PDA

View Full Version : Racing advice needed

Racer
04-01-2012, 05:31 PM
Hi all,

Found this forum and thought I'd ask. I bought a BMW E30 model, 1987 325is. Was reading about all the racing schools and want to know what mods should I do to the car before I start to race. How much power do I need? Where do I buy racing tires. Thank you.

InfiniteDice
04-01-2012, 05:44 PM
I don't race officially... :) But I suggest you go over the whole car and make sure all the rubber bushings and suspension areas are checked over firstly.

One thing to consider is that many tracks have rules and won't let any car participate if they are leaking any fluids. So seals, gaskets, hoses all should be checked.

Others will chime in with their thoughts. I think the last thing you should worry about is power or racing tires. Try to eliminate 200lbs off the car first and do the basic items above. After that you'll have an idea of what you're working with.

Racer
04-01-2012, 05:58 PM
Thank you for your advice. The car seems to be in good shape, I got it up to 180 on the highway but I think it needs more power for racing. What are some local racing clubs I can join? I live in Aurora Ontario. Does anyone on this forum races a BMW?

Racer
04-01-2012, 06:00 PM
Sorry, one more question, how do I eliminate 200 # from my car? Is that something that is required for racing?

2bmw2
04-01-2012, 07:06 PM
Sorry, one more question, how do I eliminate 200 # from my car? Is that something that is required for racing?

remove the glass in the doors, door panels, get a very small battery, remove extra seats, fiberglass hood and trunk, get a lightweight gas tank, and lose 50# if you are overweight! *wiggle*

Where do you plan to race? On the street? Drag race? Mosport?

T.Dot_E30
04-01-2012, 07:10 PM
http://trillium-bmwclub.ca/content/club-racing

cormier
04-01-2012, 07:20 PM
Have you been on the track before? How about dont worry about anything you just talked about, follow the link above, maintain your car to pass the safety checklist and then take a driving school :)

Should be a good start! Trillium offers wonderful schools. What are you driving?

doogee
04-01-2012, 08:20 PM
No offense but you sound like you have no idea what you're getting yourself into.

doogee
04-01-2012, 08:21 PM
Sorry, one more question, how do I eliminate 200 # from my car?

Step out of the vehicle.

Discostar
04-01-2012, 08:27 PM
Step out of the vehicle.

:D

Thank you for your advice. The car seems to be in good shape, I got it up to 180 on the highway but I think it needs more power for racing. What are some local racing clubs I can join? I live in Aurora Ontario. Does anyone on this forum races a BMW?

Do you actually plan on racing? or just lapping?

I think you may be getting a little ahead of yourself.

I'm not sure if you have past experience driving other cars on the track, or this is your first, but I highly suggest you check the car over a little more thoroughly then just taking it up to 180km/hr and assuming its ok since you did not die.

I think taking a Trillium school would be a good start either way. They will point you in the right direction. Iím sure there will be a few other E30ís there to check out also.

2bmw2
04-01-2012, 08:34 PM

I'm not sure if you have past experience driving other cars on the track, or this is your first, but I highly suggest you check the car over a little more thoroughly then just taking it up to 180km/hr and assuming its ok since you did not die.

I think taking a Trillium school would be a good start either way. They will point you in the right direction. Iím sure there will be a few other E30ís there to check out also.

Do you really want a guy called "Racer" who asked the questions above in a Trillium school? I wouldn't !

craz azn
04-01-2012, 08:58 PM
Haha... somebody has got you guys going as a good April Fools Joke!!

BigD
04-01-2012, 08:58 PM
April fools troll?

In the highly disappointing case that it's not, forget racing, take a high performance driving (NOT racing). When you get signed off to drive alone, worry about racing:

http://trillium-bmwclub.ca/content/advanced-driver-training

Racer
04-01-2012, 09:12 PM
remove the glass in the doors, door panels, get a very small battery, remove extra seats, fiberglass hood and trunk, get a lightweight gas tank, and lose 50# if you are overweight! *wiggle*

Where do you plan to race? On the street? Drag race? Mosport?

Thank you. Do I replace the glass with something else or just leave it open? I am thinking that it may be better to leave it open, so that there is less drag.
I want to race in BMW races, I am pretty sure they don't race on the street, or do you mean on a closed street, like Molson Indy or something?

Racer
04-01-2012, 09:15 PM
http://trillium-bmwclub.ca/content/club-racing

Please don't get me wrong, I am very new to this and it may seem like a silly question, but why would you need a license for racing? What do they teach you there? Not to brag, but I drive a lot a lot faster than any of my friends even the guys with "fast" cars.

BigD
04-01-2012, 09:20 PM
So when you go on cruises and you guys rip it up in the twisties, you're the fast guy of the pack? Then you may be fine. Talk to the CASC chief instructor, tell him the above and ask to come to an open lapping day to have him observe you. I'm sure you'll do fine and he'll sign you off, maybe even give you contacts of some pro teams.

Racer
04-01-2012, 09:21 PM
Have you been on the track before? How about dont worry about anything you just talked about, follow the link above, maintain your car to pass the safety checklist and then take a driving school :)

Should be a good start! Trillium offers wonderful schools. What are you driving?

I drive a 1987 325is. What kind of safety items should I be looking out for?
I went to a pretty fast track in the west end, I think it's called Toronto Morsports Park with my buddy last year in my moms Mazda.

Racer
04-01-2012, 09:24 PM
No offense but you sound like you have no idea what you're getting yourself into.

And you do? That's why I ask on this forum. Is this a picture of your cars? Do you race them or just make smart remarks?

Racer
04-01-2012, 09:27 PM

Thanks, I will look into the school. Not trying to be a smart ass, but what can they teach me that I don't already know? I want to go racing against other cars.

Racer
04-01-2012, 09:30 PM
Haha... somebody has got you guys going as a good April Fools Joke!!

I came here to learn and ask. Looks like people that know something, unlike you, are happy to answer my questions, even though they may be stupid. Looks like you're a joke buddy.

Racer
04-01-2012, 09:32 PM
So when you go on cruises and you guys rip it up in the twisties, you're the fast guy of the pack? Then you may be fine. Talk to the CASC chief instructor, tell him the above and ask to come to an open lapping day to have him observe you. I'm sure you'll do fine and he'll sign you off, maybe even give you contacts of some pro teams.

Thanks! Who, what is CASC and how do I get a hold of him?

craz azn
04-01-2012, 09:37 PM
Thanks! Who, what is CASC and how do I get a hold of him?

CASC is Canadian Association of Spiritual Care. They offer meditation groups that help boost your mind and soul to the driving level of pros. Thats how you can leapfrog all the amateur racing and go straight to the big leagues!

dble Trouble
04-01-2012, 09:42 PM
This thread is so full of win! I'm sure it's an april fools joke 'cause no one is this dense. And.............if they are.........god help us all!

Racer
04-01-2012, 09:45 PM
CASC is Canadian Association of Spiritual Care. They offer meditation groups that help boost your mind and soul to the driving level of pros. Thats how you can leapfrog all the amateur racing and go straight to the big leagues!

Are you some kind of idiot clown? Why don't you go back to coloring your car!

Racer
04-01-2012, 09:50 PM
This thread is so full of win! I'm sure it's an april fools joke 'cause no one is this dense. And.............if they are.........god help us all!

I don't know you, I didn't come here and started calling you names.
I came here to ask and learn... looks like i made a mistake. I guess you know everything... doesn't look like it from your picture, looks like you forgot where the turn is and need your boyfriend in the passenger set to tell you.

craz azn
04-01-2012, 09:53 PM
Are you some kind of idiot clown? Why don't you go back to coloring your car!

http://i.imgur.com/5qiMp.jpg

Racer
04-01-2012, 10:05 PM
I bet you look like that too

dble Trouble
04-01-2012, 10:10 PM
LMFAO! Two guesses, Gleb or Richer.......?

Gleb
04-01-2012, 10:23 PM
Happy fool's day, FOOLS!

craz azn
04-01-2012, 10:25 PM
LOL. Figured.

dble Trouble
04-01-2012, 10:31 PM
Knew It!! You gave it away when you referred to the passenger as my boyfriend!!!

Gleb
04-01-2012, 10:43 PM
Knew It!! You gave it away when you referred to the passenger as my boyfriend!!!

I was actually serious about that, I think that one of you is definitely a fag!

dble Trouble
04-01-2012, 10:52 PM
Given I'm married with kids, it must be the single passenger! LOL.

craz azn
04-01-2012, 11:12 PM
Goddamnit! Sure, I'll put pink (no wait, rainbow!!11) stripes on my helmet for this year to make it official, mmkay? :D

:rolleyes:

dble Trouble
04-01-2012, 11:15 PM
^^lol^^

davericher20
04-02-2012, 01:55 AM
I am in tears, thanks Gleb

Discostar
04-02-2012, 01:13 PM
WOW.. this was a good one..

I was trying so hard to be nice too. lol

cormier