PDA

View Full Version : Driver Side Mirror Glass Replacement

madonthemike
01-15-2013, 09:03 AM
Is there any easy way of doing this, what i tried doing was tilt mirror all the way up and put a screw driver below to leverage it out, but it doesnt seem to be coming off - i feel like i might break something if i use excessive force.

Amit
01-20-2013, 03:48 PM
Try something a bit wider like a 1" putty knife wrapped in tape.

jabela
01-20-2013, 06:52 PM
It would be better to do it on a warm day. I'm waiting for a 5'C or better day, so as not to break anything.

Quickid
01-03-2014, 02:29 PM
Where did you guys buy replacement glass?

mrod
01-03-2014, 03:46 PM
Only pull from the top or bottom or you will break the glass. Also when putting it back on push from the center preferably with a small block or something to even out the pressure.
Breaking a $120 mirror is not fun.
I found ECS tuning was the best price ($120) but there is a guy on kijiji that makes just the glass for like $40. You need to heat the old glass off the carrier.

Quickid
01-03-2014, 07:58 PM
Thanks, I have been looking at ECS Tuning as well. Too bad there is no local place that sells OEM glass outside of the stealers.

xlr8nbimbo
01-06-2014, 07:54 PM
Pelican Parts has it and so does FCP Euro. Much less $$ than the stealership. It's very easy to install. I took off the old cracked mirror by looping a piece of twine around the mirror and giving it a tug - came off really easily. (A screwdriver is not the tool to use!) Reconnect the the wires from the old glass to the replacement glass and press in the new one with your hands. Piece of cake.

windwagen
01-06-2014, 08:35 PM
The previous owner of my winter beater installed a stick-on replacement over the original glass. Even the heating still works. The only reason I know about it is that they installed it crooked and I can see the original glass. I don't know where they got it, but the shape is just right....