PDA

View Full Version : Stage 2 MOD help needed before pickup on Saturday! Please!

Merkley
01-24-2012, 11:06 AM
Hi,

First post for me! I'm picking up my 2008 335xi on Saturday and am majorly excited. *love*

I have done considerable reading in the last week and think I am going to go the route of the COBB Accessport to flash. I would like to get to stage 2 which requires a DP.

Stage2 Intended for vehicles equipped for the following hardware:

* Requires upgraded high-flow downpipes (catted or catless are acceptable)
* Upgraded cat-back exhaust system recommended, but not required
* Upgraded intake system (DCI, panel filter or otherwise) recommended, but not required

My questions is:
1) Catted vs. Catless.... does this cause emission problems when you go to get e-tested? I would think yes, but then I can't think why people would get something knowing they are going to fail e-test...?

Also, if anyone can make recommendations for a good high-flow downpipe that is affordable and available. I am really 'new' to looking for these, but because of my time crunch I am hoping to get some advice while I do my searching. (I've spent all the time reading about JB4 and COBB so far)

How much time is it to install a DP? Do I have a hope in hell in getting the dealership I am buying it from give me a free installation if I bring it to them? What is the rough cost of the DP and DCI install?

Thanks, don't flame, I'm off to search too, but considering I have 3 days left I thought this might be a good idea to supplement my pending research.

Cheers

sproule905
01-25-2012, 07:33 AM
This is your first BMW and you already want to mod it before even driving it?

Unless you live in norther ON you need to have a valid etest done at the year intervals. So I would assume yes to cats. Or is this car being driven at a track only?

Merkley
01-25-2012, 09:17 AM
This is your first BMW and you already want to mod it before even driving it?

Yep. When I found out that I plug and play to get 50-80 HP for only 800? For sure!! I bought a supercharger for my last car and only made ~30 HP and it was about 2500 in mods, installation, tuning, etc. (and yes, I was ULTRA upset)

Unless you live in norther ON you need to have a valid etest done at the year intervals. So I would assume yes to cats. Or is this car being driven at a track only?
Thanks. Can you recommend brands / suppliers? I believe the most popular are "AR Design" ... but man, those are like 900 for downpipes? OUCH. I'm not use to being in this financial ball park.

propr'one
01-25-2012, 12:15 PM
AFAIK the 335 has two sets of cats, one in the headers and one in the midpipe. I"d assume they mean you need to get rid of the ones in the headers. (If so, just gut them).

Removing those cats will not make you fail an etest. Removing the ones in the midpipe will absolutely make you fail an e-test.

The dealer will not install the tune for you for free. Even if they did that would void your warranty.

Just FYI i know tons of people with modded 335s, i dont think any of them have the COBB system. Might be a reason for that.

Merkley
01-25-2012, 12:53 PM
Just FYI i know tons of people with modded 335s, i dont think any of them have the COBB system. Might be a reason for that.

Yeah, I am getting a little concerned about it. I think for now I am going to do DP's and AFE intake. Then when I have some time under my belt I'll be able to go to more advanced maps on "whatever" I decide.

I may even wait until my CPO is up (2 YEARS!) before I do the tuning stuff.... I understand that even if you de-flash, etc the 'black box' records things that they will be able to figure out is a result of a tune. (such as wastegate values and actual 'performance' data)... which makes sense to me now that I know they have it. (going to start a thread on it)

T.Dot_E30
01-25-2012, 01:03 PM
Another consideration for catless downpipes is that new cars don't need an etest done until they are 7 years old, some owners plan to get rid of the car by then.

Merkley
01-25-2012, 02:06 PM
Another consideration for catless downpipes is that new cars don't need an etest done until they are 7 years old, some owners plan to get rid of the car by then.

Really? Didn't know that.... almost worth the extra coin. This applies to Canada...?

Jim .E.
01-25-2012, 03:45 PM
Yeah, I am getting a little concerned about it. I think for now I am going to do DP's and AFE intake. Then when I have some time under my belt I'll be able to go to more advanced maps on "whatever" I decide.

I may even wait until my CPO is up (2 YEARS!) before I do the tuning stuff.... I understand that even if you de-flash, etc the 'black box' records things that they will be able to figure out is a result of a tune. (such as wastegate values and actual 'performance' data)... which makes sense to me now that I know they have it. (going to start a thread on it)

Get the JB4 and call it a day. Undetectable and a piggyback system.

http://www.burgertuning.com/jb4_pnp_BMW_performance_tuner.html

T.Dot_E30
01-25-2012, 03:48 PM
Really? Didn't know that.... almost worth the extra coin. This applies to Canada...?

This applies to Ontario's Drive Clean program. Some provinces don't have e-tests at all.

http://www.ene.gov.on.ca/environment/en/category/drive_clean/index.htm
On September 1, 2011, the following changes to Drive Clean came into effect:

Vehicles will need a test for registration renewal at seven years of age, instead of five.
Light-duty vehicles no longer require a test for family transfers and lease buyouts by the lessee.
No test is required for licence renewal if your light-duty vehicle passed the test in the previous calendar year.
Vehicles plated “Historic” no longer require testing.

pho_e92
01-25-2012, 06:55 PM
for our cars theres no point in getting highflow cats because they become useless after a while and are a waste of money. there are some ppl who have passed the emission test with only the secondary cats. get your dp asap trust me you will love it!!!

trialskid
01-25-2012, 07:35 PM
The cobb is by far the way to go

There is a shop in buffalo NY who is a cobb pro tuner for bmw

they tuned my STI when I had it.

They tuned their first 335 last night. Made 268 hp and 299 ft lbs

with the most aggressive cobb tune it made 336/385 and with their custom tune they made 360/416! And thats a completely stock car otherwise. 92 HP and 117 ft-lbs of torque isnt too shabby

the cobb may be the most expensive but cobb + custom tune is the only way to go imo

Blackedout95
01-25-2012, 07:45 PM
with the most aggressive cobb tune it made 336/385 and with their custom tune they made 360/416! And thats a completely stock car otherwise. 92 HP and 117 ft-lbs of torque isnt too shabby

Click click....

http://www.wordans.com/wordansfiles/images/2010/6/3/35583/35583_340.jpg?1275593568

propr'one
01-25-2012, 08:43 PM
A lot of 335's have had not hours, but days, of dyno testing in maximum stress situations. Other than the obvious heatsoak robbing tons of power (which is common for all FI cars) i've seen the N54 cars hit huge numbers all day with more or less stock components.

T.Dot_E30
01-25-2012, 08:50 PM
A lot of 335's have had not hours, but days, of dyno testing in maximum stress situations. Other than the obvious heatsoak robbing tons of power (which is common for all FI cars) i've seen the N54 cars hit huge numbers all day with more or less stock components.

I've also seen stock 335s go into limp mode after a few hot laps on the track.

Tuned probably make it worst.

trialskid
01-25-2012, 10:36 PM
they go into a fail-safe mode when hitting certain oil/coolant temps

definitely doesn't mean anything is going to blow up

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=412156

Blackedout95
01-25-2012, 11:21 PM
True, in fact they are much better than a GM with boost ;)

Merkley
01-26-2012, 12:43 AM
for our cars theres no point in getting highflow cats because they become useless after a while and are a waste of money. there are some ppl who have passed the emission test with only the secondary cats. get your dp asap trust me you will love it!!!

I was looking at AR Design ones... and then the install. I was going to try to do a group buy because there is no way I can float a COBB AccessPort, AR Design downpipes, air intake a week after my 7G down payment.

Then I thought, it might take some time to organize, but a group buy might help me (all of us, lol) .... But, too much work for me at this point, I don't know how many members have 335xi's (or i's) --- still getting the feel around here. BUT if someone wants to organize one I'm in if the details are good.

(Plus for the 335xi they are a pain to install, read it's a pretty big job, gotta drop the sub-frame and sheet like that -- I'd want to set it up with a shop so they give us a deal on labour too)

propr'one
01-26-2012, 03:12 AM
I've also seen stock 335s go into limp mode after a few hot laps on the track.

Tuned probably make it worst.

I'm not saying all 335 tunes are good, i'm just saying its possible.

richie_s999
01-26-2012, 05:39 AM
Curious as to why anyone would want to spend this money on extra performance when it's an IX. Ya it's nice to have awd for the snow, (not needed though, rwd is more then livable in snow) but the system is a waste for performance and handling the rest of the year.

pho_e92
01-26-2012, 09:15 AM
I was looking at AR Design ones... and then the install. I was going to try to do a group buy because there is no way I can float a COBB AccessPort, AR Design downpipes, air intake a week after my 7G down payment.

Then I thought, it might take some time to organize, but a group buy might help me (all of us, lol) .... But, too much work for me at this point, I don't know how many members have 335xi's (or i's) --- still getting the feel around here. BUT if someone wants to organize one I'm in if the details are good.

(Plus for the 335xi they are a pain to install, read it's a pretty big job, gotta drop the sub-frame and sheet like that -- I'd want to set it up with a shop so they give us a deal on labour too)

Ya installing the downpipes on a XI is not an easy task but there is a guy in mississuaga that does the install for a very fair price. If you are on a budget then get UR downpipes and find a used cobb ap. Or if you can wait then vsrf might be having a group buy sometime in the spring.

Merkley
01-26-2012, 10:41 AM
Ya installing the downpipes on a XI is not an easy task but there is a guy in mississuaga that does the install for a very fair price. If you are on a budget then get UR downpipes and find a used cobb ap. Or if you can wait then vsrf might be having a group buy sometime in the spring.

Shoot me a PM of their contact info please and thanks... or list it and share with the masses.

pho_e92
01-26-2012, 11:30 AM
Shoot me a PM of their contact info please and thanks... or list it and share with the masses.

Ivo @ columbus automotive. ill pm you the number.

sproule905
01-26-2012, 03:14 PM
they go into a fail-safe mode when hitting certain oil/coolant temps

definitely doesn't mean anything is going to blow up

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=412156

Also can go into limp mode on throttle deviation - at least my M5 is being a bitch lately.

Merkley
01-26-2012, 10:05 PM
Curious as to why anyone would want to spend this money on extra performance when it's an IX.

...don't worry, it's an XI not and IX! :D

Ya it's nice to have awd for the snow, (not needed though, rwd is more then livable in snow) but the system is a waste for performance and handling the rest of the year.

IMO from the research I've done it seems like most people do not really understand what xDrive actually is ... or how it feels. It's not AWD like people think.

From BMW:
Unlike other 4x4 systems, BMW xDrive ensures a tight grip on slick roads, without sacrificing the feel of rear wheel drive. The intelligent BMW xDrive system transfers power to the wheels with a confident grip – and all that in just milliseconds. So, under normal conditions, drive forces are distributed between the front and rear axles in a 40:60 ratio. But the moment the system senses excessive loss of traction, it subtly shifts torque to meet the changing conditions, offering maximum available traction and superior handling on all surfaces.

From Me (and a few
I took out the RWD and xDrive and the xDrive does feel more rear-wheel then other cars. For sure you can tell around corners though, no doubt (but that's the point right?) And it was wicked around the corners, semi wet... rear end would have probably got loose in RWD.

For me the little extra weight and higher stance can more than be made up for with some suspension, engine mods and tuning. There are no mods to make an i into an xi.

SAMPLE (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4enba_8lYeQ)

...oh and I have a 9 month old daughter... so "SAFETY FIRST!" *th-up*

SiR
01-26-2012, 11:24 PM
what was OP last car?

Its not like the 335i is a slouch out of the box... id probably leave the flash off it for the first while so you can get used to it...
but obviously youll do what youd like. just dont over do it lol ditch

Merkley
01-27-2012, 01:51 AM
what was OP last car?

A DREAM. Supercharged Type-R in a Del Sol with PIC coilovers, 3" CAI, 3" Cat back, triple gauge pod, Clarion flip out DVD, full Mishimoto (sp?) aluminum racing (custom mount), etc. Car was awesome... except it was only 2 seats... and we are now 3.

Its not like the 335i is a slouch out of the box... id probably leave the flash off it for the first while so you can get used to it...
but obviously youll do what youd like. just dont over do it lol ditch

I like to have something different from the masses. It just makes it feel more "mine". I'd really like a sleeper among sleepers ... just a wuss about warranty stuff

Looks like with my "analysis paralysis" I ended up doing nothing but reading and posting on forums!! GRRRRRRR.... but way cheaper (and safer)!! :D

1bmw1
01-27-2012, 02:16 AM
Looks like with my "analysis paralysis" I ended up doing nothing but reading and posting on forums!! GRRRRRRR.... but way cheaper (and safer)!! :D

Haha, don't worry, i do that too often as well until my wife gives me the go ahead.:D

If you go ahead with this, let us know which direction you took.

SiR
01-27-2012, 09:40 AM
that sounds like a pretty sweet del sol set up though supercharging is not the greatest route for those engines...still was probably a blast. pic coilovers are awesome too.

if you have not driven a rwd car(regularly) before i would highly suggest you wait 6 months to a yr before you go ahead and flash your 335i, imo.

and not much about a 335i is diff than the masses. i see more of them than civics ;)

Goodluck and give yourself some time to adjust to the diff driving wheels. Something you should really consider if you have a little one with you now. Obviously Im err'ing on the side of caution. You (will do what you want)/might have enough restraint and brains to handle that much torch out of the box, but all it takes is one foul up in a newb haze to end up backwards into a ditch.
I dont hang out in the 135/335i section but maybe see how likely people end up crashing. (yes I know dsc psm asc lmnopqrstouv) and all those gadgets helps)
crashes seem to be common in the e36/e46 areas.

richie_s999
01-27-2012, 10:32 AM
...don't worry, it's an XI not and IX! :D

IMO from the research I've done it seems like most people do not really understand what xDrive actually is ... or how it feels. It's not AWD like people think.

From BMW:
Unlike other 4x4 systems, BMW xDrive ensures a tight grip on slick roads, without sacrificing the feel of rear wheel drive. The intelligent BMW xDrive system transfers power to the wheels with a confident grip and all that in just milliseconds. So, under normal conditions, drive forces are distributed between the front and rear axles in a 40:60 ratio. But the moment the system senses excessive loss of traction, it subtly shifts torque to meet the changing conditions, offering maximum available traction and superior handling on all surfaces.

From Me (and a few
I took out the RWD and xDrive and the xDrive does feel more rear-wheel then other cars. For sure you can tell around corners though, no doubt (but that's the point right?) And it was wicked around the corners, semi wet... rear end would have probably got loose in RWD.

For me the little extra weight and higher stance can more than be made up for with some suspension, engine mods and tuning. There are no mods to make an i into an xi.

SAMPLE (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4enba_8lYeQ)

...oh and I have a 9 month old daughter... so "SAFETY FIRST!" *th-up*

I understand the need to build a car that stands out, and the need for a safe family vehicle ( congrates on the baby, my first is due in July). but its not the awd that makes it safe, its the peice of flesh in the drivers seat that keeps the family safe by driving according to conditions. you may get going quicker sometimes, but it isn`t gonna help you stop or turn in, what awd is worst at then rwd , which is what will save you.

But honestly, its still awd, and you don`t need it. My sister and her husband have an 08 or 09 (e9x) 330i and its amazing in the winter with just a set of snows.

NOTORIOUS VR
01-28-2012, 07:25 PM
I understand the need to build a car that stands out, and the need for a safe family vehicle ( congrates on the baby, my first is due in July). but its not the awd that makes it safe, its the peice of flesh in the drivers seat that keeps the family safe by driving according to conditions. you may get going quicker sometimes, but it isn`t gonna help you stop or turn in, what awd is worst at then rwd , which is what will save you.

But honestly, its still awd, and you don`t need it. My sister and her husband have an 08 or 09 (e9x) 330i and its amazing in the winter with just a set of snows.

why are you telling people what they need or what they don't need? The guy wants an AWD car (can't blame him, it's just that much nicer to drive as you never have to worry about traction), it really doesn't matter that your sister, bothers cousin, long time family friend, or dog has a RWD only car now does it.

Also not all AWD systems are only reactive, there are some that are proactive which absolutely do help under braking and turning even with no power applied (quattro is one of the fwiw).

Also to the OP... make sure you go with a real ECU flash tune (Cobb, Giac, Dinan, etc) instead of a garbage piggyback unit. Real tune > tricking the ECU all day every day.

Merkley
01-28-2012, 07:49 PM
Goodluck and give yourself some time to adjust to the diff driving wheels. Something you should really consider if you have a little one with you now. Obviously Im err'ing on the side of caution. You (will do what you want)/might have enough restraint and brains to handle that much torch out of the box, but all it takes is one foul up in a newb haze to end up backwards into a ditch.

Agreed. I do worry about that for sure. My plan is go gentle with whatever I get while I learn. (I drive lots tho, my del Sol had 341,000 KMs on it!) Pretty much only WOT on traction and straight lines until I get some serious seat time. I do appreciate the advice and heads up, because I took my buddies modified RWD out and was MESS in it. (It was embarrassing to be honest)

The reason I was thinking to mod it straight away is to learn it from day 1. But as I mentioned it turned out to be way more $$ than I am used to for things like downpipes. (Imagine my happiness when I read "you need downpipes and air intake for COBB stage 2! I was like WOOT, I'll do that!! Then I saw the prices. Does BMW stand for Bust My Wallet?)

I do plan to go to a proper driving school in summer. I've have not driven RWD in 10+ years! :rolleyes:

Haha, don't worry, i do that too often as well until my wife gives me the go ahead.

SO TRUE. But keep it up... they eventually lose traction! If you are serious, my advice is to ask her to help make a decision. Present the facts and say what do you think? Can you read up on X and Y too please? --- My wife used to have an opinion about the stuff I did to my car (like that I shouldn't, not about "brand x vs brand y")... but a little of "okay, can you help me" will go a long way. After being married for 10+ years she's come to understand that this is my thing and I'll do the due diligence. (I'm way harder on myself then anyone else is). But who am I kidding, I still have a budget... which is essentially "approved" ... so I guess it's the same. With the budget, just do the natural "over estimation" of what I need, then come in lower and am a "good guy" and get my mods too! --- but I f'd that up because I didn't know how much parts were! fcplm

firepoule
01-28-2012, 08:57 PM
Curious as to why anyone would want to spend this money on extra performance when it's an IX. Ya it's nice to have awd for the snow, (not needed though, rwd is more then livable in snow) but the system is a waste for performance and handling the rest of the year.

Funny coming from a person who owns a 318.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDUc710kY3I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gadg8u3IB6E

handles just as good on a track as it does in a straight line..was nice meeting you...*uzi*

richie_s999
01-28-2012, 09:25 PM
Funny coming from a person who owns a 318is and 325.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDUc710kY3I

handles just as good on a track as it does in a straight line..was nice meeting you...*uzi*

um sorry, but does you car make you a bigger man or someone compensating for a lack of something?

The 318is E30 and e36 325is were the last 2 BMW's I built, next up is a v8 e30, which will be my track toy, which will look great sitting in the driveway with the CTS and Ram sport Crew cab.

NO AWD BMW WILL HANDLE BETTER THEN ITS RWD BROTHER !!!

awd/4wd or what ever system you have might allow you to get going a bit easier, but does nothing but give the driver market hype that its safer and gives them more confidence then it comes to braking and turning in poor weather and bang, they are spinning or sliding cause of industry feed crap to get you to by a car with awd.... cause with all the snow we get you so need it? I have a 4wd truck, think I have turned the 4wd on once since I picked it up in July.

this thread fully of jokers

firepoule
01-28-2012, 09:30 PM
You clearly lack more than just the twin turbos. Your suggestion of wasting time modding an xi is as intelligent as your choice of vehicules. Here's another car with wasted awd nissan gtr... again ,nice meeting you.

richie_s999
01-28-2012, 09:35 PM
You clearly lack more than just the twin turbos. Your suggestion of wasting time modding an xi is as intelligent as your choice of vehicules. Here's another car with wasted awd nissan gtr... again ,nice meeting you.

are you trying to look cool? grow up. I don't need a turbo to be fast or be cool, GTR is another class the a 335, please go search for Kart Vader on the island.

nice meeting you???? wtf is that??? :D:D

Merkley
01-29-2012, 01:43 AM

Exactly!! It's funny; I thought forums would be more supportive for the higher end cars like Bimmers... maybe that's hob-nob of me, but I just didn't think there would be tools going into threads 'challenging' people on what they want to do. Not only that, but he doesn't know what he's talking about.

335xi 1/4 mile times (http://www.dragtimes.com/BMW--335xi-Drag-Racing.html)

---

why are you telling people what they need or what they don't need? The guy wants an AWD car (can't blame him, it's just that much nicer to drive as you never have to worry about traction), it really doesn't matter that your sister, bothers cousin, long time family friend, or dog has a RWD only car now does it.

I'm guessing it's because she hasn't heard of the expression "if you have nothing nice to say, then say nothing at all" -- probably hears expressions like "shut up" or "piss off" though! ;) ... and I'm sure dude has not taken out an XI when it's all slushy and slippery. That's something that seems to be a theme... lots of opinion, not too much knowledge or experience (and they aren't the same thing either!)

---

um sorry, but does you car make you a bigger man or someone compensating for a lack of something?

fcplm Weren't you the one that first said that an XI wasn't worth it and took a shot at the car? Seems like you might be a little jealous or something? I don't know, don't know why you participate if you're challenging people to their own personal tastes...

richie_s999
01-29-2012, 11:00 AM
Seriously, I questioned why because I don't get why you would buy a "safer" vehicle because you have a kid, only to mod it.

What do I have be jealous of?

The fact that you had a modded de sole, and can't afford 2 cars so your giving up your toy, so you can have a family vehicle? Maybe since you can't drive a rwd car as you said, you should look into some advanced drivers training to handle all that amazing power you have with your car, cause its gonna take at least 6 months to learn how to drive and handle that power.

I have nothing the be jealous of you, and a high end BMW does not demand a person be respected, which btw I don't think the car you are getting is high end, tested all the 3 series e9x platforms last summer while shopping for a car for the wife.

If you have a problem being questioned, or want your balls licked cause you own a BMW I feel sorry for you.

Have a nice day, enjoy the BMW, it's a nice step up from your de sole, now you actually own a car.

1bmw1
01-29-2012, 12:00 PM
Seriously, I questioned why because I don't get why you would buy a "safer" vehicle because you have a kid, only to mod it.

What do I have be jealous of?

The fact that you had a modded de sole, and can't afford 2 cars so your giving up your toy, so you can have a family vehicle? Maybe since you can't drive a rwd car as you said, you should look into some advanced drivers training to handle all that amazing power you have with your car, cause its gonna take at least 6 months to learn how to drive and handle that power.

I have nothing the be jealous of you, and a high end BMW does not demand a person be respected, which btw I don't think the car you are getting is high end, tested all the 3 series e9x platforms last summer while shopping for a car for the wife.

If you have a problem being questioned, or want your balls licked cause you own a BMW I feel sorry for you.

Have a nice day, enjoy the BMW, it's a nice step up from your de sole, now you actually own a car.

Please stop, honestly. You're making yourself look very limited in thought.

SiR
01-30-2012, 09:52 AM
(Imagine my happiness when I read "you need downpipes and air intake for COBB stage 2! I was like WOOT, I'll do that!! Then I saw the prices. Does BMW stand for Bust My Wallet?)

for part prices from the dealers..yes.
but in general no. but you gotta pay to play. exhaust pieces are ridiculously marked up in a lot of cases. Mostly because ignorant fools will still pay without questioning it.

pho_e92
01-30-2012, 02:20 PM
LOL whats with you people with insulting each other and veering off topic. we are here to answer OP's questions.

OP the prices for certain things are pricey for this platform but there are parts that are reasonably priced you just have to look. you can always buy stuff used if you think its overpriced new.

Merkley
01-30-2012, 08:40 PM
OP the prices for certain things are pricey for this platform but there are parts that are reasonably priced you just have to look. you can always buy stuff used if you think its overpriced new.

This probably sounds as stupid as it is, but I didn't really consider used ... don't know why, just that I am used to buying new stuff I guess. I think you're right tho, downpipes are downpipes ... maybe I can find some modder that is coming off lease. :) Thanks.