PDA

View Full Version : How do Gears & LSD work?!?

Miguel
06-01-2003, 03:01 PM
3.64 differential... 3.25 .... what does it mean? which is better?

also, limited slip differential... how does it work and what is so good about it?

330DTM
06-01-2003, 04:20 PM
I won't get down to the nitty gritty, but the the higher the differential number, the shorter the gearing will be. As a result you'll get better acceleration but sacrifice some loss in top end speed. However if you go for a lower differential number, the gearing will be taller. Some acceleration will be sacrificed and top end speed gained. The difference you will feel depends how much increase/decrease you go from your current setup.

As to which is better, it depends on your application. Obviously people would say going to a higher diff number is better. It's like a poor man's version of a supercharger. Another thing is that if you go for a higher diff gearing I believe that your fuel consumption will go up a bit since cruising at 100km/h (for example) will result in a slightly higher rpm than stock setup.

One thing to note is I think MP328 has a site in which it does some calculations for changing your diff providing you the RPM and SPEED relativity.

330DTM
06-01-2003, 04:31 PM
Again I won't get into the technical aspect, but an LSD pretty much invovles clutch packs which grab the discs in the diff and restrict wheel spin by splitting the torque to the other wheel. Diff's also have different lock up percetages. i.e. 15%,40%,60%, etc.

With an Open diff, it will allow you to spin the inside driving wheel when going around corners making it tough to accelerate.

For people who like to put on a show, a LSD is pretty helpful if you like doing donuts (no more of that big circle donut with the inside wheel only spinning). I "THINK" it's also easier to control the drift if you like drifting.

The only drawback is, if you abuse the LSD too much you can possibly crack the mechanical parts inside. Ask Sicfingas, he'll tell you his stories.
:D

Miguel
06-01-2003, 05:23 PM
now THAT is how you answer a question!

thanks bud!

Bigbore
06-01-2003, 05:58 PM
to add...an LSD is also called a tourque bais differential, for the reason that it moves the power from the wheel that requires more effort to spin, rather then your open diff that spins the easiest tire...