PDA

View Full Version : Apex Driver Training

HansW
04-30-2012, 04:23 PM
Does anyone go to the Apex track days at Mosport? I have never been, but they look high quality. I was interested to hear opinions on how their days are run and they type of crowd there.

dble Trouble
04-30-2012, 04:54 PM
Where did you hear about Apex?

E30M42cab
04-30-2012, 06:32 PM
This is where you want to be:

BMW Club of Canada - Advanced Driving School

http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147834

Registration has just opened for our June school at Mosport:

http://www.trillium-bmwclub.ca/

HansW
04-30-2012, 06:51 PM
Fully aware that Trillium runs a great school. I am a member and went last September. The problem is that they on run three per year and I have conflict with two of them. Alex runs weekday events, a listed on the Mosport calendar, which is where I found them. They look like a learning facility much like the club events from Trillium. Just wondered if anyone one has gone or knows much more about them.

craz azn
04-30-2012, 06:55 PM
They are good, but pricey. Interestingly, majority of the Apex group also helps run the BMW Toronto days, and they are very well structured (and cheaper!!). The next BMW Toronto day is on May 22nd. You should check it out!

DItalianJob
04-30-2012, 07:04 PM
Does anyone go to the Apex track days at Mosport? I have never been, but they look high quality. I was interested to hear opinions on how their days are run and they type of crowd there.

i use to go to the Apex days a few years ago... Gerry runs them. They are very well organized and include catered lunches and instruction if required. John is the chief instructor and is very strict so it is a safe event...

Usually there were lots of porsches... gt3, corvettes z06... mature drivers that can play during the week... i would recommend trying them if you fit in this category ... *th-up*

-daniel

HansW
04-30-2012, 07:08 PM
How does a guy get into BMW Toronto day at Mosport if you aren't one of their customers?

craz azn
04-30-2012, 07:11 PM
You don't have to be a customer with the dealer to sign up. Go here, this is another way to sign up for the same event:

http://www.motorsportreg.com/index.cfm/event/event.advert/uidEvent/74A59901-947A-BF3D-31A9DA6CDBA2E87A

Just shoot an email to the email address at the bottom of the description if you need more info *rockout*

dble Trouble
04-30-2012, 10:56 PM
They are good, but pricey. Interestingly, majority of the Apex group also helps run the BMW Toronto days, and they are very well structured (and cheaper!!). The next BMW Toronto day is on May 22nd. You should check it out!

It is officially NOT a BMW Toronto day but called something else. Our group spoke directly with the Quinn Group which own BMW Toronto and they do NOT support the event and are NOT allowed to as per BMW Corporate rules! Just for the record!

dble Trouble
04-30-2012, 10:58 PM
You don't have to be a customer with the dealer to sign up. Go here, this is another way to sign up for the same event:

http://www.motorsportreg.com/index.cfm/event/event.advert/uidEvent/74A59901-947A-BF3D-31A9DA6CDBA2E87A

Just shoot an email to the email address at the bottom of the description if you need more info *rockout*

I do recommend the event however, it is the next best thing to a BMW Clubs Canada - Trillium Chapter event. A lot of the same instructors, minus the classroom and minus the Skidpad.

craz azn
04-30-2012, 11:27 PM
It is officially NOT a BMW Toronto day but called something else. Our group spoke directly with the Quinn Group which own BMW Toronto and they do NOT support the event and are NOT allowed to as per BMW Corporate rules! Just for the record!

Even if it isn't called that officially, a good number of the employees come out to support the event. I've always called it that because I used to be one of the said employees (which 'for the record' at the time was NOT owned by Quinn), and its like a big family... no little cliques/that type of BS that other clubs seem to have.

If you'd like to correct more 'title errors', there's tons more in the BMW Club of Canada forum on here ;)

Deep 3.2TL
04-30-2012, 11:47 PM
I did apex training at mosport on a sponsored day from MLSE and pfaff. We got to take an S5, S4, A7 and R8 on the track as well as a Cayman, GT3, Cayenne and 911 C4s out there... It's great, especially when the cars aren't yours :-)

HansW
05-01-2012, 06:20 AM
Not sure I'll get that lucky, but sounds like a good time.

HansW
05-01-2012, 10:12 AM
If you wouldn't recommend this one then who would your recommend? I know the obvious answer is Trillium, but seeing as there are only a few events and if those conflict with existing plans, it makes it difficult to get the track time that I want.
I am sure there must be some group out there that puts on a quality event with good instruction and is well organized etc.

Any thoughts?

Deep 3.2TL
05-01-2012, 10:14 AM
Not sure I'll get that lucky, but sounds like a good time.

Yea, we have a $100K sports tickets package with MLSE, so it's a "thank you" event. Reimer was there driving with us. It's also a sales thing for Pfaff - about 5 sales guys there for the 20 people invited to drive. You should have seen them swarming Reimer since he can obviously afford to buy those cars...

T.Dot_E30
05-01-2012, 10:34 AM
Assuming you only want the GP track:

Dexter Autosport (May 11, Aug.31, Sept.21):
http://www.tdott.me/2012/04/dexter-autosport-2012-track-schedule.html

Kensai Racing does track days on long weekends (May 21, July 2, Aug.6).
http://www.tdott.me/2012/04/kensai-racing-2012-track-schedule-mgp.html

BMW Toronto / Sieya Motorsports (Already Mentioned)

CASC has a school on July 28
http://www.tdott.me/2012/03/ontario-time-attack-2012-schedule.html

HansW
05-01-2012, 10:41 AM
I know all the dates and groups involved with the GP track, they are all listed on Mosport's website calendar. My questions was if anyone had experience with Apex specifically, which has now evolved into any other recomendations for other groups that run quality events.

For the groups you mentioned, have you been to their events at Mosport, and if so were they worth it?

T.Dot_E30
05-01-2012, 10:52 AM
I've only been to a BMW Toronto day and it was well run, thinking of participating on May 22. I did two trillium schools last year.

A few friends of mine attend the Kensai days and it seems alright, but I haven't been to any yet, I was hoping to check it out this year.

CASC is probably good cause they are well known, probably alot of the same instructors, but again i haven't been to or participated in any of their events.

dble Trouble
05-01-2012, 07:39 PM
Even if it isn't called that officially, a good number of the employees come out to support the event. I've always called it that because I used to be one of the said employees (which 'for the record' at the time was NOT owned by Quinn), and its like a big family... no little cliques/that type of BS that other clubs seem to have.

If you'd like to correct more 'title errors', there's tons more in the BMW Club of Canada forum on here ;)

Like what? Don't start something again that you can't finish! You want to stir the pot........Go ahead. I want to hear it.

Gleb
05-01-2012, 08:05 PM
T-r-i-l-l-U-m comes to mind

craz azn
05-01-2012, 08:34 PM
Like what? Don't start something again that you can't finish! You want to stir the pot........Go ahead. I want to hear it.

Stir what pot? You are the one trying to bait me out with the instigating posts. I do find it funny how online in front of the 'forum' you are willing to argue until your fingers fall off, yet you can't seem to answer my PMs, phone calls, or even talk to me in person (like on the weekend) so we can sort out whatever beef you decided to concoct in your head about me.

T-r-i-l-l-U-m comes to mind

lol

dble Trouble
05-01-2012, 11:02 PM
Stir what pot? You are the one trying to bait me out with the instigating posts. I do find it funny how online in front of the 'forum' you are willing to argue until your fingers fall off, yet you can't seem to answer my PMs, phone calls, or even talk to me in person (like on the weekend) so we can sort out whatever beef you decided to concoct in your head about me.

lol

I don't bait you out with instigating posts, you said something false. I corrected. You are the first person on this forum to point something out if it is false. This is a fact. So bait I did not. However, when you get bum hurt from making a mistake as I pointed out in the previous post, you then turn childish and point out a mistake that one of our hardest working volunteers made, and it was a typo at that, not a factual error. I don't answer your pms or phone calls or talk to you in person...........hmmmm maybe that's because I have a full time job, I have a part time job on top of that, I have a volunteer position within a car club, I am a father of two, and a husband, trying whatever I can to make ends meet at home and have a little fun with my car hobby only to be brought down with pessimism amongst other things. Need I say more? Oh and by the way, I wanted to chat with you on the weekend but as usual, your timing couldn't have been worse, (you know that) I was dealing with an issue with a student, while giving a tour of a visitor, and I was saddled with two students as we were short instructors and supervising the skidpad exercises. At what point would have been a good time to talk to you??? I don't think you realize what others around you do, and what they give up out of their own lives to do it. There are no ulterior motives, just trying to make sure everyone has a great time at a premiere event.

craz azn
05-01-2012, 11:57 PM
To prevent more novels, I PMed you... yet again. Maybe I'll get a reply this time around? :idea:

PatrolOne
05-03-2012, 09:45 AM
"My questions was if anyone had experience with Apex specifically, "

To answer your original question, I've been to 2 events organized by Dez (service advisor at BMW Toronto). Great time if a bit pricey for a single day. It's $375-400 for the day, with a catered lunch, water and pop on hand.

Gerry and the Apex team offer instruction all day. Usually 2-3 groups based on experience. Passing allowed on straights. by mid afternoon many attendees leave so things speed up. Events are mostly bmw, with a few porsches, audis, Zo6, etc.

Cool group, both times I ran my 73 Dodge challenger, and everyone loved it. In the drivers briefing, Gerry goes "most of you have cars with a neutral weight balance, well, except you (looking right at me) *th-up*

I know Mercedes Toronto runs something similar, as does Engineered Automotive...

HansW
05-03-2012, 10:25 AM
Thanks for that reply, it is helpful and informative. I have registered for an Apex event on May 23rd. From what I am getting on here they a re a good group and that is what I really wanted to know. Didn't want to waste my money.

I see you are also driving an M5, hopefully we will see you out some time.