PDA

View Full Version : lowering springs installed car still sitting high in rear

alvese30
01-11-2012, 01:01 PM
hi guys need some help,

installed a set of vogtland lowering springs and kyb shocks on my 84 318i should have lowered the car 1.6 in the front and 1.5 in the rear however the rear is sitting pretty high up about 2.5 to 3 inches from the arch to the wheel. i did install the springs and shocks myself but everything is sitting int he right spot and i triple check but still no luck on curing this problem. I have driven it for 3 months and still high. it is currently in storage but i would liek to fix it when i get the time. thanks for the help.

Bullet Ride
01-11-2012, 01:19 PM
This is what my 325i looked like with the exact same set-up

http://i575.photobucket.com/albums/ss191/StevoM5/325i/DSC01540.jpg
http://i575.photobucket.com/albums/ss191/StevoM5/325i/DSC01542.jpg

2.5"-3" from the arch to where on the wheel? the top of the tire? or the edge of the rim? If it's to the edge of the rim that sounds about right.

E30M42cab
01-11-2012, 01:53 PM
^^Yeah, but his early model (1984) has the high rear arches, so comparing the look of your car to his doesn't really work. Also, BMW sold these cars with a few different spring pad thicknesses, so if by chance you've got 9mm top and bottom pads, you could swap them out for 3mm, or non at all and that would lower you a bit more. You still won't be able to get rid of the high arches though. It's always going to look like that. Or you could just get lower springs than the Vogtland.

supernaught
01-11-2012, 08:32 PM
or bigger tires. What size tires/wheels are you running? 195/50/15s will leave some gap

alvese30
01-11-2012, 09:20 PM
thanks for the replies i had no idea the arches were smaller but i guess that could be why. i got 15's on it right now not sure the tire size but i was planning on upping the rims to 17s come spring that should hopefully do the trick. any suggestions on how big i should go with the tires? dont want them to thick but i want to fill that gap up as much as i can. Also is there any other suspension set ups that will lower the rear more. thanks for all the help guys really do appreciate it.

Ceeker
01-11-2012, 10:21 PM
in my opinion. I think the car has a nice stance..

MaxBell
01-12-2012, 01:26 AM
thanks for the replies i had no idea the arches were smaller but i guess that could be why. i got 15's on it right now not sure the tire size but i was planning on upping the rims to 17s come spring that should hopefully do the trick. any suggestions on how big i should go with the tires? dont want them to thick but i want to fill that gap up as much as i can. Also is there any other suspension set ups that will lower the rear more. thanks for all the help guys really do appreciate it.

Ground control, or there's a JOM coilover group buy on R3Vlimited.com for the cheapo way.

E30M42cab
01-13-2012, 10:57 PM
any suggestions on how big i should go with the tires? dont want them to thick but i want to fill that gap up as much as i can. Also is there any other suspension set ups that will lower the rear more. thanks for all the help guys really do appreciate it.

Ask Jay (or read up):
http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54146