PDA

View Full Version : WTB: BMW Specilist Fan clutch Tool

Catsu
12-19-2011, 11:17 AM
Hello,

Looking to buy the BMW fan clutch tool for my E46 (MY02 - automatic)

If you like to sell yours please send me a PM. I can pick it up anywhere in the GTA.

Please and thanks

vintagez
12-22-2011, 05:21 PM
you just need a narrow 32mm open end wrench, a bicycle headset wrench will work as it is narrow, just slide it in and give it a tap with a hammer, it is a reverse thread so make sure you hit it the right way, no need to spend big dollars for the BMW tool, make sure it does not slip off, very easy

dcramer
12-22-2011, 10:13 PM
yeah, leave it in park so the engine can't turn and take up the slack in the fan belt, it will come off fairly easily

Eurostyle
12-23-2011, 03:50 AM
yeah, leave it in park so the engine can't turn and take up the slack in the fan belt, it will come off fairly easily

Having it in Park has NOTHING to do with stopping the engine from turning! FYI the torque convertor is all hydrolic, so no real pysical connection between trans/engine! (this is why you cant bump start an auto)*th-up*

Eurostyle
12-23-2011, 03:55 AM
Hello,

Looking to buy the BMW fan clutch tool for my E46 (MY02 - automatic)

If you like to sell yours please send me a PM. I can pick it up anywhere in the GTA.

Please and thanks

You dont need a BMW specific tool, get one from Princess Auto, they have a few styles, they are less then $20...find out what works for you and return the other. *wave*

dcramer
12-23-2011, 08:00 AM
Having it in Park has NOTHING to do with stopping the engine from turning! FYI the torque convertor is all hydrolic, so no real pysical connection between trans/engine! (this is why you cant bump start an auto)*th-up*

doh!

E30M42cab
12-23-2011, 10:34 AM
32mm wrench
+ GM fan clutch tool

http://www.princessauto.com/pal/product/8064479/Engine/GM-Clutch-Fan-Holder
(they sell a univeral fan clutch tool as well, which I have used for years)

A lot of the time if you can get the wrench on the clutch fan, a sharp strike on the wrench will knock the thing loose without even using the clutch tool. Reverse threaded, but you probably knew that.