PDA

View Full Version : ix buying advice

AdrianL
12-27-2011, 12:30 PM
Have a 91 euro spec 318is it's perfect from the paint to the leather sports seats to the working OBC, so I know the cars quite well. I'll be looking at a 325ix coupe, which has me excited, what more should I take into account when buying the ix? I've got a cayenne and an Audi s4 so I have an understanding-ish of 4wd/awd. Tips would be great, as another diamtshwarz e30 coupe would look mighty fine!

propr'one
12-27-2011, 03:27 PM
My advice is good luck. There's less than 5 iX coupes in canada. And i'm looking to buy the one i sold last year back. Start looking in the US. Good luck, my iX was my favourite car for a long while.

Starsky
12-27-2011, 04:17 PM
Look very closely at the awd components as they are expensive to fix/replace.

I would skip an ix where regular (yearly) fluid changes have not been done on the transfer case, and both diffs.

Check the compression (as you would do anyway) but keep in mind that the ix block is different so more of a PITA if it needs an engine.

Check the front drive shaft boots for tears. Not a big job to fix, but again the driveshafts are difficult parts to find if they need replacing.

Do a jack test on the car to ensure that the transfer case is working.

Other than that, it should be very similar to your 318is and will have many of the same potential issues with rust and wear/maintenence items.

Ceeker
12-27-2011, 04:42 PM
transfer case, transfer case, transfer case...do jack test as suggested and make sure there are service records on fluid changes otherwise you could be in for a replacement.
Parts are NLA from the dealership and if available probably buy 2 cars for just the part.
Not all transfer cases go however; sometimes the front drive shaft spline strip and can be easily replaced for small change. no doubt price of the car will reflect condition and maintenance. also consider rust factor hiding behind the moldings typically behind the heal of the front fender and rockers as crap gets trapped and can easily hide rust.

noodles101
12-27-2011, 04:52 PM
omg i want a ix coupe. so rare. :(

proprone i believe u had the red ix for sale last year ? lol omg how i wanted it so bad LOL

Ceeker
12-27-2011, 05:00 PM
someone around the corner from me had a euro version -bone stock. standard steering, roll up windows -2 door red. He was literally a couple blocks from me. I haven't seen it in some time parked so possibly he may have moved out.

North
12-28-2011, 05:51 PM
ix coupe for sale here in halifax, lots of subtle things that don't match the year/model based on the pics in the ad though. Its too bad some people just don't care about these things

supernaught
12-30-2011, 12:49 PM
That ix in halifax is very suspect. Plastic bumpers with low rear arches on an 87? No skirts or flares? Coupe? Something smells fishy there. Trade him your 700 citation, maybe he'll bite. Looks like its in not bad shape, if not unusually high, even for an ix.