PDA

View Full Version : Where do you store your car for the winter?

M1_DRM
11-28-2011, 06:37 PM
Hey everyone,

Just wondering where everyone stores their car during the winter? I have been tossing my M3 in my parents garage for the longest time, but looking for a place as it is getting tight in there. I found a place in Toronto by chance on the web while looking for Black Friday deals. The prices looks good, but wanted to see what everyone else is doing? They have a site 'citadelstorage.ca' but i ending up calling them for the prices. The guy I was speaking too was nice and mentioned they have special rates for clubs and groups. What has everyone else seen out there? Want to do a bit of homework before I commit. ;)

Maybe I can get a group deal for MaxBimmer members !!! :)

M1_DRM
12-01-2011, 11:44 AM
Just an update.
I ended up storing my M3 at Citadel Storage. They had some good deals recently and he said he would extend the deals to MaxBimmer members. Not sure how he will do it but said to let the others member mention the site and he will extended the Black Friday deal. Pretty straight forward and the guy was cool about what options are available without pushing it. There are good deals if you have more than one car/motorcycle/rv/etc.....
check them out if you are interested www.citadelstorage.ca.. Tell them that Eric from the Maxbimmer site referred you.

Arash
12-01-2011, 06:54 PM
Mind sharing how much you're paying per month?

M1_DRM
12-01-2011, 07:56 PM
I don't mind at all.
There was 2 packages that he offered me and I went with what they called the 'Executive Package' for $200 a month. This included battery charging, tire pressure checks and adjustments, and some others stuff. The reason I went with this for the exercising of the vehicle. They have an indoor area where they will take the car for short drives regularily. The lower package I think was only dollars less a month.

Mention that you are a MaxBimmer member and he will extend the deal that I got. Unless you have more toys to bring him, i think he will give you a better deal. Pretty good guy.

noodles101
12-01-2011, 08:02 PM
^^ but do you really trust your M driven by other ppl without your supervision?

M1_DRM
12-01-2011, 08:20 PM
Sure. I look at it being pretty much the same as leaving it at a mechanics. They also record the KM in :) I doubt they would be that dumb to take drives with a customers car. Especially with the types of cars I seen in there. I think they are pretty professional about it. I guess I will wait and see.

1bmw1
12-01-2011, 09:05 PM
Hmm, this is interesting. I was looking for a place to store my newly aquired E46, but i would probably leave the driving to me.:)

M1_DRM
12-01-2011, 10:40 PM
I truly miss the car already, but was storing it in my parents garage, then my garage. Was a headache trying to move around it and not hit it when getting the snow blower out. A lot easier now and the place is climate control.

@1bmw1 - there is a package where they do not drive the car and it remains parked for duration. I choose for them to drive the car around indoors 1-2 months for tire rotation and let the car stretch out a bit.

propr'one
12-01-2011, 11:12 PM
why the hell would you want them to drive your car? This is a bad idea. Dont drive your car in the winter. Leave it stored, no reason to run it.

SiR
12-02-2011, 01:00 AM
why the hell would you want them to drive your car? This is a bad idea. Dont drive your car in the winter. Leave it stored, no reason to run it.

100% agreed

M1_DRM
12-02-2011, 10:17 AM
They don't drive your car outdoors. They drive it indoors only.

They have a huge facility and there is a section for exercising the cars away from all the other cars. I wouldn't agree to outdoor driving. That would be crazy.

This was one of the reason why I like this place - indoor driving. The place is pretty cool, if you have the need, check them out.

///Maluco
12-02-2011, 10:19 AM

^^^+1
Just overinflate your tires and top off your tank (incl. fuel stabilizer).
If they allow you to plug in a trickle charger, that would be a bonus. If not, remove the battery and bring it home.
As a side note, you can add some 2" blocks of styrofoam under each tire too to further reduce concerns of flat spotting. I've read recently that with today's tire technology, flat spotting tires over the winter months is something of the past. IMO, it doesn't take me that long to drive onto four pieces of thick foam so I still add them during storage anyways.
Add an open box of baking soda in the interior somewhere and leave a window slightly open for better air circulation.

BTW...Thanks for sharing the location and fees. I'm sure that will provide others with another option if they come across a situation like yourself.

M1_DRM
12-02-2011, 10:26 AM
@Maluco - Those are some good tips for storage. I did many of them when I was storing my car at home.

The bake soda trick is a new one I haven't heard of.

Thanks

325isdan
12-02-2011, 01:18 PM
Do they provide liability if they damage your car?

M1_DRM
12-02-2011, 02:10 PM
Yes, if they damage your car. You still required to have insurance on your car for theft and other stuff. They explained what was needed and what was covered.

TheMadChigga
12-02-2011, 04:18 PM
I'm sure they provide a good service, but $200/month is crazy in my books for storage unless its a 60ft boat.

NOTORIOUS VR
12-02-2011, 06:05 PM
I'm sure they provide a good service, but $200/month is crazy in my books for storage unless its a 60ft boat.

Agreed...

and I really have to LOL @ extra costs for battery & tire pressure maintaining? And driving around my car every so often? WTF? why would you want to do that?

Battery? disconnect the negative lead and it will be just fine, when spring rolls around connect it and drive away.

Tires? If you have no punctures, a few more PSI then normal and again you will be fine... flat spots are not an issue with modern tires as already mentioned.

Driving your car around every so often? DON'T DO THIS! This is BAD for your car. I really don't get why people believe the old myths where this is helping your car in any way.

$200/mo for storage? *drink* :moon:

M1_DRM
12-02-2011, 06:32 PM
I needed the space more than anything. There is a lower package where you can leave it there parked, i think its $25 less a month. Not much, that why I went with high package. And they do have boats in there, not sure about 60ft, but looked like 30-40 foot boat

T.Dot_E30
12-02-2011, 10:45 PM
Your better off renting a condo parking for $100/mth, some can be found for less if you look outside the city.

noodles101
12-02-2011, 10:47 PM
yup, bay and college , college park 1 condo. 70 bucks a month lol plus a car wash in the garage ... :D:D:D:D

M1_DRM
12-02-2011, 11:43 PM
LOL, perfect deal and your car is unsecure and sitting there for 6 months where anyone can do what they want. Let alone your insurance will love to hear that you stored your car in a public area. I like my car and I perfer the extra security. Public storage is a bad decision.

propr'one
12-03-2011, 01:26 AM
How is condo parking "public"? Anyone can do what they want? Condo's are pretty secure for the most part, obviously you could pick one that you thought was ok.

Besides, its a e46 m3, do you really need to store it in fort knox?

noodles101
12-03-2011, 01:33 AM
i believe condo security is pretty good. especially the newer condos... with a concierge 24/7, key card entry, and cameras. The college park condo dt where my buddy lives..the concierge knows you by your name..so im pretty sure they are not gunna let in any randoms.

NOTORIOUS VR
12-03-2011, 10:39 AM
LOL, perfect deal and your car is unsecure and sitting there for 6 months where anyone can do what they want. Let alone your insurance will love to hear that you stored your car in a public area. I like my car and I perfer the extra security. Public storage is a bad decision.

You're right, you should just let the storage facility drive your car around when ever they feel like it :rolleyes:

M1_DRM
12-03-2011, 11:44 AM
Everone has their own comfort level where they store there car. If you perfer a condo, or your driveway, thats cool. I have put a lot into my car and don't need to risk having someone mess with it. With the storage place, they are insured. I worry less with the storage place that has more expensive cars than mine, than the dealership and mechanics that get their car jockeys to move your car around.

You guys make it sound like the storage facility will use your car to go get lunch and their dry cleaning. They drive the car around indoors 1-2 twice a month, less than 1 km. I could also park it there with no driving around. My choice.

What's does everyone else do with their car, if you store it?

1bmw1
12-03-2011, 01:01 PM
Well, ill chime in on the idea of condo parking since i have many friends who own condos. Some are car enthusiasts, and some aren't. First off, the condo parking isn't as safe as you think they may be, cameres and all. I had two friends, one with a 996 porsche, and the other with a yukon truck come to find someone had hit their cars. The yukon couldn't even open his door properly. The security couldnt't make out a plate # in the porsche incident, and the police couldn't prove which car hit the yukon since the angle didn't appear that the guy hit him...both in two different condos. The third nightmare story of condo parking was the numerous break-ins during one weekend.

Just thought i would shed some light on close friend experiences in condo parking lots...and no these were no shady, low-end condos. New(5 year old) condos.

So just to have peace of mind knowing that your car is somewhere safe might be a better investement in the end, minus the driving around bit of course.

Supreme_sole
12-04-2011, 06:19 PM
200 bucks a month is nuts for storage.

There are people on this forum renting spaces for 70 bucks a month.

yellowfever3
12-04-2011, 08:37 PM
my friends 05 corvette stolen from his underground condo parking in sauga. caught the whole thing on camera. guys crawled in through the vents, opened the car door, and presto, out they go when the door opens for the next customer. M1 DRM said, its all about the comfort levels. My M3 is stored at the side of my house under a car cover. I remove the battery, keep it indoors, give it a trickle charge here and there, box of arm and hammer in the car, (some ppl say moth balls work to keep rodents away but i dont like the smell) and locked the doors. The truth is, if someone wants to steal your car, its as good as gone. that's why we pay for insurance right? If i could park it somewhere indoors, or in a garage that i could work on it during the off season, that would be ideal. But until then, car cover from ebay cut for an e36 is good enough for me.

sproule905
12-05-2011, 09:58 AM
Condo parking is not secure. They pay these clowns, what $10 an hour to open the front door, take your name down and let you in. Let alone, watching the 24 million camera's. Typically during the day they have 1-2 attendants on site, and at night there is one. Who's watching the camera's when he has to drop a deuce? I know the DVR of this equipment is good, but 9 times out of 10 the images are shit.

I owned a condo the las 3 years. The building was 5 years old - pretty up to date in terms of technology in my mind, but there were still many gaps!

my 2011 CBR 600RR was stolen right behind where I parked my car. And to top if off the security in the building was a total failure.

All it took and this was from the Police was a stolen licence plate, follow another car down, and you are in the money zone.

Thankfully I got everything I put into the bike, but never felt the same about the " amazing 24/7 security"

TheMadChigga
12-05-2011, 12:33 PM
Everone has their own comfort level where they store there car. If you perfer a condo, or your driveway, thats cool. I have put a lot into my car and don't need to risk having someone mess with it. With the storage place, they are insured. I worry less with the storage place that has more expensive cars than mine, than the dealership and mechanics that get their car jockeys to move your car around.

You guys make it sound like the storage facility will use your car to go get lunch and their dry cleaning. They drive the car around indoors 1-2 twice a month, less than 1 km. I could also park it there with no driving around. My choice.

What's does everyone else do with their car, if you store it?

If it makes you have peace of mind, then its worth it.

But as far as storage goes with normal rate, storing in condos all depend on area and the residents, me and my parents live in a condo complex for 12 yrs and you could leave a car with open doors and nothing will be taken from it, some are safe while some are not, it also helps if your friends/relative drive by the spot daily.

If condos is not your thing, there are specific indoor storage facility outside of the GTA that charge anywhere between $70-90/month and usually run out of spots by early Nov.

UZI-9MM
12-05-2011, 03:05 PM
Hey M1_DRM, thanks for the post.

This is something I always think about each winter, where to store my classic BMW.

I am going to go check them out...

alldaylngbmw
03-07-2012, 01:51 PM
Hey there,
I usually store mine at Auto Vault. From personal experience and from what I've read on other forums, people seem to be very happy with their service. They're very secure cuz they store mainly high-end vehicles. Just used them this past year, but give him a call - Gary. competitive pricing.

http://www.autovaultcanada.com

E30 Girl
03-07-2012, 03:18 PM
Your better off renting a condo parking for $100/mth, some can be found for less if you look outside the city.

I'll be happy to rent out a couple spots to max members next winter for $70 a month...I live in a condo with security and cameras.

5style
03-07-2012, 06:07 PM
I'll be happy to rent out a couple spots to max members next winter for $70 a month...I live in a condo with security and cameras.

I would like to go on that list, i am paying way more than that!!!

5style
03-07-2012, 06:09 PM
Hey there,
I usually store mine at Auto Vault. From personal experience and from what I've read on other forums, people seem to be very happy with their service. They're very secure cuz they store mainly high-end vehicles. Just used them this past year, but give him a call - Gary. competitive pricing.

http://www.autovaultcanada.com

$300 a month for open storage? jeeze id like to be loaded like you

E30 Girl
03-08-2012, 09:10 AM
I would like to go on that list, i am paying way more than that!!!

Let me know next year and we can work something out!

SiR
03-08-2012, 10:26 AM
^^^
Torque - How Far The Wall Moves
thats not technically correct...
unless the wall is rotating about a given axis...

5style
03-08-2012, 11:40 AM
^^^

thats not technically correct...
unless the wall is rotating about a given axis...

if you drive a car along an axis into a wall, its true. lol

Euro_7
03-08-2012, 12:37 PM
It's all about peace of mind, if you can afford $200 a month then that works for you. Personally, I have my car parked at my cousins condo for $50 a month. As far as security goes, it's parked beside an R8 and the owner seems like a nice guy and says he hasnt had a problem in years and if there is one we both pay insurance for a reason.

T.Dot_E30
03-08-2012, 01:25 PM
FYI: It isn't liquid salt, the reason they use it is because it's less corrosive and better for the environment. I think it's some sort of Calcium they spray on the roads.

Also depends on what you are storing also.

A $50k+ or $100k car probably requires a bit more security, but then again there are alot of 100k cars stored in garages around town, that's insurance is for as mentioned above.

For me, I ain't storing a car unless it's something rare that doesn't depreciate or a track car. Otherwise i'm driving that shit year round.

Of course if I owned a 4 garage house and owned several cars, then for sure thing i'd 'not drive' certain ones as much during the winter.

E30 Girl
03-08-2012, 01:39 PM
FYI: It isn't liquid salt, the reason they use it is because it's less corrosive and better for the environment. I think it's some sort of Calcium they spray on the roads.

Also depends on what you are storing also.

A $50k+ or $100k car probably requires a bit more security, but then again there are alot of 100k cars stored in garages around town, that's insurance is for as mentioned above.

For me, I ain't storing a car unless it's something rare that doesn't depreciate or a track car. Otherwise i'm driving that shit year round.

Of course if I owned a 4 garage house and owned several cars, then for sure thing i'd 'not drive' certain ones as much during the winter.

I agree with this as proven by the fact I used to drive the E36 all year round even when it was still in good shape. For me my car isn't really an ideal winter car and being that it's a Florida car and I went through all the trouble of getting a southern car I'll continue to store it...it also makes working on it soooooo much easier cause nothing is caked with crap and hard to take apart!

5style
03-10-2012, 12:08 AM
I agree with this as proven by the fact I used to drive the E36 all year round even when it was still in good shape. For me my car isn't really an ideal winter car and being that it's a Florida car and I went through all the trouble of getting a southern car I'll continue to store it...it also makes working on it soooooo much easier cause nothing is caked with crap and hard to take apart!

yeah im in that boat too, a e36 318 is no picnic in the snow, its downright horrid, because of a relatively low curb weight, meaning its super easy to get "framed" in deep snow and completely stuck even with lsd.

From experience bmw_7's 318 sedan with lsd got horribly stuck in montreal in deep snow multple times, had to get pulled out a few times, and it was even weighed down with weights over the rear axle too.

325 e36 on the other hand, also with lsd, no such problem, more weight from auto tranny, mid size diff, etc.

Last year I had to store my car outside, which was fine as there was no salt dust in MTL and the car was not on the street, didn't get ruined, but the one time I had to move it, I got stuck like a pita.

Thus, a s2000 with its low clearance and low weight is a recipe for no fun in deep snow.

The one thing that really bothers me about winter is the salting. Its overkill these days, and frankly if it wasn't for that, I think more people would winter drive. My car is clean and with e36s dropping like flies, no point in killing another i guess.

propr'one
03-10-2012, 05:21 AM
Linds' car is way cleaner than mine, and unlike here ontario uses salt, so i understand why she wouldn't want to drive hers in the winter. But my car and hers are both relatively low, relatively light cars with reasonable power. I drive mine in the snow (with no stories) all the time.

5style
03-10-2012, 10:43 AM
Linds' car is way cleaner than mine, and unlike here ontario uses salt, so i understand why she wouldn't want to drive hers in the winter. But my car and hers are both relatively low, relatively light cars with reasonable power. I drive mine in the snow (with no stories) all the time.

That midcase diff , tranny and s54 give you just enough weight in the right places, just like a 325 and up.

A z3 would be like a 318, hard time in deep snow.

propr'one
03-10-2012, 03:46 PM
A s54 weighs less than 100 pouds more than a m44.

Maybe over-filling the windshield washer reservoir will help? Or me eating a sandwich before driving?

5style
03-12-2012, 01:20 PM
A s54 weighs less than 100 pouds more than a m44.

Maybe over-filling the windshield washer reservoir will help? Or me eating a sandwich before driving?

s54 with accessories=326lbs
m42 with accessories=220lbs

106lbs extra on the front axle alone.

m roadster curb weight=3084.3 lb
318is curb weight=2,678 lb

Your m roadster weighs 406lbs MORE then a 318is. Are you trying to tell me that 400lbs makes no difference on traction???

*wave*

5style
03-12-2012, 01:27 PM
I should put 200lbs of sandbags on the rear seats and 100lbs in the trunk,and then I would have no problems either, other then accelerating LOL

BimmerboyPH
03-12-2012, 01:45 PM
Personally, I wouldn't store my car anywhere but my house. I'd rather slap a cover on it and leave it on my driveway then pay money to have it sat somewhere else.

Now to me also it dosent make sense to buy and have a car that you would want to store for winter, and not have a suitable place yourself for storage. I know many of you will disagree, thats just how I feel.

Currently I have more then enough room to store a few cars, but I drive an E90. Sure I'd love to store it and have a winter beater, but its just an E90, whats the point? I'd rather enjoy it then drive a POS in winter.

Axxe
03-14-2012, 02:49 AM
Park'n'fly. $100 a month haha.

propr'one
03-14-2012, 03:12 AM
I'd rather enjoy it then drive a POS in winter.

+1. Driving what was supposed to be my "summer car" in the winter was the best choice regarding motoring i've made in a while.

SiR
03-14-2012, 10:13 AM
if you have winter rubber the 318 should be plenty capable.

s2k's are great in the snow with winter rubber to...just about anything is.

some of my older cars actually got lower with my winter rubber and they were fine in the deep stuff. as long as you have enough speed.
(though even putzing through neighbourhoods in deep snow I never had any problems)

E30 Girl
03-14-2012, 11:18 AM
Took the car out last night checked the oil and filled the tires drove to work this morning...best feeling in a long time!

SiR
03-14-2012, 11:45 AM
its a great car

cisco911
03-14-2012, 02:42 PM
i believe condo security is pretty good. especially the newer condos... with a concierge 24/7, key card entry, and cameras. The college park condo dt where my buddy lives..the concierge knows you by your name..so im pretty sure they are not gunna let in any randoms.

Yeah? Tell that to my buddy that got his car stolen from his underground parking garage. Magically the cameras have no record of the car leaving the parking garage.

propr'one
03-14-2012, 03:51 PM
^^who gives a shit. Would your friend want the car back after it was stolen? No. Better insurance buys you a new one.

BimmerboyPH
03-15-2012, 10:58 AM
^^who gives a shit. Would your friend want the car back after it was stolen? No. Better insurance buys you a new one.

+1!