PDA

View Full Version : LF No fault Insurance Thread

craigIS
01-04-2012, 06:58 PM
I'm trying to locate a thread on here on Max about No Fault Insurance, and can't seem to find it.

A friend of mine was in an accident involving black ice, and ended up rear ending another car. Her insurance has since doubled even though weather was the major factor.

If we were to insert some what if's, could that change how the insurance is affected? Like; what if it was a combo of ice, and the driver? What if Officers didn't think there was enough ice to cause the accident, or something like that?

If anyone can help me find this thread, and, or reply with some insight, that would be great!

Thanks in advance.

SickFinga
01-04-2012, 08:42 PM
It does matter if there was ice or it was a shinny summer day. She was simply going too fast for road conditions.

Not sure about what thread you are talking about, but search for hockeyfan27 posts and you should find it.

T.Dot_E30
01-04-2012, 10:07 PM
Does not matter, it's an at fault claim no matter how you look at it.

damameke
01-04-2012, 10:12 PM
Insurance company does not consider "What If" situation..
your friend rear-ended a car.. she is at fault...black ice or not...

check with hockeyfan27 for insurance quote.. he can help in that area...

noodles101
01-04-2012, 10:34 PM
black ice sucks, i recently encountered black ice.. scary shit except no cars were around me so it was okay.

craigIS
01-05-2012, 12:06 AM
I did check hockeyfan's posts and threads, becaue I remember him talking about it at one point.

I was in an accident in 2006 in London. It was raining, not pouring, and I had to stop hard after being cut off, slammed on my breaks; tried to turn, wheels locked up, and smacked into the back of another car. I wasn't at fault, and my insurance didn't go up.

Anyway, I know companies don't go on what if's. I was asking those what if's in case they are in then officers report.

So what your saying, is that black ice is something that can be controlled, and you can always control your vehicle on it?

328IScreamer
01-05-2012, 12:06 AM
yes if you are the one doing the rear ending your basically screwed. I got rear ended on a rainy "slippery" day and the girl got charged with careless

noodles101
01-05-2012, 01:07 AM
...kinda going off topic a little bit, but how can u tell if there is black ice?

i usually drive cautious when its below zero and if the road shines...

sproule905
01-05-2012, 09:28 AM
get the disclosure from the officer - this is requested when you go to fight your ticket.

That will end this "what if" thread.

SickFinga
01-05-2012, 01:31 PM
...after being cut off

this is a completely different scenario

hockeyfan27
01-06-2012, 02:11 PM
I'm trying to locate a thread on here on Max about No Fault Insurance, and can't seem to find it.

A friend of mine was in an accident involving black ice, and ended up rear ending another car. Her insurance has since doubled even though weather was the major factor.

If we were to insert some what if's, could that change how the insurance is affected? Like; what if it was a combo of ice, and the driver? What if Officers didn't think there was enough ice to cause the accident, or something like that?

If anyone can help me find this thread, and, or reply with some insight, that would be great!

Thanks in advance.

Hey Craig, is this the one? http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139189

The only "what if" that could make a difference is, "what if the person who was rear-ended was reversing and you have a witness/video to prove it". Even that isn't always going to change the fault determination.

Thing like adjusting your driving to the weather conditions and proper vehicle maintenance are the responsibility of the driver. If your brakes fail, you hit black ice, you hydroplane...and you get into an accident, it's your fault.

Some times you just can't dodge the bullet!

The best way to protect yourself is to make sure you policy has an accident forgiveness endorsement. (it goes by many other names: accident waiver, premium protector, responsible driver guarantee, driving record protector, etc...) Generally, it is only offered once you are a 5 star (5*) driver. (driving/licenced/insured for 5 years without an accident)

With this endorsement on your policy, if you suffer from an unfortunate set of circumstances, your premium won't sky-rocket. It is also important to note that not all accident forgiveness endorsements are created equal. All companies do it differenetly Some offer partial forgiveness, example: your 6* driving record is dropped to a 5* resulting in a modest increase, but still protects you from the astronomical difference from a 6* to a 0*. Some will waive the consequences of only 1 at fault accident. A 2nd at fault accident still results in non-renewal. Others will continue to insure you even after 2 at faults, but at a 0* rate which can still be MUCH better then the rate you would get with a high risk company. Some companies just don't offer it at all.

EVERY TIME you get a quote or when reviewing your renewal, ask if it includes accident forgiveness. Many companies will throw it in for free, but you HAVE to ask for it. Others charge $25-$150 for it, but it is worth every penny. (a drop from a 6* to a 5* is usually $300+)

Craig, tell your friend to shop around. Many people feel like once they have an at fault, they are lucky to get any policy and don't look for a better price then they are offered. Many smaller brokers only have one company who will accept a client with recent claim: "The Facility Association", which is often the most expensive option. There are a few companies who's target customer is person with a recent at fault claim or a pile of tickets. (Jevco or Pafco to name a few) and their rate can be 1/2 of what the facility charges.

Finally, ALWAYS FIGHT THE TICKET!! Usually, with an at fault, the cop give out a careless charge. (I know this first hand) A Careless is a MAJOR conviction and results in a much higher surcharge. If you go to court and get it reduced to a minor conviction or even better, dropped all together, you are much more "insurable" and have many more options.

craigIS
01-06-2012, 02:47 PM
Hey Craig, is this the one? http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139189

Yes, that's the one I was looking for.

Thanks for chiming in here hockeyfan. I was basing everything on my scenario. The way you have explained it clears things up; a lot!

I thank you, and everyone else again for the help here!

5style
01-06-2012, 04:14 PM
driver knowledge and caution go a really long way as well as proper tires