PDA

View Full Version : Time for change?

new2bmw
03-08-2012, 10:04 AM
Looking for a little advice. I have had the e30 for quite a while but with the kids I have no time for finish work. I have a huge collection of e30 parts and know the cars very well. I am thinking of getting rid of the car and starting with something that Is ready to go and i can just tinker with/upgrade on weekends. Now heres the question. Am I crazy for even debating getting into E36 territory or is the E30 a better series to stick with? I have heard a lot of people comment on the cheap build quality of the e36 and it kind of puts me off but I have no experience with them. Either way I will be starting fresh, only bonus is if I stick with e30 I have a lot of parts to work with. Any input/Ideas would be great. Cheers guys and thanks.

2bmw2
03-08-2012, 10:09 AM
How about getting an E46? they are quite cheap now and at least you are getting into something more modern.

5style
03-08-2012, 10:42 AM
e30 wagon. Come on, teach those kids well. No appliance cars.

Discostar
03-08-2012, 10:51 AM
Stick with the E30.

The E36 is really a love/hate relationship. The only E46 I would bother with is the M3.

davericher20
03-08-2012, 10:59 AM
ya buy my wagon, I'll only sell it to you for the amount of money I put into it.......soooo cheap! SO cheap you couldn't buy an e46 M3 for the same price......"sarcastic font"

Go at least 328 if you're gonna go e36. And make sure the body is mint. I've driven a well sorted heavily modded 328 and it made me giddy.

Instead of working on the e36 every weekend, why not work on the e30 every weekend?

E30 Girl
03-08-2012, 11:12 AM
If you do decide to sell the E30 what sort of parts you have I'm looking for a ton of stuff.

new2bmw
03-08-2012, 01:39 PM
ty for suggestions keep em coming. It just pisses me off, not having time. I have put over 6k into this car and it just needs paint, floors welded neither of which i can do and the manual tranny put in, I have the driveshaft, diff and tranny just need all the rest to go with it. It has brand new exhaust, headers, bilstiens, h&r's leather interior, plastic bumpers to go on and get rid of the body kit, just so many hours already put in and so many more to go. Everything i have put on only has less then 1000km on it as it still needs work. this sucks!

InfiniteDice
03-08-2012, 01:58 PM
E46... I like the look of the e46 but I'm wary of them for the same reasons as the e36... interior build quality. Seat materials that look like they might last 5 or 6 years if you're lucky, crappy Pontiac quality headliners... eeek, door cards that break.. then break some more... then don't go back on properly. Window transmission components that break. Probably more prone to rust than the e30 ever was... with thinner cheaper metal everywhere.

The e30 was built with that durable plastic that took what? 20 + years to finally break. Door cards? I've pulled them off a dozen times and only a few have broken but they still go back on fine. Leather seats that are still strong today... 24+ years later (sometimes stitching will break after 20 years what do you expect? Re-sew it!) . One coil, one hood shock, a trunk spring (not two shocks like an e36+). The list can go on all day and I'm technically at work so...

Sure there are things that are bad on the e30's but no more-so than the newer cars.

Woofer
03-08-2012, 04:36 PM
E30 = adult go cart lol

Sometimes things are just not made like they use to be. Every car company wants to make a quick buck and will cheap out when/where they can.

Not just bmws, but how often have you seen newer cars with burnt out lights/hids? Rust? Cars these days are meant to be replaced.

Why do you think MINT e30 m3s sell for much more than e36/e46 m3s?

Just my .02 cents.

propr'one
03-08-2012, 04:50 PM
the e30 and e36 are pretty much the same, especially in the sense of working on them. Both are easy to find parts for, write ups for, and most skills transfer from one to the other.

i'd bet most people who own (or have owned) both would probably agree.

T.Dot_E30
03-08-2012, 05:16 PM
Why not both?

If only one then it depends on your needs. I found the E36 a better all around daily yet still trackable.

new2bmw
03-08-2012, 05:34 PM
Right now I have a saab 9000cs for daily, great shape minus the two shit spots on top of doors where somebody ripped a roof rack and paint off. I am thinking of selling it and getting something more fun for the family car, maybe an A4. Not sure yet though as its hard to beat the power and interior of the saab, so any suggestions there anybody can throw in also, kinda off topic lol. As far as BMW, the E30 is for fun, so whatever BMW I get will be my summer throw the fam in and go cruising car, i just hate cars that everybody else has, cookie cutter cars suck. So the wife is allowing me 1 daily and 1 fun car. I just want to actually be able to drive a fun car this summer.

new2bmw
03-08-2012, 10:45 PM
I was just wondering if I posted everything i have including my e30 and all related parts if somebody might be willing to try to help me come up with a price for all of it or at least some of the items. Also where would be best to post it without it actually being for sale and not looking like i am trying to post all my stuff in an attempt to sell it and breaking the forum rules? Thanks guys.

Its also too damn bad the e36 interior is so crappy because they look sweet from the outside, I am so torn with the e30/e36 thing.

Eurostyle
03-08-2012, 11:11 PM
If you spent that $6K at an E30 with a proper base, you wouldnt even be asking that question right now! With the price drop on E46, would be hard to imagine why you would go for an E36...Unless you find a really clean one.

new2bmw
03-08-2012, 11:41 PM
Not quite sure if you are implying i made a stupid purchase or I am lying about the money spent if you wish to clarify that would help me out. I know the sum of the parts on the car, just not the value to our e30 community , obviously nobody will pay full for something that has even been taken out of a box. I have also collected many other parts not associated with my car yet, just in storage, map light mirrors , turbo manifolds, bumpers, turbo's etc. Christ, i bought the car for $200, did the work, had no kids and bought quality stuff, doesn't take long to add up. I admit if i knew what i do now, it would have been spent very differently, but it was a learning experience and the car has turned out well so far.

Eurostyle
03-08-2012, 11:51 PM
Not quite sure if you are implying i made a stupid purchase or I am lying about the money spent if you wish to clarify that would help me out. I know the sum of the parts on the car, just not the value to our e30 community , obviously nobody will pay full for something that has even been taken out of a box. I have also collected many other parts not associated with my car yet, just in storage, map light mirrors , turbo manifolds, bumpers, turbo's etc. Christ, i bought the car for $200, did the work, had no kids and bought quality stuff, doesn't take long to add up. I admit if i knew what i do now, it would have been spent very differently, but it was a learning experience and the car has turned out well so far.

Sorry, im not implying that you are lying about anything! Just saying if you got a $3K car, and spent $3K on fixing/moding it, things would be different now! Thats all, IMO*wave

As long as you have fun, and learing something in the prosess, thats all that counts! *th-up*

new2bmw
03-09-2012, 12:01 AM
wasn't trying to jump on that, its late i am tired and have this super long , expensive project that i love but am not sure if i can continue. I wish it would have been a 3k car. It was pretty much given to me from my mothers friend when i was making some life changes in anticipation of my first born, it was to help keep me busy and give me something productive to do. Turned into a new addiction lol and well here I am. It just really sucks when cash is low and you have yet to master all the fine arts of restoration. It is so close to being done yet so far away.

Eurostyle
03-09-2012, 12:31 AM
Look at it this way; some people blow $$$$ at coke and hookers, you invested it in a project you love, and it keeps you motivated for the stuff that really matters in life; your family. Cars are the best theraphy/addiction there is!!!:D

E30 Girl
03-09-2012, 03:20 PM
Look at it this way; some people blow $$$$ at coke and hookers, you invested it in a project you love, and it keeps you motivated for the stuff that really matters in life; your family. Cars are the best theraphy/addiction there is!!!:D

Very well put!

InfiniteDice
03-09-2012, 03:41 PM
Coke and hookers... LOL

I look at it this way. I can spend 140$ bi-weekly for the cheapest piece of modern crap that money can buy. Or I can spend a few hundred a month on maintaining something I know lasts and is different. So 280/month x 12 = $3360 a year + taxes and other fees. Don't forget you still need to do basic items on the lease while you have it, that's more $$$.

If you're e30 doesn't need anything that month to keep her going you can bank 50% for a rainy day and still have 140$ for lap dances and beer...

bmwm5lover
03-09-2012, 03:57 PM
Look at it this way; some people blow $$$$ at coke and hookers,

Everyday I regret I am a car guy and not a blow and hookers kinda guy...*smoke*

dbworld4k
03-09-2012, 04:33 PM
Everyday I regret I am a car guy and not a blow and hookers kinda guy...*smoke*

Do both. :idea:

davericher20
03-09-2012, 07:36 PM
Do both. :idea:
fu ck yeah