PDA

View Full Version : Which winter tire to purchase?

sexxxybimmer
12-02-2011, 08:55 PM
Hi everyone,
I'm in the market for best set of winter tire and replica rims, Bmw Autohaus is asking $3500 + tax, i really think that's too much.
Is it cheaper to get them locally or order them off Tirerack?
Does Tirerack ship to Canada?
What are the best Tires?
Michelin Pilot Alpin Pa3?
Bridgestone Blizzak? ...
By the way i have 335i
Thank you guys in advance and best of luck
KevIn

///Maluco
12-03-2011, 12:00 AM
Yes, tirerack will ship to Canada.
A friend purchased his winter wheel/tire package through them. Shipping, duties, brokerage were all calculated and it was a great deal compared to several local wheel/tire shops in the GTA.

Michelin Pilot Alpin, Pirelli Winter240 Sottozero and Continental ExtremeWinterContact are winter tires I've used with excellent results. The latest ones are the Continental's. It's a fantastic tire.

I've always found the best deal at Automotive Import Market in Markham (Woodbine and Denison) during my searches. You can speak to Steve at (905) 477-1771. They also have various BMW replica wheels which would fit your needs for winter duty.

Good luck on your search,
Eddie

cormier
12-03-2011, 12:12 AM
I've found the best local deals a Tires23 on matheson near dixie

I've had blizzaks with great results and have heard the newer ones are even better

sexxxybimmer
12-03-2011, 06:51 AM
Yes, tirerack will ship to Canada.
A friend purchased his winter wheel/tire package through them. Shipping, duties, brokerage were all calculated and it was a great deal compared to several local wheel/tire shops in the GTA.

Michelin Pilot Alpin, Pirelli Winter240 Sottozero and Continental ExtremeWinterContact are winter tires I've used with excellent results. The latest ones are the Continental's. It's a fantastic tire.

I've always found the best deal at Automotive Import Market in Markham (Woodbine and Denison) during my searches. You can speak to Steve at (905) 477-1771. They also have various BMW replica wheels which would fit your needs for winter duty.

Good luck on your search,
Eddie

Thx Eddie

which Blizzak ?
one of my buddy has 335i too and he was very happy with his Michelin pilot alpine pa3, but when i check the rating on 1010tire.com the Nokian Hakkapeliitta R , has the best rating and Mechelin is #29. any idea?

calegrant
12-03-2011, 01:49 PM
Wonder if tires will qualify for the 25-year classic car duty exemption...

magnus
12-03-2011, 03:11 PM
Nokkian are by far the best.
Are you looking for studded or plain?
If Stadded go Nokkian. If not go Toyo (http://toyotires.com/tire/pattern/observe-garit-kx).
The Michelins are awesome on snow and ice but really suck on wet.
I actually decided to go for Kumhos I´ZEN wis KW19 this year (studded) as i got them really cheap and i am selling the car so i wanted a good but economic tire. I am quite impressed so far as they are both relatively quiet and grip quite well!

1bmw1
12-03-2011, 03:46 PM
I've been using blizzaks for years and never look elsewhere. They're the best i've tried.

sexxxybimmer
12-03-2011, 07:42 PM
Went to Active Green + and they want $1240 for Michelin alpine pa3 and
blizzaks $1330.

gnome
12-04-2011, 04:12 AM
I've found the best local deals a Tires23 on matheson near dixie

I've had blizzaks with great results and have heard the newer ones are even better

I just bought new rims and Continental Extreme Contact winter tires at Tires23 - they seem to know their stuff, and have a broad selection of rims to choose from. Not going back to their competitor ever as my wheel bolts were way over-torqued...*no-no*

enfield
12-04-2011, 11:45 AM
I had Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2's on my E92 M3 and they are horrible in snow. I changed them to Nokian Hakka R's and they are fantastic. I like them better than Bridgestone Blizzacks.

bmwm5lover
12-04-2011, 05:41 PM
I love Gislaved(?) winter tires.

SiR
12-05-2011, 10:33 AM
any winter tire is better than no winter tire

damameke
12-05-2011, 11:20 AM
Gislaved Norfrost 5 - got that last winter, reasonably price(steelie/tire package down size to 16) around $600ish.. check the review and I got that from Allen Simplytire(best price ater I called around including sponsors here)

sexxxybimmer
12-05-2011, 07:40 PM
ordered 4 Michelin pilot pa3 225/40/18 all around for $1400 , dont want to change the rim.

JINT
12-05-2011, 09:17 PM
i work in Simply Tire so i get alot of feedback from different people. Pilot Alpine the best is highway winter tire. It's pretty much like a winter race tire that wont affect your stability when you go over 150km/h. Which if you think about it doesn't make any sense. Wide winter tires are cr@p no matter what brand you choose though. A 16" say 205 55 16 Hankook that costs half the price will outperform any pirelli or michelin in deep snow city driving. It cuts better through snow.

Axxe
12-05-2011, 09:41 PM
i work in Simply Tire so i get alot of feedback from different people. Pilot Alpine the best is highway winter tire. It's pretty much like a winter race tire that wont affect your stability when you go over 150km/h. Which if you think about it doesn't make any sense. Wide winter tires are cr@p no matter what brand you choose though. A 16" say 205 55 16 Hankook that costs half the price will outperform any pirelli or michelin in deep snow city driving. It cuts better through snow.

What time do you guys open in the morning? What's the best time to call? I'd imagine you guys are swamped right now, I need to grab some 205/50/17 or 225/45/17 for my e36.

propr'one
12-05-2011, 10:20 PM
tomek, do 205. I got 225, and while its manageable, you'll do better with teh narrows.