PDA

View Full Version : Coilovers

oakville46
03-19-2012, 08:39 PM
Anyone running ground control coilovers on their e46? If so, how do you like the ride especially driving through Toronto? I'm looking at either the GC, PSS10 and KW to swap into my 325i this summer.

Just trying to find something I like since after putting in the BMW M suspension kit I wasn't too happy with it.

sloveniaboy
03-19-2012, 08:53 PM
what didn't you like about the m suspension?

With GC's you can really get specific in how the suspension is designed. I suggest you call em and speak directly with Jay, tell him exactly what you want in regards desired height, use of the car, and feel on the street. He'll be able to custom build you a set tailored to your needs. Don't just order off of their site.

oakville46
03-19-2012, 10:02 PM
M suspension was too soft for my liking. I bottom out with a couple friends in the back seats driving around TO.

Thanks for the info.

drivetolive
03-19-2012, 10:54 PM
I would highly recommend the KWs. I cannot comment enough on how great they perform, both in the turns and especially on rough city roads. I have the V1s and they are excellent in terms of handling and comfort. They quite honestly are almost as comfortable on city roads as my stock suspension, yet far superior in terms of performance (although admittedly this is the first time Iíve owned a car with an aftermarket performance suspension setup).

If you decide to go with the KWs, I would suggest talking to Rocco at RMP as his prices were comparable to that of U.S. vendors.

Iíve also heard nothing but great things about GC.

Iím sure whatever choice you make youíll enjoy it over the stock E46 suspension.

oakville46
03-20-2012, 12:13 PM
^^thanks for the info. I was first leaning towards the H&R Cup Kit but I would much rather have the advantage of changing the ride height along the way to better fine tune the stance of the car and overall performance level.

ac_2007
03-20-2012, 12:44 PM
I'm planning on getting the H&R Sport Cupkit from tirerack.com
Perfect drop, and plenty of good reviews.

I'd be interested to see pics of your car with the M kit, oakvilleE46

rider-.
03-20-2012, 06:26 PM
ive got the cupkit, i also rub alot when the backseat is full.

oakville46
03-20-2012, 11:41 PM
^^ that's what I'm trying to avoid. I dont have the friends in the back much but I don't need to worry about messing up my M wheels and tires when they are back there; hence the route to go with coils instead now. I'd rather not have the headache later on.

Renboy
03-21-2012, 11:08 AM
I had a coilover on a previous car, and I have to be honest, unless it's a track car, don't bother. You think you may adjust the height, but you won't. You'll set it, and forget about it. I got eibach prokit spring and koni strt shocks/struts this time. Although I don't regret this route as it was very affordable and does drive nice, I would change to fsd's if I were to do it again. That way it would be softer in bumps and stiffer in turns.

Just my opinion.

Robhaskell
04-04-2012, 08:46 AM
Had PSS 10 coilovers in my 2001 330ci when I bought it. Stiff as a brick, especially when the 19" low profile wheels/tires were on. Swapped out for stock suspension, 17" wheels and a nice set of tires. Rides like a dream and I don't feel the cornereing or performance or handling for that matter are any less. Soft when you need it and handles great.

bmwmck
04-04-2012, 09:28 AM
I've had ST coilovers (similar to KW V1) on my sedan since last summer and I love them. Rides perfect, just how I want. Nice and stiff, but not uncomfortable (still girlfriend friendly) and you can't beat that price too.

addbhp
04-05-2012, 12:07 PM
I had a coilover on a previous car, and I have to be honest, unless it's a track car, don't bother. You think you may adjust the height, but you won't. You'll set it, and forget about it. I got eibach prokit spring and koni strt shocks/struts this time. Although I don't regret this route as it was very affordable and does drive nice, I would change to fsd's if I were to do it again. That way it would be softer in bumps and stiffer in turns.

Just my opinion.

Renboy, do you have a picture of your coupe with the Eibach prokit, was looking at that for my 330Cic, but with the FSD's. Sorry to hijack thread.

Renboy
04-05-2012, 05:18 PM
I'll post a pic tomorrow.

pawelgawel
04-12-2012, 11:00 PM
My personal opinion is stay away from coilovers... They are great for track and customization for shows but if your planning on driving in Toronto stick with OE or slight drop like H&R with bilstein or koni shocks.... With coils youll notice more ratteling in the car as everything will behin to shift and like it was mentioned before...... Youll set them to one height and leave them that way... A one time use for regular drivers.

Its your car.. You decide

ac_2007
04-13-2012, 02:43 AM
I've had ST coilovers (similar to KW V1) on my sedan since last summer and I love them. Rides perfect, just how I want. Nice and stiff, but not uncomfortable (still girlfriend friendly) and you can't beat that price too.

Good to hear, I just purchased my ST Coils last week. *wiggle*
$860 shipped for those wondering.

Did you install yourself?

StraightSix
04-13-2012, 03:34 AM
Good to hear, I just purchased my ST Coils last week. *wiggle*
$860 shipped for those wondering.

Did you install yourself?

Where did you find them for $860 shipped?

ac_2007
04-13-2012, 04:25 AM
FCPEuro.com with the 15% off discount

Now its like 10% off, so it comes to about $920 shipped.

StevieM3
05-01-2012, 11:24 AM
I have the STs on my e46 m3, they ride like a dream...and paid roughly the same price...same company as KWs can't go wrong.

Kamil
05-04-2012, 08:40 AM
well if this helps, my 328ci i bought with KW V1's. I love the ride quality but i cant tell you much about cornering because both front and rear tires are aggressively tucked so if i corner too hard i would rub really bad so ive never "tested" the suspension. but none the less for daily driving its pretty stiff but still pretty comfortable. Im sure V2's would not disappoint you with adjustable dampning and all.