PDA

View Full Version : e46 stearing wheel shakes

blackbeamer
04-01-2013, 07:57 PM
hey
everytime i break, my steering wheel shakes/rattles. Ive taken it to Europa Bimmex and they said i need to change my control arm and other components so i did. Within 2 months i have encountered the same problem :( ( i have not got into any accidents)

Im reluctant to take it back to that shop as I feel like they are not sincere and have recently heard bad reviews

has anyone had this problem before, suggestions or know what might be causing this? its a 330ci

thanks for the help

madonthemike
04-01-2013, 11:44 PM
Condition of your brake rotors? I know warped rotors can cause that.

Worn front control arm bushings are quite common on these cars. Did you replace them with the control arms? but wait you said it went away for a while, then came back?

blackbeamer
04-02-2013, 08:20 AM
yea the problem went away for about 2 months and came back.

According to my receipt, i changed both control arm bushing, front right caliper, and had my tires rotated and balanced.

Im not sure about the condition of the rotors but i will get it checked out thanks

blakneto
04-02-2013, 02:31 PM
Check your wheel and see if one is darker than the other... You could have a caliper issue.
Warped rotor.
Control arm bushing.
Busted sway bar end link.
Busted tie-rod.
Bad rims.
Brake fluid fuel change.

Could be a lot of things...
These are my best guess, I don't profess to be a mechanic or even a knowledgeable person. :p

AutoWerkez
04-03-2013, 08:36 AM
Make sure your wheels are balanced correctly, that would cause it too.

nnnalex
04-03-2013, 09:14 PM
yea the problem went away for about 2 months and came back.

According to my receipt, i changed both control arm bushing, front right caliper, and had my tires rotated and balanced.

Im not sure about the condition of the rotors but i will get it checked out thanks

You didnt replace the control arms themself. Why?

Check the condition of your rotors, remember you can NOT machine them. They dont have much meat from factory anyway. Check the MIN spec thats stamped on the hub and measure the rotors. Either way, I guarantee then need replacing.

Also, did you get an alignment after the suspension parts change? If not, then get it

nab24-
04-04-2013, 01:29 PM
Could be as simple as dirt on your rims as well throwing off the balance of the tire. Usually more noticable at speeds over 60, but it is a possibilty. Just had to do this for my buddies car. But yea it say if its only under braking your rotor is warped, or a bushing.
Good luck, hope you get it solved :)!