PDA

View Full Version : 3 Series 1996 e36 Diesel Wagon - 318tds

skategoat
09-21-2012, 12:46 PM
I've been humming and hawing about selling this car but I think it's time. It's been up here before:

I bought it in June 2011 with 176,000kms on it. Now it has 213,000. I drive it every day between Burlington and Toronto.

The good:

On a $63.00 fill up, I get 900kms. And I have a bit of a lead foot.
Never failed to start even in the coldest winter mornings.
It's roomy. I can fit 185cm long snowboards in the back, no problem.
Drives smooth and the engine is very torquey, shifter is crisp. clutch good.
New battery (BMW original)
New rear shock mounts
New rear bumper
Rust repaired and repainted hatch
Nice JVC stereo head unit with Bluetooth and iPod integration
A few extra oil filters and a fuel filter
Insurance was not a problem with Dominion of Canada
Parts are not a problem - Mike at Maranello gets me everything within a week.

The not-so-good:

About a month after I bought it, the A/C compressor seized. I had the entire A/C system rebuilt for $2,300.00. Then a month ago, the compressor seized again. Out of warranty, of course. So, to get the A/C working again, you'll need a new compressor. I'm just not motivated to fix it.
The diesel pump leaks. I get a small spot of leaked fuel under the car overnight. Took it to a diesel mechanic and he suggested I leave it alone. He says it's just "sweating". Can't be much of a leak because my fuel economy hasn't changed.
It has some rust at the bottom of the doors and some scratches and small dents. It's not a show car.
Rear hatch doesn't lock/unlock with remote. You have to do it manually.

Photos are all in the link I posted above. I will try to get some updated ones. Car can be viewed in Toronto or Burlington. Price is $3,500.00 as is. I have about $10k into it (ouch!). It was certified in July '11 when someone on this board practically begged me to sell it to him and then didn't show up for our appointment. Last e-test was June '11.

If you're just curious about a e36 diesel wagon, come by my office in Burlington and I'm happy to show it to you. Just be straight up and let me know whether you're a serious buyer.

supernaught
09-21-2012, 02:41 PM
your link is to the e30 ix touring

try this one: http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143662

skategoat
09-21-2012, 03:01 PM
Doh! Can you tell I was interested in that e30 iX?

Thanks for the correction. I'll be posting some fresh photos this weekend.

BTW, don't call the guy Mark in that thread. He's the person who sold me the car. PM me here or send an email to:

skategoat25(at)yahoo(dot)ca

bmwmck
09-21-2012, 08:12 PM
Wow, I wish I was in a position to buy right now; I would be all over this. Great specimen!

skategoat
09-23-2012, 09:24 PM
Sorry I wasn't able to show the car on the weekend. Got really busy for me. I believe I've replied to all PMs. If you want to see the car, the best thing to do is come by my work this week.

PM your number and I will call you.

blk325i
09-24-2012, 12:38 AM
if only it wasn't purple..

SiR
09-24-2012, 11:19 AM
damn where was this a month ago? :/

Boxer2
09-24-2012, 11:42 AM
if only it wasn't purple..

How about a vehicle wrap? I can make it any color you want*th-up*

skategoat
09-24-2012, 01:27 PM
Photos taken today. You can see the worst of the rust in the one photo. Interior is super clean with Weathertech car mats. Rear cargo cover is there and fully functional.

Folks this is a driver. $3,500 gets you a reliable BMW that costs peanuts to run. Anyone who appreciates fine engineering in a very practical wrapper will like this car. If you're looking for a show car, look elsewhere and write a big cheque.

I own 4 cars including 3 BMWs. I am an enthusiast who takes car of his cars and doesn't skip on maintenance. I am selling because I need a truck.

skategoat
09-29-2012, 11:03 AM
Car is sold

dru2
09-29-2012, 12:44 PM
Crap I would have bought this next week!

skategoat
09-29-2012, 09:07 PM
Crap I would have bought this next week!

I got 2 texts like this today - "Dude, I was gonna come buy it this weekend!".

Arash
10-01-2012, 01:39 PM
Sorry guys :cool:

Pleasure dealing with you Henry, car is awesome! getting a fresh oil change now then into the shop for safety/etest

skategoat
10-02-2012, 12:33 PM
Thumbs up for a great buyer and nice guy. Best of luck with the car. You're going to be grinning ear-to-ear when you see your fuel bills.

Arash
10-03-2012, 03:43 PM
Thumbs up for a great buyer and nice guy. Best of luck with the car. You're going to be grinning ear-to-ear when you see your fuel bills.

I am sure I will, thanks again

SamE30e
10-03-2012, 11:50 PM
Sorry guys :cool:

Pleasure dealing with you Henry, car is awesome! getting a fresh oil change now then into the shop for safety/etest

By E-test you mean, "Look at the exhaust while it comes out and if it doesn't look like it will kill someone it passes....test"?

lol
Awesome car, I would have considered picking it up if I had known.

Arash
10-09-2012, 06:35 PM
By E-test you mean, "Look at the exhaust while it comes out and if it doesn't look like it will kill someone it passes....test"?

lol
Awesome car, I would have considered picking it up if I had known.

That's pretty much what happened... though I hear new regulations coming into effect in 6 months or so requiring certain limits for Diesel cars