PDA

View Full Version : E36 Fan Clutch

limenuke
07-01-2012, 01:56 PM
Happened to me this weekend. Got off the highway with nominal temps and as soon as I hit traffic, steam started slowly coming out of my hood. Temps went red. Pulled over immediately. Don't try to continue driving - you might steam all the coolant out and overheat your engine.

Popping the hood while my engine was still running lead me to realize that my fan wasn't going...no fan = no cool rad = steaming coolant.

Just wonderful. For everyone on this forum - be sure to always carry an extra bottle of premixed coolant for emergencies like this!

On that note, I need a new clutch fan badly this weekend. If you have one, let me know!

remoe36
07-01-2012, 09:06 PM
I have a pretty much brand new BEHR (Orginal Replacement) fan clutch off my 95 E36, about 330km on it. PM sent.

limenuke
07-07-2012, 03:41 PM
Will be needing a 32mm wrench. Anyone know how/where I can get my hands on one of those suckers?

c-bass
07-07-2012, 09:22 PM
you can use an adjustable wrench assuming that your fan clutch nut isn't badly seized.

Did this last week.

limenuke
07-07-2012, 09:45 PM
My adjustable wrench doesn't open up wide enough D:

and I bet it's seized pretty bad. Car has 270k and they aren't pretty ones.

Axxe
07-07-2012, 11:35 PM
Bike shops typically have them, I've never purchased one though. I have a nice narrow wide jaw adjustable wrench that I use (Channelock WideAzz 8"), works great when not seized, if seized, just put a pipe on it or use the Polish adjustable wrench (hammer and chisel). Remember it's left hand thread so clockwise is loosen.

limenuke
07-08-2012, 12:02 AM
Right on. I do a lot of work on bikes but I can't remember what a 32mm open wrench would be for...stanchions end caps are 32mm but are taken off with sockets.

I need something long enough that it stick out beyond my fan....hmm

Also why do you people always have pipes that fit on wrenches... (i dont...)