PDA

View Full Version : DIY: LED Angel Eyes as DRL's

Vinoth
05-13-2012, 02:20 AM
ok before anyone says that this has been covered, i dont think it has been properly.

Note: My Car is 2000 323i for which I installed OEM Xendon headlights from another e46 that came with them.

So you get your LED angel eyes and follow the instructions to install. Most install insructions will tell you to route the trigger wire to the fuse box, and tap a yellow/red wire so that whenever your car is in ignition position 2, your angel eyes will be active.

The thing is, that does not act like TRUE drl. DRL turns off when you turn on your night time lights. In the case of the usual install instructions, at night I have both my xenon projector active, as well as my angel eyes. To be clear, I hate the way that looks (specifically with LED angel eyes, not so bad with CCFL). Looks fine in the day with just the angel eyes, but I would prefer that when I turn on my projectors, my LED angel eyes shut down.

So for any of you feeling the same way, I have worked out a solution. It will require the use of 2 relays (one already provided in the kit). This is the wiring diagram below for how it should all be connected. The diagram is crude, but it gets the point across. The relay on the left is the one provided in your kit, the relay on the right is the one you need to buy. For all intensive purposes, they are actually the same, however on the left you are using pin 87 to create a normally open relay and leave 87a unused. On the right your using pin 87a instead to create a normally closed relay, and leave 87 unused.

Note: If you had bulb out warnings before this setup, this will cause a bit of an issue. The computer will send out diagnostic checks every 30 seconds to the lights which will cause your angel eyes to flicker during those intervals. To prevent this, you can either install the resistor mod to fool the computer, or pull fuse #32. I have the resistor mod, and have yet to try removing fuse#32. From what I understand, pulling that fuse will prevent your computer from sending those diagnostic checks to your lights.

Thats it

Thavows
06-15-2012, 06:25 AM
ok before anyone says that this has been covered, i dont think it has been properly.

Note: My Car is 2000 323i for which I installed OEM Xendon headlights from another e46 that came with them.

So you get your LED angel eyes and follow the instructions to install. Most install insructions will tell you to route the trigger wire to the fuse box, and tap a yellow/red wire so that whenever your car is in ignition position 2, your angel eyes will be active.

The thing is, that does not act like TRUE drl. DRL turns off when you turn on your night time lights. In the case of the usual install instructions, at night I have both my xenon projector active, as well as my angel eyes. To be clear, I hate the way that looks (specifically with LED angel eyes, not so bad with CCFL). Looks fine in the day with just the angel eyes, but I would prefer that when I turn on my projectors, my LED angel eyes shut down.

So for any of you feeling the same way, I have worked out a solution. It will require the use of 2 relays (one already provided in the kit). This is the wiring diagram below for how it should all be connected. The diagram is crude, but it gets the point across. The relay on the left is the one provided in your kit, the relay on the right is the one you need to buy. For all intensive purposes, they are actually the same, however on the left you are using pin 87 to create a normally open relay and leave 87a unused. On the right your using pin 87a instead to create a normally closed relay, and leave 87 unused.

Note: If you had bulb out warnings before this setup, this will cause a bit of an issue. The computer will send out diagnostic checks every 30 seconds to the lights which will cause your angel eyes to flicker during those intervals. To prevent this, you can either install the resistor mod to fool the computer, or pull fuse #32. I have the resistor mod, and have yet to try removing fuse#32. From what I understand, pulling that fuse will prevent your computer from sending those diagnostic checks to your lights.

Thats it

this is what i am looking for. a good advice for me. great. just happen to search it here. lots of thank u.

cali4nialuv
11-23-2013, 04:25 PM
I'm soooo lost!!! Does this apply to ccfl? 86 is my ground and negative to the angel eyes. 30 is the positive to my angel eyes. 85 is my trigger. 30 is my 10 fuse

propr'one
12-08-2013, 10:58 AM
*th-up*

cali4nialuv
12-08-2013, 12:24 PM
*th-up*

Did you get it to work?

Distinct
12-08-2013, 07:53 PM
You can also code the car to skip the bulb out test using software.