PDA

View Full Version : What is this knocking noise?

lucad2
05-25-2012, 09:12 AM
So I thought that it was the VANOS bolts but just got them replaced today by rocco at RMP along with valve adjustment. I also changed the Idler pulley. Defiantly runs ALOT better. <br />
<br />
It is coming from what sounds like the whole top of the engine from the front to the back. When its warm you can hear it more then if its cold (still need to confirm) I seriously have no idea and I just want to get it fixed.<br />
<br />
Noise - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poYyM-Yfocc)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jabela
05-26-2012, 09:07 AM
Which bolts did he replace? Maybe the double vanos rattle repair kit would help?
http://www.beisansystems.com/procedures/index.html

blakneto
05-27-2012, 04:54 AM
Maybe its NOT your engine...
Did you check your Front Control Arm Bushing?

jabela
05-27-2012, 03:02 PM
Engine mounts are another suspect part.

Blackedout95
05-27-2012, 03:38 PM
What did RPM say?

I mean you were just there, surely they took it for a test run after "fixing" the problem, no? Also you thought the bolts were the issue or they did, very confusing story imo. Sounds to me like you walked in and said to the experts this is the problem, they said ok, took your money and handed you your keys back.

blakneto
05-27-2012, 06:42 PM
sorry my bad... i should have checked the video... i thought you were hearing it while the car was in motion. its the odd whistling sound correct?

Maple
05-27-2012, 11:58 PM
Which bolts did he replace? Maybe the double vanos rattle repair kit would help?
http://www.beisansystems.com/procedures/index.html

He has an S54, not an M54

OP, ever changed Vanos filter ?

I cant say for sure what it is, but I'll try.

The sound isnt rpm specific so we can rule out any of the moving parts right away. It could very easily be that something is simply loose and thats what rattling. The noise is there only when you blip the throttle and goes away after. Check exhaust manifold heatshields or it maybe that one of the springs on one of the throttle bodies is loose ....

You have to diagnose the noise with the intake box removed to locate it better

lucad2
05-28-2012, 11:25 AM
Thanks guys. It did make that noise before I got the bolts replaced, I thaught it was the bolts so i just asked to have them changed rather then telling him this is the sound i here because unless you put your ear close to the engine you will not here it, it sounds worse then it actually is in the video. Either way in glad I got the bolts replaced as they were not tight at all. I'm going to try and pinpoint where the noise is comming from. If I have no luck I'm going to take the valve cover off and just take a look and make sure everything is ok under there.

I still think it has something to do with the vanos unit it's self. Upon pressing the throttle doesn't the vanos advance the timing? I think the vanos filter is 60$ so I might as well get it changed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blackedout95
06-05-2012, 10:57 PM
Still baffles me how a trained pro just takes orders from a car owner to replace shit they don't even think needed doing nor ask WHY the hell you even want them done. If you can hear the noise a trained pro can, that is where they should step in and say listen here is what the issue could be.. instead of sure give me your money Ill swap those bolts, not sure why but who gives a shit, right.

lucad2
06-06-2012, 01:51 AM
Still baffles me how a trained pro just takes orders from a car owner to replace shit they don't even think needed doing nor ask WHY the hell you even want them done. If you can hear the noise a trained pro can, that is where they should step in and say listen here is what the issue could be.. instead of sure give me your money Ill swap those bolts, not sure why but who gives a shit, right.

It is my fault since I overly research things to I basically "diagnose" the car myself without even holding a wrench. when I take it to the shop and basically just tell them what needs to be done. I should have taken it to RMP and said here is the noise I hear rather then just scything to change the CAM gear bolts.
It has gotten worse, but in the beginning you could not have herd the noise unless your ear was no more then 2cm from the engine. It has not gotten to the point where you can hear it with the hood open.

I am now brining in my car thursday to RMP so I will keep this thread updated and hopefully this can help someone who is having the same issue. I just want my car back to working order as now I am pretty nervous to take it out.

blakneto
06-06-2012, 04:27 AM
Bad disa?:confused:

Blackedout95
06-06-2012, 05:01 PM
Since internal also look into tensioner, valves etc. Try an engine flush solution before changing oil next time. We use Wurth engine flush, small black bottle solved many mysterious sounds lol

Maple
06-06-2012, 09:04 PM
You guys with your DIsa comments dont even realize that he has an S54 for man sake.

PLEASE dont use any flush solutions , no wurth no nothing. Use engine OIL to be specific Castrol 10w60 ONLY inside your engine.

Blackedout95
06-06-2012, 09:46 PM
You guys with your DIsa comments dont even realize that he has an S54 for man sake.

PLEASE dont use any flush solutions , no wurth no nothing. Use engine OIL to be specific Castrol 10w60 ONLY inside your engine.

There is nothing wrong with using a small flush when needed. We see plenty of bmw's who's first owner believed they only needed to change the oil every 24-25000 km's because after all its what their dash is telling them. Those types of cases (there are plenty) have a fair build up of gunk, usually white/cream looking and easily recognized when simply removing the oil cap. A flush is a SAFE and easy way to TRY and remove/break down any buildup before draining the oil.

Please explain why a flush is a bad thing when used when needed.

blakneto
06-06-2012, 10:18 PM
:p Damn we got told! :p

Blackedout95
06-06-2012, 10:28 PM
:p Damn we got told! :p

Yep, I never noticed either, just saw e46 in his avatar and assumed. Since when does the average max member drive nice M3's :eek:

Maple
06-06-2012, 11:07 PM
There is nothing wrong with using a small flush when needed. We see plenty of bmw's who's first owner believed they only needed to change the oil every 24-25000 km's because after all its what their dash is telling them. Those types of cases (there are plenty) have a fair build up of gunk, usually white/cream looking and easily recognized when simply removing the oil cap. A flush is a SAFE and easy way to TRY and remove/break down any buildup before draining the oil.

Please explain why a flush is a bad thing when used when needed.

The milky gunk is the sign on short trips and now getting teh car warmed up properly . It could also be the sign of improperly working CCV.

All this flush blash is only going to hurt the engine, not immediately but in the long run. There is a GOOD reason why BMW recommends using OIL in your engine and nothing else but engine oil. Flush blush contains chemicals that werent approved by BMW engineers for internal engine use, why? maybe becaseu they are too harsh and eat away the much needed protective layer of oil that you need for cold start up...

Either way , I would trust BMW engineers over some self made mechanics anyday and twice on Sunday. I dont need to explain how the flush blush is bad for the engine , if you need explanation call BMW and ask .

25000 kms is absolutely fine in E46 non -M IF you use Approved LL-01 oil and approved BMW filter, GIVEN the rest of your car is working properly (ccv, vanos,O2). You want to argue 25k kms oil change ?

blakneto
06-07-2012, 12:10 AM
The milky gunk is the sign on short trips and now getting teh car warmed up properly . It could also be the sign of improperly working CCV.

All this flush blash is only going to hurt the engine, not immediately but in the long run. There is a GOOD reason why BMW recommends using OIL in your engine and nothing else but engine oil. Flush blush contains chemicals that werent approved by BMW engineers for internal engine use, why? maybe becaseu they are too harsh and eat away the much needed protective layer of oil that you need for cold start up...

Either way , I would trust BMW engineers over some self made mechanics anyday and twice on Sunday. I dont need to explain how the flush blush is bad for the engine , if you need explanation call BMW and ask .

25000 kms is absolutely fine in E46 non -M IF you use Approved LL-01 oil and approved BMW filter, GIVEN the rest of your car is working properly (ccv, vanos,O2). You want to argue 25k kms oil change ?

I'll take that CHALLENGE!!!!! *uzi*
I'll call AutoHaus tomorrow! :D

Blackedout95
06-07-2012, 12:18 AM

Now I know you are talking out your ass. 25,000 is FINE?!?! Those great bmw guys the one's who are so smart who speak of life time tran fluids and 25,000 km oil services, so smart that they are the reason for failures and build up.

And this isn't self made mechanic talking, this is real experience. I work along side two guys who have worked for bmw and their own shop for over 30 years each! In fact there is no way a REAL mechanic working for bmw or not can say with a straight face 25,000 oil service are just fine, unless they are real green and real brainwashed.

There is also NO danger in a one time engine oil flush, none.

I happened to have done several services today alone, there is a HUGE issue with changing your oil 4 times on a 100,000+ km car. Have you ever looked at the valvetrain of a 100,000km+ car with 4 oil changes. Don't tell me it is simply because of short trips and heat up. I see the same handful of e46 failures day in and out...ccv, disa, vanos, oil filter housing, power steering lines, valve cover gasket and on and on...the one's with massive buid up and "gunk" the under serviced my dash said I was good for 25000+ km one's. Who by the way don't ever know they have leaks or failures until it gets very bad because guess what, we don't need a service for 25,000 kms or my brake light comes on or my brake sensor went bad so now X isn't working. Bmw's 25000 oil service is pure BS and a very sad mark on them imo.

Maple
06-08-2012, 08:00 PM
Yes I've pulled valve covers off of E46s that change oil every 25000, they look spotless clean. Why ? because they use approved LL-01 oils . I've also pulled countless covers off of those who use no name Mr lube oil every 3000 k , I cry every time

You have absolutely no knowledge in LL-01 engine oils , otherwise you would't be sating what you said. LL-01 oils are tested and guaranteed for over 25k with a piece of mind. If you use other oils, of course you gotta change the oil accordingly

It just makes me laugh that you have absolutely no idea about LL-01 oils , not even a freaking clue. I cant even argue with you , its so pointless.

Do you have any data to prove what you're saying? Because I can pull at least 20 pages to prove you wrong

Go to Bimmerforums and argue that

Blackedout95
06-08-2012, 09:59 PM
Yes I've pulled valve covers off of E46s that change oil every 25000, they look spotless clean. Why ? because they use approved LL-01 oils . I've also pulled countless covers off of those who use no name Mr lube oil every 3000 k , I cry every time

You have absolutely no knowledge in LL-01 engine oils , otherwise you would't be sating what you said. LL-01 oils are tested and guaranteed for over 25k with a piece of mind. If you use other oils, of course you gotta change the oil accordingly

It just makes me laugh that you have absolutely no idea about LL-01 oils , not even a freaking clue. I cant even argue with you , its so pointless.

Do you have any data to prove what you're saying? Because I can pull at least 20 pages to prove you wrong

Go to Bimmerforums and argue that

Says the guy who believes plastic is better than metal.

Honestly not going to argue with you, I could counter and tell you oil is oil after being run for a limited time, molecules and such but if you believe your fav oil is good for 25000, good for you. I am all for using a long life oil but I am more so for changing it much sooner than bmw recommends, thats all.