PDA

View Full Version : burning smell coming from seats

rider-.
03-29-2013, 11:33 PM
Hey guys,

Yesterday I noticed a burning smell had filled the cabin after i had turned on the heated seats in my e46. (sports seats) now every time i turn the driver seat on i smell this. It smells like melting plastic. I stopped using them for now but I miss them already. Anyone else have this issue? do I need to replace the seat?

rider-.
04-02-2013, 09:30 AM
Anyone? It smells like a hot glue gun!

Blades
04-02-2013, 09:38 AM
whatever you do don't fart in them ..car could explode

you would most likely need to take your seat covers off the foam and take a look. Maybe something fell in to make the smell .. the heating elements are attached to the foam if I recall with a wiring running underneath.

X3 did have a recall on heated seats as they would get to hot and burn ass for lack of a better term.

pawelgawel
04-02-2013, 06:44 PM
Check your wiring.. you might be melting one of the wires

Ceeker
04-02-2013, 07:26 PM
your seat heater element maybe on its way out; not uncommon. This will cause the seat cushion to overheat and start melting. it's been known to burn through at times. Find out where the smell is coming from when you turn on the heater. As suggested it could be the wiring aside from the heater element.

also, glide your hand over the surface of the seat cushion and seat back to see where there might be a hot spot greater then the cushion itself. That will tell you it's the heater element.

TMW
04-10-2013, 06:52 PM
I've seen a few vinyl seats in e46's that look like a cigarette was bouncing around, and it turns out it was the seat heater elements.

rider-.
04-12-2013, 09:27 AM
yea i found a hole in the seat when I turned the heater on to see where the smell was coming from. Is it even worth changing the element or should I just buy a new seat???

Blades
04-12-2013, 09:30 AM
yea i found a hole in the seat when I turned the heater on to see where the smell was coming from. Is it even worth changing the element or should I just buy a new seat???

If you can get a hold of Fil or any others that part out BMW's it might be cheaper and less time to get one used one BUT I think one thing you need to look out for is connecting the new seat as I recall something about the airbag connected to the seatbelt in some way in terms of codes.

Ceeker
04-12-2013, 09:42 AM

check with a tech to see what is required to replace the heater element. removal of the seat might require the seat belt/air bag over ride. Getting another used seat might get you back into the same problem eventually.

TMW
04-12-2013, 10:46 AM
Perfect excuse to get some Recaro's :)

I think the stealership sells the seat elements and cover for $400+

might be better off going used.

OR get leather seats. I haven't come across a customer with burnt leather seats from fried elements.

Vinyl seats burning up is pretty common.