PDA

View Full Version : Jack stands, ramp stands, etc.

gravyface
12-16-2011, 08:51 AM
So I just read this thread (http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showpost.php?p=21631982&postcount=16) and can't get it out of my mind: I'm thinking twice about using the Certified brand Canadian Tire 3-ton jacks I have after one of the guys calculated that it would only take 90 lbs of force to release the stand. They don't have the safety pins and from the site it doesn't look like any of them have a safety pin.

I bought those plastic ramps from Part Source that I can't even drive up with my e46 so I've been jacking it up from the lift points and placing the car on the ramp one wheel at a time. Feels really unsafe getting it up on that second ramp because all the weight is now on that first ramp; maybe I'm being paranoid.

I really like the idea of a ramp or a stacked solution (seen home brews that use interlocking, stacked 2x6s, but I'd rather have steel).

Besides getting a lift, what's some Canadian/USA made ramp stands you'd recommend?

SiR
12-16-2011, 09:48 AM
Im not a fan of running those adjustable jackstands at any raised height. its normal height is what I use. read way to many times of people knocking them down and dying. i just dont trust the design with no safety back up.

when you jack up the second side not all the weight is on that first ramp...your jack has most of that side you are on.

you can make some home made wood supports if you wish. no not cinder blocks(DONT EVER use that). wood is fine if dont properly. even 2x4's done right would work.
google around. they dont use wood for cribbing for no reason/or because its unsafe.

3x Beemer
12-16-2011, 10:11 AM
I have cut myself 4 10"x10" wood beams about 18 inches high to sit my car on, stable as can be

5style
12-16-2011, 11:24 AM
woooooooooood it up

InfiniteDice
12-16-2011, 11:29 AM
They should be fine. Firstly you need to apply upward pressure on the lever who is going to put 90lb of upward pressure on the bloody lever while under the car? Not me. :)

I've used the lever style supports for years, what I do is place the stand (lever down) and then let the stand take the load. I usually keep the jack in position at the lift point (unless I really need that space) to be there as a backup just in case. You can do the same as other people suggest and use some 4x4's or whatever.

When I did my rear subframe I but a few old tires/rims under the bottom of the spare wheel tub, and some 4x4's along the sides of the car. Worked fine and I felt safe.

slemmer
12-16-2011, 06:03 PM
Those plastic ramps are rated at 2500 lbs each. I've used them for my truck this year and love them compared to my 20+ yr old metal ramps. The adjustable ramps always recommend jack stands when getting under any vehicle.

propr'one
12-16-2011, 07:15 PM
I have the plastic ramps, i use them with both my e36's and my wife's suv.

marek
12-16-2011, 08:47 PM
The plastic ramps are great. I had a metal ramp colapse as I was driving my car onto it. It folded like a cheap lawn chair.

sproule905
12-17-2011, 10:59 AM
My buddy actually tests motor master parts and of course the jack stands. As he explains, he would not trust anything on the crappy tire jack stands

Dissembler
12-17-2011, 01:34 PM
I've used the canadian tire jack stands for years, had my car on them for 3 years straight actually. As long as they are setup correctly and used properly they are perfectly safe.

sproule905
12-18-2011, 11:00 AM
^

I was referring to the ones that will be on the sales floor in the near year.... My bad

rdc
12-22-2011, 10:41 AM
They should be fine. Firstly you need to apply upward pressure on the lever who is going to put 90lb of upward pressure on the bloody lever while under the car? Not me. :)

I've used the lever style supports for years, what I do is place the stand (lever down) and then let the stand take the load. I usually keep the jack in position at the lift point (unless I really need that space) to be there as a backup just in case. You can do the same as other people suggest and use some 4x4's or whatever.

When I did my rear subframe I but a few old tires/rims under the bottom of the spare wheel tub, and some 4x4's along the sides of the car. Worked fine and I felt safe.

+1
I use the stands and always leave the floor jack on the lifting point. I figure multiple independent supports are better than one.

I'll also shove a tire/rim or criss-crossed scrap 4x4's under the rocker panel. Better the car body gets crushed then me.

My parents next door neighbors kid was crushed to death working under his car last summer. It was pretty brutal.

Bullet Ride
12-22-2011, 01:43 PM
you can make some home made wood supports if you wish. no not cinder blocks(DONT EVER use that).

I agree that if possible you should avoid using concrete block as a means of supporting your car while you work on it, especially in the off chance that you're going to be wildly swinging a hammer while you're under there

That being said... I used concrete block and crappy tire stands at the same time when I did my suspension overhaul *smoke*

http://i575.photobucket.com/albums/ss191/StevoM5/325i/DSC01609.jpg

SiR
12-23-2011, 10:05 AM
at least you have stands there.

I wouldnt go under it otherwise.

Bullet Ride
12-23-2011, 11:58 AM
at least you have stands there.

I wouldnt go under it otherwise.

pffft where's your sense of adventure. It's more of a rush working on your car knowing it might kill you.

8" block has around 2000psi compressive strength anyway so using 2 blocks to hold a portion of the weight of a car that only weighs 2800lbs isn't a huge risk for me personally.