PDA

View Full Version : Miami Weiss

defaultName
03-10-2012, 07:39 AM
Most people may know about this car already from my 'Name My New Project!' thread which was somewhat of a failure. Most people voted that my names were all stupid, and they probably were.

But with work already starting on the car already I figured my thread needed to get going sooner or later so here it is.

Project Miami Weiss!

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-vJ19b7ORogA/T1PZp_q1oHI/AAAAAAAAAZQ/GA91QQc50qs/s640/IMG045.jpg

I really like the Pfeba kit. A lot of people don't and I understand why. It does change the look of the car quite a bit and an M Tech II front end does look cleaner. As far as kits go though I think it is definitely one of the nicer ones.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-4074ahk5aSE/T1PZpyW6NHI/AAAAAAAAAY0/qap3iwXC2Eo/s640/IMG047.jpg

I have been trying to find any information I can on it but I can't seem to come up with much. I did find a 'BMW Aerodynamik' brochure which has a lot of photos and part numbers but it's in German. I would love to know how many are actually around.

Also this one has side markers whereas most I see do not. I don't know if there were 2 different kits made or holes were just cut. I would like to have those filled in because it does look cleaner.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/--dyZj5ucL9M/T1PdZe3fC5I/AAAAAAAAAZg/jS1BFkNOLZc/s640/IMG046.jpg

As always I don't have huge plans for the car. With limited space and since I daily drive my E30's (when they work) engine swaps and things that will take more then a weekend are usually out of the picture.

Suspension and brakes are already underway and should be finished this weekend. I have basically brand new H&R race springs and Bilstein sport shocks from my Schwarz coupe. I also have brand new stock brakes from that car as well. Ball joints, M3 offset bushings, and tie rods will be done as well... Hopefully.

I want to drive spend the summer driving the car. I don't want this to be a common sight... (and if you look closely you'll see a few wheel options, but more on that later)

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-FGHi3y7t3C4/T1s9qY_zdaI/AAAAAAAAAZ8/6mE1mE7zQB0/s640/IMG050.jpg

cormier
03-10-2012, 11:02 AM
Suspension counts for a lot it's good to be done and you sound like you know what's up with it lol

I like the kit it's not obnoxious or anything

MaxBell
03-10-2012, 11:38 AM
I like the kit too! It's unusual and a little less played out.

Woofer
03-10-2012, 01:15 PM
I grew to like mine lol.
But I only installed the lower part of the valence, kept the stock bumper cover. I still think I am going to change it when I have time. There are things that still bug me about it.

Good luck with your project.

E30M42cab
03-10-2012, 04:24 PM
I'm going to update this thread for you:

Rear brakes are done, rear Bilsteins and H&R's are in, front suspension is underway, but getting the front tie rods off is proving to be a nightmare, as expected.

15x7 et13 rim was mounted for show on the rear... looks bad-ass!

cormier
03-10-2012, 04:45 PM
Et13 very nice we'll need some
pix when the STANCE is complete *th-up*

e30_moment
03-10-2012, 05:00 PM
looking forward to seeing the finished product! good luck

defaultName
03-10-2012, 05:10 PM
I'm going to update this thread for you:

Rear brakes are done, rear Bilsteins and H&R's are in, front suspension is underway, but getting the front tie rods off is proving to be a nightmare, as expected.

15x7 et13 rim was mounted for show on the rear... looks bad-ass!

I'm going to update this thread while Scott's in the emergency room:

Front suspension progress is on hold due to Scott slicing open his hand while making a sandwich fcplm

This is actually good because it gives me time to source a Z3 rack as it looks like replacing a rack is going to be easier then removing 21 year old tie rods *uzi*

E30M42cab
03-11-2012, 12:19 AM
True story. Sorry to leave you stranded like that. Once I stop bleeding through the bandage, I 'll come by after work this week and we can get that inner ball joint off.

Bloody inner ball joint. Almost as hard to get off as the front wheels!! No Joke.

Bullet Ride
03-11-2012, 10:24 AM
Front suspension progress is on hold due to Scott slicing open his hand while making a sandwich fcplm

This is one of the best project status updates I've seen recently :D
I'm only laughing at it because Scott seems to be ok and can still type.

Bloody inner ball joint. Almost as hard to get off as the front wheels!! No Joke.

You guys are having problems with the tie rod and inner ball joint? C'Mon...
Inner ball joint is easy, your run of the mill $20 pickle fork should wedge nicely between the control arm and the front subframe right near the inner ball joint... smash it with a BFH until it pops.
For the tie rod
-turn the wheel so the desired ball joint is facing out
-support strut assembly with a jack
-if you're trying to save the ball joint screw the nut onto the ball joint stud
-get something solid such as an old, long 1/2" extension
-place on top of ball joint stud
-abuse repeatedly with BFH until it pops.
-alternatively you can also beat against the control arm, but the farther you hit from the ball joint the longer it will take to get it to pop

bmwm5lover
03-11-2012, 11:26 AM
Sounds like you folks are having fun!
We need progress pics...

E30M42cab
03-11-2012, 11:02 PM
This is one of the best project status updates I've seen recently :D
I'm only laughing at it because Scott seems to be ok and can still type.

You guys are having problems with the tie rod and inner ball joint? C'Mon...
Inner ball joint is easy, your run of the mill $20 pickle fork should wedge nicely between the control arm and the front subframe right near the inner ball joint... smash it with a BFH until it pops.
For the tie rod
-turn the wheel so the desired ball joint is facing out
-support strut assembly with a jack
-if you're trying to save the ball joint screw the nut onto the ball joint stud
-get something solid such as an old, long 1/2" extension
-place on top of ball joint stud
-abuse repeatedly with BFH until it pops.
-alternatively you can also beat against the control arm, but the farther you hit from the ball joint the longer it will take to get it to pop

All the ball joints were no problem getting to pop. That's not the issue. Just clearance on the passenger side inner. Getting the socket under the M42 exhaust manifold is a tight fit, but otherwise not an issue.

The real issue is taking the outer tie rods off... they're original, and don't have a flat spot to put a wrench on them. So even with fire, witch's piss, and vice grips, those outer tie rods are on there to stay. New z3 rack will take care of that.

Bullet Ride
03-12-2012, 08:39 AM
The real issue is taking the outer tie rods off... they're original, and don't have a flat spot to put a wrench on them. So even with fire, witch's piss, and vice grips, those outer tie rods are on there to stay. New z3 rack will take care of that.

Just trash it. The whole tie rod assembly only costs like $15 more than the outter tie rod does.

DIY
03-12-2012, 11:50 AM
no flat spot? just grind a new one :P

lol Scott ... lol

E30M42cab
03-12-2012, 12:19 PM
We were doing the work at Kevin's place, so i didn't have my grinder. We're trashing the whole thing... steering rack and all. It's leaking all over the place, so I think the Z3 swap is in order.

Bullet Ride
03-12-2012, 12:35 PM
We were doing the work at Kevin's place, so i didn't have my grinder. We're trashing the whole thing... steering rack and all. It's leaking all over the place, so I think the Z3 swap is in order.

Go buy that manual rack from Richie... that's a massive fuh raze part *rockout*

E30M42cab
03-12-2012, 05:36 PM
I saw him on friday night, and I believe he said he finally sold it.

Bullet Ride
03-12-2012, 10:14 PM
I saw him on friday night, and I believe he said he finally sold it.

Yeah I think he sold it on CASC.

SamE30e
03-12-2012, 10:24 PM
I have your control arm's hostage in the trunk of my car.

E30M42cab
03-13-2012, 12:17 AM
^^It's true.

richie_s999
03-13-2012, 05:43 AM
people know to much, spies everywhere!!!

Manual rack, Yep its gone, Scott I should be getting that car in today so I will be sending you pics of the front seats, and someone else may have a gas tank.

defaultName
03-13-2012, 06:03 PM

I appreciate you helping me out with this! I was surprised that a lot of places don't/can't press in ball joints and bushings...

We're trashing the whole thing... steering rack and all. It's leaking all over the place

Thankfully the rack isn't leaking since I'll be driving on it for a while, just everything to do with the power steering.

Z3 rack swap may have to be delayed. I won't get the parts in time and I need the car on the road next week.

no flat spot? just grind a new one :P

I never actually thought about that. I'll keep that in mind for next time.

Et13 very nice we'll need some
pix when the STANCE is complete *th-up*

All in good time...

We need progress pics...

Pics of um... "progress" *shiner*

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-OfOVWqHkJH4/T1_B1BravaI/AAAAAAAAAao/4QSLsLmbUOk/s640/IMG062.jpg

Not sure how a suspension swap ended up with me having an extra trunk lid!

E30M42cab
03-13-2012, 06:29 PM
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-OfOVWqHkJH4/T1_B1BravaI/AAAAAAAAAao/4QSLsLmbUOk/s640/IMG062.jpg

Not sure how a suspension swap ended up with me having an extra trunk lid!

HA! Rob said he would swing by one day and pick it up from you! Trust me! Give me a few more day to let my finger grow back and I'll come over with the ball joints and shit and we'll bolt her all back together, and maaaaybe I'll remove the trunk when I leave. Also, I want your ET13's.

defaultName
03-13-2012, 06:49 PM
HA! Rob said he would swing by one day and pick it up from you! Trust me!

FYI, it's garbage day tomorrow. :moon:

Give me a few more day to let my finger grow back and I'll come over with the ball joints and shit and we'll bolt her all back together

Sweet! Bring a spare rack with you...

Also, I want your ET13's.

Can't have 'em! *love*

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-Dqttj1Th7Ic/T1_BuR-QhlI/AAAAAAAAAaY/vLvLBm1AUsU/s640/IMG054.jpg

E30M42cab
03-13-2012, 10:13 PM

Actually, they're back in my trunk now*wave*

FYI, it's garbage day tomorrow

Like I just said:P

egye30
03-14-2012, 12:07 AM
Heyy that trunk looks awfully familiar :P

Glad to see you guys are making progress on that project, seen the car in person and i think it looks better in person than it does in these pics, and I agree with the guys who said keep the black interior, its in awesome shape, good luck with the rest of the work *wave*

people know to much, spies everywhere!!!

Manual rack, Yep its gone, Scott I should be getting that car in today so I will be sending you pics of the front seats, and someone else may have a gas tank.

and by someone you mean Me, right Richie? *angel* lol

Bullet Ride
03-14-2012, 07:55 AM
and by someone you mean Me, right Richie? *angel* lol

not necessarily *angel*

defaultName
03-14-2012, 06:15 PM
Actually, they're back in my trunk now*wave*

Woot! So what's the plan?

I've got a 6 pack of Hoegaarden and some other beer as back up, so at least if we fail we can do it while drinking and hopefully enjoying some nice weather *drink*

E30M42cab
03-14-2012, 11:19 PM
Don't forget the $40! We'll get the whole motherf-er done tomorrow night in an hour... ish.

defaultName
03-15-2012, 07:24 AM
... ish.

This.

Timeline always has to have an "ish" when working on E30's

Bullet Ride
03-15-2012, 08:09 AM
This.

Timeline always has to have an "ish" when working on E30's

^ lol

That happened to me last night. I went to swap on my summer tires and I decided that while I had the front wheels off I'd swap in my new Koni inserts (old ones were destroyed). I got to unbolt the swaybar link tab from the control arm... stud shears off like butter. Oh well I can live without my front sway bar for a day or two... I'll just take off the sway bar link so it's not flopping around and rubbing against anything... nut is seized on the link pretty good and the flats for the thin 16mm spanner aren't doing shit to support me... I try clamping down with a vice grip to hold it... no luck... at this point the sway bar link is more or less ruined... So I just cut it off with the angle grinder.

Long story short I went out at 7pm thinking it would be an hour and half-ish maybe 2-ish hour job... I finished at midnight.

MaxBell
03-15-2012, 08:44 PM
Love it Bullet Ride. That's some classic E30 shit.

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110131021623/glee/images/b/ba/BURN_BOOK.gif

Put it in the thread... http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115069&page=12

cormier
03-15-2012, 08:58 PM
^^ lmao that story sounds pretty familiar

defaultName
03-16-2012, 07:21 AM
We'll get the whole motherf-er done tomorrow night in an hour... ish.

Unfortunately this didn't happen.

About 3 hours later and the tie rods STILL WOULDN'T COME OFF!!!

[opens a new tab to search for a Z3 rack...]

Bullet Ride
03-16-2012, 08:57 AM
Unfortunately this didn't happen.

About 3 hours later and the tie rods STILL WOULDN'T COME OFF!!!

[opens a new tab to search for a Z3 rack...]

Are you guys still trying to remove the ends? Or are you trying to remove the whole tie rod assembly from the steering rack now? It shouldn't be hard to remove the end that threads into the steering rack because it's protected by the boot, and when your steering rack takes a shit it self lubricates...

E30M42cab
03-16-2012, 10:16 AM
yeah, just the outer end... that's all he ordered. We figured we'd give it a few days soaking in PB Blaster, then hit with a flame and crank it off. Didn't happen. Anyways, the suspension is all back in, new ball joints and M3 offset lolly's are in (funny story). we just need to take care of this rack, bleed the brakes and GET SOME RUBBER ON THOSE et13's!!!!!!!!!!!!

SamE30e
03-16-2012, 06:40 PM
Heat heat heat heat heat...

E30M42cab
03-16-2012, 08:09 PM
yeah, we've heated the shit out of them, don't worry. Propane only heats so well.

Saws-all is next.

defaultName
03-17-2012, 11:33 AM
New parts on order.

New Z3 rack, new hardware, and a power steering delete because I don't even know where to begin with that leaky pile of garbage!

No more wasting time with used, seized, original bullshit...

everlast
03-17-2012, 12:38 PM
MAPP equivalent gas works a little better than propane.. not much, but a little, fyi.

SamE30e
03-17-2012, 09:06 PM
Don't delete the power steering. Just fix it, probably needs crush washers.

defaultName
03-18-2012, 07:25 AM
Don't delete the power steering. Just fix it, probably needs crush washers.

I'm going to try it out for a while to see how it goes. It's leaking from a few places, one of them being the bottom of the reservoir.

I won't remove the pump or anything until I drive around for a bit and am satisfied that I can live with it.

It's really just a temporary fix so I don't have to deal with power steering leaks for now.

SamE30e
03-18-2012, 01:34 PM
Easy fix! Don't conform, it's not Fuhraze

defaultName
03-18-2012, 03:08 PM
it's not Fuhraze

Not yet, but it will be soon!

...just kidding.

I have no intention of butchering this car in the hopes it will magically become a race car. But if I can kill two birds with one stone then why not?

T.Dot_E30
03-18-2012, 08:39 PM
An Oxygen Acetylene Torch and a pipe wrench and that sucker is coming off.

Otherwise it's best to just buy the complete tie rod assemblies. (Aren't they like $60 each end complete?)

Chefskinny
03-18-2012, 08:51 PM
Nice to see e30's getting love!

defaultName
03-18-2012, 09:34 PM
Otherwise it's best to just buy the complete tie rod assemblies. (Aren't they like $60 each end complete?)

In hindsight that would've been easier but I didn't know it was that cheap to buy the complete assemblies and I really underestimated how hard it would be to remove just the tie rods.

I helped Scott remove his and it was a pain but nothing like this.

Nice to see e30's getting love!

Right now it's getting a little more hate then love but that'll change once I actually start driving it.

e30tOny
03-20-2012, 07:06 AM
New parts on order.

New Z3 rack, new hardware, and a power steering delete because I don't even know where to begin with that leaky pile of garbage!

No more wasting time with used, seized, original bullshit...

:idea: I'm sure I must have something I can sell you??

e30tOny
03-20-2012, 09:46 AM
Ya ,:idea:I think it's about time you man-up and get a nice set of wheels

*smoke*

Woofer
03-20-2012, 12:47 PM
Nice wheels. Selling?

E30M42cab
03-20-2012, 03:06 PM
Nice wheels. Selling?
Yes, they're for sale. He's got a thread up on R3v.

lost
03-20-2012, 04:12 PM
Nice project!! Looking forward to following along!

defaultName
03-20-2012, 05:24 PM
Ya ,:idea:I think it's about time you man-up and get a nice set of wheels

*smoke*

I've got a set of wheels already, I just need to work on them a little before they're ready.

Those are amazing though!

Nice wheels. Selling?

Yes, they're for sale. He's got a thread up on R3v.

*mw* http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=233737

Nice project!! Looking forward to following along!

The springs I got from you are already installed!

e30tOny
03-20-2012, 05:37 PM
I am truly jealous, that car of yours was one H*** of a Find*sad*

defaultName
03-21-2012, 12:43 PM
I am truly jealous, that car of yours was one H*** of a Find*sad*

Thanks! I love getting compliments about the car *par-t*

e30tOny
03-22-2012, 09:45 AM
:idea: this nice staggered set of German made 16"s would look pretty killer too!!

*smoke*

E30M42cab
03-22-2012, 11:02 AM
Thanks! I love getting compliments about the car *par-t*

Your car would make a great parts car.:moon:

Got tires yet?

defaultName
03-22-2012, 02:17 PM
Your car would make a great parts car.:moon:

A$$HOLE!

But seriously I had better get my parts soon or it may come to that!

Count down to part out: 7 days

(just kidding)

Bullet Ride
03-22-2012, 02:49 PM
(just kidding)

... but seriously

E30M42cab
03-22-2012, 08:37 PM
dibs on stuff

lost
03-22-2012, 08:40 PM
I've fallen behind somewhere along your e30 adventure... can someone coles notes this...

You had an e30 that you were working on, then got the cabriolet...and I've been absent from this point to Mimai Weiss... do you still have the other two?

Bullet Ride
03-22-2012, 09:47 PM
Coles Notes:

He had an E30, he tried to put it on the road but just ended up parting it out.
Then he bought this E30, he's trying to put it on the road.... but he's probably just going to part this one out too...

Such is the life of an E30 owner.

defaultName
03-23-2012, 07:13 AM
I've fallen behind somewhere along your e30 adventure... can someone coles notes this...

You had an e30 that you were working on, then got the cabriolet...and I've been absent from this point to Mimai Weiss... do you still have the other two?

Coles Notes:

He had an E30, he tried to put it on the road but just ended up parting it out.
Then he bought this E30, he's trying to put it on the road.... but he's probably just going to part this one out too...

Such is the life of an E30 owner.

Close, but not quite.

Coles Notes (Ver.2):

Bought a Schwarz coupe for dirt cheap...

http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140292

Turned out to be a lot of headaches. Eventually got it on the road. Half parted it out and then gave the rest away.

Bought a Delphin convertible...

http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143377

Extremely clean, but I wasn't feeling a convertible so I sold it.

Bought the Weiss coupe.

Attempted a suspension swap with less then stellar results. Currently waiting for parts to solve problem. Probably will make it worse...

CAR WILL NOT BE PARTED ! ! ! *uzi*

E30M42cab
03-23-2012, 12:44 PM
CAR WILL NOW BE PARTED ! ! ! *th-up*

Hooray!*par-t* I call licence plate filler!

nonlocal
03-23-2012, 03:06 PM

You already have one of those. Stop hoarding. You'll never have a house that way!

Oh wait.

defaultName
03-24-2012, 06:56 AM

Why do I get the feeling that you've been sabotaging my car this whole time!

You already have one of those. Stop hoarding. You'll never have a house that way!

Oh wait.

I drove by your old Mazda the other day... It's been sitting outside of Lenny's since you moved.

nonlocal
03-24-2012, 02:14 PM
Haha whut

I thought they sold it

Shrug.

E30M42cab
03-25-2012, 12:44 AM
Why do I get the feeling that you've been sabotaging my car this whole time!

You should see what I just did to John's car!

Haha whut

I thought they sold it

Shrug.

They can't sell it. They should part it out instead.

richie_s999
03-25-2012, 07:55 AM
You should see what I just did to John's car!

Um, what we did...*angel*

E30M42cab
03-25-2012, 01:41 PM
Um, what we did...*angel*

What you did to the driveshaft, exhaust and gas tank, what I did to the engine:)

richie_s999
03-25-2012, 03:14 PM
What you did to the driveshaft, exhaust and gas tank, what I did to the engine:)

Neither one of us could have got it done that fast without John passing us tools all afternoon.

nonlocal
03-25-2012, 03:17 PM

Indeed. That's what I should have done.

defaultName
03-25-2012, 06:21 PM

Indeed. That's what I should have done.

When in doubt, part it out!

E30M42cab
03-25-2012, 09:26 PM
When in doubt, part it out!

Who's going to print the T-shirts!?

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h179/e30m42cab/E30partout-1.png

DIY
03-25-2012, 09:53 PM
Maxbimmer?

Or do I hear a group buy? Cause ied be down! lol but keep it single coloured

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTYyIs-tHm2sh62LllULI_yPrKY5UEqqqL-UYMZtCa9YHPA5G0K
Or
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQV-zkMI98dtSVWhj60tLhNx60wHRYRrFjF4yynGPTIQheT9P4f1Q

You guys doin johns replacement?
I presume he's the tool jockey so he doesn't get his suits dirty :P

E30M42cab
03-26-2012, 06:28 PM
You guys doin johns replacement?
I presume he's the tool jockey so he doesn't get his suits dirty :P

It's almost like you saw us through your crystal ball!!:D Truth be told, John removed his engine. Like that's it, he jacked up the hoist after Rich and I finished undoing everything, haha. Then we made him take the pressure plate and flywheel off while we drank beer and shot the shit with Doogie, davericher, and Redrocket... and discussed vacuum cleaner purchases.:huh?:

We kicked it's ass though. We were ready to pull the engine after about 3 hours of work, then waited for the hoist to arrive.

DIY
03-26-2012, 07:05 PM
Lol aint that how they did it in 1990 germany in the pits at the racetrack?! Like pros *th-up* so when we starting a raceteam?

E30M42cab
03-26-2012, 08:30 PM
Today! Who's car will we use?

DIY
03-26-2012, 09:34 PM
Today! Who's car will we use?

Well according to a lot of posts on this thread there might be a shell availible lol and lots of parts :P (knock on wood, white E30 ftw! I'm hopin this car turns out awesome!)

Doogie's is well underway ... But he's coverd all the fun parts :(
Bulletrides knee deep in one with potential
When I grab a job this summer and another car then mine :D ... I was already lookin at a sequential gearbox ...drool.. First 10g's I got :D

dble Trouble
03-26-2012, 10:06 PM
Wow I don't visit Max for a while and come and visit to catch up on this thread and there's a whole bunch of John bashing! WOW! Good thing I know you're kidding.

E30M42cab
03-27-2012, 01:01 AM
Wow I don't visit Max for a while and come and visit to catch up on this thread and there's a whole bunch of John bashing! WOW! Good thing I know you're kidding.

We liked you better when you didn't have internet*wave*

You're doing a fine job. Once you have all your accessories bolted back on, and all your new parts, I'll be there to put it all back together. Don't you worry!

richie_s999
03-27-2012, 05:26 AM

yes we love you, and yes Scott and I FEAR the fact that you realize how fast we can change a boat anchor and that I have 3 or 4 of them and that after every track weekend we will be called upon.

needless to say I bought a coupe last night, so cross fingers its a good shell and lets start the E30 race team!

Bullet Ride
03-27-2012, 08:15 AM
How many max guys does it take to swap John's M20?.... apparently the whole E30 subforum :D

How many max guys does it take to lug an M42 out of a car sitting on a driveway with no engine hoist?.... Just me an Scott *th-up*

How long does it take for an E30 build thread to get way off topic on max?..... just a few hours :D

richie_s999
03-27-2012, 11:37 AM
Scott and I had everything done, except lift the motor out, everyone else showed up after the work was done

defaultName
03-27-2012, 11:38 AM
How many max guys does it take to swap John's M20?.... apparently the whole E30 subforum :D

How many max guys does it take to lug an M42 out of a car sitting on a driveway with no engine hoist?.... Just me an Scott *th-up*

How long does it take for an E30 build thread to get way off topic on max?..... just a few hours :D

How many days does it take to swap the suspension on my car? Going on 1 month!

I'll get this thread back on topic with an update later today...

e30tOny
03-27-2012, 12:12 PM
*smoke*
:confused:I thought this was a Part-out thread???

Bullet Ride
03-27-2012, 12:16 PM
How many days does it take to swap the suspension on my car? Going on 1 month!

I'll get this thread back on topic with an update later today...

If you remember my thread, it took me about 40 hours but I did it all in a week. That involved installing all new poly bushings and shortening the housings.

defaultName
03-27-2012, 05:54 PM
*rockout* Now we're talking ! ! ! *uzi*

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-NdDt0dqF5lo/T29THGlKvXI/AAAAAAAAAbc/sVfXOytjQ9E/s640/IMG066.jpg

Time for a workout...

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-g55Cca-TaKU/T29THDroFBI/AAAAAAAAAbw/yVSLLlCkXao/s640/IMG068.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Y95e1Xhg254/T29TE3-4Z8I/AAAAAAAAAbU/pmVBDJYzmNY/s640/IMG069.jpg

I was excited to find this waiting for me when I got home today...

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-atn5-tj2YFk/T3IywdrypYI/AAAAAAAAAcA/sufz4omIWpw/s640/IMG070.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-boCypYoYDeI/T3IyvVDDHzI/AAAAAAAAAb4/LPnW7ppdx6c/s640/IMG072.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-31lOstA3zA0/T3Iy0GbCAdI/AAAAAAAAAcQ/gMIYD-k9FU0/s640/IMG073.jpg

Let the fun begin ! ! ! *par-t*

defaultName
03-27-2012, 05:56 PM
*smoke*
:confused:I thought this was a Part-out thread???

Sorry you're mistaken.

This is a part out thread...

http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149575

;)

E30M42cab
03-27-2012, 06:07 PM
Sweet. Git er done! Ah crap, so when do you want me there? I've gotta clear it with the boss... and I'm flying outa here on sunday for a week.

defaultName
03-27-2012, 06:17 PM
Sweet. Git er done! Ah crap, so when do you want me there? I've gotta clear it with the boss... and I'm flying outa here on sunday for a week.

Nice, where to?

Any day's good for me. Tomorrow I'll finish removing my old rack and I'll prepare the new one to go in.

I'm still waiting on the swap kit... I should've just went to BMW to get the hardware I needed! Maybe I'll do that tomorrow.

E30M42cab
03-27-2012, 06:48 PM
Punta Cana. Better not rain.

I'll check her schedule when I get home and let you know. Got new crush washers for the banjo bolts?

DIY
03-27-2012, 07:28 PM
Punta Cana. Better not rain.

The only reason why I hope it rains is then you'll finally realize that money spent on vacation is better spent on stiffer anti-roll bars and stickier rubber :P

E30M42cab
03-28-2012, 12:59 AM
Don't tell me, tell the GF. Believe me, I'm not pleased to be going as I'd rather spend that on my car for sure. Not to mention that I won't be able to sit in the e30 for an entire week!! Jesus, that just occured to me!

I'll soon forget about that when I think of all the hot girls I'll be looking at, all the booze I'll be consuming, and all the time not doing work, while all you homo's are playing with your little cars:moon: I kid, I kid! I'll miss my cars dearly while I'm gone... this is the longest I'll ever be away from them!:(

Oh yea, hot chicks! See ya!

egye30
03-28-2012, 01:16 AM
*rockout* Now we're talking ! ! ! *uzi*

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-NdDt0dqF5lo/T29THGlKvXI/AAAAAAAAAbc/sVfXOytjQ9E/s640/IMG066.jpg

Time for a workout...

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-g55Cca-TaKU/T29THDroFBI/AAAAAAAAAbw/yVSLLlCkXao/s640/IMG068.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Y95e1Xhg254/T29TE3-4Z8I/AAAAAAAAAbU/pmVBDJYzmNY/s640/IMG069.jpg

I was excited to find this waiting for me when I got home today...

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-atn5-tj2YFk/T3IywdrypYI/AAAAAAAAAcA/sufz4omIWpw/s640/IMG070.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-boCypYoYDeI/T3IyvVDDHzI/AAAAAAAAAb4/LPnW7ppdx6c/s640/IMG072.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-31lOstA3zA0/T3Iy0GbCAdI/AAAAAAAAAcQ/gMIYD-k9FU0/s640/IMG073.jpg

Let the fun begin ! ! ! *par-t*

sexy rack :o how much did that set you back if you dont mind me askin?

richie_s999
03-28-2012, 05:32 AM
Don't tell me, tell the GF. Believe me, I'm not pleased to be going as I'd rather spend that on my car for sure. Not to mention that I won't be able to sit in the e30 for an entire week!! Jesus, that just occured to me!

I'll soon forget about that when I think of all the hot girls I'll be looking at, all the booze I'll be consuming, and all the time not doing work, while all you homo's are playing with your little cars:moon: I kid, I kid! I'll miss my cars dearly while I'm gone... this is the longest I'll ever be away from them!:(

Oh yea, hot chicks! See ya!

bet you end up getting off the plane and you realize is Pride week in Punta Cana :D

e30tOny
03-28-2012, 07:36 AM
*smoke*
I was told that, Punta Cana, is an excellent place to donate your kidneys for free!
Unfortunately, the post op, is an added, extra cost!
[could possibly cost you : an arm, a leg, your complete fleet of vehicles, & your cache of "hoarded parts"]

*** the deals you are gonna miss are going to make you..........:puke:

&...O Ya, OP......"nice rack!!!"*th-up*

E30M42cab
03-28-2012, 12:55 PM
bet you end up getting off the plane and you realize is Pride week in Punta Cana :D

= more topless chicks!:D

defaultName
03-28-2012, 01:29 PM
sexy rack :o how much did that set you back if you dont mind me askin?

$400 shipped plus duty.

Brand new, not remanufactured.

"nice rack!!!"*th-up*

Thanks! I spent a good hour just holding it when I got home.

= more topless chicks!:D

And pantless dudes! *par-t*

defaultName
03-28-2012, 10:22 PM
Finally received my E36 steering rack swap kit today...

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-3slqM0DmoUs/T3O-A_Rxv4I/AAAAAAAAAcs/HBCFSLdkVA0/s640/IMG076.jpg

So I pulled out my steering knuckle so I could get it ready for the swap.

I'm pretty sure I did it right but I figured I would post some pics just in case. It isn't tightened yet so it may look a little loose...

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-n6juST6xxpM/T3O-Tbc6YfI/AAAAAAAAAdE/nDSqPPcTej4/s640/IMG078.jpg

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-Ht1eH10bkRE/T3O-bk2IWjI/AAAAAAAAAdU/8vH_uEC7NQE/s640/IMG079.jpg

My main concern is with the steering knuckle binding. Does this look too tight...

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-h3UN-7WUq_4/T3O-dxP494I/AAAAAAAAAdc/JP5uZq62Y_4/s640/IMG081.jpg

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-l8Xobwv0Fgg/T3O-bHI8M-I/AAAAAAAAAdM/1JhDTMzV-Kc/s640/IMG080.jpg

If anyone has done the swap and has some advice I would love to hear it!

I did have a few specific questions:

Should I grind the knuckle down before I tighten everything, or wait to see if it binds and then grind it? Do they always bind?

Will I need longer bolts to secure the rack to the subframe now that I am adding spacers? The swap guide on r3v shows "Bolt M10x50 - 26111226737" but it does not say where to use them.

I'll be doing the swap tomorrow so I'd rather ask now then when it's too late!

DIY
03-28-2012, 11:51 PM
As long as theres a bit of space in the knucle it should work.. picture it pivoting a little bit .. I would grind out a bit of space

You shouldnt need longer bolts, the tabs on the subframe havent changed in distance, just the amount of space filled in between them by the rack. I was also confused by that part, Im using the stock bolts that were in my car origonally, only new harware was in the knuckle ... as long as its the same as the E36

Bullet Ride
03-29-2012, 08:12 AM
Looks like you could use some slightly longer SHCSs on your knuckle they aren't even past the nylock.

richie_s999
03-29-2012, 08:45 AM
how long did it take to get the kit shipped?

might ask for some measurements off it for John's car, as I think we have to peice together the parts for extending the knuckle in his car

E30M42cab
03-29-2012, 09:04 AM
Looks like you could use some slightly longer SHCSs on your knuckle they aren't even past the nylock.

That's my concern as well... unless you tighten it up and it goes through the nylock, otherwise that doesn't look right as it sits.

defaultName
03-29-2012, 05:23 PM
As long as theres a bit of space in the knucle it should work.. picture it pivoting a little bit .. I would grind out a bit of space

You shouldnt need longer bolts, the tabs on the subframe havent changed in distance, just the amount of space filled in between them by the rack. I was also confused by that part, Im using the stock bolts that were in my car origonally, only new harware was in the knuckle ... as long as its the same as the E36

Ok makes sense.

That's my concern as well... unless you tighten it up and it goes through the nylock, otherwise that doesn't look right as it sits.

I haven't tightened it down fully yet. It does look like it may not fit but there is more room to tighten. Plus I could probably remove the washer too, unless that would be dangerous?

how long did it take to get the kit shipped?

might ask for some measurements off it for John's car, as I think we have to peice together the parts for extending the knuckle in his car

I ordered it on Mar.16, it shipped on Mar.19, and I received it on Mar.28

I would just order the kit if you have time to wait. It will save you some time and unless you have the required parts already then it will probably be cheaper.

E30M42cab
03-29-2012, 06:39 PM
dangerous?

There's two bolts. What's the worst that can happen, right?

defaultName
04-02-2012, 09:01 PM
So Scott came by on Friday and we actually managed to swap in the Z3 steering rack fairly easily.

Everything went pretty smoothly and there looked to be barely any binding in the steering knuckle. We didn't have time to actually drive the car that day so it wasn't until Sunday that I actually was able to pull it out of the garage.

Overall I'm pretty happy with the way it's sitting although I seriously need to put my new wheels on!

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-SjR-SEYTuSc/T3pG4O691WI/AAAAAAAAAeY/9NIkgqNPWCE/s640/IMG085.jpg

The problem's started happening when I drove it. I didn't really have an issue with binding so much as the car pulling violently left and right. It fells as if someone is jerking on the steering wheel. I would turn the steering wheel very slightly and then it would continue to turn on its own until it locks

I put the car back in the garage and tried to grind down the steering knuckle but it didn't feel or look like it was binding very much so I wasn't sure how much to really remove. I drove the car again and it didn't feel much better at all.

I'm really not sure what could be causing this. Would a binding steering knuckle cause the car to pull from side to side, because I thought it would make it harder to turn?

I even tried to check if my tie rods were touching my wheel but there seems to be enough room. Power steering has been deleted as well.

Any ideas?

Ceeker
04-02-2012, 09:22 PM
Did you double check alignment? toe out can definitely affect steering. I would lube the shit out of the knuckle and then work it in and drive to see if it changes. I've had binding steering knuckes - typically occurs from car sitting for a while. We use to lube those periodically to keep them free. what tires are you running stock or wider? that can also have an effect. Are you sure the rack is good. A worn shaft can cause binding through it's turn cycle.

dble Trouble
04-02-2012, 09:24 PM
Alignment....you're toe is probably out something drastic!

defaultName
04-03-2012, 04:45 PM
Did you double check alignment? toe out can definitely affect steering. I would lube the shit out of the knuckle and then work it in and drive to see if it changes. I've had binding steering knuckes - typically occurs from car sitting for a while. We use to lube those periodically to keep them free. what tires are you running stock or wider? that can also have an effect. Are you sure the rack is good. A worn shaft can cause binding through it's turn cycle.

Alignment....you're toe is probably out something drastic!

Can bad alignment really cause the car to behave like I described? It seems a little extreme.

I guess I can try to make my wheels more even or toe in a little and if that solves the problem then I'll know for sure. I can get a proper alignment when the car is a little more driveable.

By the way the car has stock 14" weaves and the rack is brand new so I'm hoping it's not the rack itself.

T.Dot_E30
04-03-2012, 04:50 PM
Can bad alignment really cause the car to behave like I described?

Yes, I wouldn't change a rack without doing an alignment after.

defaultName
04-03-2012, 05:21 PM
Yes, I wouldn't change a rack without doing an alignment after.

I did plan on doing an alignment but I'm kind of scared to drive the car in this condition to go and get one!

I just find it hard to believe that poor alignment can cause this.

Bullet Ride
04-03-2012, 06:15 PM
I'm wondering if this has something to do with your power steering delete...
How much fluid is in there circulating thought?

defaultName
04-03-2012, 07:31 PM
I'm wondering if this has something to do with your power steering delete...
How much fluid is in there circulating thought?

I'm starting to think so too.

The rack came pretty much full of fluid and I didn't drain any aside from whatever spilled out when installing the delete.

The problem is that I can't find a definitive answer on how much should be in there.

I PM'd the guy I bought it from on r3v to ask.

dble Trouble
04-04-2012, 12:16 AM
You would be shocked how much an out of adjustment alignment can cause the car to pull and jerk violently over broken or uneven pavement. That being said, why oh why did you remove your power steering and buy a brand new rack? That just doesn't compute to me? What am I missing Kevin?

E30M42cab
04-09-2012, 12:33 AM
You weren't supposed to drive it until you fixed that toe out! Remember I said "it's toed out, gotta take the wheels off and turn the tie rods in at least two turns each". Yea you do. You really should do that, and remember that the shackles on the tie rods were never tightened either.

defaultName
04-09-2012, 07:04 AM
You weren't supposed to drive it until you fixed that toe out! Remember I said "it's toed out, gotta take the wheels off and turn the tie rods in at least two turns each". Yea you do. You really should do that, and remember that the shackles on the tie rods were never tightened either.

I turned them in two turns each, then tightened the clamps, then drove it, then got scared and parked it.

Then I turned them in two more turns each, drove it and no change at all.

I'm going for an alignment tomorrow and new power steering parts will be ordered just in case it's an issue with the delete.

Ceeker
04-09-2012, 08:34 AM
These cars are quite sensitive - believe it or not; if you are in tune with the car you can feel everything and notice the slightest changes. if after the alignment the condition doesn't change- which I can't imagine it wouldn't. Wait ti'll you get wider rims and tires for it and then see what your car will be doing. :-) the proper way to do the alignment on these car is to have the passenger and drivers side weighted to mimic having yourself and a passenger in the car. Bmw used sand bags when doing the alignment. My bmw tech friend use to toe in the tie rods slightly to make the car more responsive (stock rack of course)

Bullet Ride
04-09-2012, 09:28 AM
My bmw tech friend use to toe in the tie rods slightly to make the car more responsive (stock rack of course)

Toe in actually gives slower steering response, which is why toe in increases straight line stability. Toe out is what gives you quicker steering response.

One way to really check out what's up with your steering Kevin would be to turn in your tie rods so that you know both wheels are for sure toed in. Then your steering should try and maintain the car in a straight line to some degree. It still might pull right or left, but it shouldn't send your steering wheel to full lock.

richie_s999
04-09-2012, 09:54 AM
I had a similar think happen in my e30 when I swapped the rack years ago, mine was binding in the steering knuckle, Try adjusting it, and give it a cleaning and grease. The rubber rag joint makes it a non solid joint to take up play but it it's worn or not sitting properly can also cause binding to come and go.

Hope it helps and the description makes sense

E30M42cab
04-09-2012, 06:48 PM
Nah, the binding was so minimal, it shouldn't matter. We spun the nuckle around several times watching the rubber guibo and it was straight. We did a bang up job on the swap, but I think at this point it's probably a fluid issue. You could hook the PS back up and see if that solves it before buying all new PS bits. I've got a spare belt or two kicking around, Mr. Belt Cutter.

adam325i
04-10-2012, 11:57 AM
If you want to check your toe easy. Just grab a tape measure. With the car on the ground, take a measurement from tire to tire on the front side. *Make sure you use the same spot on each tire.(first tread groove on the inside of each tire) Measure the back side of the tires. Get those within 16th to 8th of an inch. Should be good to drive down to your alignment shop.

Hope that helps. I know a car out of alignment is like holding the reigns of a bucking horse.

desmo
04-10-2012, 06:10 PM
Car looks great out of the garage with the new parts! I took at look at your car a few months back when I bought the plastic bumper set from you (Which also looked great, thanks again)

Looking forward to seeing it in person this summer. Whens the first E30 drive? I did Forks of the Credit ALONE this weekend.

defaultName
04-11-2012, 06:32 AM
You could hook the PS back up and see if that solves it before buying all new PS bits. I've got a spare belt or two kicking around, Mr. Belt Cutter.

Too late, parts are ordered!

I wanted to try deleting the power steering to see how it felt but I'm not sure I like it. Granted this isn't a very good test but it gave me an idea of what it would be like.

I don't think the trade off would be worth it for me.

like holding the reigns of a bucking horse.

This.

I took the car to get an alignment yesterday and I had to fight the car to keep it in my own lane! It was probably a 5 minute drive but I was terrified.

I ended up getting a call from the shop shortly after I dropped it off saying that it was pointless to do the alignment because the tires are completely destroyed.

It's not that they're flat or bald, apparently the tread is separating from the tire and that's a big part of why the car is driving that was (plus the alignment).

I wasn't planning on buying tires right away but I guess I have no choice.

Car looks great out of the garage with the new parts! I took at look at your car a few months back when I bought the plastic bumper set from you (Which also looked great, thanks again)

Looking forward to seeing it in person this summer.

Thanks! I'm glad you like the bumpers, I'm sure the car looks great with them installed.

Whens the first E30 drive?

Paging Scott :D

richie_s999
04-11-2012, 07:19 AM

Looking forward to seeing it in person this summer. Whens the first E30 drive? I did Forks of the Credit ALONE this weekend.

I hope you guy's all cruise out to Mosport on the 28th or 29th of this month and hang out at the Trillium BMW driving school.

adam325i
04-11-2012, 09:59 AM
This.

I took the car to get an alignment yesterday and I had to fight the car to keep it in my own lane! It was probably a 5 minute drive but I was terrified.

I ended up getting a call from the shop shortly after I dropped it off saying that it was pointless to do the alignment because the tires are completely destroyed.

It's not that they're flat or bald, apparently the tread is separating from the tire and that's a big part of why the car is driving that was (plus the alignment).

I wasn't planning on buying tires right away but I guess I have no choice.

Ive had 2 tires that had belts broken. Tire wasn't round. Felt like the balance was off. I guess every little thing adds up.

Hope you find tires and get your alignment done and be silky smooth.

defaultName
04-11-2012, 07:00 PM
Too late, parts are ordered!

...And they arrived!

The trunk on the Schwarz was always full of sand. It was like I was driving around on a beach with the trunk open and I never knew why. Scott pointed out when we were swapping the suspension that I was missing the gaskets so I ordered a couple. No more siliconed rear shock mounts!

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-OQB6qTG3t3g/T4XusOUk5rI/AAAAAAAAAfA/OWvrt2oCJqw/s640/IMG088.jpg

Not sure why they used that size of a box to ship 2 gaskets...

Also picked up some parts to fix and reinstall my power steering.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-4-gRyw1K954/T4Xu5G0oZwI/AAAAAAAAAfY/YZrraSlPDZs/s640/IMG092.jpg

I had to buy a new belt because someone suggested that I just cut mine off :idea:

There is one hose that costs about $200 which I didn't buy. I'm sure that will be the one that was leaking *shiner*

defaultName
04-12-2012, 07:35 PM
Picked up some tires today and mounted them on my weaves. Dunlop Direzza DZ101's.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-FMj86rReL2A/T4dRvtD0T9I/AAAAAAAAAgU/nE3KnaC6-ro/s640/IMG094.jpg

This is the first set of tires I have ever bought! I can't even count how many cars I've owned but I have never bought tires for them. New tires are so nice and they even smell good too.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-OJBvu5JZ0wg/T4dRr32bxKI/AAAAAAAAAgg/TGU9cEtwo0M/s640/IMG096.jpg

I test fitted one of the wheels on the front before I ordered the tires and it just barely rubs on the brake carrier. The wheel still turns but I will need to grind down the carrier a little.

I did some digging on my wheels and it looks like they are made by RW Wheels from Belgium. They went out of business in the early 90's so I can't find much info about them. If anyone knows anything about them I would love to hear it!

My caps have BMW roundels on them but this is how their logo looks...

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-3PcY1YrDsJc/T1_BmiQukaI/AAAAAAAAAgo/F9LnoDLXBcs/s640/IMG052.jpg

I wish I had time to refinish them before I mounted the tires but I am short on time :(

defaultName
04-12-2012, 10:03 PM
I will need to grind down the carrier a little.

...Okay so it turns out it's a little more then a little.

SamE30e
04-12-2012, 10:10 PM
See. I told you to get the P/S parts.

defaultName
04-14-2012, 07:13 AM
See. I told you to get the P/S parts.

*shiner*

defaultName
04-14-2012, 05:16 PM
I will need to grind down the carrier a little.

...Okay so it turns out it's a little more then a little.

...Okay so they did just need to be ground down a little, I was just grinding the wrong area.

Pics soon.

defaultName
04-14-2012, 06:28 PM
Overall I'm happy with the result. They don't stand out as much as I thought they would considering the offset.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-dTK0XelP2gs/T4n1SLZRJ4I/AAAAAAAAAgs/G1FKCEkHS5s/s640/IMG098.jpg

The rear wheels could definitely use some spacers!

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-193G6nOw_Zc/T4n1VXh2tfI/AAAAAAAAAg8/8-jpeklfn_g/s640/IMG099.jpg

I think the kit makes the wheels look a little more sunk in then they actually are. M Tech II kits have a similar effect.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-SbtIIOTrfvw/T4n1kO3DcBI/AAAAAAAAAhU/5gF3N1k4Uh8/s640/IMG102.jpg

defaultName
04-21-2012, 07:15 AM
My car desperately needed an alignment and considering how bad it was there was no way I was going to drive it since I put new tires on it.

So...

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-4IWVuf7EtU4/T5KNYW5EjTI/AAAAAAAAAh8/kmO98kXf6lI/s640/IMG104.jpg

Got bored following the tow truck.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Bn4ggrJSB3M/T5KNXuAyUVI/AAAAAAAAAis/geHVVDeswW8/s640/IMG105.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-NLsDK4eKmzo/T5KNgTRlskI/AAAAAAAAAig/vRshSDoZ-Ks/s640/IMG106.jpg

But did the alignment fix the problem??? (drumroll please)

F*CK YEAH ! ! ! The car drives straight and doesn't pull side to side! *rockout* I can't believe that all of that was caused by a bad alignment... Lesson learned I guess.

Also since I have actually driven the car a bit now I can say that no power steering isn't toooo bad. When I'm stopped I can barely move the wheel, and it's very stiff when going slow, but since I won't be parallel parking daily or anything I think I can live with it for a while.

As for the Z3 rack it does feel quicker. Or I should say it doesn't feel as slow as a stock E30. I think I haven't felt a big difference in quickness because of 2 reasons. I haven't driven a stock E30 in a while so I probably forgot a little how slow the steering was. And for the last 2 months I've been driving a newer Kia which has zero steering feel, but it does have very quick steering. I'm sure someone driving an E30 with a stock rack and my car back to back would feel more of a difference then I did.

lost
04-21-2012, 08:21 AM
Schweet! That's awesome.

defaultName
05-17-2012, 06:48 PM
At work...

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-6KJ9hfVgqys/T6raTbX-QOI/AAAAAAAAAnQ/529aDN0p43c/s640/IMG110.jpg

Woofer
05-18-2012, 12:58 PM
Looks like your car is busy doing a lot of paper work eh? Hahaha

Nice. Keep up the good work.

Bullet Ride
05-18-2012, 01:08 PM
Sooooo..... are you running it at DDT this weekend?

E30M42cab
05-18-2012, 03:56 PM
Steve, I think you and John and I will be the only e30's there this weekend. A damn shame.

defaultName
05-25-2012, 04:15 PM
Looks like your car is busy doing a lot of paper work eh? Hahaha

Pushin' paper. Fun times!

Sooooo..... are you running it at DDT this weekend?

Steve, I think you and John and I will be the only e30's there this weekend. A damn shame.

I couldn't even make it out to spectate! *mumble*

Looks like I missed another good event.

defaultName
05-26-2012, 12:16 PM
I've been daily driving my E30 for a little over a month now and have noticed a few things that need addressing.

My driver side rear Bilstein is leaking. It was actually leaking before I even put it on the car and since I don't see a puddle under my car anymore I can pretty much assume that there isn't anything left to leak.

I tried to have it replaced under their "lifetime warranty" but Turner Motorsport were no help at all so I won't be buying from them again. But thanks to some info from Mike (DIY) I should be able to get a replacement from Bilstein directly.

When I go over bumps the car seems to shudder or vibrate. That's really the best way to describe it. I drive over the same bumps every day and I've noticed that when the front wheels go over them the car is fine, but when the back wheels go over then that's when it happens.

I'm pretty sure this is caused by the bad shock but if someone else has any ideas then let me know.

My muffler is being supported right now by some sort of metal strap, so every time it moves it makes a really loud metal on metal scraping sound.

I'm not sure if this strap even needs to be there so I may just remove it and see if there is a lot of play in the exhaust without it. I think it's there to hold the exhaust tip away from the rear valance because it is a little close to touching. This isn't the only thing supporting the muffler so it may be okay to remove.

I was planning on replacing the valve cover gasket as well as the timing chain cover gasket and timing chain tensioner. The TC rattles a little and the TC cover either is leaking a little or was leaking and was patched up.

The valve cover gasket is pretty straight forward except that I'm not sure about the spark plug gaskets? On Real OEM it looks like 3 are the same and 1 is different?

I thought replacing the TC cover gaskets would be fairly easy but Scott pointed out that it is a little more involved then it looks. I think I need to get an E36 service manual since they cover M42 engines and the E30 one doesn't. Then I can read a little more about it.

And finally something seems a little off with my steering rack. I'm not sure what exactly but it just doesn't feel right. I'm going to take a look tomorrow and make sure nothing has come loose since it was installed and then maybe I'll work on reinstalling my power steering. I really hasn't been bad without it but if having it will fix the weird feeling I'm getting then I'll be happier with it.

But now comes the fun part; shopping for parts *par-t*

defaultName
07-07-2012, 09:21 AM
Small updates...

My driver side rear Bilstein is leaking.I should be able to get a replacement from Bilstein directly.

A replacement is on it's way finally. Hopefully when I send my old one back Bilstein actually covers it under warranty. I'm sure they'll find some way out of it...

My muffler is being supported right now by some sort of metal strap, so every time it moves it makes a really loud metal on metal scraping sound.

I removed the strap that was supporting my muffler but the sound is still there. Apparently that sound is the sound a shock makes when it is completely drained of fluid.

Now my muffler is banging around and vibrating.

I didn't want to put the metal strap back because it was destroying my muffler... Plus I snapped it getting it off. Zip ties will suffice for now.

something seems a little off with my steering rack.

I took a closer look and my steering knuckle had a bit of play in it. I tightened both of the nuts and it's perfect now. I'll check it from time to time to make sure it doesn't loosen up.

And finally I'm getting tired of driving around with a semi...

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-j6Y2ja3vAIA/T_bvHlXcXMI/AAAAAAAAAwM/4k79vDxo2i8/s640/IMG142.jpg

Semi erect antenna that is. Won't go up, won't go down, can't find a manual antenna, so I'll probably just get rid of it.

Plus who needs music when you have all of the sweet sounds my car is making?!?!

MaxBell
07-08-2012, 12:34 PM
Radio these days is garbage. Just get a nice deck and an iPod or iPhone.

Woofer
07-10-2012, 12:54 PM
I really like the way that pfeba kit sits on a white e30. Looks better than mine did and I had it on a darker color e30.

Looks good man!

defaultName
07-22-2012, 03:24 PM
My new shock arrived from Bilstein last week.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-RakOUO5883E/UAs8MyTbfSI/AAAAAAAAAx0/U2ZBZhkFeHU/s640/IMG149.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-nOZT-uE3Lwo/UAs8aY2-snI/AAAAAAAAAyE/wYti1Nx7JQ8/s640/IMG154.jpg

I'm not sure exactly what is with me and and RSM issues. I got the shock removed without any issues but the RSM was stuck on. It would spin freely but not move up or down.

I eventually got it off, installed the new shock and now my car finally rides like it should. The old one was so bad that I could compress it with my hands! I'll be sending it back to Bilstein to be hopefully covered under warranty. My fingers are crossed but I'm not holding my breath...

There is still a noise coming from the rear occasionally but it happens a lot less now.

I took a pic of my odometer the day it was installed. I had issues after only driving a few thousand kilometers so I wanted proof of the mileage just in case.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-pS0bFN2VbHs/UAs8dDyUoqI/AAAAAAAAAyA/l9POV3rxjLw/s640/IMG157.jpg

defaultName
09-07-2012, 10:38 AM
I'm sort of stuck on where I should take this project next.

This car (like all of my other E30's) has been my daily driver so I was always limited in what I could do to it. I could never have it off the road for too long because I needed it to get to work.

However I now work from home. That could change in the future and possibly as early as spring. But the car will be off insurance and parked for this winter at least.

I obviously want to take advantage of this opportunity to do something that normally would be impossible for a daily driven car. Unfortunately I'm limited by a budget of about $2,000 so a "restoration" is out of the question.

I figure with that budget I could either focus on the body or on the mechanicals, but not both. And this is where I get stuck.

Mechanically the car is fine. Everything works (that I care about) and suspension and brakes are basically brand new. Steering rack, tires, control arms, and CAB's are new too. I do need new sway bar bushings so I could get an upgraded sway bar kit but that's not really a big deal. And my shifter is sloppier then [insert joke here] but again correcting that is a weekend project at best.

The body on the car is pretty good too. There are typical dings and scratches. Some areas have been repainted (poorly) but it looks good from 10 feet. I checked my floors when I dyed my carpet a few weeks ago and there is no rust at all. Trunk is solid too. So aside from a really nice paint job (which I can't afford) and correcting all of the issues with the body there isn't much to do.

So what would you do if you were in my position? Is there something I should be considering that I'm missing?

A few things to note as well. I don't care about horsepower. I'm not really interested in swaps or turbos and I would like to increase the value of the car if I can.

Any advice or ideas would be appreciated!

Bullet Ride
09-07-2012, 11:25 AM
Go to the casino...$2k bet....double or nothing.
$4k= really nice paint job
$0k= no need to worry about what to do to your car because you have no money

defaultName
09-07-2012, 12:41 PM
Go to the casino...$2k bet....double or nothing.
$4k= really nice paint job
$0k= no need to worry about what to do to your car because you have no money

Haha! Reminds me of this...

http://d22zlbw5ff7yk5.cloudfront.net/images/stash-1-4fd2ab8d62c28.jpeg

Any more ideas?

jasonbaek
09-07-2012, 09:53 PM
Hey steve, this is chang. I think you should start thoroughly cleaning up that beauty inside and out. Take out front seats and steam clean the carpet, clean the headliner, clean nooks and crannies of interior trims/dashboard, take out all the oil residue from the engine bay, sand down the body kits and fix cracks/dents you might have. Alpine white is easier to overspray/blend but I guess you can think about that later.

My schedule is pretty empty after the school/work so you can hit me up on weekend and i'll be more than happy to help cleaning it up(i'm noob at working on cars but I'm good at cleaning it up lol). Just pm me

defaultName
09-08-2012, 08:59 AM
Hey steve, this is chang. I think you should start thoroughly cleaning up that beauty inside and out. Take out front seats and steam clean the carpet, clean the headliner, clean nooks and crannies of interior trims/dashboard, take out all the oil residue from the engine bay, sand down the body kits and fix cracks/dents you might have. Alpine white is easier to overspray/blend but I guess you can think about that later.

My schedule is pretty empty after the school/work so you can hit me up on weekend and i'll be more than happy to help cleaning it up(i'm noob at working on cars but I'm good at cleaning it up lol). Just pm me

A thorough cleaning will definitely happen! Mostly in the engine bay since I will have time to actually remove parts to clean them and clean around them. I would like to redo my valve cover and manifold too.

I will let you know when the cleaning begins. Bring a tooth brush! *uzi*

By the way my name's Kevin :D

Woofer
09-13-2012, 07:09 PM
Looks like u got spotted! Lol

Looks clean man!

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/09/14/y7a9apyq.jpg

defaultName
09-14-2012, 08:44 AM
Woot!

As I was leaving Berlin Klassik I saw some guys across the street taking pictures so I'm happy I got to see it.

The show wasn't bad but I got there pretty late. It looks like a lot of cars were already gone when I got there.

DIY
09-14-2012, 11:51 AM
I'm sort of stuck on where I should take this project next.

Mechanically the car is fine. Everything works (that I care about) and suspension and brakes are basically brand new. Steering rack, tires, control arms, and CAB's are new too. I do need new sway bar bushings so I could get an upgraded sway bar kit but that's not really a big deal. And my shifter is sloppier then [insert joke here] but again correcting that is a weekend project at best.

The body on the car is pretty good too. There are typical dings and scratches. Some areas have been repainted (poorly) but it looks good from 10 feet. I checked my floors when I dyed my carpet a few weeks ago and there is no rust at all. Trunk is solid too. So aside from a really nice paint job (which I can't afford) and correcting all of the issues with the body there isn't much to do.

So what would you do if you were in my position? Is there something I should be considering that I'm missing?

So what your saying is your car will pass tech?
You can work on using all those new parts!!
Helmet --> $400

Driving school 3 times next summer-->$ 1500
http://trillium-bmwclub.ca/content/advanced-driver-training
:idea: :D

richie_s999
09-14-2012, 11:56 AM
So what your saying is your car will pass tech?
You can work on using all those new parts!!
Helmet --> $400

Driving school 3 times next summer-->$ 1500
http://trillium-bmwclub.ca/content/advanced-driver-training
:idea: :D

-150 per school for tax refund!

defaultName
10-17-2012, 12:30 PM
After the E30 cruise this weekend my car was totally filthy. The weather was pretty nice yesterday so I gave it wash and took some fall pictures. Probably the last bath before it's put away...

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-nWMA8125h4I/UH7bAKFju8I/AAAAAAAAA1g/4_lbx8brCQo/s640/DSC_0016.jpg

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-BN7iEfoK5EE/UH7ak06ssyI/AAAAAAAAA1g/uq97CZPy4qg/s640/DSC_0018.jpg

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-9PPe4bUZnPk/UH7azTeWmcI/AAAAAAAAA1g/LV8Bub5YgXc/s640/DSC_0019.jpg

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-OBg9vYJZ940/UH7a2nJFMvI/AAAAAAAAA1g/yQfEbb8_YcE/s640/DSC_0025.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-Lt3LRt2OtZE/UH7hB5QPR2I/AAAAAAAAA2A/TSixiFD-q9s/s640/DSC_0020.jpg

And the before...

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-zO4FeiSWv1Y/UH7hCbOiFjI/AAAAAAAAA2A/BcG86lN--Uw/s640/DSC_0015.jpg

E30M42cab
10-18-2012, 05:58 PM
Missed a spot

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-Lt3LRt2OtZE/UH7hB5QPR2I/AAAAAAAAA2A/TSixiFD-q9s/s640/DSC_0020.jpg

defaultName
10-20-2012, 07:22 AM
That's a leaf!