PDA

View Full Version : For Sale Rules / Moderation - Regarding Thread crapping/comments

T.Dot_E30
08-13-2012, 12:57 PM
This has always been a part of the culture here, and things only really get cleaned up after a complaint is made.

I believe it's in the rules, but everyone seems to think it is their god given right to post negative comments on other people's for sale thread, commenting and offering their unsolicited opinion.

Should we change that? or Just accept it as the norm here?

What would it take to enforce the rules below:

-Stating that the item can be found at a lower price somewhere else is strictly prohibited. It is the buyer’s responsibility to do their own research on the going price for an item and not to publicly post differences in prices that may be found. Sellers are trusting Maxbimmer to be as supportive and as positive as possible. Being courteous and professional goes a long way. If there are issues with the price, or you have a comment that you think may start controversy, then please use private message (PM).

-Cross-linking is prohibited. Do not cross-link an ad to other sites. If you're going to post an ad here, then post an ad here. Ad otherwise will be removed.

Maybe a classifies mod is needed?

cormier
08-13-2012, 04:12 PM
Those two things do happen an ungodly amount.

EMPOWERD
08-13-2012, 05:17 PM
Point taken Tevor, great feedback. I think that deserves to be made more clearly and enforced. Admin comments?

Nick_V
08-13-2012, 10:13 PM
Word. I know I've said a few stupid things in peoples' threads, but when your time comes to try to sell something, you realize how uncool it is.

Eurostyle
08-14-2012, 01:23 AM
Or how about we have a minimum # of posts before someone can make For Sale posts? So people that get banned dont just make a new account time after time! SO many actual rules are broken in this section, i doubt moderators will have time to enforce it...

BMW BMXer
08-15-2012, 01:15 PM
^ I am on a forum that has a min before sale posts. Seems to work out well.

Same forum requires photos of the product for sale with the username on a post card too.

BigD
08-15-2012, 01:41 PM
I'm on a forum that has by FAR the best classifieds idea I've ever seen. Get this: no one but the OP can post in a thread in the classifieds!!! That idea is so much win I don't know where to begin. They also don't allow bumping a classifieds thread more than once a week.

E30 Girl
08-27-2012, 12:21 PM
I'm on a forum that has by FAR the best classifieds idea I've ever seen. Get this: no one but the OP can post in a thread in the classifieds!!! That idea is so much win I don't know where to begin. They also don't allow bumping a classifieds thread more than once a week.

I like that idea if there are questions it goes through PM and people aren't going to take the time to PM someone unless there is actually a little interested in what they are selling.

T.Dot_E30
10-22-2012, 04:26 PM
This is crazy, 22 For Sale threads, all with kijiji cross links....

Bliss
10-22-2012, 06:38 PM
Great feedback and great suggestions! I agree with you guys 100%. Our classifieds area is one of the largest BMW classifieds in Canada, therefore it's quite difficult to moderate at times.

I'm game to try anything that may work for the community, and to make it much more pleasurable to post an ad.

From the suggestions in this thread, which, if any, do you all think we should look into adding or changing?

1. Having a minimum post count before being able to post in classifieds section. (maybe 40?)

2. Allowing only the OP to post in his or her classified thread.

3. Adding another moderator. This one is a given, but if you're an avid user here, and are interested in helping out the community in moderating, let me know!

Lets keep the discussion going until we hit a solution that we can try out.*th-up*

...Oh, and as for the last post, this member's classified posts were removed and a temporary ban was placed. Thanks T.Dot.

Nick_V
10-22-2012, 07:50 PM
Personally, I'm on the fence about idea #2. Yes, it would eliminate thread crapping. However, I don't know how others feel about this, but I don't see anything wrong with positive comments in a for sale thread. In some cases it probably helps generate a buzz about the item, possibly leading to a better outcome for the seller (i.e. full asking price, bidding war, etc.). Having said that, I realize that threads being bumped because of useless (yet positive) comments such as, "if my mom bumped my allowance I'd be all over this," annoys the shit out of some people. It's a fine line I guess.

Other things to consider are sellers' inboxes being full (nothing more frustrating when you're trying to buy something and can't reach the person), and the loss of the ability to call out known scams/scammers.

davericher20
10-23-2012, 02:00 AM
Theres more negative comments then positive, so im all for only the op being able to post

T.Dot_E30
10-23-2012, 11:55 AM
I think all 3 are good ideas and should be implemented.

BigD
10-23-2012, 12:39 PM
I'd volunteer to be a moderator but I'd ban 95% of the members :(

Bliss
10-24-2012, 09:50 PM
Ok, so great news! We recently added a new moderator specifically for the classifieds section. Thanks T.Dot_E30 for your offer to help out!*th-up*

Eurostyle
10-24-2012, 10:55 PM
I'd volunteer to be a moderator but I'd ban 95% of the members :(

Trust me, you were suggested YEARS ago! *th-up*

BigD
10-26-2012, 12:54 PM
Could we also make it mandatory to post a price? Unless of course, you're giving something away for free.

T.Dot_E30
10-26-2012, 12:57 PM
Could we also make it mandatory to post a price? Unless of course, you're giving something away for free.

I was thinking the same, I wasn't sure how to handle for sale threads that are created as 'Feelers'.

davericher20
10-26-2012, 01:01 PM

They would have to say.....

$0

*wiggle*

BigD
10-26-2012, 01:15 PM
I was thinking the same, I wasn't sure how to handle for sale threads that are created as 'Feelers'.

It's either for sale or it's not. If they want to discuss the possibility of a sale, there's always General Discussion etc.

E30 Girl
10-26-2012, 02:32 PM
I think feeler threads are ok but you still need to post an expected price. Feelers are feelers because there is the desire to sell and there is a price you would sell for so all that should be listed.

BigD
10-26-2012, 03:06 PM
An advertised desire to sell is... a sale. I've used feelers in the past myself but I think it's a pretty lame approach. So are you selling or not? What about a feeler purchase? Feeler sale and feeler buy... lotsa feeling. But like you said, either way, post a price. Then call it what you like.