PDA

View Full Version : Challenged a 97 Audi 2.8

greekthang
05-02-2003, 01:56 PM
Thought I would share.

Going to work today I lined up with a 97 Audi 2.8. We came of the line slow through 1st. He gunned it a bit and so did I. We where neck and neck just cruising. I was in forth and wanted to pass him slowly so I gave it a bit of gas. He guns it all of a sudden and cuts me of. Prick !!!! I get behind him pop it in 3rd as soon as the road opened up I laid an ass kicking to him. Smoked him by 4 car lengths. Though they would be quicker than that. He really didnít want to let up though. I slowed down and he flew by. Typical when you lose by that much.
*wave*

Soldo
05-02-2003, 03:23 PM
hahahaha, i get those kinda NASCAR drivers all the time!!
If it was a QUATTRO, you should of KILLED IT, i think a regular 2.8 might keep up a BIT better than that!

greekthang
05-02-2003, 03:33 PM
I think it was a quattro. Anyways he got served. We deserved for the cut off he gave me.*uzi*

djcontra
05-02-2003, 04:49 PM
Nice kill! I love those flybys when somebody loses a race.
I raced this punk in a Mercury Cougar (the new ones) who thought he was all hot shit with his body kit and quad exhaust etc. I must have smoked him in my auto-e36 by about 6 car lengths near the end of the race. The funniest part was when he tried to impress me by flying by me, through a red light, where a cop was parked ready to turn at the intersection! That guy got busted sooooooo fast after that! I just drove by laughing the whole way....what a way to lose!! :D

BTW, watch out for a yellow A4 with the plate SC3.
The guy who owns that one supercharged it and it hauls ass!
He's also got a tricked out saab with the plate VIGGEN as well, but I'm not sure what he's got under the hood.

greekthang
05-02-2003, 05:00 PM
Great kill djcontra. buddy got burned at the end. HAHA serves him right. I will definately keep my eyes open for that A4. I would race him knowing I would lose but there no harm in that. If you lose you lose. Comes with the territory. A couple of weeks ago coming back from a club I caught a M coupe at the lights on Steeles. We gave the signal to race. Light went green and he had 1/2 car in first gear. To make a long story short he smoked the crap out of me. 4th gear he had 5 cars on me. No chance*wave*

djcontra
05-02-2003, 07:13 PM
I like your attitude. I'm somewhat the same way, I like to race 5.0 mustangs, especially supercharged ones. For some reason, I just get a kick out of losing to cars like that. Maybe I just like watching in disbelief at how fast they shoot off down the straightaway; it's insane!
You should try and race an older tiberon sometime. There were two times now that my opponent's engine burst into flames while exceeding the 200km/h mark :D

Originally posted by greekthang
Great kill djcontra. buddy got burned at the end. HAHA serves him right. I will definately keep my eyes open for that A4. I would race him knowing I would lose but there no harm in that. If you lose you lose. Comes with the territory. A couple of weeks ago coming back from a club I caught a M coupe at the lights on Steeles. We gave the signal to race. Light went green and he had 1/2 car in first gear. To make a long story short he smoked the crap out of me. 4th gear he had 5 cars on me. No chance*wave*

greekthang
05-02-2003, 07:30 PM
HAHAHA that is hilarious. I like racing the mustangs as well. Raced one on Major Mackenzie before. He said he had mild work plus exhaust done. Told him that mine was stock. He said he only wanted to race up to 90km/h. My hole shot was amazing jumped Ĺ on him then by 90 he was a bit ahead of me. Caught him on the highway again and ripped him a new hole. Raced another mustang going North on Markham rd. Sounded really fierce. I was by myself and he was with his girlfriend. I asked him what he had and he told me mild engine work and exhaust. Sounded nice. Thought I would lose bad but we both where doing 70 and punched it !!!!! We where neck and neck right through. After all was said and done he told me he worked for BMW downtown as a mechanic. *uzi*

Soldo
05-02-2003, 10:09 PM
ya i'm like that too, i just LOVE to race cars just to see what they can do, i've had my ass handed to me by TONS of crazy cars, (M3, M5, 540i, 840i, Z 06, 911 N/A, and the list goes on and on) but i get a kick outta it cause i LOVE to see how those cars work their magic!!

///Milk
05-02-2003, 10:45 PM
Hhahah
Sounds Fun!

BMW_M52_M20
05-03-2003, 06:35 AM
Good, my buddy has a 2000 2.8 quattro and I beat him hands down in every gear.
Jay

windsor318is
05-03-2003, 06:42 AM
weird:confused: i thought a A4 2.8 would be faster than a 2.8 e36. were the audis you guys where racing 5 speeds or auto?

BMW_M52_M20
05-03-2003, 06:46 AM
Originally posted by windsor318is
weird:confused: i thought a A4 2.8 would be faster than a 2.8 e36. were the audis you guys where racing 5 speeds or auto?

My buddies is a 5spd, but the quattro drains a lot of power.....
I have driven his car several times, it is nice, but it is not as fast as my car....
Oh yeah and mine isn't even a 2.8L, mine is a 2.5L.....

I swear that quattro must kill 25-30hp... Plus the added weight...
Jay

greekthang
05-04-2003, 04:18 PM
windsor318is it was a 5 spd. My car is much faster than those Audis. Quattro weighs a ton in those cars. Even the S4's. Very fast off the line but when top end is concerned they tend to die out cuz of the all wheel drive system. Big power drainer !!!!

Soldo
05-04-2003, 04:25 PM
ya sometimes, you'd be surprised when the underdog takes it, last night i raced a IS300 as you all know, 3L 215hp, and i took it, from the start i had it the whole time,not too sure if it was cause he probably had an auto, but neverthaless, i WON!

330DTM
05-05-2003, 02:46 AM
Originally posted by SOLDOMATIC 325i

If it was a QUATTRO, you should of KILLED IT, i think a regular 2.8 might keep up a BIT better than that!

Hey man, don't diss the Quattro system. There will be some drivetrain loss at the higher end but they're still not that bad.

You want to run up against my friend who actually knows how to launch a car properly? He'll show you what a REAL Quattro launch is :P

Not to mention being able to get a 60ft time of 1.9seconds at the drag strip on street tires, not even setup for dragging.

Soldo
05-05-2003, 03:03 AM
no i'm aware, i'm not DISSIN the quattro's, its just that with the added weight it should give it the BM the advantage!!

330DTM
05-05-2003, 03:11 AM
Originally posted by SOLDOMATIC 325i
no i'm aware, i'm not DISSIN the quattro's, its just that with the added weight it should give it the BM the advantage!!

It's all good :)
Even the S4 (B5) weigh quite a bit. Close to a E39 5 er?

Soldo
05-05-2003, 03:38 AM
see, that being said, I REST MY CASE!
lol

greekthang
05-05-2003, 12:48 PM
Don't get me wrong guys. Quattro have a great launch out of the hole and are quick but we are taking top end once it gets moving. Thats where that quattro system suffers

BMW_M52_M20
05-05-2003, 06:49 PM
The stock shifter is shitty in the Audi 2.8.......Such a long throw, it is like a friggin transport truck........
Jay

greekthang
05-05-2003, 06:54 PM
Yeah that with alot of other reasons is why I ended up buying my 328 over the audi A4

alexm520
05-09-2003, 06:25 PM
I am all for BMW and would not even consider plain A4 (new S4 with V8 is a different story), but just want to say that the current S4 (based on old Audi shape) will blow stock E36 328 out of water.

About a year ago a guy who drives stock 5-speed E46 330i (2001 sedan) was telling me that either he couldn't catch or keep up with Audi S4; he could not believe how fast that car was (and he is NOT a newbie 5-speed driver). And E46 330 is a lot faster than E36 328.

The plain Audi A4 2.8 (old shape) has less torgue than E36 328 (if I remember correctly), so I am not surprised that Bimmer can take it, but don't knock Audi S4.

Just my 2 cents.

AlexM520
330Ci '03

Trogdor
05-25-2003, 05:46 PM
Does the s4 have quattro?

Be sorta like an m3xi or something...:confused: seems kinda self-defeating of a high-performance machine.

greekthang
05-25-2003, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by Trogdor
Does the s4 have quattro?

Be sorta like an m3xi or something...:confused: seems kinda self-defeating of a high-performance machine.

Yeh pal it does. The hole shot for those things are good the explode out if the hole but top end suffers because of the quattro weight

sadda///M
06-09-2003, 04:21 PM
from what you described, i dont think it was a race. just 2 pricks doing meaningless stunts on the road. normal hehe

greekthang
06-09-2003, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by sadda///M
from what you described, i dont think it was a race. just 2 pricks doing meaningless stunts on the road. normal hehe

Kiss my:moon: pal !!!
HEHEHE

sadda///M
06-09-2003, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by greekthang
Kiss my:moon: pal !!!
HEHEHE

nice a_ss lol
i have other ideas tho lol

Sickbimmer
06-09-2003, 11:15 PM
Hey Mike I'll race your friend with the stock A4:D :D ;)

Bigbore
06-10-2003, 01:33 AM
just to add a little trivia, a new 2.8L V6 quattro has 190hp @ 6000, and 207lb/ft @ 3200rpm but does 0-100 in a pathetic 7.5 seconds due to traction control. The quattro system doesnt weigh much, but it does add a bit, anyway the weight is offset by the fact that all four tires are moving.

again the reason it`s slow is the traction control, which a chip does away with BTW.

the old 2.8L had a little less hp, and Tq, and were slightly heavier.

Bigbore
06-10-2003, 01:35 AM
ahhh one more thing, the old 1/4 mile times for 2.8s are actually about the same as a civic Si, aboiut 16.5 seconds

ewwwwwwwwww.

Lightning
06-10-2003, 05:26 AM
Originally posted by Bigbore
just to add a little trivia, a new 2.8L V6 quattro has 190hp @ 6000, and 207lb/ft @ 3200rpm but does 0-100 in a pathetic 7.5 seconds due to traction control. The quattro system doesnt weigh much, but it does add a bit, anyway the weight is offset by the fact that all four tires are moving.

again the reason it`s slow is the traction control, which a chip does away with BTW.

the old 2.8L had a little less hp, and Tq, and were slightly heavier.

ahhh one more thing, the old 1/4 mile times for 2.8s are actually about the same as a civic Si, aboiut 16.5 seconds

ewwwwwwwwww.

7.5 sec ? ... civic Si .... you mean that he just race a slow car ...?

Bigbore
06-11-2003, 05:40 AM
kinda, but yeah they are complete dogs. well okay, a civic will do about 16.9, but technically a .4 difference? thats nothing when it`s pre-ceded by a 16.

recent audi`s are better, and all have good mid range, for instance if you do a rolling race, then they may keep up much better, but from a standstill especially the old a4`s are not worthy of the audi name.

sadda///M
06-11-2003, 07:26 PM
Is the quattro system, a permanent 4wd?

given that 2 cars have equal power and torque, i'd think the quattros will out-launch the 2 wheel drives,, as all fourr wheels aid in traction right off the bat.

Bigbore
06-12-2003, 04:19 AM
oh techincally that would be true unless the computer your running has a major traction control system that limits the amount of force put on each wheel... im not sure how those cars perform with chips, but im willing to bet it`s a HUGE difference.

in any case the 1.8T is always the way to go, a downpipe, and chip the hp goes up to 225fly, and about 210Tq, plus the added bonus of a new computer mapping, and traction control that is less harsh on take off... damn those get some life... 14.8 or so... well thats if i remember correctly, i talked about this with a guy in a parking lot a couple months ago.

330DTM
06-12-2003, 04:58 AM
Originally posted by sadda///M
Is the quattro system, a permanent 4wd?

given that 2 cars have equal power and torque, i'd think the quattros will out-launch the 2 wheel drives,, as all fourr wheels aid in traction right off the bat.

I believe it's a 25% torque split to all the wheels on the Quattro system, unless what I know is older news for the older Quattro version?

Yeah the Quattro does help off the line be it street or real racing. Just watch the Speedvision Grand Touring Cars, watch how the RS6's take off from the start. Same with my buddy's A4 1.8T, with a lightened flywheel and stage III clutch, his launches are just crazy.
But then again, the A4's with Quattro are probably heavier than the Golf's and Jetta's and less drivetrain loss for the 2 wheel drives.

moregothanshow
06-24-2003, 01:09 AM
if anyone ever decides to get an audi...the first thing u should do is get a chip....it will do some damage off the line...my friend has a 97 lude and he got spanked by a 1.8 audi. they pulled up at another light and he asked what the guy had...he said one a chip....

Trogdor
06-25-2003, 07:09 AM
What can i learn from all this? Would you take the 1.8t or the 3.0?

Xel
07-09-2003, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by Trogdor
What can i learn from all this? Would you take the 1.8t or the 3.0?

if u are into modding then 1.8t if u are in stock decent cars than 3.0L. U can always add supercharger to a 3L tho:)

Chipped 1.8 is faster than stock 3L. So 1.8t is a better deal because when u buy new 3L is like 4 grands more than a 1.8t version and by adding a 300$ chip to a 1.8t u make it faster than a 3L and still save tons of ca$h:D