PDA

View Full Version : picking up a 03m3,smg

2bmwguy
02-17-2013, 05:04 PM
It's at the automall in saga for 12999 the yellow one ,going to do it on Tues.its just money.

2bmwguy
02-17-2013, 05:07 PM
Back to two BMW's in the driveway again.

2bmwguy
02-20-2013, 05:32 PM
Put the deposit on it. Yahoo,

propr'one
02-20-2013, 05:47 PM
have the SMG pump checked out. 13K for a M3 is a pretty good deal, but if you gotta spend 3K on a SMG pump right after you get it, you wont be happy.

Congrats mang.

2bmwguy
02-20-2013, 06:26 PM
It drove good, but.... your right, I'll get it checked.

dbworld4k
02-20-2013, 07:32 PM
Saw that listing on Kijiji several weeks ago. Price seemed pretty good, did you check for any accident history? The front bumper was scuffed up quite a bit, and the steering wheel looked rather terrible. it IS a $13k M3, so I'm sure it need a bit of TLC. Congrats.

2bmwguy
02-20-2013, 08:10 PM
They fixed the wheel it had an accident but fixed at BMW. Ya 13k works for me .thx.

dbworld4k
02-20-2013, 08:52 PM
That explains everything.

Eurostyle
02-20-2013, 09:24 PM
Good luck, looking for the Made in China M3 thread by mid summer for a 12k SMG!!!

Spend more, buy better is what I always say...but to each his own

2bmwguy
02-20-2013, 09:47 PM
Lol to the China thread.Lol, but that's what I can afford, two cars I'm lucky to have. Thx buddy

Eurostyle
02-21-2013, 12:59 AM
Lol to the China thread.Lol, but that's what I can afford, two cars I'm lucky to have. Thx buddy

For just a bit more you can get a low KM, few years newer, mint 330ci M-package...Will be FAR more reliable, keep its value better, and bring real driving pleasure. Who cares if you got 333Hp if they spend most of the time sitting in a shop getting fixed.

Its like those people who buy $7000 745's and wonder why they have problems! lol

ac_2007
02-21-2013, 01:30 AM
I personally test drove this vehicle.

No offense to the OP, but this particular M3 is in horrible condition. It is a beater M3.

- The front bumper is torn, and the rear one has a huge gash in it. They both need a respray.
- All four wheels are severely curb rashed.
- Everything from the door trim, steering wheel, center console, and driver's leather seat looks like it belongs in a junkyard.

That said, the engine sounded good and pulled well. Suspension seemed planted, but the car did pull to the right.

I will never be buying an SMG, and this is the car which convinced me against it. You will need several thousand dollars to bring this car up to cosmetic standard. Good luck.

ac_2007
02-21-2013, 01:35 AM
Saw that listing on Kijiji several weeks ago. Price seemed pretty good, did you check for any accident history? The front bumper was scuffed up quite a bit, and the steering wheel looked rather terrible. it IS a $13k M3, so I'm sure it need a bit of TLC. Congrats.

And to answer your question, yes it had a whopping 13k accident claim several years ago, and another sub-1k claim more recently.

No documentation to evidence that the repair work was done at BMW, but that was the salesman's approach with me also.

Seyar
02-21-2013, 01:44 AM
I also test drove this car and the body was really rough. Had a clean title but had a 13k repair in 2006-07. OP you should've spent 3-4k extra and got something in better conditon.

2bmwguy
02-21-2013, 06:46 AM
Lol, I want the power,the smg and the look.wow

2bmwguy
02-21-2013, 06:49 AM
I want a m3 not a 330.and I rather have two M's than one mint 330.

lvan
02-21-2013, 08:49 AM
I would not even test drive that M3 when I saw that wheel. This must be some sort of joke. . An 330Ci is also overkill for Toronto when you see that this city is drowning in traffic, and no soultions on a hirozon.....

2bmwguy
02-21-2013, 08:57 AM
That wheel is fixed !! Go there and see for your self.and!!! I'm not entering it a car show.

2bmwguy
02-21-2013, 09:12 AM
it's still a m3. And it's going to be mine this weekend.

T.Dot_E30
02-21-2013, 10:16 AM
Looks like it could use some TLC, but if you are handy, it shouldn't be a problem bringing it back up to shape.

I will never be buying an SMG, and this is the car which convinced me against it.

Any particular reason why? IMO it's a better compromise than a fully automatic car for those come from a manual but need a semi auto for other reasons. At slow speeds it isn't as good as a dual clutch, but your also not getting a dual clutch performance car around this price point. If you are coming from an automatic, then I understand why you wouldn't like it.

For less than $20k, there really isn't a better sequential gearbox in a car that offers this much performance. Anything else and your stuck with an auto. I didn't mind it and was looking for an SMG car so my wife could drive it. I couldn't find an e46 in a color combo I wanted or I would have bought one. Now im looking for something newer.

2bmwguy
02-21-2013, 10:19 AM
I have a 6 speed car,and I liked my buddys smg .so just wanted one .but not to brake the bank.

propr'one
02-21-2013, 10:20 AM
i disagree with what most of the people posted in this thread.

i bought one of my recent cars quite cheap cause it needed some work. all said and some, i did lots of the work myself, i have a great mechanic i trust 100% to do the rest, and now i have a car that is worth a fair bit more than i have in it.

s54's are bulletproof, outside of the vanos cam failure and bearings in the bottom end. if you are looking for a showcar you would've bought something else. if you just want something fast to bomb around in, you're in a good way. just make sure the SMG is good, cause that can be a huge expense right up front.

BTW i've seen a few e46 m3's sell on ebay for 8-10K US. I promised myself something AWD for winter, though.

2bmwguy
02-21-2013, 10:38 AM
Exactly!! I just wanna rip,not look gay about it.

2bmwguy
02-21-2013, 10:43 AM
And BTW some here may know I have 2 little kids ,two mortgage,so...I'm good with my cars.

bmwm5lover
02-21-2013, 11:31 AM
Enjoy it, sometimes people do not want the "creme-de-la-creme" because they know it will be used heavily and eventually get scuffed up, dinged up, etc.

I've driven 2 SMG cars, e60 550iMsport and e60 M5 and I absolutely HATED it other than the fact it felt really cool to shift F1 style. To each their own.

T.Dot_E30
02-21-2013, 11:36 AM
I've driven 2 SMG cars, e60 550iMsport and e60 M5 and I absolutely HATED it other than the fact it felt really cool to shift F1 style. To each their own.

Saying you hate something without stating why is a pretty useless comment, just sounds like your jumping on the hate bandwagon *wave*

E36&8
02-21-2013, 01:49 PM
Good price! I am sure this one is Made in Germany!!

2bmwguy
02-21-2013, 02:03 PM
Good price! I am sure this one is Made in Germany!!

Lol.thx

ac_2007
02-21-2013, 02:22 PM
Looks like it could use some TLC, but if you are handy, it shouldn't be a problem bringing it back up to shape.

Any particular reason why? IMO it's a better compromise than a fully automatic car for those come from a manual but need a semi auto for other reasons. At slow speeds it isn't as good as a dual clutch, but your also not getting a dual clutch performance car around this price point. If you are coming from an automatic, then I understand why you wouldn't like it.

For less than $20k, there really isn't a better sequential gearbox in a car that offers this much performance. Anything else and your stuck with an auto. I didn't mind it and was looking for an SMG car so my wife could drive it. I couldn't find an e46 in a color combo I wanted or I would have bought one. Now im looking for something newer.

This is the second SMG I’ve driven. Both were similar experiences, although the first M3 I test drove was under better conditions. (open road, little traffic, more time since not on my lunch break) Now, granted there is definitely a learning curve and certain “tricks” an SMG driver will learn over time, the whole design seems like a one-off concept in its infancy. Having the flappy paddles turn WITH the wheel was one of my biggest pet peeves, and a major design flaw in my opinion. It creates confusion, and difficulty for a driver to adjust to one shifting method (paddles VS shifter).

Auto mode as I’m sure 9/10 M3 drivers agree is abysmal, jerky, and unpredictable given the many driving situations one faces on a daily basis.
Even in a normal S3-S4 mode, SMG will be occasionally annoy you with a lurch or jerk when you’re just trying to drive leisurely.
Taking off quickly from a standstill can prove to be dangerous as the driveline isn’t as responsive. There are many scenarios I could divulge.

I didn’t mention the expensive ~3k pump repair that is a given with this technology, on top of the clutch/flywheel which can easily be damaged by someone unfamiliar with how a manual gearbox works.

If I wanted a compromise, dual-clutch gearboxes are readily available in GTI’s, and they work flawlessly.
That said, I understand the desire it fulfils to throw it into auto mode for city driving, and also the enthusiast mindset that “I have an actual manual gearbox in there”.
To each their own.

Blades
02-21-2013, 02:24 PM
Saying you hate something without stating why is a pretty useless comment, just sounds like your jumping on the hate bandwagon *wave*

No Clutch ..

http://starberryicecream.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/hated-it.jpg

ac_2007
02-21-2013, 02:32 PM

I originally thought that you were the buyer who the dealership had described was “planning to strip it and make it a track toy”.

Like with SMG, to each their own. I personally couldn’t be happy staring at a busted interior every day, but you’ll definitely enjoy going fast.

dbworld4k
02-21-2013, 02:41 PM
I originally thought that you were the buyer who the dealership had described was “planning to strip it and make it a track toy”.

Like with SMG, to each their own. I personally couldn’t be happy staring at a busted interior every day, but you’ll definitely enjoy going fast.
Yeah. One of my biggest pet peeves. A very rough interior/exterior ruins most of the enjoyment, but it's the fact it had been in a five figure wreck that kills it, IMO. But, that's why it's not my car. Lol.

Eurostyle
02-21-2013, 02:46 PM

I hate them because they are unreliable compared to a regular 6spd...The amount of people who have problems with them is just crazy. All the hydrolics and controls tend to go way more than they should, fixing it does not come cheap...AND you still have to worry about regular clutch change when the time comes! So cost wise it will be same as an automatic AND a manual put together...

Thants just my 2cents on them.

BMW_M_POWER
02-21-2013, 03:13 PM
For most people who are anal about every little detail may not like this car but for others it makes sense because If you look at the prices range of E36 M3s there are people still asking 10+ for decent ones. For the OP it makes more sense for an extra 3k he is already ahead of the game.

ex3mal
02-21-2013, 10:06 PM
haters will hate. i pickt up my car 3 years ago for 9800(2003 e46 m3) with minor front accident but clean title, i drove the car to me body worker and it cost me 3800 for all repairs and repaint. and i went to test drive this car as well just of curiosity and it was ok, if u wanna to replace some body or interior its easy to get now. as long its good mechanical condition.

2bmwguy
02-21-2013, 10:24 PM
haters will hate. i pickt up my car 3 years ago for 9800(2003 e46 m3) with minor front accident but clean title, i drove the car to me body worker and it cost me 3800 for all repairs and repaint. and i went to test drive this car as well just of curiosity and it was ok, if u wanna to replace some body or interior its easy to get now. as long its good mechanical condition.

Yes,.same here.drove it ran realy strong had no mechanical problems , ok it had a front end accident. oh well.....it's still a m3. It's bought its mine I don't care what haters have to say negative pieces of shits. pull beside me and I'll whopp ur ass.I'm done later .

ex3mal
02-21-2013, 10:37 PM
I live close to oakville. When it get warmer ill pull out my car and we can go for some cruze

2bmwguy
02-21-2013, 10:45 PM
I live close to oakville. When it get warmer ill pull out my car and we can go for some cruze

Cool pm me.

dbworld4k
02-21-2013, 11:40 PM
Wreckers bromance.

Seyar
02-22-2013, 01:36 AM
If your looking for the cheapest m3 out there then maybe you shouldn't be buying a m3 because maintenance is NOT going to be cheap.... Just my .02 cents. But Since its already yours have fun with it.

gruppusol
02-22-2013, 01:57 AM
just slowly bring that thing back to life - do your own maintenance and you'll save yourself some money.

Eurostyle
02-22-2013, 02:26 AM

And BTW some here may know I have 2 little kids ,two mortgage,so...I'm good with my cars.

Maybe you should just grow up, take care of your kids and other obligations and stop "ripping" it....Buy an SUV if a minivan is too "gay" for ya!
If you already have an M5, that should be fun enaugh...(for most people anyways!)*th-up*

starbuck
02-22-2013, 03:16 AM
What's with all the hostility in this thread

2bmwguy
02-22-2013, 06:35 AM
Maybe you should just grow up, take care of your kids and other obligations and stop "ripping" it....Buy an SUV if a minivan is too "gay" for ya!
If you already have an M5, that should be fun enaugh...(for most people anyways!)*th-up*

Hey.. my wife has a suv. And I can do what ever the fck** I want.

2bmwguy
02-22-2013, 11:37 AM
If your looking for the cheapest m3 out there then maybe you shouldn't be buying a m3 because maintenance is NOT going to be cheap.... Just my .02 cents. But Since its already yours have fun with it.

I used to have a 7 sec twin Turbo mustang, I'm handy.and my father,n,law owns a shop. I'm OK.

SiR
02-22-2013, 11:50 AM
oh darn. Ive been eyeing that car for a while ...and was just thinking Id go drive it this weekend to see whats up.

good price for sure but its rough ...and with smg itll give you some issues in future so be ready

bmwm5lover
02-22-2013, 12:06 PM

Not at all! I have no reason to hate it other than personal preference.
It is extremely jerky, and when you have it in auto mode it feels like the car is broken (something about the way it delays to shift while you as the driver are not doing anything). Reversing and taking off from a stop even in high mode is just a joke and annoying. I did enjoy it while I was flat out accelerating and shifting faster than anyone of us ever could.
Just not my cup of tea.

Anyway, we are getting off topic.
Enjoy your car dude, is it the yellow one I saw?

2bmwguy
02-22-2013, 12:47 PM
Yes the yellow one.I understand what your saying about the smg ,at least your not knocking me for buying it.

EMPOWERD
02-22-2013, 12:48 PM
I'm got an SMG in my '02 M3 and LOVE IT. If I had to replace my car with another E46 M3.. it'd be SMG again. The "haters" on here don't like it because they don't know how to drive an SMG. Test driving one for a few KM's does not do it justice. Even in Auto mode, the thing is brilliant. THE SECRET??? all in your right foot. You can leave the speed-shift button all the way to the fastest and still make the tranny granny-shift if you lift slightly with your right foot just as it shifts. It's all timing and finesse. Once you get good, you can drive around rush-hour in the fastest shift mode balancing a glass of water on the dashboard without spilling.

Maintenance costs? Well, of course there's that pump ($2000 new @GetBMWParts) that I already replaced, and the odd relay but that's pretty much it. The clutch kit is the same as a regular 6-spd. In fact, if you're not the best driver and have bad habits riding the clutch on inclined red-lights, you'll probably wear out the clutch on a 6-spd faster than if you had an SMG. Either way, it's a fraction of the cost of repairing a newer DSG gearbox. If/when I move to an E92 M3... that will have 3 pedals thank you. There's good reasons why many top-manufacturers (Lambo/Koenigsegg/Pagani etc) still use single-clutch semi-auto boxes.

ex3mal
02-22-2013, 01:14 PM
It take me over month to drive smg properly and I have no complains now.

dbworld4k
02-24-2013, 12:34 AM
I'm got an SMG in my '02 M3 and LOVE IT. If I had to replace my car with another E46 M3.. it'd be SMG again. The "haters" on here don't like it because they don't know how to drive an SMG. Test driving one for a few KM's does not do it justice. Even in Auto mode, the thing is brilliant. THE SECRET??? all in your right foot. You can leave the speed-shift button all the way to the fastest and still make the tranny granny-shift if you lift slightly with your right foot just as it shifts. It's all timing and finesse. Once you get good, you can drive around rush-hour in the fastest shift mode balancing a glass of water on the dashboard without spilling.

This is precisely what I have heard time and again from people who actually OWN these cars.

I don't know why the onlookers constantly dog on SMGs. You'd think if it was that hated, every single day, by all of BMW's *paying* customers, they'd have changed it. Yet, the vast majority of E46 M3s and E60 M5s were ordered by choice, and produced with this so-called-hard/unliveable transmission for nearly a whole decade.

The first time I actually put one through it's pace was yours, Randy. Gotta say, it was a freakin' blast pulling off those hard, angry, raw shifts in S6. That can be quite addicting. I can see myself owning one of these some day in a car that's used frequently.

2bmwguy
02-24-2013, 01:22 AM
I enjoyed driving the smg I had no problems , picking up the car Monday.and got up to 5000 warranty on drivetrain for 3 yrs.

EMPOWERD
02-26-2013, 11:41 AM
Thread cleaned up. Lets keep this on topic and refrain from personal attacks please.

2bmwguy
02-26-2013, 12:55 PM

M5. Clone.!!

dbworld4k
02-26-2013, 01:32 PM
Really? Still going on with the juvenile banter after a moderator cleaned it up?

bmwm5lover
02-26-2013, 01:34 PM
Wow, I read all of the posts b4 the clean up, this has, by far, been the most childish exchange of insults I've ever seen on Max.
We should have an award.

Anyway, 2bmwguy, post some detailed pictures of your M3, there might be some inexpensive ways of correcting some of the cosmetic issues your new car has that will make it much nicer overall and get you tinkering with it.
Instead of insulting each other, use the knowledge that some of the guys like Eurostyle have to better your ride.

Just a positive thought. :)

2bmwguy
02-26-2013, 01:40 PM
Wow, I read all of the posts b4 the clean up, this has, by far, been the most childish exchange of insults I've ever seen on Max.
We should have an award.

Anyway, 2bmwguy, post some detailed pictures of your M3, there might be some inexpensive ways of correcting some of the cosmetic issues your new car has that will make it much nicer overall and get you tinkering with it.
Instead of insulting each other, use the knowledge that some of the guys like Eurostyle have to better your ride.

Just a positive thought. :)

Yes, your right.if you go back and see my posts, I did not start any of this,I will counter back I'm not scared.you and me have made some deals in the past,I'm a good guy and so Are you. I will never. Buy anything at bummer heaven after this.

bmwm5lover
02-26-2013, 01:46 PM
Yes, your right.if you go back and see my posts, I did not start any of this,I will counter back I'm not scared.you and me have made some deals in the past,I'm a good guy and so Are you. I will never. Buy anything at bummer heaven after this.

Yes, I have sold you a few things and you are a straight up guy for sure which is why I am trying to steer the conversation in a positive direction. For everyone's sake :)

Eurostyle
02-26-2013, 01:51 PM

If you go a re-read my posts, i was not attacking you, so no need to be scared. I stated my oppinion on SMG, and on "economy" M cars. Thats ALL.

I didnt make any personal insults, unlike you.
If you like your car, enjoy it, i couldnt be happyer for you. *wave*

hardparking
02-26-2013, 02:37 PM
I read the posts as well this morning and I don't get the point you were trying to prove "2bmwguy" is it that you have more money than eurostyle because you have the car with the "m" badge? You already admitted you have a mortgage and like to buy cheap cars so I don't get your reasoning. He could easily sell his "fake m5" for much more than your m3..

dbworld4k
02-26-2013, 03:00 PM

1) Who cares who started it? That level of childsplay is befitting children, not grown adults.
2) No one is going to think you're a hero for "countering back." As a matter of fact, had you remained silent and ignored the remarks (which Eurostyle didn't really make to insult you directly in the first place) you come out as the better and more mature person in the eyes of your peers. The only people who are impressed by stupid back and forth insults are those with smaller minds, who you shouldn't be seeking to impress in the first place...
3) Calling it Bummer Heaven is another little unnecessary cheap shot.

Grow up a little...

2bmwguy
02-26-2013, 06:14 PM
I read the posts as well this morning and I don't get the point you were trying to prove "2bmwguy" is it that you have more money than eurostyle because you have the car with the "m" badge? You already admitted you have a mortgage and like to buy cheap cars so I don't get your reasoning. He could easily sell his "fake m5" for much more than your m3..

My reasoning was that I own a real m5 and a real m3 from factory!! not a clone that I built.

2bmwguy
02-26-2013, 06:21 PM
1) Who cares who started it? That level of childsplay is befitting children, not grown adults.
2) No one is going to think you're a hero for "countering back." As a matter of fact, had you remained silent and ignored the remarks (which Eurostyle didn't really make to insult you directly in the first place) you come out as the better and more mature person in the eyes of your peers. The only people who are impressed by stupid back and forth insults are those with smaller minds, who you shouldn't be seeking to impress in the first place...
3) Calling it Bummer Heaven is another little unnecessary cheap shot.

Grow up a little...
When I grow up I wanna be just like you.

BlkGold
02-28-2013, 03:50 PM
Hey 2bmwguy - did you pick up the yellow M3 yet? I also test drove that vehicle way back before Christmas when they wanted $14,??? for it! it was kind of beaten up inside particularly the passenger side interior door, but all in all the engine seemed solid, but the interior had some rattling. I aslo noticed that the power moonroof was a mess so I hope you got that looked after. Anyways they didn't really seem like they wanted to attempt to reach any kind of deal...the manager just kept saying I wouldn't find a vehicle in that price range....well he only wished that as a few weeks later I came across a MINT '04 M3 with a rare Carbon Black on Red model way north of Toronto for a tad cheaper...had them give me new brakes and rotors all the way around, confirmed that the SMG was in top shape as well as a full engine service all done by BMW....absolutely love the car!!!! So good luck with your purchase...maybe we'll run into each other sometime around 'Sauga!!

*wave*

2bmwguy
02-28-2013, 05:58 PM
Your car sounds good.cool,I picked mine for 12.they fixed the roof and wheel the sales man said they had spent 1500 on the car,he wasnt happy.ill see on the road foursure.

ac_2007
03-02-2013, 02:05 AM
You paid 12,500 + tax, so roughly just over 14k all in.

Make sure you take care of the failed auto-dimming rearview mirror. That can really damage the interior once it starts leaking.

Maybe we'll see you at one of the cruises coming up.

2bmwguy
03-02-2013, 08:18 AM
I have a few things to fix thats Forsure, it will keep me busy.

2bmwguy
03-17-2013, 02:48 PM
Car is running good, no problems ,. Just picked up a 540 off a friend today ,3 BMW's Lol.

hardparking
03-17-2013, 04:03 PM
I thought non M models were beneath you

2bmwguy
03-17-2013, 04:10 PM
I thought non M models were beneath you

When you get a real good deal on one, I'll take it.

2bmwguy
04-07-2013, 09:53 PM
Still running strong. No problems.ha ha ha.

ac_2007
04-13-2013, 02:49 AM
http://images.wikia.com/glee/images/4/48/Olive-thumbs-up.gif

2bmwguy
04-13-2013, 08:16 AM
Any luck on finding a m3 yet.?

2bmwguy
04-13-2013, 08:34 AM
On youtube look up ..BMW Nos..you will see a black m6 with 1300hp on a stock smg.the car has a ess supercharged +Nos on it.

2bmwguy
05-08-2013, 07:51 PM
Put a 125 shot of nos to the m3 lets see how she goes. He he

2bmwguy
05-12-2013, 12:14 AM
Hit the 125 spray today ,it went only ok, but felt the 540 I had hit stronger at all rpm. From 3000 rpm to the 7000rpm The m3 only felt to wake up only at 5000 rpm to the 7900 mark. But with some tuning on the dyno next weekend well see.