PDA

View Full Version : Subframe recall

jrat59
06-11-2012, 03:47 PM
Hey guys,

so I called BMW Canada this morning to see what the story was with the recall, they told me it was only in the U.S.

Im pretty sure I have read online in forums etc that it was more than just the U.S.

Anyone have any ideas or has had the work/inspection done to their car??

Trying to figure out if they're just jerkin me around.

Thanks

ac_2007
06-12-2012, 01:32 AM
Read my thread here: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=12197293

Fellow fanatics, today I contacted BMW Canada @ 1-800-567-2691 and spoke with a representative about the common subframe damage problem. For anyone in Canada wondering if the class action lawsuit applies here as well, let me clarify. Legally, the lawsuit only applies federally, meaning the United States.

However, I was told that BMW is offering the inspection in Canada as well, as a courtesy to all E46 owners. There shall be no charge for inspection and repairs. It is unclear if they provide you with a loaner car, should you have this issue, but most likley up to the discretion of the specific dealership.

Furthermore, in Canada there is no apparent deadline for inspections/repairs, granted the sooner you take care of it, the better. It is advised to contact the dealership and discuss/ book the appointment, since the program is not as well known here.

Good luck to all, hopefully nobody will have issues obtaining the inspection.

jrat59
06-12-2012, 07:38 AM
So what should I do? call BMW Canada again or a dealer? what exactly should I say to BMW Canada?

They told me that we are basically shit out of luck when it comes to the subframe problem in Canada.

I dont understand how they can just let our cars stay mangled if there is a problem that they created.

Ugh fml.

ac_2007
06-12-2012, 04:20 PM
Although there is no finite deadline, it would have been much more beneficial to go do the inspection before the period expired in the states. I believe that was somewhere in Sept/Oct 2011.

Different dealerships will give you different answers. Some (willingly or not) will not know anything of the issue, while others might give a helping hand. I'd call BMWNA and try to negotiate with them to give the go-ahead for an inspection. Use the scanned image another member posted up in that thread as leverage when you go in person.

I'm curious though, you have a 330, why do you think you're having subframe issues?

pawelgawel
06-14-2012, 11:20 AM
OP...
this problem was only in the early stages of E46 batch (1999-2001).
Seeing you have an 05 330, I wouldn't worry about this at all.
If by some chance the subframe is damaged, in FULL STOCK suspension components on the car, go to one of the BMW dealers in your are and present the problem. Don't ask questions... be curtious but firm that this is a common problem with e46 and it should be covered by BMWNA.
Don't show attitude, just explain what is happening and see if they are willing to help.

jrat59
06-14-2012, 11:24 AM
OP...
this problem was only in the early stages of E46 batch (1999-2001).
Seeing you have an 05 330, I wouldn't worry about this at all.
If by some chance the subframe is damaged, in FULL STOCK suspension components on the car, go to one of the BMW dealers in your are and present the problem. Don't ask questions... be curtious but firm that this is a common problem with e46 and it should be covered by BMWNA.
Don't show attitude, just explain what is happening and see if they are willing to help.

Thanks, this helps... will try that. IF there was a problem with the subframe, would there be something I would notice during driving or anything like that?

propr'one
06-14-2012, 11:41 AM
It is not true that the subframe problem only affected early e46's. All E46's are affected. (as are e36's, Z3's, etc).

BMW still doesn't know how to make a subframe that wont incinerate itself.

pawelgawel
06-14-2012, 12:07 PM
It is not true that the subframe problem only affected early e46's. All E46's are affected. (as are e36's, Z3's, etc).

BMW still doesn't know how to make a subframe that wont incinerate itself.

That is very true... but I never heard of anyone in the 2003+ years have this issue thus far. From what I read they used a bad metal composition for a while and the problem was fixed once they brough in new sheet metal for later years.

OP..
search and google this issue... you cant miss the damage if its big enough. Sometimes you will have a ckrack that is unnoticable due to the thick undercoating.

Lift your car in the rear high enough so you can have a good look. take a flash light and inspect the four subframe bushings and the points of the floor that the bushing is bolted on to.

But like i said, it would be a real bad luck if you had this... only about 5% of all E46 have this issue.

jrat59
06-14-2012, 12:12 PM
Beautiful...

Thanks for the info.

Anything while driving that would give away that there might be problems??

pawelgawel
06-14-2012, 01:01 PM
cricking/thumping sounds, but thats in the far stages once the floor actually rips and the motion of the torque pulls and pushes the frame.

ac_2007
06-14-2012, 02:16 PM
The owner of a 328ci show car only noticed slight clunking noises at low speeds.

His subframe was completely obliterated though:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7216/7162982995_112b6ab80b_b.jpg

Again, you didn't answer why you think you need this inspection.

propr'one
06-14-2012, 02:31 PM
Pawel, i have seen 03+ cars as well as M3's and other BMW's with similar subframe failures (including stock street cars).

Where are you getting your numbers from that only 5% of e46's experienced subframe failure?

jrat59
06-14-2012, 06:07 PM
Sometimes theres a little click, but I might just be paranoid... I think its more of the fact when I let the back end go its kicks back opposite way sometimes really rough.

jrat59
06-14-2012, 06:09 PM
ac2007, do you have a pic from further out??? thats really zoomed in

ac_2007
06-14-2012, 07:35 PM
ac2007, do you have a pic from further out??? thats really zoomed in

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8143/7362526302_f68821fc8f_b.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8166/7162983067_d2691d1149_b.jpg

Maple
06-18-2012, 08:29 PM
There was never any recalls By BMW regarding E46 subfloor.

Please get your facts straight and then make your assumptions

pawelgawel
06-20-2012, 09:59 PM
no one is stating there was an official recall in canada. the US market is far larger and more people had this issue and BMWNA decided to fix this issue to thise who made it on time before the recall was ended.
Here in Canada BMW will not admit this issue, but as some lucky members here will tell you, their problem was fixed free of charge by some of the dealers.

As for my numbers (5%)... i read that on one of the sites... so basically got it out of my ass ;-)

If a large number of owners experienced this in Canada... this would become an official recall. its a safety Hazard.

Maple
06-23-2012, 07:42 PM
There was NEVER a recall by BMW. Not in Canad nor in USA. Please get your facts straight.

You understand the difference between a recall and a law suit settlement ? If not, let me elaborate on this.

A recall is when a car manufacturer discovers a problem with a particular car and recalls all of those cars to be fixed at no cost,. no matter where the car is sold.

A law suit settlement is.....well ...a law suit settlement.

Here is a history lesson on what happened and hot this whole situation started . A bunch of Americans SUED BMW of US and won . BMW of US issued a settlement statement to fix those cars for American citizens and gave a deadline for it.

LIke I said , get your facts straight first.

Settlement deadline passed and you are NOT an American citizen . Stop crying and fix your car yourself