PDA

View Full Version : air intake question

tokayd
06-01-2003, 11:21 AM
Hi Guys,

Is it true that wrapping foil paper around the factory intake will make it act like a cold intake as it will block the heat coming from the engine....I heard that there are some intake systems made out of heat resistent material (replacing the stock intake in the same size and shape)which can help you gain 6+ hp. unlike open air filters these systems wont let the dust escape into the engine as you are still using the stock air filter and unlike cold air intakes you dont have the risk of filling up the engine with water while going through a pond of rain water........Let me know if you have anything about these and who produce them... Thanks....

BMW_M52_M20
06-01-2003, 11:12 PM
Man, grab a CAI and buy/make a heat sheild, it work really well. I bought my heat sheild from ECISBMW and it really blocks the heat out well, it is cold all the time while moving....
Jay

Autotechnica
06-02-2003, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by tokayd
Hi Guys,

Is it true that wrapping foil paper around the factory intake will make it act like a cold intake as it will block the heat coming from the engine....I heard that there are some intake systems made out of heat resistent material (replacing the stock intake in the same size and shape)which can help you gain 6+ hp. unlike open air filters these systems wont let the dust escape into the engine as you are still using the stock air filter and unlike cold air intakes you dont have the risk of filling up the engine with water while going through a pond of rain water........Let me know if you have anything about these and who produce them... Thanks....

I think your talking about the fogged air box designed by Shawn Fogg. He just sticks a pipe going from the brake duct into the stock air box. You have to cut a hole so you can stick the pipe into the box. Then you need to make some brakets to hold it up. I don't know whether or not you will get 6+HP. It's not actually sucking in more air, just colder dense air, assuming the outside temp. is optimal.

Tin foil or any shiney material (such as Gold) is a heat reflector. It simply reflects heat. It will make some difference and it is a common pratice for people who run turbo systems.

Bry