PDA

View Full Version : E30 night night time... storing tips anyone?

Nerk
12-02-2011, 11:17 AM
Hey guys, just wanted to check in... haven't been on here for a while,

I finally got the majority of my restoration work this spring/summer, and boy what a difference... the Turner Motorsport chip and the 173 ECU swap really woke the car up..

I do have to thank Alex at ACP, he made it all happen, without him, I'd be still trying to work on the damn car.

Project list included:

Custom CAI install
New CAT + Remus muffler
Smiley H4 headlight conversion kit install
Fix body damage to front passenger side and replace AC dryer
New Gas tank + filler tube, pumps and filter install
SS brake lines and painted calipers
ECU swap + TMS chip
PS pump replacement (it was constantly leaking from the pulley)
and probably other things i just can't think of right now

Anyhow, glad all this is finally done, it was bugging me for a while, the car no longer has an exhaust leak or have a hint of gas smell in my garage... still have a few more things to do, but they are minor, license plate lights rusted out, trunk leaks (thinking its the tail light gaskets now, already replaced the seal)

So, the car is off the road, its a clean shell, so trying to keep it clean... I fllled her up on 30th and took it for a drive with some fuel line antifreeze... besides the obvious battery maintenance task (its coming indoors for the winter on a trickle charger) what else should I be doing? I've read things like depressurizing the fuel system, putting it up on jack stands, putting it fresh oil etc... is that really necessary? I don't mind doing it, but would be more of hassle if I do need to take the car out of the garage to do some wood working or anything of that sort...

Just wanted to get some thoughts out... what does everyone else do?

Thanks.

DR.ZED
12-03-2011, 08:39 AM
Fuel stabilizer in tank then fill it up. Drive it home. Plug in battery tender.

Now about before or after oil change. Let the debate begin! :)

Okay chaange the oil and put in cheap stuff. Drain it in spring and put your reg oil in?

BMW BMXer
12-03-2011, 09:27 AM
When I stored the car DR. ZED now has I did exactly as he said, I didn't start it after I stored it either (until the summer) I just left it.

I changed the oil first. If I recall.

Oh fill your exhaust with something if you are worried about critters.

Ceeker
12-03-2011, 11:05 AM
You don't need to change the oil. unless you want a fresh start in the spring. Take the plugs out and spray some lubricant in the chamber and put the plugs back in.
put a couple bottles of fuel stabilizer in a full tank of gas. pump the tires up higher then the recommended tire pressure( 50psi+) to avoid possible flat spotting after sitting. This will make the tire really round. disconnect the positive terminal on the battery and this will avoid draining but if it is stored outside in cold climate garage throw a trickle charge on the battery. e30's don't have much electronics to worry bout. you'll just have to reset the OBC and radio code.

doogee
12-03-2011, 11:38 AM
Whatever you do, don't listen to the people who say "start the car up everyone week or so."

Condensation will build up and make a mess of your oil. It's best just to leave it alone until spring.

El Gato Liso
12-03-2011, 06:41 PM
just park it...you don't need to do anything.

cormier
12-03-2011, 10:56 PM
^ besides shedding a tear or two!

magnus
12-04-2011, 03:38 PM
put it on stands and remove wheels.

everlast
12-04-2011, 11:44 PM
I put a battery tender on mine.

MaxBell
12-04-2011, 11:56 PM
put it on stands and remove wheels.

Not good to just let the suspension hang though. When I stored by Beetle, I put it on stands, but I put them on the outermost portion of the suspension, to keep it in a natural state.

davericher20
12-05-2011, 12:15 PM
don't put it on stands, (it exposes the suspension to rust and they aren't in their natural state) Put fresh oil in before and after storing, (you don't wante used sludge sitting in there for months) fuel stablizer, trickle charger, plug the exhaust and try to have the tires on carpet, (it'll reduce flat spots) Don't store it wet, Don't store it wet. annnnnd don't store it wet. Make sure it's clean if you use a tarp or cover.

And leave it until you need it again.

And don't store it wet.

everlast
12-05-2011, 12:54 PM
Anyone ever try over-inflating tires to help flat spots? Good call on the carpet, i'll be doing that. I sold all my spare sets of wheels and now I don't have any storage wheels. Boo.

E30M42cab
12-05-2011, 10:40 PM
I would never store my car on the tires/rims that I drive on. Tires might flat spot, although I feel thats a myth. I'm driving my vert right now on their storage wheels which always go next to flat every year, and they drive fine right now. I call "old wives tale" on flat spotting. I'd even call "pure bullshit" on the flat spotting issue. Actually, I store it on on my storage set because I don't want any of you punks stealing my rims over the winter.

Fuel stabilizer. Use as recommended. Full tank of gas.

Do no engage the parking brake unless you want it seized up when you release it in the spring. Leave it out of gear too... just chock one wheel.

Disconnect battery. I've never had one go dead when it's completely disconnected. Trickle charger is a waste of time.

Cloth up the exhaust pipe.

I usually pull fuse 11 while the car is running and let the fuel lines go dry. I'd rather not have my fuel syphen out if a line decides to crack.

Keep dust off the car by using the car itself as a shelf for all sorts of crap so it's burried in camo all winter.

Remove some of the cool parts like your baddass Recaro's and beauty Nardi steering wheels... harder to steal parts that aren't there, and harder to steal the car with no seats/wheel/fuel pump fuse... unless you're towing it of course.

Kiss it goodnight, and pet the hood a couple times. It likes that. Get in your winter e30 and drive away.

Works for me, year after year. 50% of the time, it starts every time.

MaxBell
12-05-2011, 11:34 PM
I pet the bitch's hood.

Bitches love hood pets.

Woofer
12-06-2011, 12:23 AM
I pet the bitch's hood.

Bitches love hood pets.

Lol oh yea hahahahah

North
12-06-2011, 06:41 PM
about the tire over-inflation... is it safe to go up that high? all the tires I've had on my e30 have said not to exceed 41 psi, so would 50 be a little dangerous even if it is just sitting there?

E30M42cab
12-06-2011, 06:44 PM
Yeah, I don't see the point in stressing the whole tire... it's still got a flat spot even at 50psi. Then you drop it back down to 32 psi? Doesn't make sense to me.

dble Trouble
12-06-2011, 07:12 PM
flat spotting is the wrong terminology. Flat spotting is created by locking up the tires and the rubber being ground away by the pavement/concrete, hence creating a flat spot in the tread compound. Out of round is what people are talking about. Yes if rubber remains in a certain position for extended periods of time it will remain that way for a small while afterwards, hence creating a vibration the first time you take it for a drive in the spring. However, rubber is a moulded substance and will always go back to it's original shape, just takes a little time. Over inflating will cause damage to the tire and the bead and is not recommended by anyone.

everlast
12-06-2011, 10:14 PM
My tires go "out of round" in the summer in a week of sitting in the garage; it clears up quickly.

I won't over-inflate the tires then, but I am still worried about them. They're star specs which aren't supposed to be exposed to freezing temps, but I guess I'll see how they fair. I just hope they don't crack under the weight of the car over winter. :o

dble Trouble
12-06-2011, 10:21 PM
My star specs are still on the car! LOL. I'm waiting 'till the last minute.

everlast
12-06-2011, 10:24 PM
lulz

E30M42cab
12-06-2011, 10:52 PM
Don't all you guys have some shitty set of bottle caps with bald tires to store your cars on? Bottlecaps are laying in the streets wanting to be used for something. Hell... store your car on bottlecaps.... like just the bottlecap... no tires... There, no out of round. Problem solved!

MaxBell
12-06-2011, 11:06 PM
Don't all you guys have some shitty set of bottle caps with bald tires to store your cars on? Bottlecaps are laying in the streets wanting to be used for something. Hell... store your car on bottlecaps.... like just the bottlecap... no tires... There, no out of round. Problem solved!

The way we all man handle bottle caps, I swear the day will come when my collection will be worth a fortune. You'll all be coming to me for wheels, for that OEM look that will be so sexy.

everlast
12-06-2011, 11:09 PM
I sold my bottlecaps for $200. Plus, my UUC BBK doesn't fit anyway.

E30M42cab
12-06-2011, 11:16 PM
I love bottlecaps so much, I have 4 sets of them. I have one set compiled of 4 minty trunk spares... which I use on my dad's e30 for his winter tires. When I leave the e30 game, you can have all my bottlecaps for $1, Max.

dble Trouble
12-07-2011, 09:14 AM
I love bottlecaps so much, I have 4 sets of them. I have one set compiled of 4 minty trunk spares... which I use on my dad's e30 for his winter tires. When I leave the e30 game, you can have all my bottlecaps for $1, Max.

You'll never leave.

E30M42cab
12-07-2011, 11:25 AM
I'm moving to VW.

davericher20
12-07-2011, 12:42 PM
I'm moving to VW.

I'm sleeping with Jessica Alba

E30M42cab
12-07-2011, 06:17 PM
I'm sleeping with Jessica Alba

That's cool. Elisha Cuthbert and I will see you two at the Christmas party. We'll be pulling up in my brown '83 Jetta coupe. Bagged on Magnesium 14" Ronal Racing splits (unless I put the winter set of ATS Style 5's on).

North
12-07-2011, 06:26 PM
buddy of mine has a mk1 coupe... what an ugly car. :D

E30M42cab
12-07-2011, 06:28 PM
buddy of mine has a mk1 coupe... what an ugly car. :D

So does one of my buddies... it's such a piece of shit, haha!

dble Trouble
12-07-2011, 08:44 PM
You LIE, you just sold the last VW you will ever own, hopefully I will do the same soon.

E30M42cab
12-07-2011, 11:17 PM
Yeah, awesome story actually. 18 year old girl buys the GF's car (VW cabrio) last tuesday at 2pm, and around 10pm, she gets a text from the new owner saying she's been in an accident that wasn't her fault, and the car has been written off. Nobody hurt, but jesus, she'd only had the car for a few hours and writes it off just like that!

Anyways, I'm stuck driving the vert with my storage tires, failed (open)t-stat, front wheel bearing about to explode, hardtop without a defrost switch attached, muffler hanging by a thread, dry-ass wiper blades (not that it matters becuase there's no fluid in the washer tank), and a battery that dies if you leave your Ipod plugged in. I can't wait to get this POS into storage!

GF is driving the coupe. Which has no front sway bar. FML. Ive gotta enjoy this though, because I haven't heard the "Why do you own two cars?" argument in two weeks:)

cormier
12-08-2011, 12:17 AM
Wow bad luck -- hey at least your t-stats stuck OPEN! Lookin on the bright side ;)

bart325is
12-08-2011, 12:28 AM
just park it...you don't need to do anything.

+++ park it, disconnect battery, done. Maybe start it once or twice but if you do then make sure it gets up to temperature before shutting it off.

dble Trouble
12-08-2011, 03:00 AM
Oh.......and by the way.........what are bottlecaps? :D

BimmerboyPH
12-14-2011, 02:16 PM
Fill the tank up
disconnect the negative battery terminal
over inflate the tires
park the car on cardboard or foam
put a cover on it
and place a bag of salt with holes in it at either end of the car to absorb moisture

E30S54
12-31-2011, 11:31 PM
What I do with my E30, is that I fill up all the air in the tire's to 40 psi, fill up the tank of gas, unplug the battery, and put in my garage covered until the summer, and during the winter, i plug in the battery and start it up to make sure everything is good!.