PDA

View Full Version : If you've ever bottomed hard...

Bullet Ride
03-19-2012, 09:36 AM
...Like hard enough to smash your oil pan, or bend a rim, or just hard enough that you smash off the bump stops, it's worth while to pull the shocks out of your strut assemblies to make sure that they aren't damaged.

http://i575.photobucket.com/albums/ss191/StevoM5/325i/2012-03-15071041.jpg
http://i575.photobucket.com/albums/ss191/StevoM5/325i/2012-03-15071202.jpg

That's what mine looked like when I pulled them a couple weeks ago. I knew last year that they were damaged but drove on them anyway because I didn't have replacements at the time. They weren't in as bad of shape last year, they weren't split or leaking, the bodies just had a shallow kink in them and they still 'worked'. However a summers worth of hard driving and auto-x just crumpled them, the one on the right actually had a hairline split in the body and was oozing shock fluid.

So yeah, I just wanted to pass that on. If you bottom hard, although everything may look OK, your shock bodies may actually be damaged so make sure to inspect them.

T.Dot_E30
03-19-2012, 10:00 AM
Damn that's brutal.

Did you get the same replacements? Should look into shortened housings or something...

Bullet Ride
03-19-2012, 10:27 AM
Damn that's brutal.

Did you get the same replacements? Should look into shortened housings or something...

Yeah they are custom valved konis from GC so I got the replacements through them. My housings are shortened 2".

El Gato Liso
03-19-2012, 04:36 PM
i've bottomed out so many times and blew out my old shocks, just like yours

i've smashed my oil pan open, just like you did

i've also converted my bottle cap into a 90 degree rim

ahahhahaha

...but ya, thats brutal.

e30_kid89
03-19-2012, 07:32 PM
My old shortened billies also suffered this fate.....

InfiniteDice
03-19-2012, 08:36 PM
Maybe you guys should use some beefed up bump stops. lol.

e30tOny
03-19-2012, 08:59 PM
My suspension still A1-*th-up*

T.Dot_E30
03-19-2012, 09:07 PM
Damn, didn't realize they were already shorten.

I wonder how low your car is compared to my old e30.

Bullet Ride
03-19-2012, 10:08 PM
Damn, didn't realize they were already shorten.

I wonder how low your car is compared to my old e30.

The ridiculous thing is that I still have a spacer in the bottom that is at least 2" (somewhere between 2-2.5" I'd say). That means that if I wanted I could have shortened my housings another 2". With a 205/15 tire at full droop there would be like no gap between the top of the wheel and the fender... and at full low I'd be tucking a ton of tire. I'd need oodles of camber, stretch and fender roll to not be rubbing every second I'm driving... then there's the fact that the oil pan would be about 1.5" off the ground and a mere pebble would probably destroy it.

e30_kid89
03-19-2012, 11:36 PM
Maybe you guys should use some beefed up bump stops. lol.

Billies have internal bumpstops.....

see sig that was my e30's ride height.

mr ilia
03-19-2012, 11:55 PM
You guys do rally car jumping or something?

e30_kid89
03-20-2012, 12:21 AM

nope, just drive (rather drove) my e30 the way it was ment to be driven *rockout*

biotek
03-20-2012, 12:26 AM

or just driving in toronto :D

E30M42cab
03-20-2012, 01:56 AM
One day they'll pave the roads out in Guelph for you. Maybe. (This post of yours brings to mind that bump on on Wellington Rd 124 leaving Belfountain after the e30 cruise in the fall where the pavement stepped up like two inches out of nowhere. I felt it in my spine in my vert, but there was no time to warn you (driving behind me). I can only imagine what that felt like in your car knowing that your shocks were already totalled.)

I've got a lot more tire to take up some of those kinds of hits when I'm on the Ronals, and driving out here in Milton means that I'll stick with the higher profile tire for a while.

egye30
03-20-2012, 04:03 AM
My suspension still A1-*th-up*

ahh i knew you seemed very familiar.. the sig made the connection for me, and your car.. welcome back lol

Bullet Ride
03-20-2012, 08:57 AM
I can only imagine what that felt like in your car knowing that your shocks were already totalled.)

Yeah, thanks for the warning *uzi* It was brutal There was like a vertex in the road. The road dipped down and then shot up. I'm pretty sure I hit the bump stops on all 4 corners.

That wasn't after the cruise though. It was after auto-x when we went to fire pit and then to your place to look at that heap of an E30 parts car in your driveway.

InfiniteDice
03-20-2012, 10:40 AM
If they have internal bumps they can't be too substantial... I'm putting external bumps on mine.

You shouldn't be able to bottom out the strut or the spring, if you can you'll get something like this happen or worse. If you're bottoming the spring you need stiffer springs or bump stops. If you're bottoming the strut then something is really wrong as you'd have to collapse the spring all the way and then some.

I think the problem is in the effort to go too low you're taking out all of the reliability. The front of my car is pretty low, and I still have standard length struts and bump stops. The front springs do bind up on big hits and that's not good.. I have 475# for the front that are going on shortly.

I'd say get external bumps even if you cut them in half.

Bullet Ride
03-20-2012, 12:45 PM
I've got external bump stops, they come with the GC coils. I've only bottomed twice, once when I smashed my oil pan and the time Scott mentioned above. And to be honest I'm not sure if it's bottoming per-say but the impulse is so large that it can absorb it fast enough and the shock effectively transfers the load as if it's a rigid body. Other than that it's not like I'm bottoming out everywhere I drive because my car is lowered. Those were two fairly extreme situations.

E30M42cab
03-20-2012, 01:02 PM
Yeah, thanks for the warning *uzi* It was brutal There was like a vertex in the road. The road dipped down and then shot up. I'm pretty sure I hit the bump stops on all 4 corners.

That wasn't after the cruise though. It was after auto-x when we went to fire pit and then to your place to look at that heap of an E30 parts car in your driveway.

Oh that's right, it was in Britannia Rd wasn't it! The second I hit it, I watched you slam into it expecting your car to completely fall apart.