PDA

View Full Version : Can't get the key out of ignition... any ideas?

ali_baba
03-29-2012, 08:35 PM
I have a standard 96 318is and I can't get the key out of the ignition. The car turns on and off, but it's stuck there and I can't release it from the ignition cylinder. Anyone know what the problem could be?

Eurostyle
03-29-2012, 09:28 PM
If its auto, could be shifter cable lock...

Blackedout95
03-29-2012, 09:41 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TlreQ85uCw

Once free look into why it won't turn, perhaps warn key. I would guess key because you said it will turn on and off, if it couldn't it would make me think barrel.

Found this video, glad I did it saved me from writing for an hour lol

KIRASIR
03-30-2012, 12:31 AM
The video pretty much sums it up. Remove the plastic trim cover.

Undo the two screws that hold the switch in place (that's where all the wires connect to)

Take pliers and gently twist/turn the metal pin/knob/whatever it's called.

On my old ti I had it happen at least 3 times. It literally takes 5 min once you know how to remove the trim and the screws.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TlreQ85uCw

Once free look into why it won't turn, perhaps warn key. I would guess key because you said it will turn on and off, if it couldn't it would make me think barrel.

Found this video, glad I did it saved me from writing for an hour lol

ali_baba
03-30-2012, 02:37 AM
My issue is not that it's jammed... The key turns on and off regularly except I can't pull the key out of the ignition.

The video pretty much sums it up. Remove the plastic trim cover.

Undo the two screws that hold the switch in place (that's where all the wires connect to)

Take pliers and gently twist/turn the metal pin/knob/whatever it's called.

On my old ti I had it happen at least 3 times. It literally takes 5 min once you know how to remove the trim and the screws.

Jim .E.
03-30-2012, 09:05 AM
My issue is not that it's jammed... The key turns on and off regularly except I can't pull the key out of the ignition.

why not at least give it a try first...it could work no? rather than already ruling it out.

KIRASIR
03-30-2012, 04:55 PM
Once you turn the "knob"/metal pin with pliers, it will recess into the body of the lock and your key will be released.

Blackedout95
03-31-2012, 12:16 AM
Is it just me or did we just talk to a wall?

ali_baba
03-31-2012, 03:43 PM
i'll give it a try tomorrow. Currently out of town. Thanks for everyone's help