PDA

View Full Version : Chris Harris: Is technology making cars worst?

T.Dot_E30
06-28-2012, 01:33 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8h_IcLn4JSg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Discuss.
I say yes and no. Yes for the sports car or any type of driver's car, No for the daily drivers.

Problem is, only a small amount of us (Mainly car guys) feel this way and car manufactures are making cars with more and more technology and weight, and they are selling more cars (due to the general public) so they'll continue to do so.

Chris Harris has been bang , I enjoy watching alot of his videos lately.

Blades
06-28-2012, 02:59 PM
who?

NOTORIOUS VR
06-28-2012, 04:46 PM
who?

*no-no*

Blackedout95
06-28-2012, 06:09 PM
I agree, worse. I think after hitting high points or good ideas like heated seats etc it went crazy. Now it is to the point when your headlight doesnt work you could spend $$$-$1k+, ridiculous.

It is imo devaluing cars on resale, look at nearly any 7 series in the last 5 years! They are bloated pieces of crap waiting to break and cost tons to fix and thus devalue greatly. Creature comforts are great, its paying for them that isnt and for that reason alone most new tech blows.

For example, was working on a Range Rover today, no external key lock, all remote, wtf who asked for or needed the lock removed, wasnt it cool anymore to be practical :(

King Luis
06-29-2012, 08:59 AM
the issue is a lot of people these days look at a car as a device to get them from point a to b. manufactures are seeing this and creating cars with more gadgets with less emotion and interaction making cars in general numb and bland.

EMPOWERD
06-29-2012, 10:05 AM
Interesting that Chris mentions the joy of a 6spd manual gearbox (I agree with him) but then points out the shame that N.America never got the CSL (an SMG-only car). Either way, i'm VERY happy with my naturally aspirated E46 M3. Each time I drive my wife's modded 6spd E93 335i, I yearn to be back behind the wheel of my car.

BigD
06-29-2012, 10:35 AM
Interesting that Chris mentions the joy of a 6spd manual gearbox (I agree with him) but then points out the shame that N.America never got the CSL (an SMG-only car). Either way, i'm VERY happy with my naturally aspirated E46 M3. Each time I drive my wife's modded 6spd E93 335i, I yearn to be back behind the wheel of my car.

Turn up the boost, yearning will decrease :)

I think market demand will balance things out. His HiFi example is a good one. Look at the FR-S/BRZ. It's the vacuum tube amplifier. 99% of the public is happier with cars that are easier to drive, with endless presets and automated this and that. For the 1%, there you go.

DIY
06-29-2012, 11:04 AM
the issue is a lot of people these days look at a car as a device to get them from point a to b. manufactures are seeing this and creating cars with more gadgets with less emotion and interaction making cars in general numb and bland.

+1
The downward slope started with the automatic transmission, not only are the cars numb and bland the drivers are now too.. The only thinkoing drivers are now doing is what music do I want to hear :(