PDA

View Full Version : Safety for new owner question...

AlpWhitE46
04-07-2012, 12:22 PM
I'm just wondering how it works...

If i'm selling my car right now and new owner wants me to "safety the car", how does that work if the car is still in my name..?

Does the ownership not need to be changed, and then car safetied..?

3x Beemer
04-07-2012, 12:45 PM
No Just get it safetied It's good for 36 days to the car not the owner if I recall.

AlpWhitE46
04-07-2012, 12:53 PM
Risky if it does not sell in 36 days lol

bmwm5lover
04-07-2012, 01:53 PM
U would only certify with non refundable deposit obviously

///M_AMAZIN
04-07-2012, 02:27 PM
If i'm selling my car right now and new owner wants me to "safety the car", how does that work if the car is still in my name..?

Listen Pimp, Its a piece of paper that the ministry requires when you go transfer the ownership, so sellers usually provide safety(along with emissions) to the buyer...

You can get your car saftied at any mechanic shop (its basically a test they do to see if the car is road legal)

So get that bish safety papers and give it to the seller..

AlpWhitE46
04-07-2012, 03:43 PM
I know what safety is .. lol just was curious because I always did safety when i bought a car...

damameke
04-07-2012, 05:04 PM
Safety is just certification, and certification in ONT is a joke
some basic check, thats it.. you can also sell it "as is"

AlpWhitE46
04-07-2012, 05:48 PM
Ya, lot of people want it "safetied" before hand

propr'one
04-07-2012, 08:45 PM
dude that car is not going to fail a safety. Tell the buyer once you have a deposit you'll get him a safety. Any issues pm me

KIRASIR
04-08-2012, 09:17 PM
Safety cert is on the car (based on the vin) not on the driver/owner. I usually add at least 100 bucks to the price of the car if a buyer wants a safety certificate (to cover my time and cost of the cert).

AlpWhitE46
04-08-2012, 11:45 PM
Safety cert is on the car (based on the vin) not on the driver/owner. I usually add at least 100 bucks to the price of the car if a buyer wants a safety certificate (to cover my time and cost of the cert).

So then why when you change ownership of the car the new person has to get safety..

Emissions goes by car/amount of years.... not safety...

I changed ownership from me to my mom and only then i didn't have to safety it

propr'one
04-09-2012, 02:02 AM
when an owner changes, you always need a safety. Giving cars to direct family members isn't considered an ownership change (you didn't pay taxes then, either)

MrRWD
04-09-2012, 09:32 AM

Most of the information is fairly accurate that is provided. However, if you are selling a higher end car ($10K or more, and less that 150,000KM), it's in the best interest of the seller to get a safety inspection and valid etest a head of time.

… An knowledgeable person wouldn’t pay good money for an AS-IS car.
If a car is being sold As-is, I’d automatically assume it would need about $1000 worth to be safe.

You'll generally get more for a car that is certified and etested.
The safety will assure at least your brakes, most of the suspension, and safety items are good.

If I decide to sell a car, I always get a pre-safety inspection done. This way, I know how much it would cost me to safety the car (or if it's worth it).

You don't want to be in a position to sell a car "Certified" for $3000, and realize that it would cost you $1500 to safety it. Have the inspection done first. Get the actual safety inspection when you sell it.
... In this case, you would have been better of selling it for $2250-$2500 AS-IS...

If I buy a used car certified (dealer or private), I always get my own safety right away. In Toronto, there are a lot of crooks. I've had major things missed. The shop is liable, and must fix.

.... I'd never buy a car AS-IS.

.....I'd never personally accept a Etest that is more than 2 months old. A lot can happen in a year in terms of emissions.

SiR
04-09-2012, 10:07 AM
its standard practice to sell a car safety and etest included unless its a beater or in obvious need of repair.

if you arent including it with the e36, no wonder it hasnt sold.

If you buy a car and register it while the safety is valid the new owner does not need to go and get it safety'd again. If you had to safety past cars its because you bought it without one being done OR you went to register after they had expired.

KIRASIR
04-09-2012, 11:55 AM
So then why when you change ownership of the car the new person has to get safety..

Emissions goes by car/amount of years.... not safety...

In some countries in Europe, safety must be done yearly, in Ontario, yearly tech inspection would probably cause a riot if it were introduced. :)

I changed ownership from me to my mom and only then i didn't have to safety it

That's interesting because I just did an ownership transfer to a relative 2 months ago and had to get a safety cert...

its standard practice to sell a car safety and etest included unless its a beater or in obvious need of repair.

Sounds like you haven't bought or sold many cars in Ontario. It is hardly a standard practice in the used car market.

nate_s89
04-09-2012, 11:57 AM
In some countries in Europe, safety must be done yearly, in Ontario, yearly tech inspection would probably cause a riot if it were introduced. :)

That's interesting because I just did an ownership transfer to a relative 2 months ago and had to get a safety cert...

Has to be Mom, Dad, spouse, or kids.

KIRASIR
04-09-2012, 12:01 PM
Has to be Mom, Dad, spouse, or kids.

It was my father in this case - simple notorized ownership transfer, yet they still required a safety cert.

nate_s89
04-09-2012, 12:08 PM
It was my father in this case - simple notorized ownership transfer, yet they still required a safety cert.

As yes my mistake, they recently changed the ruling to spouse only.

AlpWhitE46
04-09-2012, 06:28 PM
i stand corrected, i did have to do safety..
and its valid for 36 days

i just know my mom now cant change ownership to a relative for another year..

SiR: yeah not sure where you got that notion, tons of cars are sold not safetied...even with a safety many people want to take it to mechanic and check it out

egye30
04-11-2012, 01:47 AM

That's untrue. The new person does not have to get a safety, matter of fact you only need a valid safety certificate specific to that car to register it in your name (like everyone said valid for 36 days only). Whether that safety is done by you, the future owner, the previous owner or whoever it may have been, as long as it isn't expired when you're at the MTO, you can use it to register the car in your name. But obviously since most people keep their cars for longer than 36 days before they sell them, it seems like you HAVE to get a safety when you buy one. The reason people ask for a safety prior to changing owners in a sale is to A) Make sure it doesn't require any repairs/parts for safety, obviously. and B) To give them one less thing to worry about when they go register the vehicle, all they'd require would be a bill of sale, a signed ownership, the taxes for the vehicle and valid plates and insurance. (and an appraisal if your car is too old and has no blue book value)

SiR
04-11-2012, 10:24 AM
Sounds like you haven't bought or sold many cars in Ontario. It is hardly a standard practice in the used car market.

lol fcplm

it is unless you are selling a pos. I did it for all the cas ive sold except one. Have not nor will I buy a car without it unless its a pos beater.

My experience with all my buddies who sell...same thing. You wont command top dollar for a boosted e36(or any car) without it.
I dont give a shit about auctions. thats irrelevant to this situation.

AlpWhitE46
04-11-2012, 03:18 PM
lol fcplm

it is unless you are selling a pos. I did it for all the cas ive sold except one. Have not nor will I buy a car without it unless its a pos beater.

My experience with all my buddies who sell...same thing. You wont command top dollar for a boosted e36(or any car) without it.
I dont give a shit about auctions. thats irrelevant to this situation.

A simple - sure take the car to your mechanic... does it need anything? nope, certify it yourself then will do.
*th-up*

SiR
04-11-2012, 03:36 PM
Thats a lot of extra work for a potential buyer and leaves the door open to get burned.

Its not on the buyers shoulders to make sure the car is up to par. Of course if one wants an inspection on top of a safety its something you can arrange between yourself or they can do it on their own once they buy it.

The guidelines for a safety are pretty silly and open. Its almost up to the eye of the beholder so to speak.
so your mechanic says its cool...(but they dont do safety certs there). you buy it. take it to some place for safety and they ding you for a few things. not so fun.

Ive been to have cars safety'd before and the donkey put things down like new calipers needed when they were brand new. lol

so better save then sorry. have the seller deal with getting their car ready to sell and go from there.

if im buying something thats 5k or more(that i want to drive soon) i wont bother with as is cars.

AlpWhitE46
04-11-2012, 04:25 PM
Sorry but what you say does not really make sense... you say the seller should safety the car...

And you say the guidelines are silly for safety and open... So then why the hell do you find it so important to have safety as a buyer...

If i know a mechanic i could go and have him certify any car for me... and then be like hey heres a car its safetied..

Personally if im getting a car id rather go to the mechanic myself (as a buyer) and have him inspect it then safety it.

bmwm5lover
04-11-2012, 04:31 PM
Safety is a joke, people who won't buy a good car because it isn't safetied are tools and time wasters.
If you don't know enough, get a PPI, don;t rely on a safety tot ell you if a car is good.

T.Dot_E30
04-11-2012, 05:14 PM
The people who make a big deal about a safety are usually people who don't know cars.

They just wanted to protect themselves from surprised repairs after buying the car as is.

Unless the seller gives my a break from the price and allows my mechanic to check it out, I will not buy as is.

SiR
04-12-2012, 10:10 AM
Sorry but what you say does not really make sense... you say the seller should safety the car...

And you say the guidelines are silly for safety and open... So then why the hell do you find it so important to have safety as a buyer...

If i know a mechanic i could go and have him certify any car for me... and then be like hey heres a car its safetied..

Personally if im getting a car id rather go to the mechanic myself (as a buyer) and have him inspect it then safety it.

makes perfect sense. Sorry you dont understand...

and ya plenty of people get bogus safety's ...im not saying you should just trust a safety either. Obviously you need to check the car out thoroughly yourself or have a trust shop/mechanic do it.

The safety is still a step the seller should take care. you can dance around it all you like but no amt of excuses make up for a lazy and cheap seller *love*

A seller not interested in getting a safety done says something to me.... usually thats "stay away from that car" Unless im looking at cheaper cars which I know there will be things needed to fix .

Bottom line is a safety is needed regardless. And imho its up to the seller to handle it. 9.9 times out of 10 they wont safety because something is wrong.
if im dropping 10k on a car (for example) it better come safety'd. Even if it needs work later (which it will)at least that silly step has been crossed off the list and Im not delayed in having a car that is driveable.

If you buy a car that has a leaky shock(for example)...that wont pass safety. so you cant drive the car(until you fix it and get it safety'd again which is a hassle with temp plates and/or towing). that doesnt mean the car actually isnt driveable ...but life happens and you might need a few weeks to get around to fixiing it... If you bought it without a safety you are screwed. If it came with a safety you can still drive it and fix it later. (just a quick example)

this is not hard to understand.

and people arguing against providing a safety speaks a lot about you imho.

bmwm5lover
04-12-2012, 12:09 PM
and people arguing against providing a safety speaks a lot about you imho.

O jeeez, here we go, being dramatic and all...... that really should speak volumes, ofcourse. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

anyway, i completely get your point, but that is a personal perspective, not necessarily the norm.

If I was selling a car, I wouldn't certify right off the bat(and have it sit until it possibly expires), but only do it once a deposit and an agreement of some kind is made with the purchaser. I will definitely have a pre cert inspection done which I can show to potential buyers to show the state of the vehicle.

On another note, I always get the cars I am buying (for cars worth a few K and up) etested on my own dime (if they aren't already). Brakes and shocks don't worry me. But failed cats, o2 sensors, or burnt valves which won't pass etest, do.

AlpWhitE46
04-12-2012, 12:20 PM
I agree terry,

SiR .. It's not the norm, it varies on how people feel... I bought the car and it wasn't safetied... but I did take it to check it out, then safetied it, big deal?

Reason i haven't done it is because I need a new battery (which I will get today), my car is on fire and theft insurance, and my sticker expired in march... So for me to go get a sticker and whatever else it needs is a hassle...

SiR
04-12-2012, 01:21 PM
If I was selling a car, I wouldn't certify right off the bat(and have it sit until it possibly expires), but only do it once a deposit and an agreement of some kind is made with the purchaser. I will definitely have a pre cert inspection done which I can show to potential buyers to show the state of the vehicle.

Im not saying it has to be done right off the bat especially if you are asking top dollar and expect a long process to get rid of it. I think waiting to safety is perfectly fine.
Youre still providing it for the new buyer at the end of the day. That to me means you stand behind your car/sale. Even if the safety standards are wide open.
In my experience people wont safety a car period because they know it wont pass.

Its the seller selling the car. Youre supposed to put in the time and effort to sell.Not command top dollar to off load something that needs work and cause issues for the new buyer.

again theres a reason that car hasnt sold and it looks like this is one big reason. results speak volumes. safety/cert/etest and that car wouldve been gone before winter.
Its the norm to provide a safety for a quality/top dollar car. But I guess you can keep giving excuses and hold onto the car some more.

AlpWhitE46
04-12-2012, 02:41 PM
I'm not going to argue with you anymore after this but the reasoning behind your arguments is really dumb, thats the bottom line.

The car hasn't sold in the winter for a solid reason (no one wants to buy a car and just store it) when they can wait for spring..and it didnt sell last year because i posted it end of summer, bottom line.. Theres tons of interest right now and i'm waiting for 2 offers, whoever is first.

No one has said that they wont buy it because its not certified, thats a joke buddy.. I'm more than willing to take the car to the mechanic and show them that its in really good condition.

Well your experience about "people not wanting to safety a car because it wont pass" is also pretty vague experience, as again, if you are interested in the car simply say " i want to see it for MY EYES, at the mecahnic that everything is well off"