PDA

View Full Version : Removing air cond

mikelat
03-03-2012, 07:24 PM
My new 1990 325i has air. Is there any reason I can't cut the belt, disconnect the pipes and take it off. I don't yet have my Bentley manual but it looks like it is driven on its own belt and the only issue I can see is what to do with the freon.

Mike

MaxBell
03-03-2012, 07:50 PM
Yeh. Basically the only other thing that I'd look into is the fuel cooler lines that cross the firewall and go into the A/C system.

My old 4 door had the belt removed and everything else left in. Though it's a nice feature to have if it still works.

Ceeker
03-03-2012, 08:32 PM
My new 1990 325i has air. Is there any reason I can't cut the belt, disconnect the pipes and take it off. I don't yet have my Bentley manual but it looks like it is driven on its own belt and the only issue I can see is what to do with the freon.

Mike

Why do you want to remove something that is working perfectly fine and at that age rather rare? YOU will regret it when the compressor seizes because the belt was removed. Also, I am not entirely sure why you want to cut it? The ac compressor runs on a floating clutch plate. There isn't any draw on the system until you engage it. If it ain't broke..don't screw with it. the ONLY reason I can foresee cutting it or removing the system if you are going to upgrade with a modern motor etc.

frankie591
03-03-2012, 09:02 PM
ac is overrated anyway. Just remove that crap, put your sunroof in the vent position, and open the floor vents!

everlast
03-04-2012, 01:25 PM
Once you open it up and leave it, you'll probably never have the opportunity to reinstall.

If you decide to remove it, you HAVE to go to a shop and get them to pull the freon out and empty the system. It's quick, cost me $40 and the only responsible way to do it. Dumping into the atmosphere is plain ignorant.

MaxBell
03-04-2012, 02:03 PM
Dumping into the atmosphere is plain ignorant.

This. *smoke*

mikelat
03-04-2012, 04:19 PM
1 it doesn't work as guy I bought it from, the original owner had never used it.

2 the reason he had never used it is because we live in Vancouver where a hot day is 30ish with a sea breeze.

3 there is this huge non working lump in my engine compartment with the associated plumbing and it is ugly and non sano with a rad as well so it has to go.

I was going to cut the belt because the drive pulley is stacked on the other one leaving less than 1/4" to the rad and as the belt is wider that that I would have to pull the rad to get it off.

Yes I will have the freon removed properly. Thanks for the comments guys, as a nubie it is nice to see that this is indeed an active forum.

Mike

InfiniteDice
03-04-2012, 04:32 PM
Remove it... all the units I've removed had no pressure in them anyways. You can test for pressure on the line, just remove the cap and press in the valve with a screw driver. If it has pressure you should have someone drain it at a shop.

Accidents do happen though....

propr'one
03-04-2012, 05:10 PM
Yeah pull it out if its busted, there's some weight savings to be had. If its too hot, open the windows and drive faster.

frankie591
03-04-2012, 05:18 PM
This. *smoke*

Ya a few years ago I was putting a new can of refrigerant into my honda and the system fully charged with like 5 psi of pressure left in the can. I figured it wouldnt hurt to just vent it, so I tossed it onto the lawn right next to the driveway. The grass died where the stuff purged, and took like 3 years to grow back.

Its not good stuff for the environment that's for sure *no-no*

everlast
03-04-2012, 05:52 PM
Accidents do happen though....

Lame. *uzi*

I removed mine, compressor didn't work for years with a short in the clutch electromagnet. It was full when I got it evacuated. SO much more room for turbo bits. :)

e30sequel
03-04-2012, 07:28 PM
I thought NO ONE was going to mention weight savings ....... this would be the primary reason I would remove mine - it should be made an option again like in the olden days......

propr'one
03-04-2012, 07:57 PM
Why would they do it on new cars? A e90/F30 weighs around 3635 lb. (car and driver, 03/07) with a 1/2 tank of gas and no driver. So with a full tank of gas and a fat **** like me driving it will be around 3900lbs.

What's the point of 50 lbs weight savings?

I keep saying, i'll never buy a newer bmw. They're fat ****ing pigs. No fat chicks/cars, sorry.

Bullet Ride
03-04-2012, 08:09 PM
SO much more room for turbo bits. :)

This.

e30sequel
03-04-2012, 10:31 PM
yes lotsa fatness.....thats a good point ....am actually in process of removing mine from the bay.....was hoping for a little more than 50lbs - although not insignificant, good exchange of information nonetheless

hope you remove your a/c and post pix of process and deal with the freon properly....good luck

msinger
03-05-2012, 10:22 AM
Removed mine with M30 swap, it was an easy way to take out the 50 or so #'s that the M30 weighs over the M20

karmatose
03-05-2012, 02:50 PM
I removed it when I pulled the M10 out of my 318i. The compressor was shot when I got the car. I believe it comes out with two bolts on the compressor to the bracket and four bolts to the block itself. Getting the lines, condenser and dryer out is also pretty easy.

Proptip, take the a/c lines off the compressor before you remove it from the block.

InfiniteDice
03-05-2012, 04:48 PM
On the car I have now... The AC had been upgraded at some point so I figured why not keep it. After turning it on it would engage but wouldn't cool, so I figured it might need a recharge. I bought some of that environmentally safe shit for like 35 - 40$... So as I'm filling it up all I hear is it pissing out from some line someplace....

Okay I just wasted 40$...

I ripped the bloody thing out of there and never looked back. Gets in the way when doing things like timing belts anyways... (or water pumps at -25c - the definition of pain) Radiator gets more air, leaves room for the future... a small inter-cooler or whatever.

jasonbaek
03-07-2012, 11:50 PM
I really want a/c in my car.. last year august was insanely hot..stuck in downtown..damn I mean I wanted take the subway just to get some cool air.

mikelat
03-07-2012, 11:59 PM
Hey pay the shipping and you can have everything I take off however you still need the heater/CA in the car and I am keeping that if only for the heating.