PDA

View Full Version : I spun out on a DVP ramp yesterday

CoreyC
12-03-2011, 09:26 PM
Walked away fine. Insurance will deal, less my $1K deductible. Have the car at Prochilo Bros.

Hopefully all's well that ends well!

Quite the experience!! :) Hit some water on the ramp, as I was shifting into 3rd.

Bumped the left rail (you can see where in one pic), caromed 360 right, and then got perched (beyond me how that happened!).

Please, laugh with me at not at me! *th-up* Got charged with a careless, that I plan to go and plea down at the court.

I just want my baby back! I got 2 pc DPE's I want to put on my ride for next spring.

dbworld4k
12-03-2011, 09:38 PM
Ouch. Take it to European Autobody asap.

CoreyC
12-03-2011, 09:41 PM
Well, it's at Prochilos now. They are certified by Downtown BMW. I researched and they seem solid. Do you know otherwise? My insurance appraiser will be there Monday. I don't have much time then, to relocate the car... their shop had many bimmers in it as I saw yesterday...

Steve30
12-03-2011, 09:44 PM
Damn, DVP is notorious for water build up. My bro wrote off his civic near the bayview-bloor exit in August. It was raining pretty hard and he was on his way to work when he went through a big puddle. He ended up hydroplaning and straight into the concrete barrier.

CoreyC
12-03-2011, 09:46 PM
One reason I'm asking too - if anyone knows about Prochilos, is that while this is being sorted, I'm also thinking about going out of pocket for a hood repaint, M3 reps side mirror colour match, and a general clay/paint restore.

If I have my car at the wrong spot, please tell me!! Thanks all!!

CoreyC
12-03-2011, 09:48 PM
Steve, that sucks bro! But dam, I love your sig!

Steve30
12-03-2011, 09:52 PM
Thanks. The funny thing is about an hour later they closed the DVP due to excessive water build-up...

1bmw1
12-03-2011, 09:57 PM
Wow, sorry to see, but i'm glad you're here and you were able to dust yourself off. That's all that matters.

I agree with the top poster. Take it to European Autobody.*th-up*

CoreyC
12-03-2011, 09:57 PM
Steve - you know that? About the DVP being closed? This happened to me at 12 pm yesterday. I'm going to go to court to settle the careless they dropped on me. I'm happy to plead it down - can't be bothered to set a trial date and such, because the cop was freaking solid!. But knowing they closed the DVP, and details (do you know where online I could find the details?), would help me sell my case. Thanks bro!

CoreyC
12-03-2011, 10:01 PM
Question to all - how can I intervene now and get my car taken over to see Rich at European? I was flustered obviously! I will have to talk to my broker. Do I need to pay the tow to get the car there? I will write Rich post-haste!

CoreyC
12-03-2011, 10:06 PM
Sorry everyone - I'm mixed up. I'd read rave reviews about Rich at Luxury Autobody.

But in your humble opinion, I should go to European?

Please help me out. I will have to pull the trigger on Monday morning...anyone know what leverage I have to insist to my insurance company, that I want to change shops, now that my car is already at a certified joint?

BMW Rated
12-03-2011, 10:12 PM
Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Any accident you can walk away from is a good one. Another good option is Luxury Auto body, they do excellent work and the owner is a stand up guy.

propr'one
12-03-2011, 10:14 PM
If you signed anything, you can't switch. Otherwise just call your insurance company and tell them you want it done at european.

CoreyC
12-03-2011, 10:21 PM
Thanks Propr' I signed an authorization for the adjuster to come out. So I guess I'm locked in.

I want a little extra work too on my own behalf...I will only get them to quote then...

Anyone know estimates of what a hood repaint should run? (I'm loathe to do it, because I'd much rather source a stock M3 hood to replace mine); mirror colour-matching? A general paint restore for swirls and such?

Thanks everyone for your help...appreciate your time to help me out!

Steve30
12-03-2011, 10:25 PM
I don't know the exact date but I'll ask my brother when I see him. Maybe you could give the city a call. I'm sure they would have it on record. Also, my buddy had some work done at Prochilo's. I don't think you have much to worry about if you're locked in with them. If you aren't though get it to European since they are the best around.

Steve - you know that? About the DVP being closed? This happened to me at 12 pm yesterday. I'm going to go to court to settle the careless they dropped on me. I'm happy to plead it down - can't be bothered to set a trial date and such, because the cop was freaking solid!. But knowing they closed the DVP, and details (do you know where online I could find the details?), would help me sell my case. Thanks bro!

CoreyC
12-03-2011, 10:37 PM
Steve - thanks for taking the time to post! :)

BMW Rated
12-03-2011, 11:27 PM
You honestly can't go wrong with either shop as they both do excellent work, speaking from experience.

1bmw1
12-03-2011, 11:30 PM
Sorry everyone - I'm mixed up. I'd read rave reviews about Rich at Luxury Autobody.

But in your humble opinion, I should go to European?

Please help me out. I will have to pull the trigger on Monday morning...anyone know what leverage I have to insist to my insurance company, that I want to change shops, now that my car is already at a certified joint?

Yup! You won't regret European Autobody. All these guys do are Ferraris and BMW's alll day...and all night, what the fuuuu, sorry got carried away lol ;). Anyways Tell the insurance company that u wanna take it there, and talk to Manuel at EA. Tell him you're on Max too, and he'll make sure to hook you up.*th-up* Good luck.

noid
12-04-2011, 02:09 AM
Did they have witnesses to claim you were being careless?

They gave a ticket for "unsafe left turn" or something like that after some crazy chick ran a red and hit my friends car. He ended up going to court and they ruled he wasn't at fault (even though cops said he was).

Is it really necessarily to give a ticket to someone who was just in a car accident? Especially when it didn't involve anyone else? Talk about putting salt in the wound.

I would fight it, chances are you insurance rates will go up if you dont.

richie_s999
12-04-2011, 07:56 AM
Looks like worn out, summer performance tires on the car, so hitting 3rd gear at 60 to 80km on a wet cold ramp on poor tires, your lucky you didn't hurt someone. Better hope the adjuster doesn't reject it due to the tires

EMPOWERD
12-04-2011, 12:04 PM
Both shops do great work, my knod definitely goes to Rich @ Luxury Auto Body after all the stories I've heard from customers' experiences with European (not workmanship, but service complaints). Glad you're ok... time for some driving schools so you can harness the ability to drift ramps confidently in your beauty (should that situation arise again).

CoreyC
12-04-2011, 12:06 PM
Thanks all! I was going to put my snows on the very next day....

BigD
12-04-2011, 01:13 PM
Both shops do great work, my knod definitely goes to Rich @ Luxury Auto Body after all the stories I've heard from customers' experiences with European (not workmanship, but service complaints). Glad you're ok... time for some driving schools so you can harness the ability to drift ramps confidently in your beauty (should that situation arise again).

+1 to Rich. I hate letting anyone touch my car but the flawless rep from people I trust made me take a chance. Not only is he a great guy personally, did flawless work but he was dead on or a little under his quote (which was already on par or lower than others, except maybe for garbage as-seen-on-tv shops, which weren't that much cheaper), but he was also on-time, which is extremely rare for top-shelf automotive shops. They're so anal and proud of their work that they even detailed my interior. I had a huge giggle when I opened my trunk and found my messy trunk with gym stuff organized (everything was sorted and neatly lined up).

BigD
12-04-2011, 01:18 PM
Thanks all! I was going to put my snows on the very next day....

Probably wouldn't have helped dude. Not trying to pour salt on fresh wounds but listen to EMPOWERD. No one should give you any grief here for what happened since we're probably all guilty of similar or worse but if you're going to drive with extra mojo, learn to expect and know what to do when something goes wrong - this is something best learned in the controlled setting of a high performance driving school, where no one tells you to slow down but rather what to do to go faster.

CoreyC
12-04-2011, 04:59 PM
Message received loud and clear - thank you!!

PS - looks like your Gremlin found your stash!

SiR
12-05-2011, 10:30 AM
Looks like worn out, summer performance tires on the car,
you can see his rear tires?

BigD
12-05-2011, 11:14 AM
Message received loud and clear - thank you!!

PS - looks like your Gremlin found your stash!

Haha, no that's how it is when I try to hide the stash

sproule905
12-05-2011, 12:27 PM
Prolly $500 to paint the hood alone.

sproule905
12-05-2011, 12:29 PM
That's quite the gap from the curb to the guardrail. Albeit an M3 would have cleared the rail. JK... Glad to see you walked away.. must have been effn hairy, dude.

richie_s999
12-05-2011, 01:57 PM
you can see his rear tires?

You can clearly see the passenger front tire, which is very worn on the out shoulder, and inner side too, car also looks lowered, and bigger then stock rims for the model. either the car's alignment is not tire friendly or its rubbing the tires out.

rear tires could be good but the fronts or front is worn, so the cars not going to react properly, also to kick the rear out on a second to third shift, either the rear tires were worn,cold, and not displacing water and caught the driver off guard, and he was not able to control the car, or it was a, intentional hard shift meant to kick the rear out, and he lost it and could not gather things in, either way the car was over driven for the conditions and the tires.

ismail
12-05-2011, 03:06 PM
Stay Away from Prochilo's....had them do warranty work on my old Mazda3 last year - terrible job basically didnt even bother to sand down the old rust and shot a coat of paint over it.

Had to take it back and have them do it again....go to Luxury and dont waste your time!

propr'one
12-05-2011, 03:25 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about the work at any half-reputable shop. They dont get paid until YOU sign off on the work. (Insurance cheque will be made out to both of you, you'll have to co-sign it).

Also being that this is your insurance company's "preferred shop" you have lots of leverage to bitch about the work not being done correctly. Be involved in the repair process, see the car every few days, and at the first sign of trouble, keep the adjuster in the loop.

SiR
12-05-2011, 05:50 PM
You can clearly see the passenger front tire, which is very worn on the out shoulder, and inner side too, car also looks lowered, and bigger then stock rims for the model. either the car's alignment is not tire friendly or its rubbing the tires out.

rear tires could be good but the fronts or front is worn, so the cars not going to react properly, also to kick the rear out on a second to third shift, either the rear tires were worn,cold, and not displacing water and caught the driver off guard, and he was not able to control the car, or it was a, intentional hard shift meant to kick the rear out, and he lost it and could not gather things in, either way the car was over driven for the conditions and the tires.
just wanted to confirm that you could tell all that from a blurry pic of the one front tire.

richie_s999
12-05-2011, 08:26 PM
just wanted to confirm that you could tell all that from a blurry pic of the one front tire.

I do so enjoy your trolling if my posts and picking portions of what I post to question. It's getting old, but I'm growing used to it, obviously you have some obsession with me, it flattering in a weird twisted way I guess.

My observation on what happened is actually from all 4 posted pictures, which are not blurry and do show a good picture of what happened, along with knowing by the op's discription of what happened and driving conditions that day.

We have already lost the life of one board memeber due to driving beyond the limits of the condition of the tires on his car, and now we have another member who luckily walked away and is ok, and I hope he realizes he is lucky it was not worst.

I hope this is a notice to fellow members to pay attention to the condition of their cars tires and maimtance, and drive accordingly to weather conditions.

JINT
12-05-2011, 09:06 PM
I don't get it, did you hydroplane? i hit water at 120 on the highway many times, on long turns sometimes too, i mean yeah, my balls shrunk for two seconds, but nothing close to spinning out. You got good tires on that E46?

EMPOWERD
12-05-2011, 10:55 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about the work at any half-reputable shop. They dont get paid until YOU sign off on the work. (Insurance cheque will be made out to both of you, you'll have to co-sign it).

Wrong.

Majority of the shops out there will make the repairs look fantastic... for the owner to "sign off".. only to find out months (or years) later that it's nothing but cheese (bondo) used. A quality shop (LAB, European etc) will never use sub-par materials because of their higher standards and quality of work. A wise person once told me "it's what's behind the vanity that matters".

bmwm5lover
12-05-2011, 11:31 PM
I do so enjoy your trolling if my posts and picking portions of what I post to question. It's getting old, but I'm growing used to it, obviously you have some obsession with me, it flattering in a weird twisted way I guess.

You aren't the only one. That tool does it with me too. Its comical.

CoreyC
12-05-2011, 11:42 PM
Thank you to all for your advice, not just for this, but to drive with more intelligence in the future, and the time you took to post. I am having Prochilo's do the work. Really, just to be done with it, and a little complacency. It's there, it's BMW recommended, I had a few people say they are alright.

I have more work planned that Rich will get. I am happy I can be so cavalier at this point, with not even an ache, I am still around for my wife and family, and I have learned a lot.

It's just a car. A car that I abstractly love, mind you, but just a car...and thank you Richie for playing the heavy.

noid
12-06-2011, 01:36 AM
Does anyone know why co-operators does not qualify European autobody? A year ago they told a buddy of mine, that they will pay them to do the repairs but will not warrant the work.

Sounds weird, since I always hear everyone praising them. I wonder if its just a fluke, or if they know something we dont?

CoreyC
12-06-2011, 02:03 AM
OP says - Hijack alert! :P Post your own thread bro....this thread seems to have everything it needs already. No offense.

CoreyC
12-06-2011, 02:40 AM
Sorry - my bad....wrote of the cuff noid - didn't see your handle. Thought you were someone else. Peace.

SiR
12-06-2011, 10:30 AM
I do so enjoy your trolling if my posts and picking portions of what I post to question. It's getting old,

wtf are you talking about? I havent referenced something youve posted in ages.

gtfo with your exaggerated bs and csi las vegas investigation skills .

propr'one
12-06-2011, 10:58 AM
Wrong.

Majority of the shops out there will make the repairs look fantastic... for the owner to "sign off".. only to find out months (or years) later that it's nothing but cheese (bondo) used. A quality shop (LAB, European etc) will never use sub-par materials because of their higher standards and quality of work. A wise person once told me "it's what's behind the vanity that matters".

You didn't read the rest of what i wrote:

Be involved in the repair process, see the car every few days, and at the first sign of trouble, keep the adjuster in the loop.

And unfortunately, i have seen european cut corners (although, not to the point of bondo-ing things that need replacement). Having said that, if i needed insurance work in toronto, that's where i'd be.

I agree with BigD, i've seen the way lots of members here drive (admittedly, myself included), i think we're lucky this kind of thing doesn't happen more often.

TheMadChigga
12-06-2011, 11:15 AM
+1 to Rich. I hate letting anyone touch my car but the flawless rep from people I trust made me take a chance. Not only is he a great guy personally, did flawless work but he was dead on or a little under his quote (which was already on par or lower than others, except maybe for garbage as-seen-on-tv shops, which weren't that much cheaper), but he was also on-time, which is extremely rare for top-shelf automotive shops. They're so anal and proud of their work that they even detailed my interior. I had a huge giggle when I opened my trunk and found my messy trunk with gym stuff organized (everything was sorted and neatly lined up).

A bodyshop that's ON TIME? I have only heard about bodyshops being on time in Mexico, never ever heard one on time in North America.

Fooking a, time to bring E30/36/39 in for some paint work in the Spring.

richie_s999
12-07-2011, 01:09 AM
wtf are you talking about? I havent referenced something youve posted in ages.

gtfo with your exaggerated bs and csi las vegas investigation skills .

I don't know what your issue is with what I said about what happened, your the only one that has a problem with it, so obviously your trying once again to stir things up. No need for cursing and immature behavior.

If anyone is looking to up their driving knowledge and skill levels, (as suggested by a couple people in this thread) I know that the driving schools and autocross are obviously done for the season (I hope to see more people coming out next year to events like this, allot of us drive powerful cars, and need more training and continual practice handling these machines at the limits, myself included, its a skill, and like any skill must be learned, and practiced), but in the off season there are lots of well written books out there that help with understanding all aspects of performance driving, I am reading the "secrets of speed" books written by Ross Bently which are available from Chapter's online store.

If anyone else can recommend any good books on performance driving please let me know!

Blackedout95
12-07-2011, 01:31 AM
Hhhhmmmm as mentioned, bad tires, wet conditions, too fast (maybe) and daym that distance is a long ways from the curb to the top of the guard. You better hope they dont go csi on your ass.

Btw why in the one pic is the pass front tire on and on the truck its off...

CoreyC
12-07-2011, 01:38 AM
Thank you Richie! I work for Bombardier Aerospace, at Downsview. Apparently the BMW driving courses are held right near by, and I appear to get a discount (water-cooler talk) because I work at BA.

I certainly need to know how to drive better, and will be looking into that come spring :) Your recommendation for off-season reading is very welcome too! A great idea.

And now, I say this respectfully. This is my post. Everyone has stood up to share their knowledge and help me be a better person.

Please use the PM and new thread button if you can't play nice :) I get enough conflict at work. This is our community, where, I personally feel free and welcome to share things, even as embarrassing as the reason for this post :) To learn from the collective experience and grow. I'm new here, but I was 5 years in at ninthgencorolla (my now winter ride), and I like to see a collaborative, not exhaustive, style of communication.

Most importantly - It's almost Xmas break!!! Boo-yaka! Thanks all!

dcramer
12-07-2011, 07:28 AM
I've thought about this thread a bit, and I think we'd all be wise to remember that the insurance adjuster can read these threads as well.

CoreyC I'd be very careful about admitting anything here.

Remember if you don't want to see it in court don't put it in writing ( or worse, on the internet ).

Dave

SiR
12-07-2011, 10:49 AM
^^ agreed. and CoreyC you may be new to the internet/forums but anything and everything can and will happen in your threads and others.

your dream for a utopia forum is just that...a dream. Things will go off topic, people will argue, insult , like + everything in between.

Just thought Id fill you in before your heart gets broken.

damameke
12-07-2011, 12:14 PM
Like you had stated: "quite an experience", bet you did what ever you could to straighten it out.., takes alot for you to post that with pictures even...

Glad you were ok and learning from this experience...

Dont worry about what other people read into your post... in a way.. I appreciate your post, this serves as a reminder to me to focus in my driving and noting the condition of the road...especially so in winter...

SiR
12-07-2011, 02:54 PM
noting the condition of the road...especially so in winter...

especially important as the conditions change frequently.

Gleb
12-07-2011, 09:06 PM
http://nsxfiles.com/Pyramid_of_speed.htm *wave*

Blackedout95
12-07-2011, 11:24 PM
LOL, its funny cause its true.

FelixT
12-07-2011, 11:36 PM
it's time to get winter tires...

steve.325i
12-08-2011, 12:50 AM
AHHHH!!! Very sorry to hear.
Hope the repair goes well.

opes
12-09-2011, 12:18 PM
I've used European twice on my old E36. I cannot recommend them in good conscience.

They have great potential and can do great work but fall short on execution ... especially when your car is not a Ferrari. And they're not cheap.

Look in to the shop Randy recommends ...

jaym3smg
12-09-2011, 01:37 PM
Interesting... Usually DSC will save your ass from something like that. I've had something similar happen to me and DSC kicked in to fix me up.

Unless you were driving with it off... which is another good lesson for street driving in wet weather: Don't :)

-J

dcramer
12-09-2011, 01:59 PM
Actually on the big track I leave it on in the wet. I'm not good enough to drive with it off in the wet

Tom
12-09-2011, 02:07 PM
+1 for Rich at LAB

IF you goto European and you don't own a Ferrari your paint job wont be as quality as what Rich can offer you, when I went to European for a quote I felt like Manny I believe his name was had thought my car a POS...

jaym3smg
12-09-2011, 04:27 PM
Actually on the big track I leave it on in the wet. I'm not good enough to drive with it off in the wet

Big track meaning the DVP? Bc that's what I was talking about :) Wondering why his DSC didn't kick in fix things up before it went into a rail...

-J

dbworld4k
12-09-2011, 04:55 PM
Hah. I wish I had DSC. ASC is so inferior.

dcramer
12-09-2011, 05:52 PM
By big track I mean mosport

SiR
12-10-2011, 04:46 PM
asc delete. for babies

jaym3smg
12-10-2011, 06:46 PM
By big track I mean mosport

Heh heh I know, I just had no idea where that came from...

-J

Axxe
12-11-2011, 02:31 AM
DSC/ASC = right foot.

talent
12-11-2011, 03:09 AM
Did the airbags go off ? Suspension damage ? Write-off ?

richie_s999
12-11-2011, 02:25 PM
asc delete. for babies

hey is your name Kurt and is kurdino@gmail.com your email?

SiR
12-11-2011, 02:59 PM
huh :huh?:

no

richie_s999
12-12-2011, 07:27 AM
huh :huh?:

no

hmmm ok, just thought I would ask, sure sounded like you.

HavocSteve
12-12-2011, 01:11 PM
Thank you Richie! I work for Bombardier Aerospace, at Downsview. Apparently the BMW driving courses are held right near by, and I appear to get a discount (water-cooler talk) because I work at BA.

I certainly need to know how to drive better, and will be looking into that come spring :) Your recommendation for off-season reading is very welcome too! A great idea.

And now, I say this respectfully. This is my post. Everyone has stood up to share their knowledge and help me be a better person.

Please use the PM and new thread button if you can't play nice :) I get enough conflict at work. This is our community, where, I personally feel free and welcome to share things, even as embarrassing as the reason for this post :) To learn from the collective experience and grow. I'm new here, but I was 5 years in at ninthgencorolla (my now winter ride), and I like to see a collaborative, not exhaustive, style of communication.

Most importantly - It's almost Xmas break!!! Boo-yaka! Thanks all!

The company I work for produces parts for you guys! well BA. Your paperwork for shipping is a hassle in a half >_<

Glad you made it out walking and breathing from your incident. Hopefully everything works out in the end and you get your car back the way it was before this happened.

dcramer
12-12-2011, 04:27 PM
DSC/ASC = right foot.

Well given the proximity of the walls at mosport, I'm quite fine at my level of driving to let BMW technology take over.

At the end of the day if all I ever do is wear brakes and tires I consider it a success

Dave

jaym3smg
12-13-2011, 03:12 PM
Well given the proximity of the walls at mosport, I'm quite fine at my level of driving to let BMW technology take over.

At the end of the day if all I ever do is wear brakes and tires I consider it a success

Dave

I wonder how many people who don't believe in stability control have ever done Mosport in the wet (or dry for that matter).

-J

dbworld4k
12-13-2011, 06:34 PM
DSC is wonderful, but ASC is crap.

dble Trouble
12-13-2011, 09:44 PM
Any _sc is crap as it leaves the driver with a false sense of security. If you can't handle your car, buy something you can handle, or learn how to handle it. Electronic nannies suck. These drivers' aids have their limits too. Physics are physics, meaning there is always a threshold that can be reached when no level of aid will help, and the problem then becomes this: Once your are sliding, your drivers aid "tries" to help you, but you instinctively try to correct the slide, so between, you trying to correct, and your electronic aid interfereing, you could end up in a much worse situation. I was fooling around in a students E46 M3 at the wet skidpad at Shanonnville a while back, demonstrating the differences in skid control with and without the electronic nanny. Without, I could enter at ridiculous speed, put the car into a slide and show them how to control it, and manage it. Then we would go out same speed, same type of slide initiated, but with the aids on, and we still were able to exceed the limits of the aids, but then I tried to also get in on the action and the car bucked and twicted and did a 360! Then the student tried and same results. If we entered slightly slower, and without as much sliding then the electronic aid did do it's job, and brought us back around until we were not sliding any more. Just saying.....

SiR
12-14-2011, 09:58 AM
^^I agree.

no aids will save you bombing at mosport.

dcramer
12-14-2011, 10:10 AM
I have to disagree. There are varying degrees of driver ability here. At some point you need to get rid of the electronics, but for novice's the DSC will correct a small slide much quicker than the driver, allowing them to continue learning. However if they don't learn from that event then it's not a good thing. I will agree that relying on it as a crutch will not allow you to move to the next level.

dble Trouble
12-14-2011, 10:24 AM
I have to disagree. There are varying degrees of driver ability here. At some point you need to get rid of the electronics, but for novice's the DSC will correct a small slide much quicker than the driver, allowing them to continue learning. However if they don't learn from that event then it's not a good thing. I will agree that relying on it as a crutch will not allow you to move to the next level.

Is this not a different way of saying what I said? I did say that it WILL correct a small slide, but, it will NOT correct a big slide............it will try though. Although the example I gave was on a skidpad (beause I don't believe in hooliganisms on the road) my statements apply mostly to road driving, not track. On the track, do what you want. I personally have always turned drivers aids off at the track. The OP obviously demonstrates that the aids did not help him in this instance either because they were off, or he was beyond the threshold at which they would help.

dcramer
12-14-2011, 10:32 AM
I think your opening line was something along the lines of all *sc are crap.... I was just offering a more moderate position.

My bet is that it was his attempt to correct it that led to the final resting position. One thing that needs to be learned is when to give up and just go both feet in, and let go of the steering wheel. This of course is against all of our basic instincts.

dble Trouble
12-14-2011, 10:58 AM
^^True true.

Mystikal
12-14-2011, 02:02 PM
DSC prevented my GF from writing off my M Roadster 2 weeks after buying it.

We had just crossed the Detroit/Windsor border, doing around 120 on the 401, coming back from Tail of the Dragon when an armadillo / raccoon / renegade turtle ran out into our lane. In reaction she immediately lifted the throttle 100% and yanked the steering wheel left. Now I've done a lot of sideways driving, and my senses tells me this slide is bad mojo. As soon as I realized what she did I was bracing for impact. We we careening towards the guardrail, fast. The rear end was beyond gone. A genuinely skilled driver could catch it, but I knew from the seat of my pants that we were doomed. Even if she managed to point the car away from the guardrail on the left we would end up in a dramatic over-correction (I know her skills...) and undoubtedly meet the right extreme of the highway.

Then, sudden and dramatic brake pulsations. The car has grabbed hold of what I'm assuming is the FR wheel and we're straightening out. The entire ordeal lasted maybe 1.5 seconds and afterwards it was like nothing happened. The ridiculous slide was over and we're continuing on our way. Those following us say it looked just as dramatic as we felt it.

Of course, she's since completed a weekend at Mosport GP with Trillium BMW and is MUCH more capable of a driver. That's right, my 5'2" 110lb asian GF probably has more driivng skills than you. Actually probably not. Whatever. John, give me free stuff.

dbworld4k
12-14-2011, 02:13 PM
I was waiting for you to post with your experience... ASC full throttle cutting is useless in such situations.

propr'one
12-14-2011, 03:59 PM
DSC has saved my life, more than once.

Axxe
12-14-2011, 04:08 PM
I like to drive within the limits of physics, but when I have to lend my car to someone I wish I had my ASC working. It's a very primitive system though, DSC is 100x better but still won't help if you try to go way past the limit.

SiR
12-14-2011, 04:17 PM
That's right, my 5'2" 110lb asian GF .

something something about pics not loading ;)

Mystikal
12-14-2011, 05:42 PM
something something about pics not loading ;)

Squint real hard.

http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=76343&stc=1&d=1210605144

Blackedout95
12-14-2011, 05:44 PM
I always assumed it was the controls they are using more and more that make the stig faster and faster :)

Didnt he do a test once, on and off runs?

EMPOWERD
12-15-2011, 08:49 AM
I always assumed it was the controls they are using more and more that make the stig faster and faster :)

Didnt he do a test once, on and off runs?

On a dry track, i'm definitely faster with traction/stability aids turned off. Opposite in the wet (raw time). It's very hard to have a reaction time faster enough to replicate the electronic systems of modern performance cars (M3 has a better system than a non-M same aged car). Same goes for ABS (wet & dry)

bmwm5lover
12-15-2011, 10:05 AM
DSC has saved my life, more than once.

Same experience here.

When I first got my M5, I began entering a very wet on ramp at a much faster speed than I should have. Well as soon as (at the time) the skinny 8" wheels with crappy (albeit new) Kumho all season 245's in the front began plowing straight for the concrete barrier with the rear following I knew I was doomed.

Then, a little yellow halo lit on the centre of my dash. It began flashing and the world was right again. Boy, was I greatful.

For months after that I never turned the DSC off while I was learning (my 1st car proper traction aids) what this aid was all about.

There are a few other stories, some quite recent that the DSC saved my butt and I guarantee you it would have saved yours, I don't care who you are.

My DSC is ON, unless I am in the mindset and ready to handle the car and it is dry outside.

Then again, to a degree maybe I've been spoiled?
My e30 never had any aids.
My e34 M5 never had any aid.

I never wrote neither one off and I drove them just as hard (probably harder as I was younger and more fearless).
I am thankful for my DSC

5style
12-15-2011, 12:22 PM
DSC or drive calmly for the conditions. *shurgs*

Gleb
12-17-2011, 07:28 PM
Same experience here.

When I first got my M5, I began entering a very wet on ramp at a much faster speed than I should have. Well as soon as (at the time) the skinny 8" wheels with crappy (albeit new) Kumho all season 245's in the front began plowing straight for the concrete barrier with the rear following I knew I was doomed.

Do you have wider wheels/tires now, does it handle better in the rain? Just curious.

Havok_2011
12-19-2011, 06:43 PM
Hey CoreyC, I was actually getting off the DVP and heading on to Bloor street and saw your car dangling on the rail. It was quite the sight!

I wanted to turn around and come help you as you were alone outside staring at your car while on the phone, but I couldn't since I was on another one-way road, and you were below me to the left. I also thought about calling 911 since I figured they would need to close off that one-way single lane road to get your car off the rail...but I didn't want to bring the police on you in the case you wanted to avoid a ticket.

I was stunned when I saw your car dangling on the rail...must have been tough to see them yank it off there :(

But glad to hear you are ok!

bmwm5lover
12-19-2011, 10:06 PM
Do you have wider wheels/tires now, does it handle better in the rain? Just curious.

Yes I do and yes it does.

Gleb
12-20-2011, 11:43 PM
Yes I do and yes it does.

That's what I thought. Thanks.