PDA

View Full Version : New Brakes, did I make a mistake?

tehskeo
08-29-2012, 03:52 AM
Hey guys, I just replaced both the pads and rotors on my car. check out these pictures of my front and rear brakes:

Rear:
http://i.imgur.com/CJD6Dh.jpg

Front:
http://i.imgur.com/rz96Oh.jpg

Notice that they are both only wearing on the outer diameter of the rotor. Why is this? Have I forgotten something? The only thing I know I forgot was to lube the guide pins when I had the calipers off. Can this cause the uneven wear?

Thanks for the help!

E36is
08-29-2012, 06:33 AM
^^ yes, if you havent lubed the pins it could be binding causing the pad to drag on the rotor.

cormier
08-29-2012, 07:32 AM
Take it apart asap.. Lube the pins and if you have boots over them make sure they're in food shape so no crud gets into your grease -- I also do the edges of the pad where it slides on the caliper bracket

tehskeo
08-29-2012, 10:55 AM
Thanks guys, that's what I thought. I've only driven 100km on them or so. Will do them properly today.

I also do the edges of the pad where it slides on the caliper bracket

I also do this. I lube where they make any contact with the caliper/bracket.

cormier
08-29-2012, 11:40 AM
Cool! Make sure you use real brake lube too because they get HOT and some lubricants won't stand up

tehskeo
08-29-2012, 03:29 PM
Update: I've removed, cleaned, and greased all of the guide pins on all brakes. The fronts seem to be wearing properly now, but both rears remain unchanged. I have no idea what may be causing this now.

SiR
08-29-2012, 04:31 PM
rears will probably need a bit more time. give it a few days and recheck them.

car is braking/safe. So dont fret

cormier
08-29-2012, 05:56 PM
If you put some heat in them they may even out :D try a few hard stops to bed in

T.Dot_E30
08-29-2012, 06:07 PM
Looks like everything is put together fine, if someone was wrong you'd know right away and probably hear weird noises.

The rear pads probably need to seat properly. Did you do any type of Pad/Rotor Bed in procedure?

Like this:
http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=85

/Alessandro\
09-30-2012, 04:06 PM
Ive always use anti seize on the guide pins, is that ok or should I be using something else?

tehskeo
10-02-2012, 08:16 PM
Ive always use anti seize on the guide pins, is that ok or should I be using something else?

Anti-seize is the stuff I'll put on the sliding surfaces between the pads and the caliper bracket. I use a synthetic silicone-based grease for the guide pins. I've heard that people use anti-seize for the guide pins too, but I'm not sure if this is the best practice or if will cause any harm.

Update on my situation. Fronts are wearing normally. Rear insides of both rotors are wearing normally, but the outside is still uneven (though better than before). I will be taking the rears apart this weekend to see if there's any abnormal wear. I have a rattling brake pad anyway that I need to fix! (Though I think the rattling brake pad is not related to the uneven outer brake wear).

iverson03tj
10-08-2012, 11:29 PM
that happened to me when my rear bearings went.. check for play.. its worth a try...

tehskeo
10-09-2012, 11:12 PM
that happened to me when my rear bearings went.. check for play.. its worth a try...

I checked it out, bearings are OK!

The problem was the inside brake pad rattling against the rotor when the brakes were not applied. I've since re-seated the pad and re-lubed the sliding surfaces and the rattling problem has disappeared.