PDA

View Full Version : white smoke from engine bay! mechanic destroyed my car.

Randy
06-12-2012, 09:32 PM
so i dropped my car off at a mechanic and they wrecked it!

the individual (mechanic's gofer) who was supposed to move the car into the garage couldn't drive manual. here's the story:

I gave the guy my keys and he passed me the keys for the rental car.
he gets into the car, starts the engine, lunges forward and stalls. i gave him a look through the window, but let it go - whatever sometimes it happens. im a forgiving guy.

the mechanic then proceeded to drive it up the ramp into the garage bay, and that when shit hit the fan.

I dont know if he has it between gears, or in 3rd instead of 1st... but he gunned the gas and revved the engine to what im sure was past redline - AND HELD IT THERE.

I started running towards the car

white smoke started pouring out of the engine bay, there was a loud sound, and the smell of burned metal and rubber.

i banged on the glass and practically ripped him out of my car.

After an exchange of some language i threw my keys at him and told him that it was his problem now. i drove away in the loaner.

So im having it towed to another shop. this first one has agreed to pay for damages.

here's my question - what kind of damage am i expecting here?

Blackedout95
06-12-2012, 09:47 PM
Sucks, odd and youll have to see what happened, who knows until it is looked at. How did they agree to pay, verbal, get it all in writing and signed asap!

NE46IL
06-12-2012, 10:19 PM
SMH, shouldn't have brought it to RMP in the first place.

cormier
06-12-2012, 11:14 PM
Dude this sounds heartbreaking. It may even be an idea to get a police report filed so that you have something to fall back on.

I don't even know what to say about the damage-- it didn't hit anything right? Was the redlining just him being abusive to the clutch? With any luck that may have absorbed most of it...

doogee
06-13-2012, 12:17 AM
White smoke from the engine bay is from your clutch. He might of burnt it out.

Eurostyle
06-13-2012, 12:24 AM
Other then burning the clutch, nothing else can happen to a healthy car just from reving it for a few seconds (even minutes). Also very unlikely to fully burn the clutch, unless it was on its way out. It might overheat, but should be back to normal after it cools down. Never the less, bring your car to a reputable shop next time! *th-up*

blakneto
06-13-2012, 06:43 PM
SMH, shouldn't have brought it to RMP in the first place.

Don't you mean SHOULD have brought it to RMP in the first place?

Randy
06-14-2012, 12:25 AM
Thanks for the input. They've accepted liability and are accepting that I'll be using a third party mechanic. They've asked to approve the estimated bill before any repairs are done... I'll let you know how this goes.

I will be naming all the associated parties soonafter my situation is in the clear.

328IScreamer
06-14-2012, 08:29 AM
It is definitely your clutch, I have seen this exact same situation before. When driven incorrectly you'd be surprised how easy it is to completely destroy a clutch.

Ceeker
06-14-2012, 08:39 AM
Sorry, I don't buy that. a clutch get burnt out pulling up into a ramp. the clutch was on it's way out FOR SURE if for that matter it is the clutch. but the smell is probably that. even if you rode the clutch for some time it would take a while before you fried it. I think you had existing problems that were there waiting to break down. He may have just done you HUGE favor.
of course this is all my opinion. :-)

lets us know what actually went wrong.

328IScreamer
06-14-2012, 10:38 AM
Unledd he had his foot on the brake for some reason your car should have been able to make it up the ramp. That being said if he is that bad of a driver and managed to get the clutch hot enough clutches can easily brake apart on a one time screw up it doesn't have to be over time

pawelgawel
06-14-2012, 11:33 AM
take it to a BMW dealer, take the estimate and shove it up their ass holes. I don't understand people that are incapable of admitting their inexperience for the sake of their pride. there is nothing wrong with not knowing how to drive a stick (for instance).

If they won't accept the BMW estimate because of the costs, just tell them "you get for what you pay for, and you proved that".
Next... Let my lowyer call your lawyer.

Randy
06-14-2012, 08:17 PM
I don't understand people that are incapable of admitting their inexperience for the sake of their pride. there is nothing wrong with not knowing how to drive a stick (for instance).

my point exactly, this guy could have avoided a shitload of headaches if he just admitted that he couldn't drive it. He was completely clueless - had the accelerator floored despite the needle being in the red, despite the screaming of the motor, despite the white smoke bellowing out of the hood.... what an idiot.

E30S54
06-14-2012, 08:30 PM
What shop was this?

Maple
06-14-2012, 09:38 PM
Why dont you just tell us the name of the shop?

Ceeker
06-14-2012, 10:14 PM
Unledd he had his foot on the brake for some reason your car should have been able to make it up the ramp. That being said if he is that bad of a driver and managed to get the clutch hot enough clutches can easily brake apart on a one time screw up it doesn't have to be over time

I've been around a wee bit to long to by that theory. I've owned more cars then I can count from every damn make known to man..well not quite. A bmw clutch flat out breaks trying to feather the car up a ramp or even jolt it won't get smoked in a 30-60 sec stint. Something else was already present waiting to let go. IF by chance it was that- than I would say it is disgusting piece of shit car and bmw should be embarrassed to even brandish it's name all over it. which I might ad lately that is all they are producing. Especially that made in china e46 they put out. I guess that makes then equal to Cadillac cimeron. another abomination.

Axxe
06-14-2012, 10:58 PM
^ Must not be able to count very high :D

honeydew
06-19-2012, 04:08 AM
Thanks for the input. They've accepted liability and are accepting that I'll be using a third party mechanic. They've asked to approve the estimated bill before any repairs are done... I'll let you know how this goes.

I will be naming all the associated parties soonafter my situation is in the clear.

That sucks, strange behaviour from someone in that position. How'd they get the job at a shop if they couldn't drive?

Glad to hear they are taking responsibility but maybe a police report wouldn't be such a bad idea. At least write down as much as you can remember and document every action and conversation that has taken place since. I know that's a pain but people often say they'll cover it then turn around and pretend like you've never met.

Definitely do not tell us the name of the shop until it's over with. If they catch wind that despite them trying to save face by accepting responsibility that you are going to blow the whistle on them anyway that might be enough reason for them to re-neg. on the deal. (In their minds.)

Even with the law on your side it can be a marathon trying to get justice.

Good luck, Sounds like the clutch, or a head gasket.