PDA

View Full Version : What are your thoughts on the I8 concept?

1bmw1
12-04-2011, 09:26 PM
Just wondering what your guys opinions are on this car.

I kinda like the "supercar" look to it, but it being a hybrid without any real power is kind of decieving.

cormier
12-04-2011, 09:34 PM
I think it looks a little weird lol

dble Trouble
12-04-2011, 10:34 PM
I don't mind how it looks, but it's all going to matter on how it drives. If it is another over weight, under performer in terms of handling, and so on and caters to the douche market rather than the enthusiast market, then it doesn't matter, 'cause it will be a fail before it is released. Anyone remember the 850? IMO great looking car but no real substance compared to it's competitors of the time. M1 same deal. Either make a super car which they can, or don't bother these half attempts.

1bmw1
12-04-2011, 10:53 PM
I don't mind how it looks, but it's all going to matter on how it drives. If it is another over weight, under performer in terms of handling, and so on and caters to the douche market rather than the enthusiast market, then it doesn't matter, 'cause it will be a fail before it is released. Anyone remember the 850? IMO great looking car but no real substance compared to it's competitors of the time. M1 same deal. Either make a super car which they can, or don't bother these half attempts.

I know what you mean. However if your definition of "douche market" is rich and snobby which i think you are implying, then there was always a douche market in the BMW scene. Beleive it or not, even when E30's were brand new back in the day, many were bought by the rich, or by the upper-middle class. I think it's now(2011) where some bmw's(3 series in particular) are starting to finally taper off, leaving these bmw's to be more affordable and more at par with other makes, ie: Benz, Lexus, Acura. That being said, there were always enthusiasts as well!*th-up*

I know that this car is extremely light being all carbon and aluminum, so all that's missing is the power :( All show and no go?

dble Trouble
12-04-2011, 11:55 PM
Rich and snobby believe it or not doesn't bother me. One day I plan to be rich, maybe not snobby but rich. I do not hate on those who have more than me, I just aspire to be there too. Those i call douches are those that buy the brand just to say they bought the brand and really don't appreciate what these cars are all about. I know, that covers 99% of those who own and drive bimmers. I bought mine because i wanted a rwd, manual transmission, light weight 4 passenger. In other words i was going to track it and dd it and take my kids to school in it and not pay a premium to maintain it. I got what I wanted in all of my e36's and e30's! It's kind of like those women who have to have the Coach bags, DC glasses, and so on. Or anyone for that matter stuck on brand name anything. So fake, so trying to be something they are not and so on.....

But we digress in my rant, I wouldn't even mind if the I8 had low power if it was under 3000 lbs, because it would still be quick, and it would have lightning like reflexes, and braking would be top notch etc. Yes there are enthusiasts too, and those are the ones I respect. Now I've been accused in the past of hating on anything BMW new. I have been very misunderstood. I do believe Bimmers are still some of the best machines on the road year to year, but they have been straying from what has made them awesome in the past and losing some of their verve. Most of that is in the weight, and softness of the tuning in suspension, steering, and luxo features. I wish the M brand still supported the real enthusiasts, and then I wouldn't mind that main stream bimmmers have gone soft towards the benz/lexus crowd. Those brands are about luxury not performance, regardless of what any keyboard warrior tries to say. They are heavy, auto only cars graced with a lot of hp which does not make performance cars simply drag racers. The M brand imo should provide M3's with no nav, no sunroof, no leather, no heated seats/mirrors/lights, no run flats, no creature comforts other than the basics like pw, pl, a/c, tilt, and that's about it. Then chg $10g less for it! IMO, they would sell more product that way. Hey, I might even buy one! ........rant tbc!

Axxe
12-05-2011, 12:06 AM
Doesn't stir any interest here.

SickFinga
12-05-2011, 12:08 AM
Anyone remember the 850? IMO great looking car but no real substance compared to it's competitors of the time.

Just wondering what competitors had more substance?

dble Trouble
12-05-2011, 12:20 AM
Ferrari, Porsche, even Corvette. Now I know many will say those aren't competitors, but they were all in similar price bracket, others had more performance and the euro ones had more cachet and resale value. The Corvette, although I'm not a fan, always makes a case for itself on a bang for the buck scale.

SickFinga
12-05-2011, 05:29 AM
Ferrari, Porsche,

Since you brought up Ferrari and Porsche in the same sentence as a 1989 BMW it seems to me that E31 was a success because BMW was not even competing with those brands

even Corvette.

E31 is a luxury GT, Corvette is a sports car.

Similar cars of that era would be Jaguar XJS, Mercedes SEC/S Class Coupe/CL, Lexus SC

Now I know many will say those aren't competitors, but they were all in similar price bracket,

Porsche 928GTS would be in a similar price bracket, but Corvette, since you brought it up, was half the price of a the cheapest E31 and Ferrari 426 was twice the price of the most expensive E31.
So no, not really the same price bracket.

others had more performance and the euro ones had more cachet and resale value.

More performance than what? 840? 850? 850CSi? And again what others?
I'd like to see a car that can even compete with the resale value of the CSi model. It puts to shame every cars that was even mentioned in this thread.

noodles101
12-05-2011, 09:45 AM
how much is will this thing gunna be?

i watched the bmw ultimate driving machine documentary couple weeks ago... and the bmw spokesman said i8 and i3 will drive like a ' true bmw' ...lol

kinda disappointed , thought it was going to be like a v12 twin turbo ferrari killa.

sproule905
12-05-2011, 09:49 AM
Could be a great perv car is a female drives one in a mini...

noodles101
12-05-2011, 09:52 AM
^^ LOL yea. plus definitely not a car for fat middle aged men..LOL ppl can see their beer bellys from the side haha

sproule905
12-05-2011, 09:59 AM
I just dont understand why they don't make a hybrid out of an actual hybrid car?

Toyota finally made the Camry hybrid out of an existing Camry - kudos.

the Worst was that Civic Hybrid with the stupid rear wheel covers..

When will these company's just make a true hybrid out of an existing model. Its just annoying

davericher20
12-05-2011, 01:01 PM
sickfinga, porsche dominated the sportscar market in that price range at that time, noone wanted a 8 series, everyone wanted a porsche.

SickFinga
12-05-2011, 04:27 PM
I just dont understand why they don't make a hybrid out of an actual hybrid car?

Toyota finally made the Camry hybrid out of an existing Camry - kudos.

the Worst was that Civic Hybrid with the stupid rear wheel covers..

When will these company's just make a true hybrid out of an existing model. Its just annoying

Do you mean like the ActiveHybrid line they have?
http://www.bmw.com/com/en/active_hybrid/overview.html

or a fully electric Active E?
http://www.bmw.com/com/en/newvehicles/1series/activee/2011/showroom/index.html

or a Hydrogen 7?
http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/technology/efficient_dynamics/phase_2/clean_energy/bmw_hydrogen_7.html

Sure Active E and Hydrogen 7 only available to limited number of customers for leasing only, but what other manufacturer offers this many "green" cars?

propr'one
12-05-2011, 04:32 PM
vlad, you just saved me a bunch of typing. Do you have waffles.fm?

dble Trouble
12-05-2011, 05:54 PM
Since you brought up Ferrari and Porsche in the same sentence as a 1989 BMW it seems to me that E31 was a success because BMW was not even competing with those brands

E31 is a luxury GT, Corvette is a sports car.

Similar cars of that era would be Jaguar XJS, Mercedes SEC/S Class Coupe/CL, Lexus SC

Porsche 928GTS would be in a similar price bracket, but Corvette, since you brought it up, was half the price of a the cheapest E31 and Ferrari 426 was twice the price of the most expensive E31.
So no, not really the same price bracket.

More performance than what? 840? 850? 850CSi? And again what others?
I'd like to see a car that can even compete with the resale value of the CSi model. It puts to shame every cars that was even mentioned in this thread.

Wow, sick did I hit a sore spot with you? Haha. Don't let me get started here. No.........I will, I'm just with my kids now, when I have time I have a model for every single one of your arguments, just no time now.