PDA

View Full Version : e36 M3 up for sale at the auctions.

motion
03-08-2012, 10:56 AM
Just a heads up to anyone looking for an e36 m3 sedan. One is comming up at Impact auto in stoufville.

http://impactauto.ca/runList?act=conditionReport&stockNumber=XBK61&rowpos=&act=search&rowpos=0&siteCode=STOC

looks to be really clean bodywise minus the light damage. nothing a new radsupport and some sweet ellipsoid's cant fix.

E30 Girl
03-08-2012, 11:18 AM
Looks like a lot more then just light damage...lol

noodles101
03-08-2012, 11:31 AM
yea it looks like a pickup truck revered into it or the car rammed into a 18 wheeler truck , if your lucky you might jsut need new hood , rad support, rad.

LOL m3 bumper survived

JINT
03-08-2012, 01:49 PM
how come they don't write the starting bid price?

T.Dot_E30
03-08-2012, 01:55 PM
Looks fixable.

Too bad it has a salvage title. It would have to sell for less than $4k to make it worthwhile IMO.

noodles101
03-08-2012, 01:58 PM
does salvage title mean ..if you fix it up..and u wanna sell it later.. ppl r gunna be .Nuh uhHH NO no NO.?*no-no*

T.Dot_E30
03-08-2012, 02:07 PM
does salvage title mean ..if you fix it up..and u wanna sell it later.. ppl r gunna be .Nuh uhHH NO no NO.?*no-no*

Pretty much, also means that in order for you to be able to put plates on, it needs to get inspected before the title gets changed to rebuilt. That usually means the value of it will take a hit if you ever tried to sell it.

propr'one
03-08-2012, 02:25 PM
This is why you dont lower your car.

SiR
03-08-2012, 03:56 PM

fcplm

bmw.ae
03-08-2012, 05:03 PM
mmm, crunchy

T.Dot_E30
03-08-2012, 05:11 PM

Says the guy that has (had?) a slammed e36.*wave*

Hard to tell, but it didn't look like it was lowered that much. Might even be stock height.

motion
03-08-2012, 05:50 PM
i saw the car at impact already.
needs a rad support (bolt on), radiator, hood, fan shroud (reusable), new fan blade and nose panel and grilles. no frame damage. fenders etc are all intact.

propr'one
03-08-2012, 06:31 PM
Says the guy that has (had?) a slammed e36.*wave*

bro you know i NEVER follow my own advice. I did raise the car back up though (but not because i was worried about the bumper being pointless so low to the ground)

E36 is sold, i daily the M roadster.

KIRASIR
03-08-2012, 06:58 PM
...no frame damage...

Highly unlikely. The bags didn't pop so something had to trigger the SALVAGE title. Most likely the upper frame rails are slightly bent along with the fenders which you may not be able to see without measuring or putting a new hood on. Either way it would be a shame to see this car being parted out. Hopefully, whoever picks it up ends up restoring it.

BTW Impact is known to "throw the keys away" when there is engine damage or mileage is too high, so a buyer of this car might be in for a surprise...

T.Dot_E30
03-08-2012, 07:12 PM
Highly unlikely. The bags didn't pop so something had to trigger the SALVAGE title. Most likely the upper frame rails are slightly bent along with the fenders which you may not be able to see without measuring or putting a new hood on. Either way it would be a shame to see this car being parted out. Hopefully, whoever picks it up ends up restoring it.

BTW Impact is known to "throw the keys away" when there is engine damage or mileage is too high, so a buyer of this car might be in for a surprise...

Not really, you can clearly see the damage is above the frame rails. If anything would be damaged it's the strut towers getting tweaked not the frame rails. The only thing that probably triggered the salvage is that the cost to repair was greater than the value of the car. (Insurance companies value these cars much less than their replacement cost.)

Also the ad states there are no keys, but with an ownership BMW can get you a new set.

More than likely it will get parted out, as it's probably worth more in parts...

KIRASIR
03-08-2012, 07:33 PM
Not really, you can clearly see the damage is above the frame rails. If anything would be damaged it's the strut towers getting tweaked not the frame rails. The only thing that probably triggered the salvage is that the cost to repair was greater than the value of the car. (Insurance companies value these cars much less than their replacement cost.)

Also the ad states there are no keys, but with an ownership BMW can get you a new set.

More than likely it will get parted out, as it's probably worth more in parts...

I was talking about the UPPER frame rails which support the fenders and the strut towers, not the main "lower frame rails" that hold the subframe and rebar.

If the cost to repair is greater than ~50-60% of the value of the vehicle and there is no structural damage - the car usually gets written off as "Total Loss" with a clean title. Cost of repair by itself does not trigger a salvage title, I've seen rolled over cars where all the body panels were damaged, interiors had water damage, and windows missing, yet these cars had perfectly clean title and were sold at a primium on the auctions...

propr'one
03-08-2012, 07:44 PM
^^since when does cost to repair not trigger a salvage title? AFAIK that's exactly what deems it salvage.

Blackedout95
03-08-2012, 07:49 PM
A shame but that's life.

T.Dot_E30
03-08-2012, 07:54 PM
I was talking about the UPPER frame rails which support the fenders and the strut towers, not the main "lower frame rails" that hold the subframe and rebar.

Did you not see that the fenders are basically untouched? The fenders would have to be mangled to touch that area.

If the cost to repair is greater than ~50-60% of the value of the vehicle and there is no structural damage - the car usually gets written off as "Total Loss" with a clean title. Cost of repair by itself does not trigger a salvage title, I've seen rolled over cars where all the body panels were damaged, interiors had water damage, and windows missing, yet these cars had perfectly clean title and were sold at a primium on the auctions...

If it still had a clean title the means it wasn't reported to insurance.
While that may have been possible 10 years ago, that is no longer the case. As of 2003, vehicles in Ontario are 'Branded' any time there is a total loss.

Insurance companies, auto recyclers, salvagers, auctioneers, dealers and individual vehicle owners must assign a brand type to vehicles that have been damaged to the point of total loss and meet this branding criteria. These vehicles must be reported to the Ministry of Transportation (MTO).
http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/vehicle/branding/mandatory.shtml

Eurostyle
03-08-2012, 11:20 PM
^^since when does cost to repair not trigger a salvage title? AFAIK that's exactly what deems it salvage.

It has nothing to do with cost. Its whatever they feel like...With a few exceptions, that dont have to be followed by the book anyways...*wave*

Eurostyle
03-08-2012, 11:24 PM

You missed the point; a car with high Km or blown/not working well engine/trany will sell for WAY more if the keys go "missing" and milage is "Unknown" and engine is "not starting" because of missing keys!
Anyone can get the keys after they get it...

Eurostyle
03-08-2012, 11:29 PM
Did you not see that the fenders are basically untouched? The fenders would have to be mangled to touch that area.

If it still had a clean title the means it wasn't reported to insurance.
While that may have been possible 10 years ago, that is no longer the case. As of 2003, vehicles in Ontario are 'Branded' any time there is a total loss.

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/vehicle/branding/mandatory.shtml

Are you joking!?
You can have a CLEAN title totall loss car any time of day! If you dont think so i can show you a few (hundred!) All reported to insurance....*wave*

motion
03-09-2012, 12:15 AM
this car does have keys and the milage on it is just about 190k.
the posting sometimes dont reflect the cars acurately.

the only reason i know is cuz i saw the keys and the milage when the car was started only thing wrong with it was the fan blade smashing around.

richie_s999
03-09-2012, 01:18 AM
Weird, last auction they had a black 4 dr m3 e36 with front end damage which sold for $3000ish. Your looking at $5000 to fix so these are not worth rebuilding

KIRASIR
03-09-2012, 01:23 AM
Weird, last auction they had a black 4 dr m3 e36 with front end damage which sold for $3000ish. Your looking at $5000 to fix so these are not worth rebuilding

So that's pretty much 4k with taxes and auction fees for a salvage 14year old car...Ouch..

richie_s999
03-09-2012, 07:04 AM
And the only way to get a good price at an auction is to not tell the world about it.

propr'one
03-09-2012, 01:04 PM
Are you joking!?
You can have a CLEAN title totall loss car any time of day! If you dont think so i can show you a few (hundred!) All reported to insurance....*wave*

Yeah, please, i'd love to see that.

motion
03-09-2012, 01:29 PM
Yeah, please, i'd love to see that.

eurostyle is correct.

look at impactauto.ca for example. all they do is writeoff auctions and alot of the cars are NOT branded CLEAN title.

motion
03-09-2012, 01:29 PM

yea i seen that too.

Steve30
03-09-2012, 01:33 PM
PJC is selling their M3. http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-1997-BMW-M3-W0QQAdIdZ359546647

I've driven by their shop a few times while it was parked outside. Looked to be in good shape. I'm just wondering why its so cheap.. somebody go take a look!

propr'one
03-09-2012, 01:42 PM
eurostyle is correct.

look at impactauto.ca for example. all they do is writeoff auctions and alot of the cars are NOT branded CLEAN title.

lol. I've known fil for a long time, and have seen the written off cars parts. I dont doubt what he's saying is true. I'd like to see what the paperwork looks like though, as this basically means you can buy a written off car with a clean title and no history.

plus, almost all of the cars on impactauto.ca are salvage branded.

JINT
03-09-2012, 07:55 PM
PJC is selling their M3. http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-1997-BMW-M3-W0QQAdIdZ359546647

I've driven by their shop a few times while it was parked outside. Looked to be in good shape. I'm just wondering why its so cheap.. somebody go take a look!

yeah i was looking at that M3 for a week now, anyone seen this in person?

Eurostyle
03-09-2012, 09:43 PM
lol. I've known fil for a long time, and have seen the written off cars parts. I dont doubt what he's saying is true. I'd like to see what the paperwork looks like though, as this basically means you can buy a written off car with a clean title and no history.

plus, almost all of the cars on impactauto.ca are salvage branded.

I can tell you, but you would not want to buy a used car ever again! lol
But seriously, "branding" is a joke...its all to the indiviual insurance upraiser/adjuster to decide the brand given to a vechicle, and some of them dont even submit the papers so they end up "clean".

I have seen cars burned down to a shell with "clean" title, and some perfect cars irripairable...For example;

Description : 2011 FORD EDGE SPORT AWD
Color : SILVER
VIN : 2FMDK4AK3BB
ACV : $39,975 CAD
Repair Cost : $1,424 CAD
Title Type : PERMIT IRREPAIRABLE

Description : 1998 TOYOTA 4RUNNER LTD
Color : GRAY
VIN : JT3HN87R9W9
ACV : $5,080 CAD
Repair Cost : $11,600 CAD
Title Type : PERMIT NO BRAND - UNFIT
Primary Damage : ROLLOVER

Description : 2009 AUDI Q5 3.2
Color : BLACK
VIN : WA1KK68R69A
ACV : $45,985 CAD
Repair Cost : $19,973 CAD
Title Type : PERMIT NO BRAND - UNFIT

5style
03-09-2012, 10:58 PM
if that m3 goes for 3-4 k, its a steal. $150 hood, 120$ rad support, 120$ nose panel, etc etc, TONS of cars being parted out and people NEED to move parts.
Id say 600$ or less and its running again, sucks about the title tho

richie_s999
03-10-2012, 07:12 AM
if that m3 goes for 3-4 k, its a steal. $150 hood, 120$ rad support, 120$ nose panel, etc etc, TONS of cars being parted out and people NEED to move parts.
Id say 600$ or less and its running again, sucks about the title tho

go for it then, cause no way $600 will get that on the road.

5style
03-10-2012, 09:40 AM
go for it then, cause no way $600 will get that on the road.

How do you figure? If i need to, I can even cannibalize my beater and get it running for next to free. Fenders intact, Frame rails intact, nothing else matters.

I happen to disassemble e36s too, and this is a piece of cake

richie_s999
03-10-2012, 10:20 AM
How do you figure? If i need to, I can even cannibalize my beater and get it running for next to free. Fenders intact, Frame rails intact, nothing else matters.

I am not knocking your mechanical skills but if you think you can spend $600 on top of the $4000 plus to get this car and have it on the road go for it.

the rads wrapped on the motor, so small stuff is gonna add up, your looking at $1500 to $2500 in parts, or take parts from your other car which then makes it worthless, even if you cheap out and spend 20 hours of your own time you wouldn't be able to sell the car for more then $5000.

its not a deal, too many people see stars and $$ when they look at this, but if you think you can do it, go for it.

bmwm5lover
03-10-2012, 10:42 AM
I wouldn't pay more than 1500-2K for the M3, and only because it is a 4 door ( only e36 M3 I would want).

KIRASIR
03-10-2012, 10:57 AM

$600?! What about body work and paint? Structural inspection, safety and emission certs? Btw you are also going to need a proper work order/invoice and pay HST on top of that to get the structural certificate. The body work must also be proven with pictures b4 and after the work is done in order to change the title from salvage to rebuilt, and the guy doing the structural inspection must show to MTO that work was done according to the original insurance apraisal (you are going to need more reciepts and VIN #'s of donor cars, etc.)

Also most of the parts from your beater wont fit since they need to be from 96+ and 4dr.

So $600? Good luck.

1bmw1
03-10-2012, 11:37 AM
$600?! What about body work and paint? Structural inspection, safety and emission certs? Btw you are also going to need a proper work order/invoice and pay HST on top of that to get the structural certificate. The body work must also be proven with pictures b4 and after the work is done in order to change the title from salvage to rebuilt, and the guy doing the structural inspection must show to MTO that work was done according to the original insurance apraisal (you are going to need more reciepts and VIN #'s of donor cars, etc.)

Also most of the parts from your beater wont fit since they need to be from 96+ and 4dr.

So $600? Good luck.

That "$600" price is off by a long shot.

5style
03-10-2012, 11:37 AM

Not exactly

BmW1819
03-10-2012, 12:50 PM
Am gonna put an offer in ;-) says no keys tho add 100

v_bimmer
03-10-2012, 05:21 PM
Not exactly

Do you know how much the inspection costs? Get your facts straight, seems like you don't know much, except for Kony fcplm

1bmw1
03-10-2012, 06:24 PM
seems like you don't know much, except for Kony fcplm

lol +1. Please stop spitting out things that you feel are factual. We are all here to discuss and hopefully learn a thing or two, but that means you need to have an open mind. Don't need to feel obligated to teach someone if you're not even sure about something to begin with.

motion
03-11-2012, 04:17 AM
quick breakdown.

Standard autowreckers has complete e36's in the upic it yard.

hood 50 bucks
radsupport 25 bucks
fenders 35 per piece (not needed)
rebar 20
rebar absorber shock 10 each
rad 60
rad shroud 20
fan blade 20
coolant bottle 15
headlights 35 each
filler panel 40
bumper 35 (not needed)
misc items add another 200

paint and bodywork 500 (paint hood and blend fenders and bumper, install radsupport)

salvage certificate 250.00 at unity auto in scarborough
safety 60 bucks
etest 39.50

towing fee add another 200 bucks (in total)

all of the above is assuming you dont have skills on how to do it yourself minus the towing and safetys.

if you have a donor car then all the parts are free all you have to do is write a letter stating the vin of the donor car and the owners name with a valid signature.

richie_s999
03-11-2012, 06:12 PM
Again people making it sound like its a walk in the park and cheap to do these things, most people can't do this, this thread should be deleted or shut down its full of "Internet truths"

Junaid
03-12-2012, 12:50 AM
Again people making it sound like its a walk in the park and cheap to do these things, most people can't do this, this thread should be deleted or shut down its full of "Internet truths"

Why should it be shut down or deleted? Its pretty easy for this kind of repair. My brother and I just put a car together. The only thing left is painting the hood and trim under the headlights. We spent $500 on parts, $300 on Structural, $60 on safety.

It's insured and on the road.

98bimmer
03-12-2012, 01:01 AM
Yup and its 2001 330i, e46, meaning parts are double the price. That includes rad, rad support, and both OEM XENON headlights. Its possible.

egye30
03-12-2012, 04:00 AM
The most i could see somebody paying for this is 3 gs, and the best thing to do with it would be part it.. engine and drivetrain complete from motor to diff will get you anywhere from 2000-3000.. m3 bumper for a couple hundred, m3 mirrors for a couple hundred, interior for 400-500 etc... either that or get it, gut it, sell all the interior bits and what not then fix it, cage it, and track car it.. lol

5style
03-12-2012, 06:43 AM
Do you know how much the inspection costs? Get your facts straight, seems like you don't know much, except for Kony fcplm

Looks like you need to get your facts straight. I should pull your ebay sob story into this, but I am not going to. fcplm

lol +1. Please stop spitting out things that you feel are factual. We are all here to discuss and hopefully learn a thing or two, but that means you need to have an open mind. Don't need to feel obligated to teach someone if you're not even sure about something to begin with.

No point in arguing with you, since you have zero experience rebuilding cars ( I've rebuilt 6 already , albeit non bmws, albeit all under 4 years of age) See below , your majesty, I didn't make the prices up, thats not my quote, and some people already have most of these parts laying around.

PS , Don't need to feel obligated to post period.

quick breakdown.

hood 50 bucks
radsupport 25 bucks
rebar 20
rad 60
rad shroud 20
fan blade 20
coolant bottle 15
headlights 35 each
filler panel 40
bumper 35 (not needed)

paint and bodywork 500 (paint hood and blend fenders and bumper, install radsupport)

safety 60 bucks
etest 39.50

all of the above is assuming you dont have skills on how to do it yourself minus the towing and safetys.

if you have a donor car then all the parts are free all you have to do is write a letter stating the vin of the donor car and the owners name with a valid signature.

Lastly, that poor car is going to go for over 3k, since this is Canada and our prices do not match those in the US for salvage let alone clean titles.

I would comfortably say 5k, which makes this not such a good deal.

5style
03-12-2012, 07:01 AM

Why should it be shut down and deleted? No one who can't do this on their own is going to buy a salvage car, not sure how stupid you think people are.

5style
03-12-2012, 07:18 AM
Inspiration to those who have some time and are capable. This car was even worse off, motor and tranny ripped off mounts and hit firewall.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1800683

http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj593/vincedahl/1.jpg
http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj593/vincedahl/2.jpg
http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj593/vincedahl/3.jpg
http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj593/vincedahl/4.jpg
http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj593/vincedahl/5.jpg
http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj593/vincedahl/6.jpg
http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj593/vincedahl/7.jpg
http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj593/vincedahl/9.jpg
http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj593/vincedahl/8.jpg
http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj593/vincedahl/10.jpg

5style
03-12-2012, 07:22 AM
http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj593/vincedahl/11.jpg
http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj593/vincedahl/12.jpg
http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj593/vincedahl/13.jpg
http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj593/vincedahl/14.jpg
http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj593/vincedahl/15.jpg
http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj593/vincedahl/16.jpg
http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj593/vincedahl/17.jpg
http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj593/vincedahl/18.jpg
http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj593/vincedahl/19.jpg
http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj593/vincedahl/20.jpg

5style
03-12-2012, 07:23 AM
http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj593/vincedahl/21.jpg
http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj593/vincedahl/23.jpg
http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj593/vincedahl/22.jpg
http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj593/vincedahl/24.jpg
http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj593/vincedahl/25.jpg
http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj593/vincedahl/26.jpg
http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj593/vincedahl/27.jpg
http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj593/vincedahl/28.jpg
http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj593/vincedahl/29.jpg

richie_s999
03-12-2012, 08:44 AM
ROFL do you see the tools and equipment in that shop, maybe the stripped down bikes, thats not your average at home garage or shop.

Do you see that pile of parts???? looks like over $600 in parts don't it?

the one a few weeks ago with similar hit, a black 4dr e36 M3 sold for $2900, plus tax, plus auction fee's plus transportation. That's about $4000 at your door

now $600 is not going to cut it for parts, your looking at $2000 to be fair, and lets toss ing all the other fee's for paper work you'll need

so lets say $6000, with out counting the 30to 60 hours depending on ones skill (not everyone can do this work,)

so thats $1500 to $3000 of your time at $50 an hour

of shit now what else could the car need for safety, you better float $1000 in case it needs other stuff

so your in $7000 plus your time

your workmanship better be above par cause your chances of selling this for anything close to invested cash is about ZERO

some one go ahead and prove me wrong, buy this things and lets see what it costs and what you can sell it for.

5style
03-12-2012, 08:46 AM
ROFL do you see the tools and equipment in that shop, maybe the stripped down bikes, thats not your average at home garage or shop.

Do you see that pile of parts???? looks like over $600 in parts don't it?

the one a few weeks ago with similar hit, a black 4dr e36 M3 sold for $2900, plus tax, plus auction fee's plus transportation. That's about $4000 at your door

now $600 is not going to cut it for parts, your looking at $2000 to be fair, and lets toss ing all the other fee's for paper work you'll need

so lets say $6000, with out counting the 30to 60 hours depending on ones skill (not everyone can do this work,)

so thats $1500 to $3000 of your time at $50 an hour

of shit now what else could the car need for safety, you better float $1000 in case it needs other stuff

so your in $7000 plus your time

your workmanship better be above par cause your chances of selling this for anything close to invested cash is about ZERO

some one go ahead and prove me wrong, buy this things and lets see what it costs and what you can sell it for.

What the hell is wrong with you? If I were to buy this , it will be to rebuild and drive it, it has a SALVAGE title. Who the hell buys a salvage title to resell? My time is my time and I ll spend it as I want. Man....

"not a average garage" are you kidding? Please tell me your kidding. Again, NO ONE WHO DOES NOT HAVE THE SKILL OR TIME WILL BUY THIS CAR. The person who buys it will NOT take it to the dealer or a shop , and if they do they are a MORON who will spend your "2K++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++" on repair costs to a car with a SALVAGE TITLE.

If i wanted to get a car to rebuild and resell, I would go to a insurance auction with a friend who has a dealer license and get a clean title for 2k or less. This auction is for those with weekend time and want a nice car for fairly cheap COMPARED TO CANADIAN RETAIL, and don't have contacts to those who go buy wrecks FOR A LIVING, you know, private insurance auctions like copart open only to DEALERS.

Again, where in the hell are you getting $2000? Seriously. Read the thread on bimmerforums. If you are not skilled enough to take on a project like this, or you don't have the time, or whatever your situation is, which is none of my concern AT ALL, that is solely YOUR problem.

richie_s999
03-12-2012, 08:54 AM
What the hell is wrong with you? If I were to buy this , it will be to rebuild and drive it, it has a SALVAGE title.

nothing is wrong with me? Is this grade school? its called being real, your not going to do it, so why are you pushing your point that you could.

I'd buy it and strip it and sell the parts, or if I was building a track car where I would be dumping money into it knowing I am never gonna get it back then its worth it.

anyone who rebuilds a car like this is going to be thinking of return on investment, they may drive it for a while but eventually your going to sell it and when clean title cars are selling for what you have put into it, and yours is worth half as much and you loose thousands this is a bad idea.

richie_s999
03-12-2012, 08:58 AM
What the hell is wrong with you? If I were to buy this , it will be to rebuild and drive it, it has a SALVAGE title. Who the hell buys a salvage title to resell? My time is my time and I ll spend it as I want. Man....

"not a average garage" are you kidding? Please tell me your kidding. Again, NO ONE WHO DOES NOT HAVE THE SKILL OR TIME WILL BUY THIS CAR. The person who buys it will NOT take it to the dealer or a shop , and if they do they are a MORON who will spend your "2K" on repair costs to a car with a SALVAGE TITLE.

If i wanted to get a car to rebuild and resell, I would go to a insurance auction and get a clean title for 2k or less. This auction is for those with weekend time and want a nice car for fairly cheap COMPARED TO CANADIAN RETAIL.

Again, where in the hell are you getting $2000? Seriously. Good luck to you.

3 edits changing what your saying, your going off topic now talking about other cars, and yes $2000 on top of what your looking to get the car, prove me wrong and stay on topic

T.Dot_E30
03-12-2012, 09:00 AM
Get a room ladies....

richie_s999
03-12-2012, 09:03 AM
Get a room ladies....

no side line pokes, weigh in on if you think you can rebuild this car for $600 or $2000 on top of purchase of vehicle.

you know your stuff, and can do the work, you think you could get it on the road for $600???

5style
03-12-2012, 09:04 AM
anyone who rebuilds a car like this is going to be thinking of return on investment

I think you are wrong here. Its a 15 yr old car that holds a higher then average residual value. Anyone thinking into getting it is either thinking of parting it, or building it for cheap. Not a soul buys salvage titles for "return on investment build projects"

5style
03-12-2012, 09:09 AM
3 edits changing what your saying, your going off topic now talking about other cars, and yes $2000 on top of what your looking to get the car, prove me wrong and stay on topic

I ll put it to you this way. Out of the cars I've worked on rebuilding , 4 were dodge / chrysler vans. If you were to tell me that I need atleast 2k to rebuild them, I would agree with you, because:

1. They are very in demand to the general public, which is 99% of the people out there who don't give a rat's ass about cars
2. That inflates salvage part prices due to many being sold off for fleet vehicle repairs ( rentals, taxis, local shops repairing mom and dad's minor fenderbender, etc)
3. Dealer prices for many domestics are just as through the roof and imports , if not more.
4. Under 4 years of age, last one was 1.5yrs old, different ballgame.

This, is a 15 year old car, with a salvage title, which 99% of the car buying public would not consider if it were "mint", let alone in the condition its in right now.

Thus, this is a car that will be bought and build by an enthusiast or bought and parted out.

There is NO SENSE in rebuilding this car for any return on investment, because when it comes down to it, its 15 years old, and a new Hyundai will sell 10 times over before anyone takes a gander at a 15 year old m3 with a salvage title.

As for buying it for a cheap build to have a nice car, 100% WORTH IT, and extremely cheap to get running again, again, enthusiasts only. Do you seriously think people on maxbimmer who go to shops for everything are even considering this??

limenuke
03-12-2012, 09:27 AM
quick breakdown.

hood 50 bucks
radsupport 25 bucks
rebar 20
rad 60
rad shroud 20
fan blade 20
coolant bottle 15
headlights 35 each
filler panel 40
bumper 35 (not needed)

safety 60 bucks
etest 39.50

Hold on. I've talked to Eurostyle and Bimmer Autoworks and none of those people sell a hood for 50 or a fender for 35. They're all 100 and up. An M3 bumper is NOT $35.

I don't know about the other parts but I expect that the hood alone will run you at least 50 more.

5style
03-12-2012, 09:36 AM
Hold on. I've talked to Eurostyle and Bimmer Autoworks and none of those people sell a hood for 50 or a fender for 35. They're all 100 and up. An M3 bumper is NOT $35.

I don't know about the other parts but I expect that the hood alone will run you at least 50 more.

If you want, i ll tell you which salvage yards will give you a hood for $50, less if you go to pick and pull for example, and it will be mint and rot and dent free, and if you are really lucky, matching colour.

M3 bumper is cheap if you know where to go, $120 range, again, maxbimmer price and external prices differ tremendously, and we are talking oem, not ddm.

Eurostyle and others are great if you need a part that is guaranteed to be perfect, and you pay the premium for the service.*th-up* ( and they have every right to do so, because this is their livelihood and they bring you a lot more rare parts like "m" parts that you need to know people for at salvage yards. They also test the parts and will help you out if its crapped out, a salvage yard will not) Then again, if a car is in a salvage yard with its hood, up, off, or crumpled and innards are exposed to the elements, would you buy an alternator from said car? ( if you answered yes, the m3 here is not for you)

Everything this M3 needs to be repaired can come off any e36 4 door or Ti, other then the rad and potentially engine mounts if they tore and the motor shifted, which in that case, yes, the repair costs will increase.

If you have spare time on the weekend, pick and pull prices will match , and even beat out the pricing listed at standard auto.

For example, I got brand new pads, rotors , all around off a car at Kennys pick and pull for a whopping $15. They didn't even have time to get surface rust.

Rear headrests for my car for a whooping $10 ( compared to $40-80 here), door panel for $5, Hell, got BMW_7 a whole mint rust free door with glass, harness, handle, lock, everything but the doorpanel because it was beige and black was needed for a WHOPPING $30.

*wave* If you know where to go, and are a mechanic, this car is for you. If not, DO NOT consider it.

PS. Salvage yards are hit and miss, but since a e36 is written off weekly, or scrapped, new ones come frequently.

motion
03-12-2012, 11:17 AM
no side line pokes, weigh in on if you think you can rebuild this car for $600 or $2000 on top of purchase of vehicle.

you know your stuff, and can do the work, you think you could get it on the road for $600???

i do this for a living and i would say if i was on a uber budget build i can finish this car for just under 1250. basically 1000 dollars for parts and labour/paint and 250 for the cost of the structural safety. Quite frankly the quality of work would be 8/10 so about 85-90 percent of people out there wouldnt be able to tell work has been performed to it.

motion
03-12-2012, 11:21 AM

they arent exactly the cheapest places around nor are they the only ones.
you have to remember these cars are past 15 years old now and they are dime a dozen at junk yards. Even your local classifieds have tons of them ready to be sold/parted out/ etc...

your right a m3 bumper isnt 50 but then again you dont need a bumper for this car cuz that bumper itself is perfectly in tact. I put bumper price there for a regular e36 bumper with ALL the accessories on it ie. clips, brackets, mouldings, trims from the junkyard here locally.

5style
03-12-2012, 11:27 AM
i do this for a living and i would say if i was on a uber budget build i can finish this car for just under 1250. basically 1000 dollars for parts and labour/paint and 250 for the cost of the structural safety. Quite frankly the quality of work would be 8/10 so about 85-90 percent of people out there wouldnt be able to tell work has been performed to it.

Exactly what I ve been saying, except labour, but thats because when I price things out for myself, I depend on my spare time and thus, no labor. Thank you for an intelligent response, you definitely sound like you dabble in this business, like I have myself in the past and understand it.

5style
03-12-2012, 11:28 AM
they arent exactly the cheapest places around nor are they the only ones.
you have to remember these cars are past 15 years old now and they are dime a dozen at junk yards. Even your local classifieds have tons of them ready to be sold/parted out/ etc...

your right a m3 bumper isnt 50 but then again you dont need a bumper for this car cuz that bumper itself is perfectly in tact. I put bumper price there for a regular e36 bumper with ALL the accessories on it ie. clips, brackets, mouldings, trims from the junkyard here locally.

BINGO! OP knows what he speaks and I can confirm 100%, also i don't even know the OP AT ALL.

motion
03-12-2012, 11:34 AM
like i mentioned earlier i have personally SAT and inspected this car visually and i can tell you the damage is NOTHING compared to what everyone is making it sound like. the towers and the side aprons have zero damage. this is a dead on hit to the TOP of the front end only.