PDA

View Full Version : took the m3 tracking! need tips

tkordy
12-13-2011, 01:28 AM
Hey, i took the M3 on the track need some tips.. it was my first time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mn3VQX6lZa0&list=UUqODnDpzb3OUGMlgbLAvt5g&feature=plcp

richie_s999
12-13-2011, 06:48 AM
OMG, seat position, your leaning forward and the seats not supporting your shoulders and your moving all over, and you have one hand on the wheel most of the time!!!

OK over the winter, Ross Bently's Secrets of Speed books, can order from chapters, next spring, contact your local BMW club about advanced driving schools, or another car club that gives proper lessons and education on how to drive

Oh and check your helmets have the proper rating for being used in a car on the track, look like Bike helmets

dcramer
12-13-2011, 08:52 AM
sunroof appears to be open ?

T.Dot_E30
12-13-2011, 09:53 AM
I'm not an expert, but....

Please attend a driving school and make sure you go out with an instructor next time.

So many things to point out, but the one that annoyed me the most is that you seem to think your in fast and the furious, keep your hand off the shifter and no need to change gears so much, several turns you were flip flopping thru gears, down-shift, then up-shift mid turn and a few times before the turn you up-shift, then put it in natural then up-shift again? ....pick a gear.

Kick the passenger out, he's a distraction.

SiR
12-13-2011, 10:23 AM
looks like a gino racing through tims parking lot in a vw...
lol your seating position is bad. plus other thigns pointed out.
you also dont need to shift like you are running a 1/4 mile.

damameke
12-13-2011, 10:27 AM
"kick the passenger out"

I thought he was the instructor

craz azn
12-13-2011, 10:37 AM
I was writing a huge reply, then erased it because really, what difference would it have made... Although, I do have to add, this is exactly why I hate attending the stereotypical lapping day because of people like this. No clue and already on cloud 11 at Hero status. fcplm

T.Dot_E30
12-13-2011, 10:39 AM
"kick the passenger out"

I thought he was the instructor

Instructors don't hold cameras and show things to the driver making him take his eyes off the track.

Mystikal
12-13-2011, 12:16 PM
I saw one hand on the wheel for a full turn-in-to-exit sequence and closed the window.

Dude, driving school. You'll be much happier.

davericher20
12-13-2011, 12:35 PM
Instructors don't hold cameras and show things to the driver making him take his eyes off the track.

+1, and if he was an instructor, god help us all. That guy would have been fired a long time ago.

Looks like a JRP lapping day. :D

I watched your video for 20 seconds (and then immediately closed it cause it was ridiculous) and found at least 5 mistakes.

If my passenger had a camcorder in my face I would be pulling off right away and kicking his sorry ass out.
Don't shift in the middle of a corner
Don't treat the shifter like it's a bad dog pulling on the leash. It needs to be smooth.
Don't shift so much. Remember to pick one gear when you're in a corner.
Both hands on the wheel at ALL times. You're not cruising the strip lookin to pick up 18 year olds. Don't be so non-chalant. But don't be tense either.
Adjust the seat so you look like a 42 year old asian lady driving the car.
I always bust my friends balls who drive like Ginos with their gangsta lean back in the rear seats and one hand on the wheel. How do you drive like that? They can't even reach the top of the steering wheel!!???
Going to the track is serious business, treat it like it's serious.

I give you props though for posting it looking for advice. Like Rudy said Most people will just think they're God now because they've been on the track and they don't need advice from anyone. You have that going for you.
Next time go with someone (with at least 5 years experience) as a passenger first to find out what they do. And don't be intimidated if you've never met them, you'll find most of the time they'll be accomodating and will be glad to give you tips.
But most importantly, go to a driving school.
Hope that helps

jaym3smg
12-13-2011, 02:38 PM
+1, and if he was an instructor, god help us all. That guy would have been fired a long time ago.

Unless he was with Image Motorsports or CSCS...

Looks like a JRP lapping day. :D

Or them :)

I watched your video for 20 seconds (and then immediately closed it cause it was ridiculous) and found at least 5 mistakes.

If my passenger had a camcorder in my face I would be pulling off right away and kicking his sorry ass out.
Don't shift in the middle of a corner
Don't treat the shifter like it's a bad dog pulling on the leash. It needs to be smooth.
Don't shift so much. Remember to pick one gear when you're in a corner.
Both hands on the wheel at ALL times. You're not cruising the strip lookin to pick up 18 year olds. Don't be so non-chalant. But don't be tense either.
Adjust the seat so you look like a 42 year old asian lady driving the car.
I always bust my friends balls who drive like Ginos with their gangsta lean back in the rear seats and one hand on the wheel. How do you drive like that? They can't even reach the top of the steering wheel!!???
Going to the track is serious business, treat it like it's serious.

ALL this!

I give you props though for posting it looking for advice. Like Rudy said Most people will just think they're God now because they've been on the track and they don't need advice from anyone. You have that going for you.
Next time go with someone (with at least 5 years experience) as a passenger first to find out what they do. And don't be intimidated if you've never met them, you'll find most of the time they'll be accomodating and will be glad to give you tips.
But most importantly, go to a driving school.
Hope that helps

And this. Make sure the person instructing you has some experience outside of this type of lapping day too. An instructor from BMW CCC or similar would be good. Not just someone who has the title of instructor because his buddy is running the event. There are guys who have been going to the track for many years but have no clue how to drive.

-J

jaym3smg
12-13-2011, 02:44 PM
And for the love of god, do NOT put your parking brake on after coming off the track! Your brakes are extremely hot, the brake will at the very least leave a deposit on the rotor, at worst you won't be able to take the parking brake off.

-J

tkordy
12-13-2011, 03:22 PM
they let us go with no instructor or anything.. Was my first time, just wanted to try it out lol. Guess there is lots of mistakes you just dont notice at the time until you review the video.

dcramer
12-13-2011, 03:28 PM
first time is always intimidating, lots of stuff to learn. Kudos to having the balls to post this to the forum, this forum has no mercy.

damameke
12-13-2011, 05:13 PM
forum has no mercy but pointers/suggestions were valuable..
time for me to go to track school in the summer

one think that puts me off track/advance school is
I dont drive stick, and I cant imagine not being able to downshift
before the turn..am I over thinking?

sorry for the hijack...

cormier
12-13-2011, 05:28 PM
Good for you for posting man, everything's already been said :)

Some people come with autos but manual obviously gives you more control

You can still benefit a huge deal especially at the start even driving an auto minivan

dcramer
12-13-2011, 05:41 PM
you are over thinking. One less thing to think about.

Dave

craz azn
12-13-2011, 05:44 PM
forum has no mercy but pointers/suggestions were valuable..
time for me to go to track school in the summer

one think that puts me off track/advance school is
I dont drive stick, and I cant imagine not being able to downshift
before the turn..am I over thinking?

sorry for the hijack...

Yeah you are overthinking it. You still learn a HUGE deal, just about everything else still applies. The biggest thing you learn is how to use your senses to guide you. You can't feel a car if you sit awkwardly... you can't feel and respond as quickly if you have a deathgrip on the controls.... you are going to be distracted by the jackass beside you waving a camera in your face instead of focusing ahead and reading what is coming in front, and around you while on track.

dble Trouble
12-13-2011, 08:00 PM
Yes this forum has no mercy.............but WOW!

I've said it tonnes of times before, and I'll say it again. For all of you out there that have never been to the track but want to go, for the love of god, the first time should ALWAYS be with a certified driving school with a curriculum, in class, and instructor shotgun 100% of the time. Then at least you have the basics to go to a lapping day. But don't just go to a lapping day to see what it's about without knowing anything first. Ideally, you go to a performance driving school and graduate through the ranks from beginner/novice, to intermediate, to advanced before going to a lapping day.

Cheers,

John

dbworld4k
12-13-2011, 08:09 PM
LOL! @ the CSCS/JRP comments, bahahahha. Private lapdays FTW.
I saw one hand on the wheel for a full turn-in-to-exit sequence and closed the window.

Dude, driving school. You'll be much happier.

Did the exact same after watching the first turn. Lol.

dble Trouble
12-13-2011, 08:22 PM
LOL! @ the CSCS/JRP comments, bahahahha. Private lapdays FTW.

Did the exact same after watching the first turn. Lol.

fcplm

BMWdouche
12-13-2011, 09:32 PM
My 2 cents.

I'm fairly new to the "track-scene" and my first time was in the pouring wet at Cayuga. It was absolutely BRUTAL.. I didn't even hold the racing line the first few laps just scared shitless of the car twitching in the rain. I went out in a C63 AMG with a guy named Barry... good enough to be an instuctor.. and immediately I was TONS better.. I learned that it's all about being smooth (the video was jerky as hell but the first time is always embarassing)

Looking at my video tapes of the laps it was a night and day difference from the first few laps to the last few, so give the guy a break.

Even on my second stint at the Mosport DDT track I did the "one-hand" driving technique because I was unsure how to gear the car appropriately. The only thing that will help is experience... the more you get.. the better you will be.

I made fun of my friend (a member who shall rename unamed) of looking like a dumbass up close to the steering wheel.. he was visually much better at keeping the car in control than me (I don't have a gangsta lean, and keep my seatback straight but could've been a little closer to the wheel so I wasn't stretching)

dble Trouble
12-13-2011, 09:47 PM
My 2 cents.

I'm fairly new to the "track-scene" and my first time was in the pouring wet at Cayuga. It was absolutely BRUTAL.. I didn't even hold the racing line the first few laps just scared shitless of the car twitching in the rain. I went out in a C63 AMG with a guy named Barry... good enough to be an instuctor.. and immediately I was TONS better.. I learned that it's all about being smooth (the video was jerky as hell but the first time is always embarassing)

Looking at my video tapes of the laps it was a night and day difference from the first few laps to the last few, so give the guy a break.

Even on my second stint at the Mosport DDT track I did the "one-hand" driving technique because I was unsure how to gear the car appropriately. The only thing that will help is experience... the more you get.. the better you will be.

I made fun of my friend (a member who shall rename unamed) of looking like a dumbass up close to the steering wheel.. he was visually much better at keeping the car in control than me (I don't have a gangsta lean, and keep my seatback straight but could've been a little closer to the wheel so I wasn't stretching)

I want to say two things. One, you've just proven my point right. If you're going to go to the track, it makes way more sense to attend a driving school to teach you the dos and don'ts and the proper technique rather than just winging it.

The Second thing is you're dead wrong about experience. If you go to the track a thousand times, but have never had any formal training, as well as teaching you the protocol about behaviour, passing, and general track knowledge such as flagging, sightlines etc, then you are more dangerous than a newbie because all you have is a lot of laps to hone your poorly developed driving skills, rather than the newbie which is scared shitless so is more timid. What is wrong with taking a school first? I don't get it. Simple economics. Anyone who has taken even one school has the basic fundamentals to go to a lapping day with confidence. Why do all of the newbies want to go lap first and be unsafe and embarrassed. Schools are NOT intimidating contrary to what you may think. Many a member here I've seen at the Trillium driving schools and all have said, it's not what they thought it would be but much better............Remember, I'm not here about preaching. It's all about safety, yours and mine if I'm on track with you at the same time.

BMWdouche
12-13-2011, 10:05 PM
I want to say two things. One, you've just proven my point right. If you're going to go to the track, it makes way more sense to attend a driving school to teach you the dos and don'ts and the proper technique rather than just winging it.

The Second thing is you're dead wrong about experience. If you go to the track a thousand times, but have never had any formal training, as well as teaching you the protocol about behaviour, passing, and general track knowledge such as flagging, sightlines etc, then you are more dangerous than a newbie because all you have is a lot of laps to hone your poorly developed driving skills, rather than the newbie which is scared shitless so is more timid. What is wrong with taking a school first? I don't get it. Simple economics. Anyone who has taken even one school has the basic fundamentals to go to a lapping day with confidence. Why do all of the newbies want to go lap first and be unsafe and embarrassed. Schools are NOT intimidating contrary to what you may think. Many a member here I've seen at the Trillium driving schools and all have said, it's not what they thought it would be but much better............Remember, I'm not here about preaching. It's all about safety, yours and mine if I'm on track with you at the same time.

I should've refined my post... yes you are right that gaining experience with incorrect skills is dangerous..

By experience I meant getting more track time as well as educating yourself and getting instruction.

I 100% intend on taking some form of driving training this coming summer. Need to do my research on whats available out there.. anyone have any ideas of what/where/how much?

dbworld4k
12-13-2011, 10:08 PM
fcplm

What?

I know proper instructional DT courses are obviously the way to go :rolleyes:. My comment regarding "private lapdays FTW" was with respect to not having to share the track with "stupid" people that could be endangering others.

dble Trouble
12-13-2011, 10:11 PM
Yup to BMWdouche, here you go:

I'm on the board of directors for The BMW Club of Canada Trillium Chapter. We hold 3 two day weekends every year at the Grand Prix track at Mosport. Our confirmed dates are: April 28 and 29 that's Saturday and Sunday.

Second event is: June 2 and 3 again Saturday and Sunday

Third event is : September 8 and 9 again Saturday and Sunday

Cost is $499, taxes included for both days. 2 hours each day on track, 2 hours each day in a classroom with official instruction and about an hour each day on the skidpad but more if you wish to hone your skills. Plus since we are the only Officially accredited performance driving school in Canada, you get a tax receipt and can deduct the fees as tuition on next years taxes, returning on average $150 each. You won't get better bang for your buck anywhere at the GP track! Plus catered dinner saturday pm, and a track walk with famed head instructor Derek Hanson.

dble Trouble
12-13-2011, 10:14 PM
What?

I know proper instructional DT courses are obviously the way to go :rolleyes:. My comment regarding "private lapdays FTW" was with respect to not having to share the track with "stupid" people that could be endangering others.

Oh, I thought you were referring to the JRP/CSCS days are the winners! But I will say even on those private lapping days, you may know everyone as your "buddy" but that doesn't mean they necessarily won't do something stupid. One of my closer friends spun his Integra in front of me at Shannonville.

dbworld4k
12-13-2011, 10:36 PM
LMFAO @ JRP/CSCS as winners. That made my day John, hahaha. And yes, there is always that chance, but it's logical to assume that it will be minimized when you know the capabilities of the people you are out with. There are always outliers to any estimate of a situation.

dble Trouble
12-13-2011, 10:39 PM
Trudat

dcramer
12-14-2011, 06:28 AM
Yup to BMWdouche, here you go:

I'm on the board of directors for The BMW Club of Canada Trillium Chapter. We hold 3 two day weekends every year at the Grand Prix track at Mosport. Our confirmed dates are: April 28 and 29 that's Saturday and Sunday.

Second event is: June 2 and 3 again Saturday and Sunday

Third event is : September 8 and 9 again Saturday and Sunday

Cost is $499, taxes included for both days. 2 hours each day on track, 2 hours each day in a classroom with official instruction and about an hour each day on the skidpad but more if you wish to hone your skills. Plus since we are the only Officially accredited performance driving school in Canada, you get a tax receipt and can deduct the fees as tuition on next years taxes, returning on average $150 each. You won't get better bang for your buck anywhere at the GP track! Plus catered dinner saturday pm, and a track walk with famed head instructor Derek Hanson.

Sweet, marked in my calendar already!

Dave

tkordy
12-15-2011, 03:11 PM
defs some good advice thankyou! im going to try and get an instructor next time i go. *uzi*