PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Performance Driving School Schedule

dble Trouble
12-20-2011, 07:12 PM
Hello all,

It is that time of the year again to start putting your schedules together to plan which events you are going to attend for the 2012 track season. Here is some help. We are running 3 Advanced Driving Schools (ADS) this year at the Grand Prix track at Mosport. These schools are for all levels of expertise at the track. We typically run 3 run groups. Beginner/Novice, Intermediate and advanced. This year we will have the added benefit of all of the improvements at Mosport, such as the new entrance which allows transporters and RV's to enter and exit the track at any time. The new larger paved lower paddock, and many larger easier to access view points throughout the track. This will be a great year. I'm looking forward to see all of you out whether you choose to participate, or spectate, come and say hi!

Beginner/Novice: If you've never been on track or have been but with no instruction, or have had an instructor just a handful of times you would be considered a beginner/novice Student.

Intermediate: If you've been to the track with formal instruction numerous times, and have a keen grasp of all of the typical rules, flags and protocol while at the track, and if you have fantastic car control, you would be considered an Intermediate Student.

Advanced: If you have completed at least 10 or more advanced driving schools, and demonstrated exemplary car control skills, have unwavering knowledge of flagging, heel and toeing, supreme car control skills, and a firm understanding and ability to explain all of the typical car control terms, such as lift throttle oversteer and such you would be considered an advanced student.

Dates:
April 26, 27, 28

May/June 31, 1, 2

October 4, 5, 6

Cost: Tentatively $499.00 H.S.T. incl.

Further information on SoBMW.ca (http://trillium-bmwclub.ca/content/advanced-driver-training)

There is a few added benefits of our ADS's. Aside from learning advanced driving techniques and skills, because we are an accredited driving school you get a tax receipt which can be used as a write off next year when you do your taxes as the fee is considered a tuition. That is upwards of a $225.00 return next year! Big savings!

If you have any questions please feel free to contact me at john_venditti@hotmail.com or Scott Paterson at scott097@hotmail.com.

Thank-you and we'll see you all this year at the track!

Remember, take it to the track!

Gleb
12-20-2011, 10:30 PM
Spread the word!

E30M42cab
12-20-2011, 10:40 PM
Should be a great year! I'm looking forward to seeing Mosport in the spring!

PM me or email me (scott097@hotmail.com) if you'd like to register or just to ask simple questions. You must be a Trillium Club member to participate, and you must be a member to participate in the 2012 Auto-X season. All registrations can be done online:

http://trillium-bmwclub.ca/

DIY
12-21-2011, 12:36 AM
this year me and trillium will be official :D I cant wait! i'm already gettin my car ready *th-up* .... let me rephrase that I've already started fixing the things I broke last Season lol RIP Power steering

E30M42cab
12-29-2011, 04:03 PM
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h179/e30m42cab/2lsfty9.jpg

thinair
01-01-2012, 08:49 PM
thread cleaned :)

I really should come out and do another school this year again. I miss the track...

DIY
01-03-2012, 12:31 PM
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h179/e30m42cab/2lsfty9.jpg

Lol yah and we should remove our mufflers and protest the sound limit, or gas prices by burning as much gas as we can!*rockout* .... What? I have to wait until April!*mumble*

dble Trouble
01-09-2012, 11:09 PM
Just got the word that we will also be running our Race School at the event on April 28th and 29th as we did last year. This is open to anyone who as participated as an advanced "A" Student in one of our schools, or equivalent. Once completed successfully, you will receive your provisional license to allow you to race in BMWCCA Sanctioned Club races. Once you have successfully completed 3 Club races, you can apply for your full on racing license to go BMW Club racing worldwide! However, if you just want to step your skills up another level, this is the right place to do it. Last year not one of our 30 participants applied for a provisional license, they used the elevated training to further their skill. A few were avid Solo 1, and 2 racers. The others were avid lappers and instructors! When I have more details, I'll provide them in a new post!

blotto649
01-22-2012, 09:27 PM
A little off topic, but how much more expensive is track rental at Mosport with all the changes going on there? $100 increase in the school fee over last year is quite the jump.

richie_s999
01-22-2012, 09:29 PM
A little off topic, but how much more expensive is track rental at Mosport with all the changes going on there? $100 increase in the school fee over last year is quite the jump.

$499 is the same as last year

dble Trouble
01-22-2012, 09:33 PM
There is no increase in the school fee from last year what so ever. The fee for the performance driving school is $499.00 taxes included, plus as usual we issue a tax receipt for your event fees.

The Race School which is entirely different is $599.00 taxes included. This is also the same fee as last year, which was the first race school ever held in Canada by the BMW Clubs.

Hopefully that clears things up.

To answer your other question, the price has gone up $800/day for a weekend day including Friday as a w/e. So for our 3 day events we're paying $2400.00 more. The club is soaking it up as a loss. It just means our break even point now is 5 more students than last year. We're really hoping for a banner year so we've decided to swallow it for now......

richie_s999
02-05-2012, 04:30 PM
Wow only what 11 weeks till first school???

dble Trouble
02-15-2012, 05:24 PM
Just letting everyone know that registration is now open for the Performance Driving School link here:

and the Race School link here: http://www.bmwccaclubracing.com/events/events.aspx

If you have any questions please feel free to email me at john_venditti@hotmail.com

Cheers,

John

doogee
02-15-2012, 07:22 PM
Happy to see it's labelled properly

"Club Race School at MOSPORT"

:)

E30M42cab
02-16-2012, 01:00 AM
Happy to see it's labelled properly

"Club Race School at MOSPORT"

:)

Damn straight!

richie_s999
02-16-2012, 06:14 AM
I am wondering if there is interest from some that want to come check out the school and see what its about.

Maybe I should be doing the tour/show people what the in-class sessions are like, let them try the skid pad a couple times and get them rides as a passenger with the instructors when they go out for their laps at the 1st school on April 28th and 29th?

This would be open to anyone who is not doing the school but would like to check it out

anyone interested? if there is interested people I will wait and do the June school so others can experience how amazing these events are.

Rampage
02-20-2012, 12:00 PM
Signed up!

No DDT this year?

dble Trouble
02-20-2012, 05:50 PM
Unfortunately no DDT performance driving school this year. The way the schedule worked out we either had early April which in our opinion was just to early and/or May which we're using for our Solo 1 Autocross/lapping day. Sorry, I hope this doesn't ruffle any feathers. However, if you would like to go to an associated school there is always Hanson International who runs only on the DDT. Derek Hanson, our chief instructor is the father of Peter Hanson who runs that school and Derek teaches in the classroom there. Cheers! See you at the track last weekend of April.

dble Trouble
02-20-2012, 05:52 PM
I am wondering if there is interest from some that want to come check out the school and see what its about.

Maybe I should be doing the tour/show people what the in-class sessions are like, let them try the skid pad a couple times and get them rides as a passenger with the instructors when they go out for their laps at the 1st school on April 28th and 29th?

This would be open to anyone who is not doing the school but would like to check it out

anyone interested? if there is interested people I will wait and do the June school so others can experience how amazing these events are.

*no-no* You'll be participating in the school so you won't have time to do what you want to do. But, we may have some volunteers available to do so in your place! *rockout*

richie_s999
02-20-2012, 10:36 PM
*no-no* You'll be participating in the school so you won't have time to do what you want to do. But, we may have some volunteers available to do so in your place! *rockout*

Trying to decide if I do April/June or June/sept. Either way I will at least organize it I guess

dble Trouble
03-20-2012, 11:32 PM
I just found out that our registrations are way up so far this year, and that the school is filling up faster than in years past. If you are planning on coming to the April School register sooner than later. 66 spots are available in total for the Advanced Driving School and 40+ spots for the Club Race School. So far over half are taken. If anyone has any questions please don't hesitate to email me john_venditti@hotmail.com

Cheers,

dble Trouble
04-13-2012, 09:47 PM
I thought it was time for an update given that our first event is two weeks today! Our race school registration is at 20, only 10 spots left. Our Advanced Driving school registration is at 48 with only 18 spots left!!! If you're planning on attending, I suggest you register as once all of the spots are filled, that's it. We do this to ensure a maximum number of cars on track at once so as not to have constant traffic jams!

Remember too, that you need time to get a tech inspection for your car prior to the event! Helmets are mandatory so if you don't have one you have only two weeks to secure one!

If you have any questions please feel free to email me john_venditti@hotmail.com.

Rubber side down!

Cheers!!!

dble Trouble
05-03-2012, 10:46 PM
I would like to take this time out to thank all of the participants, volunteers, instructors and organizers that together made this event one of the best ever. Thank-you all.
We had the highest attendance in years. Smooth registration, and flow all weekend, and best of all not one incident. That's saying a lot as there were over 140 different cars on track through the weekend. Awesome Job everyone.

Now onto our next event in less than 4 weeks!!!! June 1,2,3! See you all there!

John

dble Trouble
05-07-2012, 08:18 PM
I just checked our registration for the June 1-3 ADS at the Mosport GP track and :eek: it is filling up really quickly. We have room for 100 students/advanced lappers throughout the weekend. Plus an additional 60 or so instructors. If you're planning on coming and just hesitating don't, sign up now!

dble Trouble
05-13-2012, 08:25 PM
Here are a few questions that I've been asked lately via email, so I thought I'd post up some of the answers here just in case you had the same questions or was curious.

Yes we allow convertibles which offer factory rollover protection. So no e30's for example, but z3's with roll hoops and so on yes.

Yes our school is tax deductible. We are an accredited performance driving school, and as such, your fees are considered tuition.

No I do not own Trillium! (This one made me laugh actually) I am a volunteer, thats it. BMW Clubs Canada is a chapter of BMW Clubs International, Trillium is a chapter of Canada. As such, we have a voice at BMW AG. We are a group of BMW enthusiasts who enjoy getting together at many levels, from performance driving, to socials, to meets to cruises, car shows and the like.

Yes you have to be a member of the club to participate in our ADS (Advanced Driving Schools) The membership fees go towards insurance costs, administrative costs, Socials, and so on. Also, our group insurance for liability will only cover members as such all participants must be members.

No you DO NOT need to modify anything on your car to bring it to the race track. In actual fact, for beginners and novices stock is better as the limits of the car are far more predictable stock than if you have modified it. If it is modified that is okay too, but you don't NEED to modify your car to have fun.

As I get more or think of more I will post them for you all to know, Thanks!

PatrolOne
05-16-2012, 08:49 PM
I was thinking joining as a full member, and coming to the next ADS, but I looked at the form and realized that my M5 won't pass the same brand tire requirement. I have 275/35/18 toyos on the front and 285/30/18 PS2s on the back.

Is the same brand/same type a hard requirement? I don't want to spend $1000 for new front tires just so I can go...

dble Trouble
05-16-2012, 11:14 PM
The idea behind matching tires is the levels of available grip and predictability. Generally speaking, having different compounds equals uneven levels of grip front to back which drastically changes the dynamics of the car. It is up to our track chair and chief instructor to determine the viability of this option. It is always a good idea to have the same tires all of the way around your car.

dble Trouble
09-05-2012, 09:57 AM
The September ADS at Mosport is now sold out. If you were planning on attending but haven't registered please still contact our registrar and he will put you on a waiting list. If someone cancels last minute we may be able to fit you in provided you have a tech form filled out by a licenced mechanic ready.

A big Thank-you goes out to all of the volunteers and directors who put in a tonne of effort to get this event sold out 1 week prior to the event. That means 106 participant cars and 60+ instructors at the event this weekend.

If you want to come out and see what all of the excitement is please feel free to come by and visit.

kamus
09-12-2012, 12:14 AM
September 9th - E30 Love....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JNjo0_eMNg&feature=youtube_gdata

Please forgive the self-admiring, mostly true captions :D

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1JNjo0_eMNg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

kamus
09-12-2012, 07:31 AM
More E30 love from Mosport :)

http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153162

jabela
09-12-2012, 03:34 PM
My moment at turn 4 in the wet.
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/loWn7qgeOLk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

kamus
09-12-2012, 03:44 PM
^Nice - all looks nice and calm? How was it really??

jabela
09-12-2012, 03:50 PM
Yep, it was pretty calm and uneventful (thankfully!)

doogee
09-12-2012, 03:58 PM
Nice save! Are you sure you don't need some new seats? :P

davericher20
09-13-2012, 01:05 AM
Nice save! Are you sure you don't need some new seats? :P

cause they're soiled now? lololol. Nice save man. Turn 4 is one of my favourite, then it's turn 2, turn 8, turn 1, 10, 9, 5 .........:idea: I just love that ****in track.

jabela
09-13-2012, 11:44 AM
cause they're soiled now? lololol. Nice save man. Turn 4 is one of my favourite, then it's turn 2, turn 8, turn 1, 10, 9, 5 .........:idea: I just love that ****in track.
It's definitely a fun and challenging track. I can't wait to drive it in the dry.

davericher20
09-13-2012, 02:26 PM
were you not there for both days?

jabela
09-13-2012, 02:40 PM
were you not there for both days?
Nope, had to skip sunday due to work :(

EMPOWERD
09-13-2012, 03:39 PM
The last 2 sessions on Saturday were dry. Too bad you didn't get a chance to try it.

jabela
09-13-2012, 03:43 PM
It was mostly dry the last session I was on. It was great because I got just a taste of the dry track. Now I'm hooked!

richie_s999
06-02-2013, 10:00 PM
Finally got the chance this weekend to do my first school on Mosport Grand Prix track, and it was also the first chance to really push my project car.

The car performed well, and had an amazing time, I'd like to say a huge thanks to my instructor, I was taught and challenged by him, and got back into the groove of driving on the track quickly, with his help (it's been 2 years since I was on a track and first time on the GP track).

In class was also top notch instruction!!

Great weekend, weather and all!

davericher20
06-03-2013, 03:44 PM
Apart from the on and off rain showers, it was a great weekend. Between turn 9 and 10 my gopro suction mount came loose (from the crazy g-forces and my traction control was turned off :D) and fell in the grass so i didnt have any footage the entire weekend fcplm except for the 1st session.
I had changed instructors by the middle of sunday and it completely changed how I drove through a few corners so now I have to relearn (harder than it sounds) turn 3, 9 and 10.
Thanks Mr. Bertoya! (Sp?)

Does anyone have footage? Especially footage with my car in it? Green e30 wagon.

Bullet Ride
06-03-2013, 03:57 PM

Bertoja

BmW1819
06-03-2013, 08:42 PM
Did u find it? ? I seen u guys looking for something at turn 9 and 10
Yea great weekend other than rain i still get flash backs from last years crash in the rain sorry for holding everone up in the rain lol
And was surprised how well 10 year old tires held lol
See ya at the autocross ;-)

davericher20
06-03-2013, 09:55 PM
Did u find it? ? I seen u guys looking for something at turn 9 and 10
Yea great weekend other than rain i still get flash backs from last years crash in the rain sorry for holding everone up in the rain lol
And was surprised how well 10 year old tires held lol
See ya at the autocross ;-)

Yeah, found the pieces scattered over 30 feet. Guess it got run over. Need a new suction mount and a case, maybe a new camera haven't tried taking a video yet.
Were you in the red e30?

machiavelli
06-04-2013, 07:58 PM
Apart from the on and off rain showers, it was a great weekend. Between turn 9 and 10 my gopro suction mount came loose (from the crazy g-forces and my traction control was turned off :D) and fell in the grass so i didnt have any footage the entire weekend fcplm except for the 1st session.
I had changed instructors by the middle of sunday and it completely changed how I drove through a few corners so now I have to relearn (harder than it sounds) turn 3, 9 and 10.
Should be out for the BMW toronto day so I can practice what I learned.

Does anyone have footage? Especially footage with my car in it? Green e30 wagon.

Ah ha! I knew it was a GoPro mount. I spotted the suction cup on the track near the inside of 10 while doing my rounds. I hope this doesn't lead to a tightening of the rules around externally mounted cams; I just figured out how get a rear mounted cam to look like my rear view mirror in adobe premier.

Were you in B group? I still have to review my footage, but if so, I'll look out for you giving me a point-by :moon:

davericher20
06-04-2013, 08:05 PM
Ah ha! I knew it was a GoPro mount. I spotted the suction cup on the track near the inside of 10 while doing my rounds. I hope this doesn't lead to a tightening of the rules around externally mounted cams; I just figured out how get a rear mounted cam to look like my rear view mirror in adobe premier.

Were you in B group? I still have to review my footage, but if so, I'll look out for you giving me a point-by :moon:

It shouldn't, Ive never had a problem with the suction mount before, they are really solid. This time it might have been a hasty application on a dirty window....ah well.
Lol, the only point-by would be on the back straight buster!
B group.

machiavelli
06-04-2013, 08:24 PM
It shouldn't, Ive never had a problem with the suction mount before, they are really solid. This time it might have been a hasty application on a dirty window....ah well.
Lol, the only point-by would be on the back straight buster!
B group.

I'm sure you're right, it was my first time in B group.

richie_s999
06-06-2013, 11:01 PM
Anyone take pics of the cars on the track this weekend?

shengwei
06-27-2013, 03:33 AM
Which unfortunately inturn 's the reason I'd like to see the fact that delights during quite some years as just stated As i enjoy conditions, Amazing advantages my family, peanuts, regarding Feb Buy Runescape Gold (http://www.rsfarmer.com/)

davericher20
06-27-2013, 03:21 PM
Found some videos from non forum members

Frs?
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=1bBncYtxi2k&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D1bBncYtxi2k

190e
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=LNsojT4MiAo&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DLNsojT4MiAo

Anyone have any footage?

jabela
06-27-2013, 03:35 PM
Here's the non-mobile links that actually work.
http://youtu.be/1bBncYtxi2k
http://youtu.be/LNsojT4MiAo

davericher20
06-27-2013, 03:36 PM
Lol, thanks John

jabela
06-27-2013, 03:37 PM
anytime :P

BmW1819
06-27-2013, 08:25 PM
john u were at the june event?? blue e46

jabela
06-27-2013, 08:31 PM
john u were at the june event?? blue e46
Me? Nope, I wasn't there. It's Jon btw...

davericher20
06-27-2013, 08:42 PM
It's Jon btw...

I have decided to call you John. Yes, that will be your name.

Gleb
06-30-2013, 10:53 AM
Here's the non-mobile links that actually work.
http://youtu.be/1bBncYtxi2k

Who let THIS guy out on the track alone?! He sucks!

P.S. What happened to the E30, D?

doogee
07-01-2013, 01:51 PM

The club seems to be signing people off left and right, which ends up just being a big waste of money for people who want to learn something.

BigD
07-01-2013, 02:00 PM

I forged it!

Still got it, working on it, tuning it this weekend, then if it's still in one piece, it's time for testing on the track. Playing with the wife's BRZ for now (WGI this month, back to MoSport in Oct), under strict orders to bring it back in one piece. Got caught in a downpour during one session, it tried to swap ends on me a few times going down 4 and while trying to save it I was trying to come up with a good line that starts with "Baby, I'm sorry but..."

Where's yours?

Gleb
07-01-2013, 02:28 PM
How do you like the Toybaru?
Mine is still in pieces :(

BigD
07-01-2013, 02:53 PM
How do you like the Toybaru?
Mine is still in pieces :(

It's flawless, delivered 100% on everything we hoped for. Felicia just wanted a fun manual car. I offered her an E46 M3, Mustang GT etc, she said no way in hell. The 86 is fun and sporty but it's also quiet and comfortable as a daily driver.

It's also a perfectly balanced package on track. Everything is matched. It's not powerful, fast, grippy or hard braking. It's fast enough, grips well enough and brakes well enough (well, this part I want to improve a smidge with some ProjectMu HC+, the pads weren't the happiest with 2 days of non-stop action - being tagteamed by 2 people). If you added more power, you'd want more tire, if you added more tire, you'd want more suspension etc. And you'd just end up with another heavy fast car. This thing is just smiles - it won't make you poop yourself with crazy speed or pull your face off under braking or cornering, just make you smile with how well it listens to what you want to do.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still looking forward to unlimited power in the E30 but the BRZ made me remember how much fun a car like this can be. It's kinda like watching porn vs watching WB cartoons - the latter can be great too.

What's left to do on your E30? Plans/goals?

Gleb
07-01-2013, 02:58 PM
What's left to do on your E30? Plans/goals?

don't ask

So, with r-comps and pads the BRZ should be pretty good. Future track only car? :)
I bet the aftermarket support for it is going to be crazy.

BigD
07-01-2013, 03:09 PM
don't ask

So, with r-comps and pads the BRZ should be pretty good. Future track only car? :)

I just did! C'mon fess up.

Never. Whenever she sees me with a suspension kit, BBK, turbo kit, bodykit for the BRZ on screen, she reminds me that the car stays bone stock. But dreaming is fun! There are already people making mid 400s on it. This guy says it's the best breathing head of any Subaru (same turbo kit makes 100hp more than STI):

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/oLP-HCcX9as" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

karenthomas
08-02-2013, 01:40 AM
It's nature beautiful but car is the most beautiful thanks.