PDA

View Full Version : 335i / 335xi Sport Seat problem? / question

Merkley
02-02-2012, 08:56 AM
I have a 2008 335xi with the sport package and it's manual.

I took a few different flavours of the 335i and 335xi out for drives and loved them. So I bought one.

However, on my drive home from the dealership (about 1.5 hours) I started to feel uncomfortable pressure from the seatpan support. I had it again on the way into work, the seatpan support (like lumbar) seems to be under my left leg not beside it. Since it's stick my left leg moves a little to the clutch and the 'rest peddle' -- but it's a definite issue for me. In all my test drives I didn't have this. -- mind you my test drives lasted 10-15 minutes and I was chatting and fully distracted.

Is there something that I am missing that can change the 'firmness' of that seatpan support or am I out of luck? I'm 6' and "average" overweight (not massive or anything like that) ... I have never had a car seat (or any seat) not fit me like this one. I don't even want to take people for a drive in fear that they will have the same experience.

Help / advice welcome... and since the new year I've been working out and losing weight but still have about 35-40 pounds to lose... but I really don't think that is what it is. How can I fit in Hondas / Toyotas / Acuras with ease but not in my 335?

nikijack
02-02-2012, 10:53 AM
Hi: On the vinyl sport seats on my 128i, there is a button which electronically widens or narrows the bolsters. Perhaps this is what you are talking about. Check your owner's manual.

cheers,

Jack

Merkley
02-02-2012, 11:24 AM
Hi: On the vinyl sport seats on my 128i, there is a button which electronically widens or narrows the bolsters. Perhaps this is what you are talking about. Check your owner's manual.

cheers,

Jack

AFAIK it's only the seatback, not the seat pan. Seat pan = ass part.

I just went and messed around with it. I think the problem is the motor part of the seat goes under the side seat pan support. I pressed down on it and you can feel the 'metal' or 'bar' very easily through the seat supports. I think that it's a design problem...? I can't understand why I didn't feel this before!?

F...F...F... driving more than 20-30 minutes will result in me being sore... anyone else have this experience with the sport seat?

I also confirm it's not my weight doing it because my hip bones are the issue. (Mind you if I weighed less it would not press down as much--- so maybe there is still hope?)

Anyone with 335_ with sport seats NOT have a problem? What's your dimensions?

Jim .E.
02-02-2012, 11:51 AM
Although your issue is the seat back...I just find the pedal arrangement and seat pan ergonomics horrible/atrocious unless you have the extendable thigh support. Never have that issue in my Acura TL or my old Accord.

Merkley
02-02-2012, 12:46 PM
^ no, my problem is the seat pan too. I'm a big guy and I swear my hips are wider than 1/2 the seat. I have the extender out all the way and if I slide my butt most of the way forward it's less of a pain. It's actually not PAINFUL at that point, just uncomfortable. I found that if I raise the seat a bit and point the forward part of the chair down as much as possible it helps, but for that you need the leg extension out or you pinch on your thighs.

Sitting with my butt about 1/2 way up the seat and 'laying back' seems to take some pressure off.

Has anyone put a pad or something under their butt to lift them up a little (and lower the pressure down on the side of the seat pan)? That seems like it might work, but F man, buy a BMW to have to modify the seat so it doesn't hurt? F. How small are people that the seat pan is only 15" wide? (Or whatever, I don't know the actual specs)

Jim .E.
02-02-2012, 01:23 PM
I just slouch in my seat and it seems to be okay, but not great on the back for long drives. The headrest is another one of my issues, never understood why its position furthest back still angles forward.

Jon@Bimmersport
02-03-2012, 10:13 AM
I just slouch in my seat and it seems to be okay, but not great on the back for long drives. The headrest is another one of my issues, never understood why its position furthest back still angles forward.

Makes you wonder if sometimes their lunch break in the engineering dept. looks like this...

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-YJpfEC5kwuE/TqFdj-BdDiI/AAAAAAAAAbc/nVcBKP6gpGY/s1600/oktoberfest.jpg

Merkley
02-04-2012, 08:29 AM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-YJpfEC5kwuE/TqFdj-BdDiI/AAAAAAAAAbc/nVcBKP6gpGY/s1600/oktoberfest.jpg

hahaha... the first thing that struck me about the photo is the one dude not smiling (top right)... but then notice the beer to hand to smile connection... he's the only one without a beer. I probably wouldn't smile either.

... there is hope though, I am looking for a seat insert and a custom seat from some site in the USA... still looking locally, but on some other forum they were highly recommended.

... and I swear, last night the seat was comfortable.... at least while I was under full acceleration and my brain was in "concentration mode" -- maybe I just need to drive around more like that!