PDA

View Full Version : Help! 92 325i running problem

irlowe
06-20-2012, 03:40 PM
First Post, first BMW

I bought the car a couple days ago, not cerftified, as is.
Ran fine on a test drive and on the way home, until it got to operating temp. Once the car is warmed up and you accelerate, at roughly 2000 rpm it stutters and losses power but never cuts out, then quickly comes back. If you acclerate slowly it doesn't reoccur but if you try to accelerate at a normal rate it will sputter again. If it is cool it goes no problem.

OBD code shows 1444 (no faults found)
(on another note the system repeats the code over and over and over again, is it not suppossed to do the code once and end with the 1000 code?)

Any suggestions? TPS? Mass Air Flow Sensor? Fuel Pump?

Thanks for the help

sb_600
06-20-2012, 03:47 PM
My brother was having a similar problem with his M50NV swapped e30 (same engine as you).

IIRC he replaced a few sensors - intake air temp, coolant temp, and possibly crank position and the problem went away.

I'll ask him tonight to confirm

NOTORIOUS VR
06-20-2012, 03:48 PM
could be anything... but I would start by checking the MAF, vac lines and CLT sensor

irlowe
06-20-2012, 04:07 PM
Thanks have ordered some filters and some sensors already, will start to replace and test in the next couple of days and will post again with good news, but any more suggestions will be appreciated.

Bullet Ride
06-20-2012, 04:43 PM
To start, you can try unplugging the O2 and the coolant temp sensors (one at a time) and seeing if it makes a difference in how the car runs.

irlowe
06-20-2012, 11:10 PM
The car idles fine and this only occurs occasionally while under load. Most of the sensors/valves/switches/etc that I thought could be the problem are monitored by the OBD system but there is no fault code coming up. Thanks, back to the studying and testing.

irlowe
08-06-2012, 11:49 PM
So the problem was a connection on the fuel pump that had melted the plastic and allowed fuel to leak from the tank and and also cut out the pump. I was lucky I didn't blow myself up!