PDA

View Full Version : Anybody rust proof their car from day one?

gravyface
11-29-2011, 08:45 AM
I've never owned a new car, and usually at some point one of the prior owners stopped rust proofing (or never did).

I always take mine to Krown (whether that's the best or not I don't know), but there's still rust.

I'd be curious to know if any of you guys have had a new car, drove it every winter, and had it rust-proofed, and whether or not it truly made a difference long-term.

SiR
11-29-2011, 10:32 AM
thats going to be hard to say because someone who rust proofs will not likely NOT rust proof another car they keep like that. And vice versa.

I think its impossible to prevent 100% in our climate if it sees winter use. the treatments help but no way are they as good as not driving the car in the wet/winter.

InfiniteDice
11-29-2011, 12:08 PM
Yearly inspections to find rust and kill it every spring are the only way to stop rust on a winter driven vehicle.

I have my car 95% rust free now. Remove rusted metal, weld in new metal, treat then coat new metal and seams with POR15, seam seal metal on the back side, bondo on the paint side, prime, paint.

I re-inspect the following year to see how the repairs are holding. I've had excellent results.