PDA

View Full Version : Just did my first oil change

gravyface
12-10-2011, 06:53 PM
changed the air filter and cleaned the MAF sensor with MAF cleaner. Definitely feel smoother throttle/acceleration, but could be the manly man adrenaline pumping through my (pale, office worker) body.

Baby steps, but next up is to change the serpentine belt and all the belts on my e30 318iS (which will be up for sale soon).

Really feels good to get my hands dirty and do something in Real Life TM in comparison to all the "virtual" accomplishments under my belt as an IT professional.

Probably being a drama queen, but man, feels good. *rockout*

Ceeker
12-10-2011, 09:04 PM
there is no serpentine belt on an e30 318is. you have a chain. but you can do the drive belts. and replace all your vacuum lines for the m42 engine. highly recommended.

Blackedout95
12-10-2011, 09:32 PM
Probably being a drama queen, but man, feels good. *rockout*

Nah, just a queen :D

gravyface
12-10-2011, 11:40 PM
there is no serpentine belt on an e30 318is. you have a chain. but you can do the drive belts. and replace all your vacuum lines for the m42 engine. highly recommended.

Serpentine on the e46. *th-up*

Timing chain wasn't done that long ago.

gravyface
12-10-2011, 11:41 PM
Nah, just a queen :D

Garage queen? *wave*

330Hi
12-10-2011, 11:43 PM
You call oil gravy? :P

Blackedout95
12-11-2011, 12:15 AM
Garage queen? *wave*

I don't know if that is much differnt, think about it LOL

magnus
12-11-2011, 02:39 PM
make sure you change the tensioner. Cheap and good fix. And if i was you i would get someone to do the timing on it as you can get some extra Bhp from it . Do a search and you ll find tons of info

Ceeker
12-11-2011, 03:19 PM
Serpentine on the e46. *th-up*

Timing chain wasn't done that long ago.

ah ok...lol it's just your sentence flowed into the next. good man!

gravyface
12-13-2011, 08:16 AM
Had a bit of fun Monday morning starting up the car for the first time since Saturday night.

CEL came on, rough start/idle, limp mode. Re-assembled the air box, filter, MAF, etc. still running really rough.

Hit up three garages around my place and nobody could fit me in, not even to pull a code, but when I started up the car at the last place, CEL was still on but running fine. Drove fine after that for the 15-20km commute to the office and back.

Did I not drive the car long enough for the MAF/DME to re-calibrate after the cleaning? It's 7KM from my office/shop to my house.

I was uber-careful when cleaning the MAF: I used the Gunk MAF cleaner, completely saturated the MAF on the inside, let it evaporate on paper towel for a good 15-20 minutes so that there was no visible moisture on it when I put it back in; drive home Saturday was fine.