PDA

View Full Version : TD meloche monnex pre insurance car inspection??

noodles101
01-03-2012, 05:01 PM
i used to be insured with desjardin and i was paying 200 for one way...:mad:

and they canceled the policy on me because i didnt change my BC license on time..

and i called up TD meloche monnex and got full coverage for 168 dollars.
( insurance policy in effect starting today )

but they told me i have to do a pre insurance car inspection within the 30 days.

anyone with td meloche monnex and do their inspection?

is this just like safety test? because i think i need new tie rods and new windshield , i'll definitely get new windshield before the inspection but are they going to be all up on my ass for having m3 bumper / projector headlights / side skirts / contour rims / slightly lowered ...? :(:(

Red_Rocket
01-03-2012, 05:11 PM
When i got my E30 insured with them they said the same thing. I had to go to one of those rust check places. They took pics of my car and gave me a file number and that was it. Months later they called me and asked me why i didnt have that done. So i told them i did and just asked me for the file number, so i guess its not the biggest deal. Dunno Hope that helps.

MiroE36
01-03-2012, 05:18 PM
They require inspections on older cars to look for any defects and prior damage so they can adjust their policy accordingly.

They will check for any "upgrades" from factory specifications but you'll be fine for the headlights, side skirts and rims. But they will likely not be happy with the lowered car... if they do however ask if you lowered it, say no, just say that that is how the car came when you bought it way back when. You can also run the b/s about it costing way too much to buy oem suspension and that you can't afford to make any changes to the car blah blah and the agent will usually let it go without issue. But if your car is slightly lowered I wouldn't worry. I've had 2 inspections with them on 2 slightly lowered cars and it was never an issue. The only items I was ever questioned about was the stereo (which they say they will not cover unless I pay extra as it was an aftermarket deck, and since I had a short-ram intake, but they let that go because I told them that that's how I got the car and that I cannot afford to pay $600 for a factory airbox from the dealership and they let it go... best part is, because it's disclosed to your insurance, in case of an accident they will not deny you any claims due to aftermarket parts. So the inspection will actually work in your favour, not against you... hopefully you don't get some a$$hole agent though as I'm sure there are some that will try to make life miserable.

Cheers...

Never did one on the 335i though, probably because it was too new for them to bother.

noodles101
01-03-2012, 05:35 PM
^^ thank you very much guys .

my engine bay is 100 percent stock :) + stock exhaust.. and everything.

i should get my cracked windshield fixed before this right? lol

dbworld4k
01-03-2012, 06:45 PM
I think they asked for the same thing for my car, but nothing ever came of it...

Michel
01-03-2012, 06:49 PM
I had to get this done on my cars as well. My corolla is a 2010 and I still had to do it, so I don't think age matters. On my bmw, they basically asked me if I wanted to have my rims insured, so I said no; they marked them down as an upgrade/modification but I'm not paying any premium on them. All they did was take pics of the vin numbers and odometer to make sure everything matches in case of insurance fraud...

Sirjetblack
01-03-2012, 06:53 PM
No car inspection from monnex for my car.

noodles101
01-03-2012, 07:06 PM
oh okay so i dont have to worry so much..lol

its just like how insurance agent used to come to your house to take pictures but TD just makes you go to a place to make it easier for them.

thanks guys for the info :)

sproule905
01-04-2012, 07:55 AM
Never had td come and check out any of my cars, but then again I always used oem parts, except for the suspensions.

I wouldn't be too worried about this. Just don't lie and say our car is not turbo'd when they ask for modifications.

Bullet Ride
01-04-2012, 09:28 AM
All they do is take a front 3/4 picture and a rear 3/4 picture from the opposite side so they have a view of all 4 sides of the car on file. Then they take a picture of the VIN in two spots (windshield and door) and a picture of the odometer. If there is any obvious damage to the car they will take a picture of it, and if there are any obvious exterior or interior modifications they will take a picture of them. They aren't going to comb over your car in fine detail, the place I went to didn't pop the hood or anything, the guy didn't even mention the rims I had or the fact that the car was clearly not stock ride height.

The whole idea behind the inspection is to prevent insurance fraud where people get a car insured and then make a claim for damages that existed before the insurance policy existed. Some people also have a tendency to insure cars that don't exist or that they never owned and then report them stolen and get a settlement. This just gives them a record of the general state of your car around the time the policy was enacted.

T.Dot_E30
01-04-2012, 11:59 AM
They only asked me for 3 pictures of the car when I put full coverage on the M3.

Bullet Ride
01-04-2012, 12:24 PM
They only asked me for 3 pictures of the car when I put full coverage on the M3.

3 pics is the bare minimum as you can get the whole car in two shots and one other shot of the VIN#
Some places take more.

T.Dot_E30
01-04-2012, 01:13 PM
3 pics is the bare minimum as you can get the whole car in two shots and one other shot of the VIN#
Some places take more.

Hmm, they didn't ask me for any of the VIN, just front, rear and interior. I guess it depends.

Bullet Ride
01-04-2012, 01:28 PM
Hmm, they didn't ask me for any of the VIN, just front, rear and interior. I guess it depends.

lol, sort of defeats the purpose. you could have took pictures of someone else's silver E36 M3. I'm actually surprised that they let you take the pictures and send them in and didn't make you go to an authorized shop that takes the inspection pics.

noodles101
01-04-2012, 01:39 PM
How long ago was that tdote30 ??

sproule905
01-04-2012, 01:58 PM
Just out of curiosity, how old are you kids? Also, for some reason maybe E36' are becoming the new civics in terms of insurance fraud....

SiR
01-04-2012, 02:12 PM
my insurance didnt even blink when i got full coverage on my e36...

screw an inspection and hassles about intakes lmao . what sillyness.

T.Dot_E30
01-04-2012, 02:19 PM
How long ago was that tdote30 ??

Bout 2 years ago, so I guess things could have changed.

lol, sort of defeats the purpose. you could have took pictures of someone else's silver E36 M3. I'm actually surprised that they let you take the pictures and send them in and didn't make you go to an authorized shop that takes the inspection pics.

LoL, that's true, I never thought of it, but it did have my plate number on it? I was just happy they were going to insure it over the phone and that i didn't have to do an inspection.

Just out of curiosity, how old are you kids? Also, for some reason maybe E36' are becoming the new civics in terms of insurance fraud....

Late 20s, Married, Living in Durham.

NOTORIOUS VR
01-04-2012, 03:57 PM
and they canceled the policy on me because i didnt change my BC license on time..

Regardless of what the reason for a cancellation, you're screwed if any insurance company ever finds out you have been canceled on. Just FYI.

Axxe
01-04-2012, 10:36 PM
Statefarm didn't ask for anything when I insured my car comprehensive.

noodles101
01-07-2012, 12:30 AM
one more question.. i think meloche monnex gives you discount if you are a university student..and i think thats why im 21 and only paying 168 dollars for full coverage...

BUT, are they going to jack up my premium after i graduate? lol..

Bullet Ride
01-07-2012, 08:52 AM
one more question.. i think meloche monnex gives you discount if you are a university student..and i think thats why im 21 and only paying 168 dollars for full coverage...

It's possible. Just ask them.

damameke
01-07-2012, 11:18 AM

Insurance company will raise its rate at every chance they can once the FSCO approves it...I dont recall any rate decrease for the last few years..and that is why its good to check around before your renewal..even though you have been a loyal client...

hockeyfan27
01-09-2012, 01:01 PM
...The whole idea behind the inspection is to prevent insurance fraud where people get a car insured and then make a claim for damages that existed before the insurance policy existed. Some people also have a tendency to insure cars that don't exist or that they never owned and then report them stolen and get a settlement. This just gives them a record of the general state of your car around the time the policy was enacted.

Companies will also use the process to collect information. Who brings the car in, are they a listed driver on the policy? Is the car brought to an inspection station in the region the car was reported to be operated in. Older cars are more likely to have pre-existing damage so that is why there are more frequent inspections requested. It is also procedure with many companies to demand an inspection when the vehicle owner or primary driver is under 30. (greater likelihood of performance mods) Inspections cost the company money, so that is why some don't do them at all. Some companies will accept a safety or even, as some already mentioned, just photos in place of an inspection.

Regardless of what the reason for a cancellation, you're screwed if any insurance company ever finds out you have been canceled on. Just FYI.

As inspections can lead to cancellation, you need to know a bit about the different types of cancellation. As 'Notorious VR' pointed out, you can get screwed. However, there are some cancellations that are worse than others.

Chargeable Cancellations are company imposed and can have a negative impact on your insurance record or driving record, vs non-chargeable cancellations such as when you request termination because you are selling your car, moving away etc...

The reason for cancellation alone is not what screws you. Having a gap in coverage because of a chargeable cancellation is what hurts. A cancellation for not payment alone isn't a huge problem as most companies will allow 1, maybe 2, on your record in a specified period of time (usu 2-5 yrs). But if you didn't get a replacement policy right away, then that cancellation for non pay can destroy a otherwise perfectly clean record

The length of the gap can also play a factor. Though a few companies rate for any gap (even just 1 day) due to a chargeable cancellation. Some companies treat a gap of less than 30 days differently than a gap which is longer.

"Misrepresentation" is the worst. Usually, this indicates you lied on an application or change request. Examples: Saying your dad is the primary driver when actually, you are. Claiming you don't drive to work, but you do. Registering your car in a rural area and saying that is your primary residence. Saying your car is 'completely stock', but it isn't. The insurance contract relies on a principle of "upmost good faith" between you (the insured) and the company (the insurer). If you break that faith, not even the mid-risk companies will touch you for at least 3 years.

"Non-compliance" or "Non-pay" can be a stumbling block to obtaining coverage with some companies, but not all. Often "Non-compliance" results from not submitting a requested document, not completing an inspection, etc... The reason you get a "non-pay" cancellation is self-explanatory.

"based on underwriting" can play a few roles; It is interchangeable with non-compliance (as non-compliance cancellations are based on the underwriting rules of the company). It can also be used in place of misrepresentation, depending on the severity of the situation. If you take your car to an inspection with an unreported CAI, you may get "based on underwriting". If it has a turbo, I'd expect a misrep, especially if you were specifically asked about modifications. I've also seen it used in cases where the drivers licences was suspended and the driver becomes aware of it through the insurance application process (which happens more often then you'd think).

Fact is, the truth ALWAYS comes to light. Even more so as technology and connectivity have progressed.

Your insurance history report is tied to your licence number. If you were ever listed on a policy as a driver, had a claim on a company/friends policy. It is going to show on your report (as well as theirs). The report all companies use (called an "AUTO PLUS") shows all previous policies and specifies why each was cancelled and on what date (in addition to previous claims, listed & excluded drivers, and vehicles insured in the past). If you are hoping that your last cancellation for non-payment will go unnoticed, give up. Not reporting a previous cancellation on a new application for insurance will earn you a cancellation for misrepresentation, which would suck exceptionally hard because if you had disclosed it upfront, it may not have made a difference anyways.

As always, I'm speaking generally here. If you want to know the specific details about your own policy, please contact your own agent or broker.

noodles101
01-09-2012, 01:43 PM
damn.... so how likely is it for td to find out that my old insurance canceled on me for not switching my license? lol.... :( fudge.

sproule905
01-09-2012, 01:49 PM
^ I wouldn't worry about it now that you are with TD. If anything, your rate will go down once you graduate. TD also recognizes if you have a professional designation, and discounts that!

noodles101
01-09-2012, 01:52 PM
^^ how much of a discount are u getting with ur designation? im studying for my cfa so i can take it next summer...lol

sproule905
01-09-2012, 02:15 PM
Not sure what mine went down to. But the wife's went from 130/ month to 89/ month.

They have never asked for any records, and I would never try to cheat the system, but its definitely a good deal. I was paying 78/ month on the 328is.

hockeyfan27
01-09-2012, 02:37 PM
^^ how much of a discount are u getting with ur designation? im studying for my cfa so i can take it next summer...lol

If they've already pulled your record, they already know. You may be OK provided the gap was short enough that they don't rate for it.

noodles101
01-09-2012, 02:38 PM
ya i didnt know my insurance was canceled... i found out because they didnt take the monthly premium out of my account..lol

the gap was about 4 ~ 5 days i didnt know i had no insurance..and drove around..

Dr. Flyview
01-10-2012, 05:37 PM
I don't see what the big deal is about the "gap".

parm
01-10-2012, 05:45 PM
I dont think they like modified cars, My cousin worked for TD monex. They gave me a hard time with the missing air bag from an after market wheel on my e34.

Quickid
04-11-2012, 04:35 PM
I'm switching to TD Monnex Meloche as well and they want me to take my 13 year old 323i to one of their inspections. So no problems with slightly lowered car? I have an intake too but I can easily replace it with stock airbox to avoid hassle.

They don't require inspection for the 2006 X5 and 2008 Z4M though.

noodles101
04-11-2012, 04:36 PM
my car is slightly lowred and they didnt say anything about it.

didnt open the hood.

just asked abut my aftermarket deck..and asked if i had any other sound system in the trunk..LOL ( didnt even open the trunk ) .

that was it.

Quickid
04-11-2012, 04:39 PM
Cool thanks.... I hope I get the same treatment :cool:

nadocaster
05-26-2012, 12:49 PM
Sorry to revive a month-old thread but I found this in a search and I will also have an inspection coming up with this insurer. TD Meloche Monnex has already threatened to cancel insurance on account of "modifications" because of a set of Bilsteins, until I described them as replacement parts.

But now I have to have the car inspected, which is mandatory for the 25-and-under set. Mostly not a problem, since the car is essentially stock, but it does come with a Scorpion catback exhaust and I'm not sure they will agree with the "replacement parts" argument.

I've been through these inspections before and know it's just a couple of 3/4 exterior shots etc., but I'm concerned that some fool at TD is going to see the shiny Scorpion tip and decide "omg illegal streetracing modz, cancel policy now."

Advice?

Quickid
05-26-2012, 01:25 PM
The inspection places are independent shops that are part of a network of inspection shops and they have no direct relationship to TD.

Basically, it will all depend on the person doing the inspection. Unless your exhaust is extremely loud, I think you'll be fine.

nadocaster
05-26-2012, 01:26 PM
Yeah, I get that- but don't they send the photos to TD?

Quickid
05-26-2012, 01:50 PM
They do but TD will only look if necessary. The shop will declare pass or fail right away.

nadocaster
05-26-2012, 01:51 PM
Solid. Okay- thanks for the help.

liquidc3lls
05-26-2012, 02:09 PM
Let me tell u something about meloche, i had a dent in my passenger door, eventually i had to take it in for the inspection, after snapping photos and what not, a week later meloche calls me telling me that my car is unsafe due to the dent, its a dent caused by PO its so minimal its pathetic, so with that said, they asked to have repaired, so i did, provided photo proof and an inspection, long story short i recieved a letter from meloche a registered letter notifying that my policy has been cancelled because the repair that was done is uneligable posed danger (a dent in the door a cosmetic issue)i can scan u this letter to show u and i still have the email log, just as a heads up try and get the car in an immaculate shape if u have any body damage its a fail, and dont go to apple auto glass they r retarded they know **** all about body work and will fail u!
All in all great rates but they can be serious cocksukers when they want to be!

zc911
05-26-2012, 05:29 PM
Years ago I had to take my civic for an inspection with those guys, got dropped like a hot potato but I had sparco seat, steering wheel and a bunch of other mods but those parts are what they blamed

hockeyfan27
05-28-2012, 02:29 PM
I don't see what the big deal is about the "gap".

If the gap is by your choice then most companies don't ding you for it.
If it is for a cancellation you didn't request, ie: for non-payment or non-compliance, then your record can be toast.
Apparently (and this not my research), If you have had a cancellation for non-payment in the last 12 months your probability of being in an at fault accident is almost 3 times greater then a driver who hasn't. One doesn't cause the other, but the co-relation exists in actuarial studies. The theory is that it speaks to your willingness to assume risk. If you don't check your mailbox for payment notices, you probably don't check your blind spot too often, either.

Sorry to revive a month-old thread but I found this in a search and I will also have an inspection coming up with this insurer. TD Meloche Monnex has already threatened to cancel insurance on account of "modifications" because of a set of Bilsteins, until I described them as replacement parts.

But now I have to have the car inspected, which is mandatory for the 25-and-under set. Mostly not a problem, since the car is essentially stock, but it does come with a Scorpion catback exhaust and I'm not sure they will agree with the "replacement parts" argument.

I've been through these inspections before and know it's just a couple of 3/4 exterior shots etc., but I'm concerned that some fool at TD is going to see the shiny Scorpion tip and decide "omg illegal streetracing modz, cancel policy now."

Advice?

Generally, most insurance companies will paint all modifications with the same brush. If you deal with a bank/direct writer the person you are talking to has a list of rules/guidelines to abide by and a call volume they must deal with. Exceptions take time so the easy answer is always "NO". If you want to talk to someone who is willing to take the time to get an exception made, you are likely best finding a broker or agent.

If you do get cancelled, get a new policy in place before the old one cancels, it will save you a PILE of headaches. I'd start shopping before your appointment so you don't feel panicked. Your lead question should be, "are you able to provide a quote for a car that is modestly or severely modified for performance or appearance. Don't give all your information get the price THEN drop a "BTW my car is supercharged" bomb. The agent/broker will feel like you have wasted enough of their time already and just say no.

The inspection places are independent shops that are part of a network of inspection shops and they have no direct relationship to TD.

Basically, it will all depend on the person doing the inspection. Unless your exhaust is extremely loud, I think you'll be fine.

Companies can request inspections for different reasons. How in depth they go will depend on the nature of the request.

They do but TD will only look if necessary. The shop will declare pass or fail right away.

Insurance companies pay for each & every inspection. I can't say for certain that they review each report, but I think it is a safe assumption that the report is always sent to the insurance company. I don't believe the shop makes the call, I know all of the companies I represent make the determination themselves, not the inspection station. I'm not 100% that applies to every company.

Let me tell u something about meloche, i had a dent in my passenger door, eventually i had to take it in for the inspection, after snapping photos and what not, a week later meloche calls me telling me that my car is unsafe due to the dent, its a dent caused by PO its so minimal its pathetic, so with that said, they asked to have repaired, so i did, provided photo proof and an inspection, long story short i recieved a letter from meloche a registered letter notifying that my policy has been cancelled because the repair that was done is uneligable posed danger (a dent in the door a cosmetic issue)i can scan u this letter to show u and i still have the email log, just as a heads up try and get the car in an immaculate shape if u have any body damage its a fail, and dont go to apple auto glass they r retarded they know **** all about body work and will fail u!
All in all great rates but they can be serious cocksukers when they want to be!

I've personally signed letters stating, "we need proof of repairs; pictures or reciepits" I've had to ask for pictures to verify the quality of the job, when initially receipts for $100 from canadian tire were submitted (for bondo, fiberglass and tremclad), but I've never had the policy or coverage cancelled because the repair didn't measure up. (and I've seen a few hack jobs) :eek:

There is really no reason to live in fear of these inspections. There are companies out there who happily accept cosmetic mods and even performance ones. However, these are considered on a case by base basis and if your car looks like it belongs in a video game and your abstract has more then 2 convictions or a recent accident, you are going to have a much harder time with it.