PDA

View Full Version : Sudden Battery drain?

limenuke
05-27-2012, 03:48 PM
I started up my car today and drove it about 5km to a plaza. I always listen for my starter these days because I'm afraid that the battery will have died (car has had a weak battery in it, got it replaced, but the replacement battery died in 3 months. Now I'm extra paranoid about it and wonder if my alternator's dying - but it seems fine since my car can run fine without a battery).

If the starter churns and continously dims the lights on the dash as it starts up, I know that my battery is dying. Today, my starter was fine - came up real quick.

After parking the car, shopping and coming back to the car, I couldn't get the dang thing to start. The moment I turned the ignition, all the lights in the dash went dark but I heard absolutely no churning of the starter. I tried it again and then my dash lights wouldn't even come on. I had to get boosted to get home.

Normally, I can tell my if battery is dying from the way my car starts up. I didn't see any symptoms this time. I just lost almost all my power while I was parked out... It seems like I could have a really bad electrical connection or something somewhere?

any ideas?

propr'one
05-27-2012, 04:46 PM
did you replace the battery yourself? if so, check the connections.

otherwise, check for draw when the car is off, if none

check your alternator is charging the battery correctly

limenuke
05-27-2012, 04:59 PM
Thanks propr'one!

Electricity is a troll. My car has been starting up fine for the last 3 months. I messed with the connections and it seems that the positive terminal had a little bit of corrosion on it...rubbed that off, plugged it in, and got the juice back.

Problem resolved.