PDA

View Full Version : Hot tanking

knightowl
11-28-2011, 08:17 AM
I am wondering if a cylinder head with camshafts in can be hot tanked or I have to remove the camshafts before hot tanking?

T.Dot_E30
11-28-2011, 08:32 AM
Shouldn't matter if you are only getting it cleaned.

If you plan on getting it machined/re-surfaced, then you need to ensure all the values are seated and not sticking past the surface. You don't necessarily need to remove the cams for that depending on the type of head...

knightowl
11-28-2011, 10:35 AM
I was just planning on getting it cleaned, I just got a new m50 Non vanos engine (150 km vs my cracked one at 325k km), I was planning on machining my older one since I needed a new headgasket but found out it was cracked.

BigD
11-28-2011, 11:09 AM
I would think not. I mean you can but it won't be as clean as it could be and you'll want to take the cams off after that anyway to get lube back into the cam journals.

Ceeker
11-28-2011, 12:23 PM
won't matter just as long as you keep it tanked long enough and then rise with a pressure washer to get the cleaning agents off. Then use compressed air to blow and clean off residual water. Re-oil the lobes and surfaces and you're good to go! That is if you don't plan on doing any internal work on the head. Make sure as mentioned the valves are seated before decking the head.

if the head is cracked; toss it or spend the money to get it aluminum welded. no point in cleaning it. lol

knightowl
11-28-2011, 04:26 PM
I think I better take it all apart for maximum cleanliness, I am going to get everything cleaned and checked... if I do this, does it matter where each lifter and valve were? I know it does if I took it apart normally but since they are going to be cleaned and checked, would it really matter where they go back?

BigD
11-28-2011, 04:32 PM
Yes, especially the cam caps. These are line bored/honed and if you put them out of place your cams might not even turn.

knightowl
11-28-2011, 04:46 PM
should i even take the cams to the shop or just the head/lifters/valves? I can put the cam caps in the right place again so I don't mess them up. what about the nuts on each cam cap? is the location of that important?

Ceeker
11-28-2011, 05:22 PM
should i even take the cams to the shop or just the head/lifters/valves? I can put the cam caps in the right place again so I don't mess them up. what about the nuts on each cam cap? is the location of that important?

ok, seriously..if you aren't absolutely sure of what you are doing? send it out, have them disassemble, clean and reassemble. Spend a few buck for the assurance.

knightowl
11-28-2011, 05:24 PM
I have my older head to practice, it can't be a big deal.. spending $700 to do this vs $80 is ludicrous