PDA

View Full Version : clutch pedal noise

jay01_brown
05-26-2012, 03:18 PM
been noticing a noise every time i engage the clutch, like a squeaking sound... as well, when i disengage i also hear a consistent noise.
throw out barring??
any help would be great
thx

E36is
05-26-2012, 06:43 PM
new clutch time.

Ceeker
05-26-2012, 06:46 PM
chances are if the release bearing is making noise the clutch may need replacing.

jay01_brown
05-27-2012, 02:51 PM
uh oh! lol
if that is the case, what are my options as far as oem kits go?
i hear a lot of people talk about an m5 clutch/flywheels as a performance upgrade
Does anyone have any info on that?

SiR
05-29-2012, 10:26 AM
the squeaking is normal.

constant noise (like water running sound) not good

Axxe
05-29-2012, 01:15 PM
Throwout bearing only makes noise when you push on the clutch. The noise you are hearing is likely the input shaft rumble common on e36's. Is the squeaking sound from the pedal or from the transmission?

T.Dot_E30
05-29-2012, 01:21 PM
Throwout bearing only makes noise when you push on the clutch. The noise you are hearing is likely the input shaft rumble common on e36's. Is the squeaking sound from the pedal or from the transmission?

Not always true, it can be the throw out bearing, mine was, which is common problem for e36s. I had the same noise on mine. It rattles as the pressure plate is turning, but once pressed it the pressure stops the rattle.

Mine eventually disintegrated and I could no longer clutch in, had to get the car towed to StanceFactory for a clutch job.

There literally was no throw-out bearing left, it was in pieces when Mike got it apart. My clutch still had lots of life, but I replaced it while in there as it probably was the factory clutch.

T.Dot_E30
05-29-2012, 01:24 PM
uh oh! lol
if that is the case, what are my options as far as oem kits go?
i hear a lot of people talk about an m5 clutch/flywheels as a performance upgrade
Does anyone have any info on that?

Unless you plan on making lots of power, I would stick with OEM SACHS.

or if you want to upgrade an M3 flywheel + M3 clutch.

Maple
05-29-2012, 04:35 PM
Do you have the violin symphony like in this video ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5ZO-YuFtMY&feature=player_embedded

If so, then it your throwout bearing. Either replace it or if you're on a budget the get a can on lithium grease and spray the TB.

Its simple, remove the slave cylinder and using a long straw spray lithium grease right all over TB, try not to get any on the clutch but its not a big deal.

Spray right on it
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=404306&d=1306083050

Make sure you dont press the clutch pedal while the slave is out.

I can guarantee that it'll work .