PDA

View Full Version : Location of VIN (323i)

Slow36
04-05-2013, 03:15 PM
Hey guys, I'm buying a 323i with 360,000km's on the body but the guy selling the car says the engine has been replaced with 180ish km'smotor. I'm just wondering if there's a visible vin on the engine that I could match up with therest to see if it's actually a different motor? if not is there another way of finding out?

nnnalex
04-07-2013, 06:21 PM
The is no tag on the engine that will correspond with the car VIN.

There are tags on the back of the block, right below the 2 half moons on the head, but they are not in any way tagged to the cars VIN. So basically there is absolutely no way to tell if the engines been replaced.

Unless the guy has paperwork showing prove that he did what he did or if the engine is a different engine (so not an M52tub25), you should not believe him.

But that doesnt matter, why are you scared of the miles. Miles mean nothing on a M52tub/m54 motors, its the way they been take car of. I've seen some M54s that been toast by 150k and many that run better then new even after 400k.

Get maintenance records , prove that the cars been maintained, using correct oil etc ...

good luck , and I hope you arent paying more then 1000 for that car . Are you?

Slow36
04-07-2013, 06:29 PM
Thanks for the response! Unfortunately I paid $2,500 for it -__-'

I got him to sign papers agreeing to refund my money should I find out it wasn't a swapped engine. Kind of regretting this purchase :(

nnnalex
04-09-2013, 10:56 PM
O oh. I hate to say that but you paid double for the car that aint worth half of it.

I really hope the car was maintained, I just dont want you to realise that you need to replace all your bushes, control arms, all struts a complete new cooling system , ccv and clutch within the next 2-3 months.

Best of luck with it.

Care to post some pics. I used to have a 99 323i, who knows , it could be my very old car ....

Slow36
04-10-2013, 11:29 AM
It needs all of the stuff listed above with the exception of the clutch, ccv, and cooling system (as far as I know) it also has a cracked subframe.... But I lucked out. The dude that sold it to me got a invalid safety so the mechanic that did the safety has to fix everything out of his pocket. I will need to do a compression test on the engine (because I'm not 100% sure of he swapped it) before I start doing some engine upgrades. I'm a fourm Noob lol, how do I uploaded pics?

ac_2007
04-13-2013, 02:47 AM
You got a great deal on the car if suspension/rust/transmission aren't issues.

Don't listen to nalex, he doesn't know what he's talking about.