PDA

View Full Version : blow off valve

burnhard22
05-31-2003, 10:30 PM
Where can one find a turbo blow off valve for an E30, are they basically universal or do you have to contact the kit mfg?
Also where can 1 pick up a VDO boost gauge?
No reason just asking...teehee
*wave* *smoke*

KIRASIR
05-31-2003, 11:41 PM
1) Ebay, if you want it for cheap. There is a pretty nice one for sale right now. Search for BOV

2) www.driverfx.ca or Canadian Tire(has to be ordered from the performance catalog) I actually have a spare VDO boost gauge but I already promised it to someone else.

SL

Originally posted by burnhard22
Where can one find a turbo blow off valve for an E30, are they basically universal or do you have to contact the kit mfg?
Also where can 1 pick up a VDO boost gauge?
No reason just asking...teehee
*wave* *smoke*

qimis
05-31-2003, 11:43 PM
is that the stuff that makes your car goes brrruummmmmmmmm ..... CHHHHHSSSSSS ...

when you shifting ? :)

Soldo
06-01-2003, 04:38 AM
Originally posted by qimis
is that the stuff that makes your car goes brrruummmmmmmmm ..... CHHHHHSSSSSS ...

when you shifting ? :) Thats it, the blow off valve is a lil GARBAGE disposal you add to the turbo, and what it does it releases all the air that the turbo is spooling up when you let go of the gas as to not let the air keep blowing in the engine even with your foot off the gas since the turbo would still be spining, and thats what creats that PTTTTTTTTSSSSSSSSSSS sound!
(you write it how ever the hell you wanna i guess!)

burnhard22
06-01-2003, 12:51 PM
I am under the asummption they are universal.
I don't care too much on the sound it makes but I thought
that even though the waste gate serves some similar purpose as per E46 lover-I want to make sure reliability and performance of the turbo are maintained.
If you let off while in full throtle or what ever-doesn't the remaining exhaust have to be expelled? Will this not damage the turbo in the long run?
PLs give me your thoughts
*smoke*

330DTM
06-01-2003, 10:04 PM
A BOV or BPV is used to release the air out to the atmosphere, since when you back off the throttle, the throttle plate closes (but I believe not fully) and thus I "THINK" it creates a surge and wants to push the air back to the turbo (I could be wrong on this but I think it sounds abouty right). This could cause some damage to the turbo in the long run.

If you notice where a BOV is installed it deals with the intake air coming from the compressor side of the turbo. The BOV does not interact with the exhaust gas at all.

I still think By Pass Valves (BPV) are more effective and as strange as it sounds, sometimes a BOV may not work properly on certain applications. It happened to my A4 buddy and a owner of an E36 M3 AA Turbo.