PDA

View Full Version : 2008 M3 questions/opinions

canukgtp
04-18-2012, 05:55 PM
Hey guys,

Ok, a little background, next year I was planning on going to the states and picking up a used 911(997 so 2005-2008 range), I've always wanted one and the girlfriend was on board with the idea, we're even heading down to Halifax this weekend to the porsche dealer so she can see one up close.

Now...my problem lol...

Against my better judgement I took out the M3 coupe that the dealer has here and wow what a fun ride! I only wanted to give it a little run and be done with it... but the girlfriend says that she really likes the look of the car, more so than the porsche, and that I should take her for a spin in the M3.

So it's a 2008 coupe, manual with 41k for $55 000
http://crm.bmw.ca/en-CA/PreOwned/Search/VehicleDetail/PY40139#details-top

Just looking for some opinions, I'm guessing that pretty much everybody will say get the M3...any issues with these cars...any arguments to hold out for the 911? I'm going to see how the price compares on the web and I haven't negotiated at all yet, but if anybody has an opinion on the price it would be appreciated too...

Thanks
Mike

5ABIVT
04-18-2012, 06:48 PM
If you can afford the maintenance i vote for the P car.*th-up*

T.Dot_E30
04-18-2012, 07:33 PM
You didn't say which 911, there is a wide range.

S, 4S, Turbo, GT2, GT3...

That alone can greatly change ones opinion.
Although for a daily I'd lean towards the M3, for the practicality with 95% of the performance. If it was weekend only and track car, a GT3 if you can afford it.

A 4S, is probably the minimum I'd compare to, but even then I think I'd perfer the M3 over it.

canukgtp
04-18-2012, 08:53 PM
I was thinking a 2S, it's not going to be a track/weekend only car, definitly a daily in the summer, but I'm litterally 5km from work, so not going to be pilling the miles on...a GT3 would be a dream, but also way out of my price range haha....

I guess another point for BMW in my case is that we have a dealer in town and the M3 is CPO, while the closest porsche dealer is 2.5 hrs away...

Plus the gf seems to really be pushing the M3 more, every 911 I show her she keeps saying ''I like the M3 more''...not exactly a big problem I know and I have to remember, happy wife, happy life lol

Neb
04-19-2012, 11:35 AM
I vote for a p-car. Find an Indy in your area for P-car. Do a good PPI in the states before you buy.

Axxe
04-19-2012, 12:43 PM
The 911 is definitely the more desirable car, but the M3 will give you 95% of the happiness and seat 4 comfortably at the same time, while being cheaper to own.

SiR
04-19-2012, 01:08 PM
If you can afford the maintenance i vote for the P car.*th-up*

yup. no question

xfactor
04-19-2012, 05:50 PM
Depending on which 911 as others have said. I have an 08 M3 and it's a blast to drive. No real issues to speak of and the car is a beast north of 4K rpm. I actually think that it's the best of breed saloon car. Since you're getting it CPO'd by the dealer, it's also worry free.

However, a Porsche is a Porsche.

mkgino
04-19-2012, 08:37 PM
You can buy a 2008 M3 from the US for $30-40000 with that mileage

canukgtp
04-19-2012, 10:32 PM
Yup...a porsche is a porsche and I will have one someday...but it's looking like it'll be an M3 this time around...CPO with a dealer in town just makes more sense for me right now.

Plus from what I'm gathering I should start saving money for maintenance on a 911 now for when I do get one hahaha...I sort of always understood that they were pretty reliable cars.

So we'll see what kind of deal I can hammer out of the dealer!

Oh and thanks for the comments guys!

Oh and for getting one in the states, since I have to self finance at a higher rate instead of with BMW, plus duties and tax it would come out close enough that it's more trouble than it's worth I figure. I was inclinded to do it for the 911 because of way more selection in the states and since I was only planning on shopping next year I was going to have a bigger chunk of money put away for the purchace.

MrRWD
04-21-2012, 11:35 AM
Having tried my hand at a low mileage 911 Carrera 4S from Pfaff Porsche, going with the M3 is a great choice!!!!!!

I love the drive/sound/feel of the 911 but the IMS and RMS issues really scared me from the beginning.

It's a major design flaw, that even Porsche engineers have eluded too, but Porsche claims it's "Serviceable" within the warranty period.
.... google it, and you'll see.

I'd probably keep $10K set aside for "when" the motor pops.
If it doesn't, then think of it as free money.

The 911 Turboís are much better. They are built better, and much more reliable.

The flywheel needs to be changed every 2nd clutch job (Clutch lasts about 60K - if you are hard on it, probably less).
I spent $1800 on that job.
Cats went.. there are two. $1900.
RMS seal was done at 20K at the dealer. 40K later, it was starting to go again.
I did that with the clutch job. I made the mistake of not doing the upgraded IMS...

5K later, I noticed at idle, it was starting to sound rough. I had a feeling the IMS would go, and blow the motor.

.... off to the Auction it went... my PPI'd well maintained Jelly Bean was no longer.

I absolutely love the last of the V8 Powered M3ís. Donít even regret getting rid of the Porsche. Good Choice!!!!!

http://www.total911.com/news/porsche-996997-ims-failure-video/

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xvLRMGs-Ti8?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xvLRMGs-Ti8?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

canukgtp
04-23-2012, 08:13 AM
Well great info from everyone and thanks for that...M3 won out after all, deal is done, got it for 50K plus tax which I don't find too bad for being out east in a smaller market...picking it up this evening woot!!

5ABIVT
04-24-2012, 01:16 PM
nice !! pics??????????????????

canukgtp
04-24-2012, 01:22 PM
Well it's been raining like crazy here so it's already dirty, I'll have to clean it and post some in a couple days...they will come! Friken love it...crazy power out of it!

canukgtp
04-25-2012, 06:31 PM
Finally some pics!

Supreme_sole
04-25-2012, 06:47 PM
Now that is one sexy car

Have any work planned for it ?

canukgtp
04-25-2012, 07:03 PM
Thanks...Nothing planned for mods, I can't see what I would improve, the power is crazy, the handling is great...but there will be some auto slalom this summer! So I'll have to start putting money away for new tires lol...

E30S54
04-25-2012, 08:21 PM
Yeah, the M3 is really nice, they seem like good car's. I am also on the lookout for one.

canukgtp
04-25-2012, 08:46 PM
well good luck finding one!